2022 Texans: That’s the Power of Lovie

The Earl of Texas

He needs to find an offensive guru to run that side of the ball. It seems almost to perfect if a fit, but I would really like to see what he can do here.

Edit: there is also the caveat that is “easy” have a great defense with that roster. He won’t have that same roster here.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Basil said:

Lordy so I hate the sorry ass Texans. Can’t watch the Cowboys at the same time. My pirating skills suck. Fuck the Texans. I hope they relocate to Scranton.

How about let’s not lose our team again and have the McNairs sell the team instead to Jeff Bezos.

Edited by Macklemore

7 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Jacksonville is plying really well, they should be able to beat the Texans on the road. Just need Tennessee or Indy to take care of business at home and we are guaranteed the first pick, and hopefully we can draft our asses off, stop the tank, and start the build.

That fumble by Mills was just peak Texans. Fire everyone after the end of this season. If I owned the Texans and saw that the crowd was almost 50/50 with Chiefs fans (like the Eagles game), that fact alone would make me want to clean house. Get rid of anyone with a Patriots/BOB/Caserio connection. Caserio has whiffed on his 2 first rounders by taking injury prone CB over Sauce who is the defensive rookie of the year and the aggy G who was supposed to be a dominant run blocker but gets whipped at the line like a rag doll. The 2 coaches he has picked are the worst in the NFL each year. Don’t let Caserio have a chance to pick a 3rd coach in 3 years or waste our 2 1st rounders again.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dude… we are tanking… the point is to assemble a bad roster and disposable coaches. Caserio drafted well last year and hired two coaches to facilitate the tanking - he’s actually done well.

Then hire a good coach once capital needed for rebuild is obtained, improve overall talent via draft and in free agency, then have a chance to win more.

O’Brien stripped us of means to compete properly or even maintain a competent team - this was a necessary evil. Hopefully ending soon.

It’s early, but Stingley and Green look like shitty picks. Stingley has never been able to stay healthy, but they took him over Sauce because “Lovie liked him better” or some bullshit. 

Mitchie was a bad break, but I wouldn’t suggest drafting WRs with ACL tears at the top of the second round.

I’m there. Fire everybody, including Caserio. Not trading Tunsil is inexcusable. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Dude… we are tanking… the point is to assemble a bad roster and disposable coaches. Caserio drafted well last year and hired two coaches to facilitate the tanking - he’s actually done well.

Then hire a good coach once capital needed for rebuild is obtained, improve overall talent via draft and in free agency, then have a chance to win more.

O’Brien stripped us of means to compete properly or even maintain a competent team - this was a necessary evil. Hopefully ending soon.

If Caserio actually knew what he was doing, why would he hire David Culley, a clearly unqualified coach that no other team thought that was qualified to even be a coordinator for - coach in his 60s! That’s remarkable to be coaching that long yet no team college or pro think that you’re good/smart enough to be a coordinator.

Let’s say his plan was to hire a disposable coach for this shit period, the result was that he had hired such a laughably inept coach last year that he had to fire causing the team to eat $22 million. He followed that up by hiring Lovie Smith, who no other team in the NFL would have hired. That’s his track record. How about hiring a young coordinator as your disposable coach with the chance at least you might have lucked into a good coach. The truth is that Caserio hired Culley and Lovie because he wants to step out of his lane and put on a headset and pretend that he is a coach. He could roll over these 2 bottom of the barrel coaches and pick their assistants which no coach with any self respect and chops would allow. I also hate listening to his disingenuous verbal diarrhea saying nothing when he is interviewed on Payne & Pendergast. Fire his ass and hire a GM from any organization other than the Patriots.

Edited by Macklemore

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s early, but Stingley and Green look like shitty picks. Stingley has never been able to stay healthy, but they took him over Sauce because “Lovie liked him better” or some bullshit. 

Mitchie was a bad break, but I wouldn’t suggest drafting WRs with ACL tears at the top of the second round.

I’m there. Fire everybody, including Caserio.

Lovie likes Stingley better yet never maximized his talent by using him in man coverage. Being this inept is in reality kind of hard to do. Failure at every level of the organization. 

This team has never drafted players that fit their systems, which is why we've had so many wasted 2nd round and higher picks bust after a season. I guess the closest we got was with Kubiak, but that was only occasionally. They only way this team ever does anything is to get Payton and give him full control.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m there. Fire everybody, including Caserio. Not trading Tunsil is inexcusable. 

