Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

6 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

As a mongoloid who is unable to discern what is happening with a play in real time, I greatly appreciate these types of breakdowns. 

Twin Peaks Finale GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

I get that they had 8 in coverage, but were they not doing that earlier in the drive?  We had moved it on that drive by dumping off passes.  Why did we have to run all three downs?  To a dummy like me, it just seems like you create more space.  

6 hours ago, Tex Long said:

For the old and stupid among us, elucidate the uneven footing. Please.

Colt was a true leader who bled orange and could win games in the clutch. Ewers is an uber talented guy that constantly gets hurt and doesnt have the "it" factor. I would take Colt 10 times out of 10 over Ewers. Colt would be undefeated with this current team and most of the games would be blowouts by 30+ points. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Your point is fair. But there really is no comparison between these two guys and the implication that they are on level footing is dumb. 

There was no comparison between these 2 based on their 2nd seasons. You are comparing the McCoy you remember in his 3rd and 4th season to Quinn in his 2nd. You really dont know how Quinn would look in his 3rd and 4th season. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

There was no comparison between these 2 based on their 2nd seasons. You are comparing the McCoy you remember in his 3rd and 4th season to Quinn in his 2nd. You really dont know how Quinn would look in his 3rd and 4th season. 

Correct, because he won't stay around for us to find out. Another difference between the two guys. They arent really comparable at all. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Because he has the tools to be drafted higher than Colt even without production 

Great. And therefore he wont leave a longhorn legend like Colt unless he magically heals up and leads us to the national title game. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

If he comes back and we somehow win a big 12 title he will be just as successful as Colt minus a title game appearance. 

Colt led us to a 3-1 record over OU, was a Heisman candidate three times, and had us a Gideon dropped pass away from back to back national championship game appearances. Please dont disrespect Colt like that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Correct, because he won't stay around for us to find out. Another difference between the two guys. They arent really comparable at all. 

Correct. Ewers may go in the 1st round after 2 seasons. That was not  decision Colt had to face. I doubt we get the chance to see if Ewers makes the same jump in year 3 that he did from year 1 to year 2.We will never know the answer, but I highly doubt Colt would have passed up 20 million, despite bleeding burnt orange. I do tip my hat to Nash. He put this out specifically for people like you to get bent out of shape. Excellent troll game

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Correct. Ewers may go in the 1st round after 2 seasons. That was not  decision Colt had to face. I doubt we get the chance to see if Ewers makes the same jump in year 3 that he did from year 1 to year 2.We will never know the answer, but I highly doubt Colt would have passed up 20 million, despite bleeding burnt orange. 

Say what you want but Colt wouldve stayed 3 years minimum and his family wouldve pushed for him to stay. You are wrong. 

9 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Say what you want but Colt wouldve stayed 3 years minimum and his family wouldve pushed for him to stay. You are wrong. 

maybe, maybe not. It is very rare for someone to turn down 20 million, especially if their family does not have that kind of money. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Because he has the tools to be drafted higher than Colt even without production 

If you're an NFL team are you going to draft a guy who has been hurt and missed games every year since sophomore year of high school with a first or second round pick?

I know he is not coming back.  But he needs to prepare himself for a potential slide to 3rd or 4th round.  Especially if he shows up to the combine at 195.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Cherry picking Colt's worst year against Quinn's best (so far) is dumb. Pop up those numbers for their first year and prepare to laugh.   

Quinn only played in 9 games and a quarter of alabama, if you "pop" those stats up they aren't that laughable. If you consider what Quinn averaged and give him 3 more games then their stats are comparable. Quinn took over at qb for a program that was 5-7, Colt took over from Vince fucking Young and a national championship team. In what world are those comparable? Quinn would have raped college defenses running that offense Colt ran, his intermediate and short passing game is fucking elite. Sark asks Quinn to make NFL throws regularly. With all that said I love Colt, he's top 5 best Longhorns of all time and I'll fight anybody who disagrees. He was and is a legend. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

If you're an NFL team are you going to draft a guy who has been hurt and missed games every year since sophomore year of high school with a first or second round pick?

I know he is not coming back.  But he needs to prepare himself for a potential slide to 3rd or 4th round.  Especially if he shows up to the combine at 195.

