Concerts you are attending

bamachine

I have never had the opportunity to see U2 live, despite them being one of my favorite bands.  Timelines and locations never worked out.

Before their first show a the Sphere, tickets could be easily found on ticketmaster - non-resale.  They are largely gone now.

My son will be in Vegas for a conference and he was able to score floor GA tickets - before the first show.  Face value was $300 + $70 handling fee.  I think the folks dove in hoping to resell.

On 10/6/2023 at 11:52 PM, C-Man said:

The Walkmen show was fantastic. If they’re coming to your town, go see them. They’re at Stubb’s tomorrow and ACL on Sunday.

I'll have to check them out today. I'm doing ACL via Hulu and I think they're on one of the 2 channels. Dave Grohl gave them, Death Grip and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs a recommendation from the state last night. 

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I'll be curious to hear your review. Not 100% how it will translate to 3:15 in the afternoon.

I'm not familiar with them at all beyond having heard the name, so I don't have any expectations. Either way the weather and people watching will be top notch. 

• Like 1

I'll have to check them out today. I'm doing ACL via Hulu and I think they're on one of the 2 channels. Dave Grohl gave them, Death Grip and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs a recommendation from the state last night. 

Doesn’t look like Walkmen are on Hulu today, sadly.

Wife and I watched Michigander and now finishing Dope Lemon. Wife knew of former, neither of us the latter. Dumb name but Dope Lemon was pretty good. We liked that one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Doesn’t look like Walkmen are on Hulu today, sadly.

Wife and I watched Michigander and now finishing Dope Lemon. Wife knew of former, neither of us the latter. Dumb name but Dope Lemon was pretty good. We liked that one.

Saw Dope Lemon and liked them. Some of the new artist...meh, all sizzle, no steak. Yeah Yeah Yeahs were awesome. Pretty cool for Mumford and Sons to play with Austin High band.

I was all in yesterday on Tanya Tucker, Alanis Morissette, Shania Twain and the Foo Fighters. Tanya is still a honky tonk queen. Alanis is still mad. Surprise was Shania joining the Foo for a song. Pretty cool. I'm old. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, DToro said:

Saw Dope Lemon and liked them. Some of the new artist...meh, all sizzle, no steak. Yeah Yeah Yeahs were awesome. Pretty cool for Mumford and Sons to play with Austin High band.

I was all in yesterday on Tanya Tucker, Alanis Morissette, Shania Twain and the Foo Fighters. Tanya is still a honky tonk queen. Alanis is still mad. Surprise was Shania joining the Foo for a song. Pretty cool. I'm old. 

i was shocked to learn that Tanya Tucker (64) is only 6 years older than Shania Twain (58).

59 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Jeebus. I though she must be in her late seventies. Her voice is still great but she looked pretty rough.

Yep. Two different attitudes as well. 

Tanya can still sing. Then she sat on her stool, bitched about her alignments and then told everyone to get off her lawn. 

Shania can still sing and dance. Then she was cat crawling on her motorcycle and was like, "Let's Ride!"

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, stc said:

based on her performance with the foo fighters, shania can't sing. honestly she ruined the song. 

I wouldn't say she can't sing.  Who knows how long she had to practice up on that song before going out there.  Was it a stellar collaboration?  No.  Was it fun and cool that it happened?  Yes.  Plus I thought it was pretty interesting they chose a divorce song to duet on given their personal histories.  

Awesome seeing the Foo Fighters at a "small" venue in Houston last night. ~5,000 capacity. While floor GA could create some blocked views at times, no one was far was the stage. Also unique without an opening act.

I found the secondary market ticking pricing interesting to watch and I ultimately pulled the trigger.  The price was trending down leading up to the final day and then jumped significantly on Tuesday. But within 2 hours of the show, some seller panicked and dropped 50% from earlier in the day. There is a benefit living close to the venue so you can take it or leave it if the price doesn't fit your budget.

5 minutes ago, GenXer said:

How was it? I’ve got ‘em Fri night in Irving.

They put on a great show. Played a lot from Rearrange Us, which is my favorite album of theirs. Played one or two new songs, and mixed in several covers or bits of covers (instrumental Fire on the Mtn/Casey Jones, Ring of Fire,  Killer version of The Weight as one of their encores) It's not in the pic, but their A/V show was good, too. 

