2022-23 PGA Tour season

Wally Fairway

For all the drama that seemed to be hyped - the FedEx Championship changed this week with Matt Fitzpatrick moving up with a T2 from 40 to 10 in the standings and Chris Kirk going from 29 to 32 with his T29 this week. Lots of hype, little actual movement into/outta Atlanta next week.

Without looking, my guess is that this also solidified Brooks Koepka in the Ryder Cup with 4 of the top 7 being non-US players. Scottie, Max, and Harmon already in as qualifiers. 

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

For all the drama that seemed to be hyped - the FedEx Championship changed this week with Matt Fitzpatrick moving up with a T2 from 40 to 10 in the standings and Chris Kirk going from 29 to 32 with his T29 this week. Lots of hype, little actual movement into/outta Atlanta next week.

Without looking, my guess is that this also solidified Brooks Koepka in the Ryder Cup with 4 of the top 7 being non-US players. Scottie, Max, and Harmon already in as qualifiers. 

I don't think Fitz is winning from 10th. I'd bet it's one of the top 4 guys (I think Rahm is 4th?).

I may be wrong about the Ryder Cup auto qualifier - Xander T8 might get him above Brooks, and Max will pass him with his 7th; will be very close pointswise - I am not against Brooks being on the team, not against him being off the team either (but potential is better with him on the team)

Good luck Zach with these choices.

Refresher on how they handicap the FedEx Club Championship (for the record, I think it is a very regarded way to appease the simpleton fans)

FEDEXCUP STARTING STROKES FEDEXCUP RANK
10 under No. 1
8 under No. 2
7 under No. 3
6 under No. 4
5 under No. 5
4 under No. 6 - No. 10
3 under No. 11 - No. 15
2 under No. 16 - No. 20
1 under No. 21 - No. 25
Even par No. 26 - No. 30

19 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Refresher on how they handicap the FedEx Club Championship (for the record, I think it is a very regarded way to appease the simpleton fans)

How would you do it?  I hated the game within the game like they used to do it. Scottie wins if he’s in the top 10 and if Rory finishes x, Rahm finishes y, and Victor finishes z, with multiple permutations within. This way is straightforward and easy to follow 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

How would you do it?  I hated the game within the game like they used to do it. Scottie wins if he’s in the top 10 and if Rory finishes x, Rahm finishes y, and Victor finishes z, with multiple permutations within. This way is straightforward and easy to follow 

I agree the old way sucked, but I don’t like this way either.  I also don’t have an alternative that is better if the goal is to reward the guy who played the best golf over the entire year.

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I agree the old way sucked, but I don’t like this way either.  I also don’t have an alternative that is better if the goal is to reward the guy who played the best golf over the entire year.

Yeah, just make East Lake the final FedEx Champ tournament with more points available like BMW.

Results:  Have an East Lake tournament winner, and a FedEx total points winner.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't hate the new system, but would prefer they just award the season long POY that played consistently best over the season. There's a reason that the odds on favorite for any single PGA event is ~10-1 every week. Handicapping strokes is better than nothing but it still places way too much focus on a single event, IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I don't hate the new system, but would prefer they just award the season long POY that played consistently best over the season. There's a reason that the odds on favorite for any single PGA event is ~10-1 every week. Handicapping strokes is better than nothing but it still places way too much focus on a single event, IMO. 

There's a trophy for the strokes winner. 

57 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, just make East Lake the final FedEx Champ tournament with more points available like BMW.

Results:  Have an East Lake tournament winner, and a FedEx total points winner.

That was hard to follow.  There were also a few years when it was pretty much decided who was winning before they teed off, which is why they changed the format.  Nobody wanted to watch. There’s not a good answer to the question.  The PGA’s problem is that they don’t make any money on the golf tournaments casual fans actually care about, so they have to try to manufacture something.

• Like 1

If they wanted the common weekend duffer to identify with it then they should just give the #1 seed 10 mulligans, #2 gets 8 mulligans, etc.
Or call it the Patrick Reed Open and you get 2 foot wedges, a lost ball miraculously found, 3 grounded clubs in a bunker, and you can steal a wallet from the locker room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

^^^
Your place in the Tour Championship is determined by how many FedEx points you’ve accumulated over the year. So year long performance is heavily taken into account 

So in the end, 2-8 are still eligible to win fedex cup (assumes SS finishes worse than 16th and accrues no additional points) with a tournament victory, but all 30 would get a tournament win and the $3.6MM check.

16 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Call me a simpleton if you want, but finding a way for the winner of the tournament to win the tour championship and the broadcast not have to spend a stupid amount of time explaining who needs to finish where for a specific player to win is a big improvement. Well player X needs to finish at 3rd or better to win. Player Y needs to finish 4th or better and have player X finish outside of the top 5 but if he wins he only needs player X to finish outside the top 3. Player Z has a chance if he wins and player X finishes here and player Y finishes here. 

Then you end up having a guy win the tournament but not the championship so you have two guys up there “we’re both winners!”

4 hours ago, heso said:

Call me a simpleton if you want, but finding a way for the winner of the tournament to win the tour championship and the broadcast not have to spend a stupid amount of time explaining who needs to finish where for a specific player to win is a big improvement. Well player X needs to finish at 3rd or better to win. Player Y needs to finish 4th or better and have player X finish outside of the top 5 but if he wins he only needs player X to finish outside the top 3. Player Z has a chance if he wins and player X finishes here and player Y finishes here. 

Then you end up having a guy win the tournament but not the championship so you have two guys up there “we’re both winners!”

You must have hated listening to the announcers yesterday explaining who was and was not going to make the field of 30 playing in Atlanta.

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

You must have hated listening to the announcers yesterday explaining who was and was not going to make the field of 30 playing in Atlanta.

Yes, that was annoying. And it was 10x worse when we had to hear about every possibility for every guy to win the cup every time someone made a birdie. It’s just a better format. I get that some people don’t like it. But those people are wrong. 

Edited by heso
  • Haha 1

just a normal Thursday afternoon at the amusement park for the Spiethcoaster.  The Morikawa ride apparently only goes up.

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Oh great. Now we’re gonna hear about how he is playing like Tiger on a broken leg while crushing the field.

Spiethcoaster alert, the lap bar just dropped.

Keep your hands inside the ride at all times.

Jordan flu game on deck...

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/latest/2023/08/25/an-in-control-collin-morikawa-breaks-tiger-woods-record-at-east-lake-tour-championship-fedexcup-playoffs

Collin shot 125 through 2 days breaking tiger's record of 127 in 2007. Going back to start of FedEx cup only one other player has broken 130. Xander in 2022. 

Collin is on the heater of a lifetime. 

• Hook 'Em 2