Friendly reminder that Josh rosen was a first round pick, ryan tannehill played wr for two seasons then switched to qb and was taken in the first round out of sheep fucker U, and the browns took baker mayfield/johnny manziel without learning any lessons from it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Quinn only played in 9 games and a quarter of alabama, if you "pop" those stats up they aren't that laughable. If you consider what Quinn averaged and give him 3 more games then their stats are comparable. Quinn took over at qb for a program that was 5-7, Colt took over from Vince fucking Young and a national championship team. In what world are those comparable? Quinn would have raped college defenses running that offense Colt ran, his intermediate and short passing game is fucking elite. Sark asks Quinn to make NFL throws regularly. With all that said I love Colt, he's top 5 best Longhorns of all time and I'll fight anybody who disagrees. He was and is a legend. 

Exactly. I went to Texas during the Colt years, but the rose-tinted glasses some us us look at players from that era with can be fucking ridiculous when evaluating their careers in comparison to our current players. It mostly comes down to what they did as 5th and 6th year seniors vs what our current guys have done at 19 and 20. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

As a RS freshman, Colt was going to go to NY as a Heisman finalist before he busted his shoulder against K-State in November.

Correct. People here are acting like he was a scrub his first two years. His freshman year we were gonna be big 12 champs and finish #3 in the regular season before Greg Davis went full retard and ran him 3 QB sneaks in a row against K State. 

33 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Quinn wouldve lasted 3 games in that offense before he got hurt. That's one of Quinns biggest issues, his durability. Hasnt played a full season for us and probably never will. 

44 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

If Quinn was smart, he would come back and prove he is durable and improve to a first round pick. Rather than be a 3rd or 4th round pick and take a huge discount on pay. He will get NIL money to return. 

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

If Quinn was smart, he would come back and prove he is durable and improve to a first round pick. Rather than be a 3rd or 4th round pick and take a huge discount on pay. He will get NIL money to return. 

Decent odds he gets hurt again and drops.  He should go.

I am just saying if I was a GM, no way am I spending a first or second on him.  Too many injury red flags.  Not enough college game tape.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Correct. People here are acting like he was a scrub his first two years. His freshman year we were gonna be big 12 champs and finish #3 in the regular season before Greg Davis went full retard and ran him 3 QB sneaks in a row against K State. 

I don't think anyone called Colt a scrub his first year.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Decent odds he gets hurt again and drops.  He should go.

I am just saying if I was a GM, no way am I spending a first or second on him.  Too many injury red flags.  Not enough college game tape.

All of this. 

Quinn goes early because of his talent.

But I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some teams have taken him off of their draft board completely due to his injury history. 

Don’t be stupid.

The entire reason he is going to go into the draft is that he will not be a third or fourth round pick. He is unlikely to fall past the middle of the second round and could easily be mid-late first. Any injury concerns are a reason to take your chances in that scenario, not to “prove he is durable” in college as if that’s something under his control.

If he ends up getting a 3-4 round grade I do imagine he comes back but that does not appear to be the consensus’s opinion right now.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Colt led us to a 3-1 record over OU, was a Heisman candidate three times, and had us a Gideon dropped pass away from back to back national championship game appearances. Please dont disrespect Colt like that. 

It's weird that you chose to criticize a QB who got injured in college by using another QB who got injured in college as an example. It is also weird that you used the potential of a QB leaving because he was thinking about his draft stock to compare him to a QB who got hurt in the championship game and was rumored to not come back in because he was worried about his draft stock.

• Fuck You 5

34 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's weird that you chose to criticize a QB who got injured in college by using another QB who got injured in college as an example. It is also weird that you used the potential of a QB leaving because he was thinking about his draft stock to compare him to a QB who got hurt in the championship game and was rumored to not come back in because he was worried about his draft stock.

You think Colt sat against Bama to protect his draft stock? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah okay dude

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Their total stats to this point in time in their Texas careers would probably be more fair. 

Ding ding. Compare them in total starts not just 7 games of one season. Dumb stat is dumb. @The_Great_Hornsby was right.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Colt’s freshman season is better than anything Quinn has shown to date.