• Like 1

I’m not familiar with them either but I’ve had Astrovan on my phone for years. Saw they were coming to town and picked up tickets after listening to a few other tunes.

I’m doing my part to support live music as the pandemic likely stripped many musicians of their primary source of income. I’ve hit 30 shows this year.

• Hook 'Em 3

You think there’s no fuckery in a presale?
Good luck.

Presales are worse, IMO. 

Picked up 4 for face value of $125. It was well worth the membership cost. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Tool Army presale has access to the entire venue and isn’t just relegated to a small area for the presale.

I’ll see how the chaos is during the public sale on Friday and price my two extra tickets accordingly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Who is going?  Saturday probably out for us so I may try to go for a Thursday or Friday show.  If I buy Thursday or Sunday tickets, my wife will probably back out at the last second and then I'll go by myself so I may have to pick a Friday show.  The Friday show at Far Out looks awesome!

levitation 2023 lineup poster

the well/high on fire/uncle acid on friday

die spitz/militarie gun/amyl and the sniffers then ghost funk orchestra on saturday

rickshaw billies/pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs on sunday 

my intense hatred of brian jonestown massacre will keep me from seeing the black angels for the first time in the history of this festival. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We'll try to make Saturday to see the girls.  

Not so great update:  tonight is the first night of their tour with Amyl, in Oakland CA.   But, covid hit the band right as they left Austin several days ago.  They're feeling good now, but jeez, it was a close call.  Hope the two who didn't get it don't end up getting it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, stc said:

the well/high on fire/uncle acid on friday

die spitz/militarie gun/amyl and the sniffers then ghost funk orchestra on saturday

rickshaw billies/pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs on sunday 

my intense hatred of brian jonestown massacre will keep me from seeing the black angels for the first time in the history of this festival. 

Interesting because I was thinking of that Black Angels show even though the timing is bad that Saturday.  Friday would work... http://www.thefaroutaustin.com/eventDetails.html#-NZ25VpEYpHuiNFbpxLW 

I've been on roll the last couple weeks. Last weekend we had Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Park all weekend. Probably Jason Isbell and Kurt Vile were the highlights.

This past Saturday I finally caught Billy Strings. Incredible show. - That was after my own band played a show in the afternoon.

Tuesday night was Brian Jonestown Massacer. They seemed a step below when I saw them previously.

Last night was unforgettable show with Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade. One of the best shows I've ever attended. At one point they played Pink Floyd's lp Animals in its entirety, note for note.

Finally, Amyl and the Sniffers w Die Spitz back at the same venue tonight.

This weekend I'm gonna rest up.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/12/2023 at 7:22 AM, CooterBrown said:

Picked up 4 for face value of $125. It was well worth the membership cost. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Tool Army presale has access to the entire venue and isn’t just relegated to a small area for the presale.

I’ll see how the chaos is during the public sale on Friday and price my two extra tickets accordingly.

also got pre-sale, for Denver show in February... i'm not in the Army but got a friend that is. my third Tool show, can't wait! 🤘

22 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Well?

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Their studio stuff doesn’t do their live performance justice. I was expecting something more folk-ish. Their live performance was more complex. It had a great and interesting mix of jam band and keyboards. The video board was a trip.

The audience was 20’s and got into what I assume were their hits. I found the songs where audience members held up their phones to be the least interesting; still good songs though. They played two sets and an encore. They closed with Astrovan. I enjoyed the first set the most because that’s where they surprised me with the jam band vibe.

I’d definitely see them again.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Their studio stuff doesn’t do their live performance justice. I was expecting something more folk-ish. Their live performance was more complex. It had a great and interesting mix of jam band and keyboards. The video board was a trip.

The audience was 20’s and got into what I assume were their hits. I found the songs where audience members held up their phones to be the least interesting; still good songs though. They played two sets and an encore. They closed with Astrovan. I enjoyed the first set the most because that’s where they surprised me with the jam band vibe.

I’d definitely see them again.

I took a buddy that had about as much exposure to them as you and he left saying almost the exact same thing. I described them to him as a jam band with great soul and pop hooks. He didn't get it from my probably terrible explanation, but he thoroughly enjoyed the show. We experienced the same thing as you...they'd take off on Casey Jones, or some other old song and the 20-somethign girls all looked lost and he and I were losing our minds. Did they play The Weight in the encore set? They did a killer version in Austin. 

• Like 1