Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i apologize, but i’m failing to understand the point of the posts directed at me that are mentioning other unanimous no.1 recruits. tim tebow, adrian peterson, jadaveon clowney, trevor lawrence, etc etc. i’m genuinely asking, because i don’t understand what point y’all are trying to make. all of those guys were far better college football players than QE has been which only supports the point i’ve been making, specifically that QE’s hype- the fan expectations, the heisman talk, the projected first round draft grade, etc- are a product of his HS rankings (and the fact that he has arm talent) and not based on his actual body of work as a college QB.

Welcome back... hope you're feeling better

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we’re not talking about 5 star recruits, we’re talking about recruits with a perfect 1.000 rating.

also i’m not sure what your point here would be in the first place, considering that Lawrence actually did live up to his hype, from physically taking care of himself to his performance on the field. that’s not a comparison that works favorably for QE.

He was consensus #1 by everyone, and thus was, in fact, a perfect 1.0000. 

And also a gigantically hyped recruit, considered the best qb prospect ever.  So no, that makes quinn not the the biggest thing ever since vince

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i apologize, but i’m failing to understand the point of the posts directed at me that are mentioning other unanimous no.1 recruits. tim tebow, adrian peterson, jadaveon clowney, trevor lawrence, etc etc. i’m genuinely asking, because i don’t understand what point y’all are trying to make. all of those guys were far better college football players than QE has been which only supports the point i’ve been making, specifically that QE’s hype- the fan expectations, the heisman talk, the projected first round draft grade, etc- are a product of his HS rankings (and the fact that he has arm talent) and not based on his actual body of work as a college QB.

If you are referring to my post, I was commenting on your misunderstanding of what the perfect rating meant.  It does not mean that the services thought Quinn is the best QB since Vince.  It simply means there was a consensus agreement that he was the top recruit for his class.  That is rare, but it's occurrence is more coincidental than anything else.  Every year a player has a .999X rating because one or 2 of the sites has him #3 overall or something instead of #1, and there is no discernable difference between a 1.000 rating and a .999X rating (that occurs yearly) because none of the services have the capability to evaluate to that level. 

The perfect rating is a red herring, but Quinn absolutely was an incredibly hyped recruit and he's at Texas, so yes that absolutely driving  public narrative about his ability which was your overall point, and I agree with that.

• Like 2

Holy shit this thread is a beat down. Texas has had 2 QBs with perfect recruiting rankings and more than a handful of Texas fans were unbearable cunts to to both of them through 1.5 years of play. At least people are not calling for Quinn to be a WR yet, like they did with VY. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Arch Manning’s “people” which include two SB winning QBs and a grandfather who just happens to run a prestigious QB camp told him to play his senior year of HS. Told him to play all four years of college before going pro. Wanted him to sit and learn his freshman year of college and to stay and graduate and also to play his whole time here. To learn under Sark. 

Quinn’s people (or QE makes all his own decisions) told him against Ohio State’s advice to not play his senior year of high school, and to allegedly leave early for the NFL.

If we were talking about any other position but QB, either approach could be the right  one. Now with NIL kids don’t have to leave early to get paid. QE is making money. We know he’s talented but now he’s been injured three times since his junior year of HS where he has missed and possibly will miss a few games.

At the start of the season he was a top 3 QB. Now many of the mock drafts I see online have him not only after Maye and Caleb. They also have him after Penix and McCarthy. If he misses significant time (we all hope not) and we don’t make the CCG and CFP this year, there will be more hype for the QBs that are in it and eyeballs on them. He’s already out of the running for a Heisman as is Caleb who probably regrets he stayed his final year but he’ll be compensated as a number 1 pick. 

TLDR: I think Arch’s people are giving him better advice than Quinn’s people and Arch’s people actually know what the fuck they are talking about and have the receipts to back it up. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

If you are referring to my post, I was commenting on your misunderstanding of what the perfect rating meant.  It does not mean that the services thought Quinn is the best QB since Vince.  It simply means there was a consensus agreement that he was the top recruit for his class.  That is rare, but it's occurrence is more coincidental than anything else.  Every year a player has a .999X rating because one or 2 of the sites has him #3 overall or something instead of #1, and there is no discernable difference between a 1.000 rating and a .999X rating (that occurs yearly) because none of the services have the capability to evaluate to that level. 

