Is this what player development looks like?

Catdaddyhorn

6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So far he has failed that test every time.

Damn he doesn’t even get credit for going 2-1 with Card starting when Ewers went down, losing in Lubbock in OT, and beating a UTSA team many people assumed we’d definitely lose to? 

We came out of the Ewers injury having faced adversity and really only failed in Lubbock when our offense sputtered in the 2nd half - which likely doesn’t happen with Ewers 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Damn he doesn’t even get credit for going 2-1 with Card starting when Ewers went down, losing in Lubbock in OT, and beating a UTSA team many people assumed we’d definitely lose to? 

We came out of the Ewers injury having faced adversity and really only failed in Lubbock when our offense sputtered in the 2nd half - which likely doesn’t happen with Ewers 

Against UTSA and WVU did Sark have to adjust to the other coaches adjustments? The answer is no he was able to beat those teams with what was on the sheet going into the game. Sark is very good to great at coming in with a plan. At TT he said the defense did not play tight enough coverage like in earlier games. He had to watch tape to make that conclusion and fix it for the next game while most on this board could see it during the game. As head coach he should have seen it in game walked over to his defensive coaches and told to fix it during the game. This is the type of test Sark has failed at which is in game adjustments.

6 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I saw it right in front of me. It was an overthrow. JWhitt would have needed crouching tiger hidden dragon flying ability to catch up to that pass. 

On the tele it sure looked like he ran his wheel route to thin and didn't anticipate the throw to the outside in time enough to get over for it. But if you were on the sideline...

I’m here to give Anthony Cook and Jerrin Thompson their flowers!!!! These dudes thus far have been balling!!! 

I’ll take my crow,  I was hard on Jerrin Thompson and often called for Crawford to take his spot  but he might be the best DB on the team no lie. 

Kudos!!! That’s what development looks like. 

• Hook 'Em 1

God fucking damn we are gonna miss Jordan Whittington next year and his ruthless blocking skills. Kid is a selfless player and will do anything to win. I'd add him to the list of improved just because this is the first year he's been healthy. 

On 10/8/2022 at 3:26 PM, crash_davis said:

Biggest differences are JT Sanders, Christian fucking Jones (probably just by changing position), Ford, and Overshown. 

I never, ever thought Christian Jones would ever amount to shit. I credit Flood and Jones's mental ability to WANT to get better. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

God fucking damn we are gonna miss Jordan Whittington next year and his ruthless blocking skills. Kid is a selfless player and will do anything to win. I'd add him to the list of improved just because this is the first year he's been healthy. 

I never, ever thought Christian Jones would ever amount to shit. I credit Flood and Jones's mental ability to WANT to get better. 

If the staff wanted to show one player for developmental purposes Christian Jones probably has to be first huh??? He’s came light years away from last season

Vernon Broughton would probably be next in line 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

If the staff wanted to show one player for developmental purposes Christian Jones probably has to be first huh??? He’s came light years away from last season

Vernon Broughton would probably be next in line 

Absofuckinglutely. Show them tape of Jones and say "this is what we can do for you". And I concur about Vernon, even though to a lesser degree since I haven't seen as much from him, but I do know he's gone from possible bust to actually making plays, and will get better. That's fun to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, crash_davis said:

Worthy was bracketed most of the day. Even then he should've had 2 more TDs. First when the DB PI'ed him to keep Worthy from 6. The 2nd is the deep ball where he was lazy with his footwork and didn't try to keep them inbounds. Ewers throw was well w/in bounds. Worthy just got lazy/cocky.

Well, this is fucking wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I opened this because I thought it was about “player development,” but see it was a thread started in-game, complete with some Sark Still Sucks takes and other shit, but regarding player development…

At the end of last year, Tope Imade made the rounds and was on a podcast/YouTube thing (maybe with Fat Ketch) in which he bemoaned it being his last year (even though he had what, 20?) because he had learned more under Flood/this staff in the last few months than in the previous five years. He had made a great leap, and it was one of the first times I’d heard of a concrete example of development.

In the IT Postgame show after the OU game, Rod Babers told Burton Texas was always considered the place NFL teams would come to do “discount shopping” for players in free agency (maybe it was “bargain basement,” I don’t remember the specific term) because the League knew we had some talent, the previous staffs just weren’t developing the players, and the pro teams would be able to get them on the cheap rather than drafting them. We now have several players with early round potential.

It’s good to have coaches who know how to scheme AND develop. 

• Hook 'Em 8

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I opened this because I thought it was about “player development,” but see it was a thread started in-game, complete with some Sark Still Sucks takes and other shit, but regarding player development…

At the end of last year, Tope Imade made the rounds and was on a podcast/YouTube thing (maybe with Fat Ketch) in which he bemoaned it being his last year (even though he had what, 20?) because he had learned more under Flood/this staff in the last few months than in the previous five years. He had made a great leap, and it was one of the first times I’d heard of a concrete example of development.

In the IT Postgame show after the OU game, Rod Babers told Burton Texas was always considered the place NFL teams would come to do “discount shopping” for players in free agency (maybe it was “bargain basement,” I don’t remember the specific term) because the League knew we had some talent, the previous staffs just weren’t developing the players, and the pro teams would be able to get them on the cheap rather than drafting them. We now have several players with early round potential.

It’s good to have coaches who know how to scheme AND develop. 

This is obviously true. Just count all the lower round draft picks and undrafted free agent rookies we've placed in the league over the last decade who went on to play way above their draft day grades. 

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Both Bijan and Mullet are no-brainer first rounders. I'm not sure Mullet wouldn't be a first rounder if he entered the draft this year.

I'd add Sanders and Banks as well. All 4 of those guys are at various stages of a "future 1st round NFL draft pick" trajectory. It's exciting.

Defense....we're still getting there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/8/2022 at 4:35 PM, crash_davis said:

Worthy was bracketed most of the day. Even then he should've had 2 more TDs. First when the DB PI'ed him to keep Worthy from 6. The 2nd is the deep ball where he was lazy with his footwork and didn't try to keep them inbounds. Ewers throw was well w/in bounds. Worthy just got lazy/cocky.

It was also a bad read by Quinn, Brennan Thompson was wide fucking open.

• 11 months later...

Bumping this thread.  This team looks like it's going to have a high number of future NFL picks.

The player development on this team is night and day difference between the multi clown shows we've witnessed from late Mack to Chuckles to Herman.

Do we even have a position group that we can honestly say is poorly coached?

• Hook 'Em 6