2022 Season Team News and Notes(Between Games Thread)

BurntOrange&White

Go fuck yourself.
It's been 13 years. I don't care.

Yeah same zipperdick. The problem is if you can’t see who this team is then you deserve to have that eternal optimism stepped on each week. I applaud it. But like you said, after 13 years, it gets a little tiring.

I had hope also. But once Texas came out in the 2nd half and looked the same as the first, it was obvious how it was going to play out.

14 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Yeah same zipperdick. The problem is if you can’t see who this team is then you deserve to have that eternal optimism stepped on each week. I applaud it. But like you said, after 13 years, it gets a little tiring.

I had hope also. But once Texas came out in the 2nd half and looked the same as the first, it was obvious how it was going to play out.

I know who they are. I know. I explained all of this in the previous post. 

I am well aware how this will go.

Do I need to add this explanation to every post? I know. I know. I fucking know. Jesus Christ.

And yeah it gets a little tiring that at some point in the season I am not allowed to talk about anything except firing the coach.

But maybe that having that same conversation every year is not why I enjoy sports? Maybe I want to talk about something else? Simply talking about the title chase doesn't I have hope or some other moronic conclusion you have drawn. It's just something I enjoy discussing.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

FCB

— Xavier Worthy is engaged and connected with his teammates at Texas and doesn’t appear to be focused on anything other than helping the Longhorns win. Worthy might need to be coached a little harder by receivers coach Brennan Marion as Worthy’s pursuit and tracking of the ball this season appears to have dropped off from last season, when Worthy was a freshman All-American with 62 catches for 981 yards and 12 touchdowns. With two regular-season games left, Worthy has 44 catches for 584 yards and nine touchdowns.

— I’m hearing there’s nothing to rumors connecting Gary Patterson to the Nebraska head-coaching job. As I’ve reported previously, Patterson becomes eligible to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame if he’s out of coaching for three years. That is important to Patterson, who also happens to be enjoying his work at Texas as a special assistant to Steve Sarkisian and could very well be back in Austin next season. 

Patterson’s impact on the UT defense’s improvement has been huge this season, because Patterson does the advance scouting on opponents and helps the coaching staff put game plans together. Patterson did some of his finest work in helping put the Texas defensive game plan together to stifle his former school - TCU - last Saturday.

— I asked a team source why Texas didn’t run more to the left side against TCU - behind freshman star left tackle Kelvin Banks - and was told, “He (Banks) is still getting over a hand injury that makes it harder for him to run block than pass block.”

— As I reported in the Morning Brew on Wednesday, senior cornerback D’Shawn Jamison, who missed last week’s 17-10 loss to TCU with a concussion, has been practicing all week and is good to go for Saturday’s game at Kansas.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

By the way pff shows that we are basically equal running right versus left. For whatever reason we force more missed tackles going right though.

By the way pff shows that we are basically equal running right versus left. For whatever reason we force more missed tackles going right though.

you can say that again

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB

— Xavier Worthy is engaged and connected with his teammates at Texas and doesn’t appear to be focused on anything other than helping the Longhorns win. Worthy might need to be coached a little harder by receivers coach Brennan Marion as Worthy’s pursuit and tracking of the ball this season appears to have dropped off from last season, when Worthy was a freshman All-American with 62 catches for 981 yards and 12 touchdowns. With two regular-season games left, Worthy has 44 catches for 584 yards and nine touchdowns.

— I’m hearing there’s nothing to rumors connecting Gary Patterson to the Nebraska head-coaching job. As I’ve reported previously, Patterson becomes eligible to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame if he’s out of coaching for three years. That is important to Patterson, who also happens to be enjoying his work at Texas as a special assistant to Steve Sarkisian and could very well be back in Austin next season. 

Patterson’s impact on the UT defense’s improvement has been huge this season, because Patterson does the advance scouting on opponents and helps the coaching staff put game plans together. Patterson did some of his finest work in helping put the Texas defensive game plan together to stifle his former school - TCU - last Saturday.

— I asked a team source why Texas didn’t run more to the left side against TCU - behind freshman star left tackle Kelvin Banks - and was told, “He (Banks) is still getting over a hand injury that makes it harder for him to run block than pass block.”