The perfect rating is a red herring, but Quinn absolutely was an incredibly hyped recruit and he's at Texas, so yes that absolutely driving  public narrative about his ability which was your overall point, and I agree with that.

got it, thank you for clearing that up. i really don’t follow recruiting, so everything i’ve read about this has been after-the-fact, and i’m finding out that i don’t understand the nuances of the ratings like i thought i did.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Not a cat said:

Arch's people also have the wherewithal to not give much of a fuck about cashing in immediately.  Doesn't mean their advice is also not sound but it certainly helps them focus on the long term 

Quinn's family was loaded before he became a big deal. Different strategies, and that's ok.

We'll see if it works out for him long-term, but hopefully he comes back this year and leads us to a Big 12 title.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Arch Manning’s “people” which include to SB winning QBs and a grandfather who just happens to run a prestigious QB camp told him to play his senior year of HS. Told him to play all four years of college before going pro. Wanted him to sit and learn his freshman year.

Quinn’s people (or QE makes all his own decisions) told him against Ohio State’s advice to not play his senior year of highschool, and to allegedly leave early for the NFL. 

If we were talking about any other position but QB sure either approach could be the right  one. Now with NIL kids don’t have to leave early to get paid. QE is making money. We know he’s talented but now he’s been injured three times since his junior year where he has missed and possibly will miss a few games. At the start of the season he was a top 3 QB. Now many of the mock drafts I see online have him not only after Maye and Caleb. They also have him after Penix and McCarthy. If he misses significant time (we all hope not) and we don’t make the CCG and CFP there will be more hype for the QBs that are in it and eyeballs on them. 

TLDR: I think Arch’s people are giving him better advice than Quinn’s people and Arch’s people actually know what the fuck they are talking about and have the receipts to back it up. 

Uhhh I’d like to interject that Quinn committed to Texas first, but some raging asshole caused him to look elsewhere. The same raging asshole that I’ve seen you say has better results than Sark lol. It’s a little disingenuous to give Quinn shit for following bad advice when Texas hiring an incompetent piece of shit is what messed up his plans in the first place. Everything else was solid. 

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Uhhh I’d like to interject that Quinn committed to Texas first, but some raging asshole caused him to look elsewhere. The same raging asshole that I’ve seen you say has better results than Sark lol. It’s a little disingenuous to give Quinn shit for following bad advice when Texas hiring an incompetent piece of shit is what messed up his plans in the first place. Everything else was solid. 

Yeah I think once he saw Texas wasn’t a legit option anymore he just wanted to get to the league faster. Sark comes in, he wants back in with Texas but the hand was already dealt. 

6 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Arch's people also have the wherewithal to not give much of a fuck about cashing in immediately.  Doesn't mean their advice is also not sound but it certainly helps them focus on the long term 

QE came from a bit of money already and is cashing in quite nicely. This is not a kid from an impoverished background so “don’t judge him for being all ‘show me the money’” type of deal. I don’t judge anyone for wanting to make money. Good for them! Make as much as they can for as long as they can. 

If Quinn stays he has a chance for a Heisman and perhaps be an overall top pick. that is not happening for him this year. Gets one more year with Sark to work on things and bulk up more.  Most good HCs have said (bc I read and watch the draft) they don’t like it when a QB leaves early. Period. Quinn can do what he wants but I think he’s getting bad advice to leave this year. If that’s what he’s being told.

That’s my opinion. If you think different, great! You’re entitled to your opinion. Ofcourse if QBs just want to avoid Chicago this might be the year to go pro. I don’t see how Caleb sidesteps a lot of the shitty shitty teams no matter what his dad says or thinks. 

21 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

God fucking damnit. I hated Herman. Never wanted him. Wanted him fired one year before they pulled the trigger. QE did himself a disservice by not playing his senior year. And I think he will be doing himself a disservice by leaving college early. I wish him the best and hope he gets a great NFL contract and plays for a great team as long as he wants as their QB1. But if he doesn’t pan out I can point to exactly why. It didn’t have anything to do with talent. It will be due to the fact that he left early. And it impacted his growth and maturation process and QB development physically and mentally. 

Ohio state told  Quinn to play his senior year. He went against their advice. Road the bench and bolted for Texas (where he always wanted to go) once we canned Herman.

By the way, with NIL and the portal it doesn’t take 8 fucking years anymore to win a CCG and be in the CFPs. Mack didn’t have the portal or NIL when he was at Texas and towards the end got really lazy and got his ass canned. Sark has both NIL and the portal. And a roster most people would kill to have. And future roster loaded with potential. And draft picks. 

