Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

32 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Is Sark projecting also? Because he’s the one who said Quinn wasn’t going through his reads well. I’m watching a QB miss wide open receivers because he isn’t going through his reads. 

He actually said Quinn should have taken some of the shots and not dumped it off. He thought Quinn was a touch too risk-adverse.  That was about the Houston game, not sure when you are pulling the Sark comment. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He actually said Quinn should have taken some of the shots and not dumped it off. He thought Quinn was a touch too risk-adverse.  That was about the Houston game, not sure when you are pulling the Sark comment. 

Yes. He didn’t make his reads and missed open receivers because he kept checking down immediately after his first read.

23 hours ago, Fico said:

Vince was drafted #3 - he likely never goes higher.

His limited success in the NFL was due partly to his immaturity and mostly for playing for the most average head coach of all time, who didn't want him from the start.

Entering the draft was the right decision for Vince, as his #3 overall pick and associated contract/signing bonus can attest too.

He has said he only entered because he thought for sure that Houston would take him at #1.

If he comes back and we have another BCS run, he has an argument for #1 pick. In the 2007 draft, the top 5 were Jamarcus Russell (oof), Megatron, Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams, and Levi Brown. The next QB taken was Brady Quinn at 22.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yes. He didn’t make his reads and missed open receivers because he kept checking down immediately after his first read.

Quinn has shown that he doesn’t like to force passes unless absolutely necessary, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t see a wr open every damn play. He misses a few for sure, can you point me to a qb who never misses the wide open receiver? Malik showed that he’s willing to throw the ball in any window, and had byu DB’s not been atrocious he would have thrown 4 INT’s today. We will miss Quinn dearly against k-state. 

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hurr durr that’s because he checks down to his rb every play. He’d be even clucther if he could throw the deep ball hurr durr. He wasn’t 4th quarter clutch when our defense let Oklahoma drive down and score was he? Did I hit all the high notes from his biggest fan boys? Lulz 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Hurr durr that’s because he checks down to his rb every play. He’d be even clucther if he could throw the deep ball hurr durr. He wasn’t 4th quarter clutch when our defense let Oklahoma drive down and score was he? Did I hit all the high notes from his biggest fan boys? Lulz 

Dead nuts on sir!

• Hook 'Em 1

You actually missed the part about padding his stats/grading against Rice and Wyoming because he still is playing in Q4 against inferior opponents.
  • Haha 2

On 10/27/2023 at 9:32 AM, Matagorda said:

Quinn, because he seems to rise to the occasion.  

I watched Simms in real time. And then reviewed my taped (i know) game replays. He watched his receivers like a Jr high QB. Fragile also. Really nice kid but not a next level QB. Ewers has much more to prove before he’s considered elite. But he’s already better than the Chris Simms that underperformed so badly. I admit I was an Applewhite fan. He was a gamer! Ewers might be too. Time will tell. I should know. I’m Bobby Layne. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Not all checkdowns are bad. Someone upthread mentioned that "I would take 7-8 years on check-downs every time," That's fine unless the check-down is on a third or fourth down to a receiver who is well shy of the first down marker and a defensive player is barreling down on him. What good does that do other than padding his stats? Quinn has to have the situational awareness to understand what's needed at that time. Better to pass where there is a chance of a 1st down if the receiver catches it. These kinds of situational awareness differentiate the good from the great. Perhaps it will come with more experience. Quinn is not there yet, and it's fine to admit it.

Not all checkdowns are bad. Someone upthread mentioned that "I would take 7-8 years on check-downs every time," That's fine unless the check-down is on a third or fourth down to a receiver who is well shy of the first down marker and a defensive player is barreling down on him. What good does that do other than padding his stats? Quinn has to have the situational awareness to understand what's needed at that time. Better to pass where there is a chance of a 1st down if the receiver catches it. These kinds of situational awareness differentiate the good from the great. Perhaps it will come with more experience. Quinn is not there yet, and it's fine to admit it.

If it’s 3rd/4th down, should anyone be shorter than the sticks?

48 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

If it’s 3rd/4th down, should anyone be shorter than the sticks?

Yes, but the QB should not be throwing it to him unless the db was playing 10+ yards off like our DBs often do. Perhaps it's the direct result of what our defense shows in practice.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Pete Thamel, who has been Quinn's media mouthpiece since he came to Texas (and maybe before but I wasn't paying attention), said on Gameday this morning that there was "growing optimisim" that he'd be back next week.

This is an astute post.

On 10/28/2023 at 8:12 PM, WinningIsHard said:

Quinn has shown that he doesn’t like to force passes unless absolutely necessary, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t see a wr open every damn play. He misses a few for sure, can you point me to a qb who never misses the wide open receiver? Malik showed that he’s willing to throw the ball in any window, and had byu DB’s not been atrocious he would have thrown 4 INT’s today. We will miss Quinn dearly against k-state. 

This aged well. Sad but true. 

• Hook 'Em 1