— As I reported in the Morning Brew on Wednesday, senior cornerback D’Shawn Jamison, who missed last week’s 17-10 loss to TCU with a concussion, has been practicing all week and is good to go for Saturday’s game at Kansas.

FU_CHIP_BROWN.jpg

IT team notes

Steve Sarkisian once again mentioned having a good practice week. There’s no way to know how much of that will transfer to Saturday, but it is indicative of the players remaining hungry to win ballgames. IT heard there was a lot of enthusiasm during the week. Players were celebrating big plays and big thuds almost like it was a game. Really we heard they were having ’fun’ but we don’t want that to be taken the wrong way, they were still focused.

When a team struggles you check for any sign of changes and we didn’t hear about many (e.g., no difference in QB reps), though this sets up to being a pretty straightforward game: both teams will try and run the ball and hit play action. The intent is to run it and then run it some more, which makes sense given the opponent, the weather, Texas’ running back duo, and the persistent struggles in the passing game. If Texas avenges last season’s overtime loss, it will largely be thanks to the run game.

Some players who received more reps than normal this week included offensive guard DJ Campbell and wide receivers Savion Red and Brenen Thompson.

On the other side of the ball, it’s all about discipline. This has been a mostly disciplined unit this season but they’ll need a very strong game in that regard. Kansas has a lot of bells and whistles and two quality quarterbacks to make it go. Sources mentioned eye discipline and misdirection a handful of times. Texas defense also has respect for KU’s offensive personnel across the board, so it’s not just a coordination thing.

IT asked a source if Texas can duplicate the effort from the TCU game and the response was, “hopefully they don’t have two big busts like they did.” Good response. The coaches were happy with the effort versus TCU, but made a point of how impactful those two big plays were.

That led to IT asking if Gary Patterson was more involved during TCU game week. “He definitely had a little more bounce in his step and was more vocal around the facilities.”

D’Shawn Jamison is cleared to play and likely will play, but we wouldn’t be surprised if Terrance Brooks gets the start.

We’re getting closer to having conversations surrounding the portal, but we’re not quite there yet. With the season ongoing timing is sensitive. But, in asking about next year’s offensive line we heard Junior Angilau is expected to return. We also heard the only player guaranteed to start in the same spot is Kelvin Banks. Spring ball will feature intense competition.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Any truth to the rumor that the shriveled dicks running our offense let TCU steal our signs? 

Heard it for the first time on Roach's latest podcast. Fucking embarrassing if true.

https://247sports.com/podcast/horns247-podcasts-longhorn-blitz-the-flagship-and-state-of-recruiting-7/

Starts at 14:00. Also right before that, mention of an "operations failure" related to the recruits at the game. What's that all about?

Having Angilau back is huge from a leadership standpoint and raises the floor for the OL next year.
But in order for next year to be special, Sark has to figure out how to make Quinn effective and Quinn needs to master the mundane. 
Having a good OL is a big piece of that too. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We’re getting closer to having conversations surrounding the portal, but we’re not quite there yet. With the season ongoing timing is sensitive. But, in asking about next year’s offensive line we heard Junior Angilau is expected to return. We also heard the only player guaranteed to start in the same spot is Kelvin Banks. Spring ball will feature intense competition.

That doesn't sound very promising for the future of Jake Majors. RT was a given to be open but the guard spots and center are all a battle.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

41 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Any truth to the rumor that the shriveled dicks running our offense let TCU steal our signs? 

Heard it for the first time on Roach's latest podcast. Fucking embarrassing if true.

https://247sports.com/podcast/horns247-podcasts-longhorn-blitz-the-flagship-and-state-of-recruiting-7/

Starts at 14:00. Also right before that, mention of an "operations failure" related to the recruits at the game. What's that all about?

This rumor came up at the OSU game also. I its probably BS, but not the first time we have heard this. 

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

This rumor (sign stealing) came up at the OSU game also. I its probably BS, but not the first time we have heard this. 

We're definitely showing some tells. I dunno what all our signals are, but whatever, some of them sure as hell seem to be leaking.