You may dislike my takes but yours seem to be no one should criticize Sark. Or QE because of your reasons.  If I were you, I’d invest in a blindfold and earplugs because if Sark doesn’t get it done in a few years all you will hear and see is criticism and you’ll run out of people to scold and tell they shouldn’t criticize or post bc they disagree with you. You’ll be on an island with like 5 people. It took sark ten years as a HC to go 5-0. That happened this year. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

God fucking damnit. I hated Herman. Never wanted him. Wanted him fired one year before they pulled the trigger. QE did himself a disservice by not playing his senior year. And I think he will be doing himself a disservice by leaving college early. I wish him the best and hope he gets a great NFL contract and plays for a great team as long as he wants as they’re QB1. But if he doesn’t pan out I can point to exactly why. It didn’t have anything to do with talent. It will be due to the fact that he left early. And it impacted his growth and maturation process and QB development physically and mentally. 

Ohio state told  Quinn to play his senior year. He went against their advice. Road the bench and bolted for Texas (where he always wanted to go) once we canned Herman.

By the way, with NIL and the portal it doesn’t take 8 fucking years anymore to win a CCG and be in the CFPs. Mack didn’t have the portal or NIL when he was at Texas and towards the end got really lazy and got his ass canned. Sark has both NIL and the portal. And a roster most people would kill to have. And future roster loaded with potential. And draft picks. 

You may dislike my takes but yours seem to be no one should criticize Sark. Or QE because of your reasons.  If I were you, I’d invest in a blindfold and earplugs because if Sark doesn’t get it done in a few years all you will hear and see is criticism and you’ll run out of people to scold and tell they shouldn’t criticize or post bc they disagree with you. You’ll be on an island with like 5 people. It took sark ten years as a HC to go 5-0. That happened this year. 

Where did you get the part about Ohio state wanting quinn to play his senior year? Are you sure you've never said Herman was doing better than Sark? lol. I can't stop anybody from complaining or vomiting their expectations all over these boards ma'am. You have free run to do whatever you want to do here, but I can respond to it. I won't need a blindfold or earplugs to get by haha. I just thought it was a little shitty for you to bring up ohio state and quinn since it was Texas's coach who pushed him there in the first place. Then it's even shittier to mention Arch having better support after the manning family blessed Sark who you believe is in over his head. The mannings who you just said have the receipts to prove they make good decisions trust Sark but you think he won't ever make it because he's the OC and HC. There's a lot of contradictory shit in their, but I'll bow out because this is way too far into the weeds again haha. 6-1, bout to be 7-1. hook em 

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Where did you get the part about Ohio state wanting quinn to play his senior year? Are you sure you've never said Herman was doing better than Sark? lol. I can't stop anybody from complaining or vomiting their expectations all over these boards ma'am. You have free run to do whatever you want to do here, but I can respond to it. I won't need a blindfold or earplugs to get by haha. I just thought it was a little shitty for you to bring up ohio state and quinn since it was Texas's coach who pushed him there in the first place. Then it's even shittier to mention Arch having better support after the manning family blessed Sark who you believe is in over his head. The mannings who you just said have the receipts to prove they make good decisions trust Sark but you think he won't ever make it because he's the OC and HC. There's a lot of contradictory shit in their, but I'll bow out because this is way too far into the weeds again haha. 6-1, bout to be 7-1. hook em 

Herman had a better record than Sark did at the end of two years but I never praised Herman. Statistically it’s true. Doesn’t mean I think Herman is better HC. Herman can coach he’s a train wreck. Herman also managed to have a better record all the while being an off the field train wreck and scaring off a lot of top recruits (like Quinn) and that takes some skill. 

this is why QE left HS (from an article written a few years ago) because he couldn’t play HS football in Texas and cash in. Read this quote and tell me that he made the right choice:

Ewers is the first football prospect to hopscotch from high school to college early in order to take advantage of NIL. Whether that becomes a trend remains to be seen. Ewers and his family were clear in an earlier interview with Yahoo Sports that they wanted Ewers to play his senior year of high school and be able to capitalize off of his NIL. "We don’t need the money,” Quinn Ewers told Yahoo Sports recently. “It’s just the principle of it.”