I completely agree with you on Tunsil. They absolutely should have gotten something for him. I wonder if there were any deals they turned down. I would have taken 2 second round picks for him.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I completely agree with you on Tunsil. They absolutely should have gotten something for him. I wonder if there were any deals they turned down. I would have taken 2 second round picks for him.

Tunsil thinks he is an All Pro level talent and expects to paid like one. He always has 1 or 2 drive killing false starts a game. He had 2 back to back in the Cowboys game in the 4th Qtr.  A GM who understands value and building a winning roster would have traded his ass for picks. Watch, they’ll extend and overpay for this loser in the off-season.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/16/2022 at 6:52 PM, Ignatius said:

Bryce Young and Will Anderson will both play in the Sugar Bowl. If I were either of their agents/fathers I’d be screaming at them, but as a fan I love it. If we stay at #1 one of those guys should be the pick…

Oh, we’re gonna stay at the #1 pick.  The Texans are in competition with themselves…..and they’re losing.

On 12/18/2022 at 10:07 PM, Macklemore said:

Tunsil thinks he is an All Pro level talent and expects to paid like one. He always has 1 or 2 drive killing false starts a game. He had 2 back to back in the Cowboys game in the 4th Qtr.  A GM who understands value and building a winning roster would have traded his ass for picks. Watch, they’ll extend and overpay for this loser in the off-season.

Lulz

• Hook 'Em 1

I hated the Stingley and Green picks last year. Stingley was always hurt, but was SECSEC and allegedly better ceiling than Sauce. I didn’t watch aggy so I hoped maybe Green was some slam dunk future probowl guard and maybe this is how smart teams build through the trenches. On draft night I was very envious of the Jets taking Sauce and Wilson (then later grabbing DE Jermaine Johnson and RB Breece Hall) and thought based on similar number and positions of picks, Houston could’ve had that draft class. Further, the best GMs are supposed to be patient and watch the board fall into place, and make move up or (usually down) based on value. Texans wanted Stingley and Green several days out, and leaked it thoroughly to 610 and 97.5. LZ kept parroting their phrase that “Stingley has all the intangibles!” and “Green is an ass-kicker that will transform the run game!” I guess it’s nice Caserio moved back a couple spots before taking Green, but I wonder if he even considered anyone else.

I may be alone on this branch, but I have never subscribed to the annual belief that the worst teams must draft QB and the QB of the college team that won the most games in the past 1-2 seasons is worthy of a first pick. There are more mediocre, bad, or outright bust QBs than perennial pro bowlers in recent first rounds. The talking heads all wanted a team (including Texans) to take Malik Willis in the first round. Bears gave up two firsts for Mitch Trubisky. SF gave up 3 firsts for Trey Lance. I think Bryce Young is a great college qb with low chances of being a consistently great NFL qb. We shouldn’t take him because we need a QB if the draft value isn’t justified, and at the same time some other dumb ass team will probably offer multiple high picks to move up. As an amateur Mel Kiper, I wouldn’t take any of this year’s QBs in the top 20 picks, and probably nobody other than Young or Stroud in the top 60.

Houston has major holes at DL, WR, and as soon as Tunsil leaves at OL. Taking the 5’10 Young at #1 and throwing him into this shit box does nobody any favors. Caserio will probably waste the Browns pick on a TE or another guard.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

DL is the biggest area of need on this team with the most need for top end draft talent. I can’t remember a NFL team so devoid of DL talent like the Texans. We should have taken Thibodeaux or Jordan Davis with one of our 1st round picks. Picking Stingley over Sauce is going to haunt us like passing on Darrelle Revis in 2007. Tricky Rick drafted Amobi Okoye ahead of him. The Jets hired the head coach I wanted us to hire and drafted the players I thought were better too. No surprise they’re in playoff contention. Don’t let Caserio blow these picks. Clean house and fire everyone and hire Eliot Wolf as GM and have him hire DeMeco (if he is willing to run the Shanahan offense) or a young OC from the McVey/Shanahan coaching tree as HC. This team needs an identity so it would be hard for me to pass on a top QB. The only problem with Bryce is that his frame is not as big as we’d want. Obviously, it would be better to wait for Caleb Williams next season but might not have the opportunity to get him unless we are the top pick. 

