Is this what player development looks like?

Catdaddyhorn

And I forgot about Keilan Robinson. After last season I assumed he would forever be relegated to the DJ Monroe/Daja Johnson role of never getting the ball outside of anything but a motion speed sweep or running play, but this season he's suddenly catching down field passes 

• Hook 'Em 5

It's what happens when you take a creative offensive game and add a quarterback, speed and give the defensive players another year in the system.

Talent and schemes when games. Development is overrated. Most coaches can develop, if they they have the right talent and good schemes.

There's still a long ways to go. This team still needs more speed and depth, especially on defense, but this is a major step in the right direction.

*win

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

It's what happens when you take a creative offensive game and add a quarterback, speed and give the defensive players another year in the system.

Talent and schemes when games. Development is overrated. Most coaches can develop, if they they have the right talent and good schemes.

There's still a long ways to go. This team still needs more speed and depth, especially on defense, but this is a major step in the right direction.

*win

oh Steve, you are just sandbagging.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, Sandbagging Steve said:

Continuity in scheme. Glad Sark didn’t eject on PK considering who we had to play last year. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

*win

Tell that to PJ Locke, Holton Hill, and Adrian Phillips. All NFL talent but Charlie's staff couldn't develop for shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

*win

Continuity is big as well. Our defensive seniors have had multiple coordinators and position coaches over their 4 and 5 years. A big part of our issues over the last decade plus is how frequently we have new position coaches and coordinators teaching players new techniques and schemes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Players have definitely been developed better but Jesus half this board was fire Sark two weeks ago. Lol.  When if Ewers was health we beat Tech by two scores atleast. 

Maybe but the offensive wasn’t really the problem against Tech. The defense couldn’t get off the field

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Can I just be the first to say the defense has been stellar so far this season. First half of UTSA had me worried but on the whole, what a huge difference. 

The Tech performance was … not good though. The D still has some pretty big issues in the secondary imo, but a terrible OU offense without a QB made ‘em look great thankfully. It’s getting better for sure, which is A+. Need more players, which we should be getting. 

That said, Tech is up in the 3rd in pokey so maybe they’re just a lot better than I anticipated. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Maybe but the offensive wasn’t really the problem against Tech. The defense couldn’t get off the field

If you don’t think Ewers starting that game wins it idk what to say….  His starting effects the attitude of the whole team and we would have scored more.  The defense isn’t perfect but it’s ranked about 50 places nationally above last year. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The Tech performance was … not good though. The D still has some pretty big issues in the secondary imo, but a terrible OU offense without a QB made ‘em look great thankfully. It’s getting better for sure, which is A+. Need more players, which we should be getting. 

That said, Tech is up in the 3rd in pokey so maybe they’re just a lot better than I anticipated. 

Fair on both points. I’ll have 4th down PTSD for a while from that, Ala 3rd and Orlando, but tech is looking surprisingly competent on offense against OSU.

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

If you don’t think Ewers starting that game wins it idk what to say….  His starting effects the attitude of the whole team and we would have scored more.  The defense isn’t perfect but it’s ranked about 50 places nationally above last year. 

That’s fair but our offense was barely on the field. I hope this is a turning point day for the program. We need to be consistent and we still have the better teams in conference to come. But this is the most confident I’ve been in quite some time. 

14 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

We scored 10 points in the second half and OT. Ewers would have kept the drives going and scored more than 10.  Offense only on the field 10 min in the 2nd half/OT.  Ewers keeps the chains moving in the 4th Q

After Tech got within 7, we went punt, punt, punt, FG. Took 5 min off the clock on those 3 drives before the FG drive to end the 4th Q. 

If Tech pulls within 7, QE leads us down to another score. Without a doubt. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Tell that to PJ Locke, Holton Hill, and Adrian Phillips. All NFL talent but Charlie's staff couldn't develop for shit. 

It takes more than a few good players to make a defense. Holton Hill was a stud here, when he stayed out of trouble. PJ Locke was a solid player here. 

Charlie had limited offensive talent and even worse offensive schemes. This put too much pressure on his defense in a league of quarterbacks. He was a terrible recruiter and an even worse evaluator. The culture at Texas just added insult to injury. I'm sure Charlie was shocked there was no pay for play system in place when he got here.

His first defense, with some defensive talent leftover from Mack's tenure, was very good.