Sark can also be a great OC and great person and great coach to learn under if you’re a QB and other skill positions. That doesn’t mean he can win it all. I hope he does. Because I will eat as much crow as people tell me to and tell y’all I was wrong and an impatient idiot that doesn’t know football from my left foot. Hook’em! 🤘🏼

Edited by Nicole44

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Herman had a better record than Sark did at the end of two years but I never praised Herman. Statistically it’s true. Doesn’t mean I think Herman is better HC. Herman can coach he’s a train wreck. 

this is why QE left HS (from an article written a few years ago) because he couldn’t play HS football in Texas and cash in. Read this quote and tell me that he made the right choice:

Ewers is the first football prospect to hopscotch from high school to college early in order to take advantage of NIL. Whether that becomes a trend remains to be seen. Ewers and his family were clear in an earlier interview with Yahoo Sports that they wanted Ewers to play his senior year of high school and be able to capitalize off of his NIL. "We don’t need the money,” Quinn Ewers told Yahoo Sports recently. “It’s just the principle of it.”

Where is the part about Ohio state telling him to play his senior year? I think we can both agree that 18 year old kids do some dumb shit lol. It's also fair to point out that he was a year older than his classmates at the time, he should have already been in college. Oh and he should have enrolled at TEXAS but coach coke head ran him off. He should have been there for Sark's first year, learning this complex offense and maturing from having a good HC who knows how to play qb. This should be his 3rd year in this offense but TEXAS fucked that up. Not quinn, not his family, HERMAN. We can go back and forth all day tho, lets agree to disagree. We both want Texas to win, and that's a positive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Where is the part about Ohio state telling him to play his senior year? I think we can both agree that 18 year old kids do some dumb shit lol. It's also fair to point out that he was a year older than his classmates at the time, he should have already been in college. Oh and he should have enrolled at TEXAS but coach coke head ran him off. He should have been there for Sark's first year, learning this complex offense and maturing from having a good HC who knows how to play qb. This should be his 3rd year in this offense but TEXAS fucked that up. Not quinn, not his family, HERMAN. We can go back and forth all day tho, lets agree to disagree. We both want Texas to win, and that's a positive. 

I will find an article for you. I’m dismissing a lot of them bc OHio State biased ones because they are dismissive of QE bc he left them for us after riding the bench. Lots of sour grapes and opinions about him leaving early for college when college will always be there. And the fact he never made a dent in the lineup during his time there. I remember watching a few programs that mentioned OHio State didn’t wasn’t to miss out on losing Quinn on their team when he decided to forego but thought they had more than a chance to get him if he’d played his senior year of HS because we still had Herman and it appeared would be keeping Herman and therefore lose out on Quinn period. 

Edited by Nicole44

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

no one is denying the rumors, i’m sure there was a person or five at every watch party who though colt could have returned but was worried about his draft stock. we all know that *some* people believe this. it’s your refusal to own the fact that you’re insinuating that it his is the truth that has people giving you the middle finger (btw, am i the only one who thinks we should other neg reps besides ‘fuck you’?). you’re trying to say that colt could have returned but chose not to without owning it. if you don’t believe that’s what happened then stop posting it as nauseam. 

How far we go back Derka? 07 probably? We both have pretty much no filter and have said some crazy ass shit on this and the old site over the years. When have I ever said or even hinted at Colt could've gone back in the game? Never right? So me bringing it up now was just a little "Devil's Advocate" on a poster who keeps on about Ewers and nothing more. And I the reason for posting more of it was because people making it out like it wasn't the topic of the day at the time. I only responded to you about this out of respect. Everyone else can fuck the hell off.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Arch Manning’s “people” which include two SB winning QBs and a grandfather who just happens to run a prestigious QB camp told him to play his senior year of HS. Told him to play all four years of college before going pro. Wanted him to sit and learn his freshman year of college and to stay and graduate and also to play his whole time here. To learn under Sark. 

Quinn’s people (or QE makes all his own decisions) told him against Ohio State’s advice to not play his senior year of high school, and to allegedly leave early for the NFL.

If we were talking about any other position but QB, either approach could be the right  one. Now with NIL kids don’t have to leave early to get paid. QE is making money. We know he’s talented but now he’s been injured three times since his junior year of HS where he has missed and possibly will miss a few games.

At the start of the season he was a top 3 QB. Now many of the mock drafts I see online have him not only after Maye and Caleb. They also have him after Penix and McCarthy. If he misses significant time (we all hope not) and we don’t make the CCG and CFP this year, there will be more hype for the QBs that are in it and eyeballs on them. He’s already out of the running for a Heisman as is Caleb who probably regrets he stayed his final year but he’ll be compensated as a number 1 pick. 