Edited by Macklemore

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Beating the Titans is always allowed, even more so when we are still 2 games clear of #1. The Browns losing was a Christmas present that was needed.

I am afraid the Texans are now going to draft Levis at #1, which scares the crap out of me.

Anything that makes Bud Adams spin in his grave (crypt) is fine with me....

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 7:06 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

I hated the Stingley and Green picks last year. Stingley was always hurt, but was SECSEC and allegedly better ceiling than Sauce. I didn’t watch aggy so I hoped maybe Green was some slam dunk future probowl guard and maybe this is how smart teams build through the trenches. On draft night I was very envious of the Jets taking Sauce and Wilson (then later grabbing DE Jermaine Johnson and RB Breece Hall) and thought based on similar number and positions of picks, Houston could’ve had that draft class. Further, the best GMs are supposed to be patient and watch the board fall into place, and make move up or (usually down) based on value. Texans wanted Stingley and Green several days out, and leaked it thoroughly to 610 and 97.5. LZ kept parroting their phrase that “Stingley has all the intangibles!” and “Green is an ass-kicker that will transform the run game!” I guess it’s nice Caserio moved back a couple spots before taking Green, but I wonder if he even considered anyone else.

I may be alone on this branch, but I have never subscribed to the annual belief that the worst teams must draft QB and the QB of the college team that won the most games in the past 1-2 seasons is worthy of a first pick. There are more mediocre, bad, or outright bust QBs than perennial pro bowlers in recent first rounds. The talking heads all wanted a team (including Texans) to take Malik Willis in the first round. Bears gave up two firsts for Mitch Trubisky. SF gave up 3 firsts for Trey Lance. I think Bryce Young is a great college qb with low chances of being a consistently great NFL qb. We shouldn’t take him because we need a QB if the draft value isn’t justified, and at the same time some other dumb ass team will probably offer multiple high picks to move up. As an amateur Mel Kiper, I wouldn’t take any of this year’s QBs in the top 20 picks, and probably nobody other than Young or Stroud in the top 60.

Houston has major holes at DL, WR, and as soon as Tunsil leaves at OL. Taking the 5’10 Young at #1 and throwing him into this shit box does nobody any favors. Caserio will probably waste the Browns pick on a TE or another guard.

Then take Stroud.

And while I continue to be a Bryce Young naysayer, I’d pose the questions:

Who was a better NFL prospect coming out of college, Tua or Young? (If your answer isn’t Tua, you have major hindsight bias)

Would you take Tua #1 overall if you knew then what you know now about how he has played in the NFL?

24 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Denver is unlikely to win either of their remaining games - Lions and Vikings. 

If we pull out one more win they get the first pick, because of our dogshit tie in Week 1. Jax should beat us but Indy is really bad.

Denver has 4 wins. For them to pick ahead of us, they have to lose both and the Texans have to win both. 

Denver fires Hackett, joining (almost assuredly) us in the HC competition with Colts and Panthers. Sean Peyton may go somewhere this year and Denver might be an attractive spot for him with Russ there and good draft pieces. I just hope there’s enough disarray in Indy to dissuade Ryan’s or Steichen from going to our division but not us.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

Minshew is NOT the answer….

With his injuries I doubt there was any market for Cooks.

Tunsil, not sure why y’all are so desperate to trade him. Teams would kill for a potential All-Pro LT in a position to be re-Signed. At 28 you may want a younger guy but having a guy who gives up that little pressure when you may have a new QB incoming is ideal. I’m good to keep and overpay a bit for that, plenty of great LTs have played great through age 32 and 33.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

14 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

If we got Steichen out of Philly for HC, I would love to draft Young out of Bama and an OL with the Cleveland pick. Would be a jump start.

If we were to get Ryans, good with whatever plan he’d like.

Ryans sued the Texans in 2014. I'm not saying it would prevent the Texans from hiring him, but I don't think they're on the best of terms. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ryans sued the Texans in 2014. I'm not saying it would prevent the Texans from hiring him, but I don't think they're on the best of terms. 

He sued the Texans and the NFL because of the turf, not because he treated him poorly or anything - I don’t know that he would turn down the promotion and payday if he felt the situation would be a good spot to start his HC career. But it is possible, no one would blame him I don’t think.

• Hook 'Em 1