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

He didn’t come back because his arm didn’t work. It was widely reported at the time that he could complete a throw across the training room to his dad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

He didn’t come back because his arm didn’t work. It was widely reported at the time that he could complete a throw across the training room to his dad.

Shoutout to GDGD. For his next trick he is going to run QB power with Major Applewhite.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If only Quinn took over a team that was defending national champions 

Then what are we even talking about. This started with a stat post comparing them for 7 games in their redshirt sophomore season. What’s the point of that? It tells us nothing. You can’t hand wave away Colt’s success because he played for a good team. Greg Davis was calling his plays lol. Colt never had a group of weapons like this team has. 

Colt was Heisman candidate level in every season he was here except his sophomore year. If you compare their full tenures to this point, they aren’t comparable. That’s not a slight on Quinn. He just hasn’t been at that level yet. 

Edited by hobbes2702

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Then what are we even talking about. This started with a stat post comparing them for 7 games in their redshirt sophomore season. What’s the point of that? It tells us nothing. You can’t hand wave away Colt’s success because he played for a good team. Greg Davis was calling his plays lol.

Colt was Heisman candidate level in every season he was here except his sophomore year. If you compare their full tenures to this point, they aren’t comparable. That’s not a slight on Quinn. He just hasn’t been at that level yet. 

IDK really.....I think it's stupid to compare both of them regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, cochamps said:

I get that they had 8 in coverage, but were they not doing that earlier in the drive?  We had moved it on that drive by dumping off passes.  Why did we have to run all three downs?  To a dummy like me, it just seems like you create more space.  

First, K-Rob ran the ensuing kickoff back to like the 50. On 1st down we checked it down to Brooks, who is shiftier than Baxter and made the first man miss. 8 yards. Then we went fast and ran a WR screen to Worthy and picked up another 1st. Then we came back with the same screen and Worthy, who would've been tackled at the LOS made a move and picked up 10. After that is when the shenanigans happened. Basically if we used the short passing game as our extended run game we were fine. All this was done out of 11 personnel.

When we started the game UH came out in the 3-3-5 but when we went heavy they presented us this. Essentially they spun down defenders into the box to handle the extra run personnel as we were showing them 12(two tight ends and one back). That left them with a single high safety and a corner looking like he was in press man vs one of the fastest WRs in college football(bottom of your screen).

Worthy1.thumb.png.b7b3b2703fd0a7ad7cc549faeb0aef9a.png

We ran the same counter look, pulling the guard TE combo that we showed earlier but this time Ewers pulls it. UH is biting on the playfake, effectively freezing the single high safety just long enough that he can't get over the top. Looks like UH tried to show press and bail out of it as the DB turned and ran at the snap with even thinking about pressing.

Worthy2.thumb.png.8393acfe0bd73818eb22fe18be503d94.png

Safety is out of the pic and Worthy has erased any advantage dude had when he tried to turn and bail vs one of the fastest players in college football.

Screenshot(443).thumb.png.2581203b25c0b033ba165e3b112e5e17.png

Not that it mattered if the safety was closer because QE threw and absolute dime here, hitting him right in stride.

Screenshot(444).thumb.png.88de986b452a86690624982cb0d73d34.png

UH looked like they didn't believe Ewers could throw like that but they soon made an adjustment and stayed in true 3-3-5 flyover no matter what personnel package we rolled out. Below is us in back in the aforementioned 12 personnel and they now have 3 safeties deep. They would rather roll the dice against the run game vs the quick strike death of Mitchell or Worthy over the top.

Screenshot(445).thumb.png.b239cbc58187cc082fc867bdfefb5065.png

Same thing here as well.

Screenshot(446).thumb.png.a9374a241986e9d92bc4919c35f91ec8.png

Even here when we are in 11 personnel they have 3 guys a full 15 yards off the ball.

Screenshot(447).thumb.png.b108d06e816beffac42b76da23859100.png

Once again, we needed to be able to force them out of that. We were able to punish them when they tried to get numbers in the box and left them a little light on the back end. We have to be able to punish them for leaving the box light as well. So when we see this and we say QE checked it down a bazillion times, there is the reason why. UH kept 3 deep and were dropping their second level to squeeze QE's throwing windows.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1