As soon as QE gets in front of scouts and gets a workout in his draft stock will likely rise. Dude can sling it on the money effortlessly from all kinds of platforms with velocity and touch. QE, behind a solid NFL line, is going to be a different beast. Some of the above QBs have holes in their game that will come out when they are asked to hit different throws. OCs hide the shortcomings of their QBs, but the scouts will want to see all the NFL throws and that's when the cream rises to the top.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Ohio State definitely wanted him to stay in HS. They already had Kyle McCord as a true freshman EE on campus, and he was gonna be their 2022 guy. It threw a monkey wrench into their plans, but it worked out when he left OSU soon after they landed Devin Brown for the 2022 cycle.

They knew they would lose either McCord or Ewers.

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Ohio State definitely wanted him to stay in HS. They already had Kyle McCord as a true freshman EE on campus, and he was gonna be their 2022 guy. It threw a monkey wrench into their plans, but it worked out when he left OSU soon after they landed Devin Brown for the 2022 cycle.

Ohio state wanted to bet that a 18 year old kid would go back to school then commit to them later down the road versus him going to clemson, Michigan, bama or Georgia? Sorry but That’s bullshit. Nobody passes up a commitment from the #1 overall recruit, ever. You take the gamble and whichever one works out you win. Iron sharpens iron and you end up with a stud qb. 

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Yep. Quinn’s own parents wanted him to stay in HS. Finally found a salient article that pretty much indicates it was QE’s choice basically but that Ryan Day took more of a parent type stance on this which his parents appreciated:

“The Ewers family has indicated an appreciation of Ohio State coach Ryan Day’s handling of the situation, as Day’s perspective has been more grounded in that of being a parent than a coach. The family has been in conversation with Ohio State about this potentially happening for several weeks.

Quinn Ewers laid out his decision this way. “If I enroll at Ohio State, obviously I’d be able to make money off the deals, and I feel like it’d be a big advantage of learning the playbook and getting comfortable with the campus and all my teammates. But if I stay and don’t get paid, I may be able to win a state title.”

it is what it is. 

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

QE, behind a solid NFL line, is going to be a different beast.

Most NFL lines - relative to what they face on D - are worse than Texas. Texas pass protects pretty damn well - we aren't holding Quinn back. 

Quinn has shown me nothing to believe that he'll be a good NFL QB. He will get drafted highly because of what you said about his workout profile. 

51 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I'm not sure what shows you've been watching, espn, on3.. ect, are big on Quinn.  dillhole from USC was a shoe-in to reapeat... well, he's kinda fell out of contention.  Prime Jr. jumped into the mix, he's unmixed now.  Quinn is still in the conversation and hasn't done anything to hurt that.  We are 6-1 with a 3 point loss to OU on a coverage breakdown in the last few seconds.  It wasn't Quinn who lost us the game.  He's having a sophmore year that's much better than Colt's sophmore year and that's without having a RS year in the system to learn before taking over.

That throw to X-Man is why the NFL likes his upside. most QBs need a windup to throw that. Quinn just flicked his wrist and the ball materialized in Worthy's hands. It's hard to get into position to  defend against that.... He used to hit those in HS consistently. I think the expectations he/we put on him fucked with his head some, but like a great batter going through a slump, they eventually snap out of their own head...  He isn't an interception matchine. He gets sacked (alot is the system a lot of the stretching the field Sark likes to do, are slow developing plays that require the O-line to hold...  which doesn't always happen.  But at least he doesn't cough up the ball often, nor does he panic and just throw it up for grabs like many do.

Sark's system revolves around the QB play heavily, and for someone with like 14 games in the system, he's handled it just fine.  Yes he had great support. So has many others who have started as true freshmen....   Especially when they've played behind a very green O-line like he did last year. Hell, the o-line is still raw this year and prone to mistakes which isnt surprising.  It takes time to develope a good line. 

It's like everyone expected super MVP Payton Manning QB play and not a true freshman, just graduated kid as the starting QB...  Vince had his struggles..  Colt had his (not so much his RS freshman year thanks to an NC supporting cast around him, but his sophmore year was almost as rough as Quinn's freshman year.  Vince came into his own his Sophmore year after redshirting.  Colt came into his own his Junior year after redshirting.  Quinn hs like 14 college games under his belt.  he has the talent to be really good, he just needs more experience )(and experienced line).