Ian Boyd ended up being right about what he saw in the fall camp open practice:

Looking at these numbers comparing Ewers & Card this season:

& seeing how much Sark pared down the offense for Quinn in the KU game, former Boise St. & UW Head Coach Chris Petersen was right during the FS1 post-game show after the WVU game that Sark should've stuck with Card as QB1.

IT

Some random notes:

As of now Jaylan Ford and T’Vondre Sweat are expected back next season. Sweat would be huge for the defensive line. Obviously Ford would be big, too, but as a junior, Ford returning wouldn’t be a surprise. We’ll still be interested in their draft grades.

We’ve been somewhat confident Junior Angilau would return after missing the season due to injury. Our most recent checks have us a little less certain. We’re not saying he’s leaving, we’re just not sure what will happen.

Today a couple of sources in the program have stated they don’t think Xavier Worthy intends to leave. However, we’ll be watching that one until we hear of legitimate resolution one way or the other. There’s been smoke in too many places.

We have said Texas is looking for starters in the portal. That remains true. However, if they lose a young player or two unexpectedly, they may look to absorb that loss with a similar portal option and not necessarily a starter level player. Basically they’ll be going like for like. Where they need a clear starter they’ll be targeting the best the portal has to offer.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

IT

Some random notes:

As of now Jaylan Ford and T’Vondre Sweat are expected back next season. Sweat would be huge for the defensive line. Obviously Ford would be big, too, but as a junior, Ford returning wouldn’t be a surprise. We’ll still be interested in their draft grades.

We’ve been somewhat confident Junior Angilau would return after missing the season due to injury. Our most recent checks have us a little less certain. We’re not saying he’s leaving, we’re just not sure what will happen.

Today a couple of sources in the program have stated they don’t think Xavier Worthy intends to leave. However, we’ll be watching that one until we hear of legitimate resolution one way or the other. There’s been smoke in too many places.

We have said Texas is looking for starters in the portal. That remains true. However, if they lose a young player or two unexpectedly, they may look to absorb that loss with a similar portal option and not necessarily a starter level player. Basically they’ll be going like for like. Where they need a clear starter they’ll be targeting the best the portal has to offer.

Was just coming to post this....having Sweat return would be so huge for depth at that position. Also has On3 been super slow in loading for the forums today for you?

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Was just coming to post this....having Sweat return would be so huge for depth at that position. Also has On3 been super slow in loading for the forums today for you?

Sweat would be maybe the best interior lineman in the conference heading into next year if he came back.

Haven’t been on much today so not sure 

Edited by Hookem2147

Sweat returning would be huge, but “the staff is confident/the expectation is/etc” became a straight up meme in recruiting because of how often that would go the other way, so we’ll have to wait and see on that. I’d be surprised because I’m not sure how he’s going to significantly improve his draft grade, to be honest. But man, that would be big. A legit, experienced, four man rotation of Sweat, Murphy, Collins, and Broughton, with some spell snaps to go around for young guys like Ross, Bryant, and Bledsoe would be really stout. If Sweat leaves you’re looking towards those young guys to play bigger roles, which is always tough on the LOS.

Ford, on the other hand, could stand to improve in terms of consistency (the INT’s are great but he’s put some head scratchers on tape too) so I can see a clear path to a higher grade after another year. My base case has been that he returns.

Angilau hadn’t even been on my radar to return. I assumed he’d try his luck in the NFL at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/23/2022 at 7:21 PM, gmr548 said:

Sweat returning would be huge, but “the staff is confident/the expectation is/etc” became a straight up meme in recruiting because of how often that would go the other way, so we’ll have to wait and see on that. I’d be surprised because I’m not sure how he’s going to significantly improve his draft grade, to be honest. But man, that would be big. A legit, experienced, four man rotation of Sweat, Murphy, Collins, and Broughton, with some spell snaps to go around for young guys like Ross, Bryant, and Bledsoe would be really stout. If Sweat leaves you’re looking towards those young guys to play bigger roles, which is always tough on the LOS.

The Texas Football twitter page had about a four and half minute video of all the Srs talking a little about being at Texas and Sweat wasn't in it.

• Hook 'Em 1