I think next year (IF he for some reason came back) would be when everything came together and we would see why everyone is so high on him.  even if he doen't, the O-line will be baked which will help whoever starts

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Based on draft order I want him to fall a bit in the first round if that’s where he winds up going. No one knows what any team will do or who is some team’s can’t miss pick. We can’t see their boards or what teams are high on Quinn. But the further down you fall in most cases in the first round the better chance of you going to a decent team with a decent head coach and weapons and decent ownership. Like falling isn’t the worst thing with the draft order (as it stands now but trades will surely happen) for 2024. I just prefer QBs stay and develop. It’s not just a Nicole thing. Many Head Coaches in the NFL feel the same way. Doesn’t mean because they have said that they will pass on QE though. There is a long list of QBs who didn’t work out/busts or became just backups that left early. It’s not just about his arm on the pro level. It’s the fundamentals as well as QB IQ. Most guys at the pro level can make all the throws in practice at least. Game time is another story and Quinn has shown he can make all the throws in big games. What he hasn’t shown is consistency. Given the slow start he got last year bc (a) he wasn’t taking things as seriously as he should playbook wise in his own words and was also injured (b) still has room to improve I’d prefer he stay but the choice is his and I made the comparison to Arch because the people advising him seem to have a lot of good life experience and want him to stay. We’d agree that outplaying your rookie contract is where the big time bucks come. Not your signing initially. But all starting QBs get big bucks for sure. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Most NFL lines - relative to what they face on D - are worse than Texas. Texas pass protects pretty damn well - we aren't holding Quinn back. 

Quinn has shown me nothing to believe that he'll be a good NFL QB. He will get drafted highly because of what you said about his workout profile. 

Huh? Our O-line early in the season got confused with simple line stunts. Guys were coming in untouched. After we got that shored up Quinn has been tossing it at near an 80% clip. The thing that most of us are forgetting is that Sark's route designs are almost always hitting a receiver while moving. They require timing and getting the ball out quickly. We rarely have stationary receivers sitting down in zones. Despite that fact Quinn is Elite at throwing balls in traffic.

I get you are not a fan of Quinn but I want you to think about something. We have a Doak Walker back in our backfield and yet every week teams, when faced with which part of our offense to take away, decide that Quinn Ewers is the biggest problem. Last week UH after getting a large penis in the rear in the 1st quarter played the whole rest of the game with 3 safeties 12 yards off the ball no matter what kind of heavy run package we rolled out. So if defensive coordinators are giving him that respect maybe we should too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Huh? Our O-line early in the season got confused with simple line stunts. Guys were coming in untouched. After we got that shored up Quinn has been tossing it at near an 80% clip. The thing that most of us are forgetting is that Sark's route designs are almost always hitting a receiver while moving. They require timing and getting the ball out quickly. We rarely have stationary receivers sitting down in zones. Despite that fact Quinn is Elite at throwing balls in traffic.

I get you are not a fan of Quinn but I want you to think about something. We have a Doak Walker back in our backfield and yet every week teams, when faced with which part of our offense to take away, decide that Quinn Ewers is the biggest problem. Last week UH after getting a large penis in the rear in the 1st quarter played the whole rest of the game with 3 safeties 12 yards off the ball no matter what kind of heavy run package we rolled out. So if defensive coordinators are giving him that respect maybe we should too.

I can't wait until Sark gets a real QB under center and all of you realize how fucking ridiculous this babying and apologizing is for this JAG. 

Teams run dime packages against Quinn because they know he isn't good enough to beat them. He doesn't read shit. He doesn't throw guys open. He has a nice completion % because he checks the ball down all the time. 

The sooner we move on from this guy the sooner y'all are going to realize that Sark knows what he's doing. I hope it starts this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Quinn is really good considering his lack of experience 

No. I get it. Most of you think that and you think that Sark is the issue despite one of them having a phenomenal track record and the other being completely unproven.

I'm really curious to see what happens Saturday. And I'm happy to come back here and eat dick if we lose because our QB play isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

And fuck me, man. I like Quinn. I think he's tough as shit and I think he's a good kid that cares. We've certainly had worse QBs on the 40.

I just don't think he's the guy. I've seen enough at this point. Y'all keep saying he hasn't started that many games like he isn't running out of time here. 

We have a dude on the roster that could be really, really special. And I'll keep saying that I think that when he starts slinging it y'all are going to forget about QE real quick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And fuck me, man. I like Quinn. I think he's tough as shit and I think he's a good kid that cares. We've certainly had worse QBs on the 40.

I just don't think he's the guy. I've seen enough at this point. Y'all keep saying he hasn't started that many games like he isn't running out of time here. 

We have a dude on the roster that could be really, really special. And I'll keep saying that I think that when he starts slinging it y'all are going to forget about QE real quick. 

put down the drugs.

200.gif

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can't wait until Sark gets a real QB under center and all of you realize how fucking ridiculous this babying and apologizing is for this JAG. 

Teams run dime packages against Quinn because they know he isn't good enough to beat them. He doesn't read shit. He doesn't throw guys open. He has a nice completion % because he checks the ball down all the time. 

The sooner we move on from this guy the sooner y'all are going to realize that Sark knows what he's doing. I hope it starts this weekend. 

Man. You really dislike this guy. Here is the thing my guy. You look around the country and you see all these teams with QBs chucking it all over the lot. We don't have a wide open offense like that. We aren't spreading teams from sideline to sideline, forcing them to declare what coverage they are in by alignment. Our sets are pretty compact. We also aren't running 5 wide and forcing them to cover all those receivers one on one. We throw a lot out of heavy sets. Sometimes we are throwing to 3 receivers against 7 and 8 defenders dropping.

Teams aren't just running dime packages, they are running 3 deep safeties and bracketing AD and Worthy, always keeping a man with them and over them. The issue isn't Sark or Quinn. The real issue is we can't just line up and bully them out of lining up with a 3 man front running the football. We keep busting assignments in the run game allowing teams to stay in that defense. My hope is that with Murph teams will start trying to take away the run game by overloading the box and he will get more open space to throw the football.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

A different qb playing great doesn’t have to mean Quinn isn’t also playing very good ball right now. 

I want all UT QBs to play their best. And to win games. How we win and who we win with at QB isn’t really as important to me. Sure I want to see what Maalik can do healthy. Same with Arch and hope Quinn can heal soon and go back to playing lights out like he did the Bama game.  I support who is on the field and everyone on the team. As I posted before I don’t get why people can’t just support who is on the field. It’s not like the job has been taken from Quinn. He can’t play. And until he can I root for whoever the QB is on the field. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3

Based on draft order I want him to fall a bit in the first round if that’s where he winds up going. No one knows what any team will do or who is some team’s can’t miss pick. We can’t see their boards or what teams are high on Quinn. But the further down you fall in most cases in the first round the better chance of you going to a decent team with a decent head coach and weapons and decent ownership. Like falling isn’t the worst thing with the draft order (as it stands now but trades will surely happen) for 2024. I just prefer QBs stay and develop. It’s not just a Nicole thing. Many Head Coaches in the NFL feel the same way. Doesn’t mean because they have said that they will pass on QE though. There is a long list of QBs who didn’t work out/busts or became just backups that left early. It’s not just about his arm on the pro level. It’s the fundamentals as well as QB IQ. Most guys at the pro level can make all the throws in practice at least. Game time is another story and Quinn has shown he can make all the throws in big games. What he hasn’t shown is consistency. Given the slow start he got last year bc (a) he wasn’t taking things as seriously as he should playbook wise in his own words and was also injured (b) still has room to improve I’d prefer he stay but the choice is his and I made the comparison to Arch because the people advising him seem to have a lot of good life experience and want him to stay. We’d agree that outplaying your rookie contract is where the big time bucks come. Not your signing initially. But all starting QBs get big bucks for sure. 

Truth is somewhere in between these. Quinn is not elite at hitting guys in stride. He constantly sails the ball and even in completed passes receivers are often skying for the the ball. NFL throwing windows will be a problem for him. He’s had several fortuitously dropped picks that would be caught by NFL defenders.

He’s also not a JAG. I mean, in the not so distant past we were watching Ewers from last year, Hudson Card, Casey Thompson, freshman Sam Ehlinger, Tyron Swoopes, etc. As Texas fans we should know a pretty good QB when we see one because we have seen plenty that aren’t.
  • Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Man. You really dislike this guy. Here is the thing my guy. You look around the country and you see all these teams with QBs chucking it all over the lot. We don't have a wide open offense like that. We aren't spreading teams from sideline to sideline, forcing them to declare what coverage they are in by alignment. Our sets are pretty compact. We also aren't running 5 wide and forcing them to cover all those receivers one on one. We throw a lot out of heavy sets. Sometimes we are throwing to 3 receivers against 7 and 8 defenders dropping.

Teams aren't just running dime packages, they are running 3 deep safeties and bracketing AD and Worthy, always keeping a man with them and over them. The issue isn't Sark or Quinn. The real issue is we can't just line up and bully them out of lining up with a 3 man front running the football. We keep busting assignments in the run game allowing teams to stay in that defense. My hope is that with Murph teams will start trying to take away the run game by overloading the box and he will get more open space to throw the football.

All good points. Except your weird fascination with me disliking him. I like whoever puts up numbers and wins games. 

I'm standing firmly by my position that we can do better. And I think we will. I think our sets would look more effective and make the D sweat more if we had a QB running them properly. 

He just doesn't find big gains or make big plays in the passing game when it isn't a designed play or read. And I don't know what the YAC breakdown is for this season but it has to be at least half his passing yards.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Any injury updates on QE?  Surely something has been leaked to the 9.95 ers or big cigars, practice pics , in a sling or not?

Think a good problem to have is Malik or Arch plays good enough to get to big12 championship then you have to choose.

Why can’t we have a situation where all three are championship.  Didn’t Ohio state win with Cardale Jones?

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He’s also not a JAG.

Fair enough but I think he will be JAG when it comes to the dudes we start getting in the pipeline. He shouldn't be some standout that we are lucky to have once every 5 or 10 years - and in that respect I think he is JAG. 

4 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Oh and he should have enrolled at TEXAS but coach coke head ran him off. He should have been there for Sark's first year, learning this complex offense and maturing from having a good HC who knows how to play qb. This should be his 3rd year in this offense but TEXAS fucked that up. Not quinn, not his family, HERMAN.

I know Herman ran off Quinn, but nothing was stopping him from enrolling at Texas once Sark was hired. Sark was hired in Jan 2021 and Quinn enrolled at OSU that fall to get his $1M. He could have left HS early and came to Texas under Sark but he didn’t because he wanted his money by going to OSU. 

57 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Quinn is not accurate at hitting receivers in motion. His timing is one of the big issues with his game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Truth is somewhere in between these. Quinn is not elite at hitting guys in stride. He constantly sails the ball and even in completed passes receivers are often skying for the the ball. NFL throwing windows will be a problem for him. He’s had several fortuitously dropped picks that would be caught by NFL defenders.

He’s also not a JAG. I mean, in the not so distant past we were watching Ewers from last year, Hudson Card, Casey Thompson, freshman Sam Ehlinger, Tyron Swoopes, etc. As Texas fans we should know a pretty good QB when we see one because we have seen plenty that aren’t.

This post should be stickied 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

He's currently averaging 9 yards/attempt

• Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I know Herman ran off Quinn, but nothing was stopping him from enrolling at Texas once Sark was hired. Sark was hired in Jan 2021 and Quinn enrolled at OSU that fall to get his $1M. He could have left HS early and came to Texas under Sark but he didn’t because he wanted his money by going to OSU. 

I feel like you’re trolling me here but I can’t tell. You would be ok if your kid passed up the money to go back to a school that gave you dumpster fire impressions and shit canned their douche bag coach who ran you off in the first place? All the while hiring a HC who has a somewhat colored past as an alcoholic. I feel like he did the smart move and took the time to see what Sark was all about before he transferred. I could be wrong though. Point still stands that Texas fucked that up from the get go, I mean we had him committed for fucks sake. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Quinn's biggest issue is he's relatively unrefined. All his injuries in high school combined with losing that year of play really stunted his progress. Also going from a spread, binary, this-or-that system to Sark's full field read system is a pretty big hurdle and I'm starting to believe Sark has picked up on the fact that Texas high school QBs have issues going from a spread to his system. Hence the pattern of not recruiting Texas high school QBs sans Troy Owens who just so happened to play in more of a full field system at CY-Fair.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

All good points. Except your weird fascination with me disliking him. I like whoever puts up numbers and wins games

Like being 6-1 as the starting QB? How about beating bama in Tuscaloosa? 245 passes without tossing an Int? 5 rushing TD’s through 7 games as a bang average mobile qb? How about 640 yards and 5 TD’s in his career against blOwU already? I have an irrational hatred for Steph curry the same way you dislike Ewers lol. 

• Hook 'Em 3