We won't even get into the fact Charlie is regarded. He had no organizational skills whatsoever. 

Charlie's players knew the offense wasn't going to be able to win games for them. Confidence and motivation matters a great deal. You saw Texas more motivated on defense today as the game wore on. Texas has an offensive coordinator and a quarterback to lead the team. There's speed around him.

The players have to believe in the upside of the team.

Brent Venables had no issues developing defensive players at Clemson. He had talent all over the field. He's having issues now. His team lacks talent. His defensive coordinator is a joke and his offense doesn't have the players to run the Baylor system.

Developing players is basic common sense. Recruiting talent and running good schemes is what separates coaches IMO. 

The biggest issues on the 40 have been terrible offensive schemes and lack of talent on both sides of the ball. Add in the fact that this leads to a bunch of new coaches and schemes and it's a recipe for disaster.

In my darkest moments, I was really starting to worry that we were going to waste JT Sanders's 5-star talent. So glad to have been wrong about that. He's a clear-cut NFL player if he stays on this trajectory, which has been way too rare for us the last few years.

As far as the original question, I think Worthy has regressed a little, or at least stagnated. *ducks*. We'll see if Quinn coming back unlocks Worthy some.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

In my darkest moments, I was really starting to worry that we were going to waste JT Sanders's 5-star talent. So glad to have been wrong about that. He's a clear-cut NFL player if he stays on this trajectory, which has been way too rare for us the last few years.

As far as the original question, I think Worthy has regressed a little, or at least stagnated. *ducks*. We'll see if Quinn coming back unlocks Worthy some.

Worthy was bracketed most of the day. Even then he should've had 2 more TDs. First when the DB PI'ed him to keep Worthy from 6. The 2nd is the deep ball where he was lazy with his footwork and didn't try to keep them inbounds. Ewers throw was well w/in bounds. Worthy just got lazy/cocky.

54 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The best help for a defense is a offense who can stay on the field and put up points that forces the opposing offense to have to catch up.  I would argue that one of the problems in the second half of the Tech game was all the offensive 3 and outs that kept sending the defense out there.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The tech performance was dictated by the number of times they went for it on 4th, compounded by the ridiculous efficiency when they did. 

how much of that was fluke/luck?

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s fair but our offense was barely on the field. I hope this is a turning point day for the program. We need to be consistent and we still have the better teams in conference to come. But this is the most confident I’ve been in quite some time. 

Part of the problem with defense being on the field non stop was the offense not just the defense…. Ewers at qb scores more then 31, so yes defense problems or not we win if he starts.  Team is probably undefeated now if he never gets hurt.  But those thoughts hurt too much to think about even.  Hopefully he stays health next year.  But yea hopefully Card never does anything but cleanup time again. 

Edited by Hook1997

Sanders is a godsend. He is the safety valve that we haven't had in a long time. Whittington is a monster now. Worthy had some many great catches. 

And the defense figured out what OU was doing and shut it down. 

I do not think we will ever have as easy a win against OU as we did today. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

The Tech performance was a coaching/game management loss. That's the feel for the game part of coaching that is Sark's biggest failing as a coach. Joey McGuire absolutely grinded a win out of thin air in that game. No way we should've been playing as soft in the 2ndary for as long as we did that game, especially when going against a trash ass QB. In terms of being a HC for high stakes games Sark is still relatively inexperienced. Im just hopeful we as a fanbase dont get too impatient and keep him around long enough to improve on those flaws. He's a good enough recruiter, play caller, and apparently developer of talent to keep us on the cusp until he improves in this area. And I believe he's introspective enough to improve in the areas where he lacks. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

57 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I agree somewhat, but I'd love to see Worthy with a Neyor playing on the opposite side of him (perhaps Hall). Worthy was a bit of an unknown to our opponents last year until the TX/OU game. This year he's the main concern for defenses, possibly even over Bijan so he's bracketed all game. Sanders and 
Whittington have eaten this year as a result. Sanders and Whittington (Billingsley) will be Sark's main solution to Iowa St's defense next week. Sark has had issues with that style of defense going all the way back to his time at Bama. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Worthy has issues adjusting to the ball in the air. He hides it by stopping on balls. Hopefully he's mentally strong enough to work on it---an interesting development (or not) to watch.

15 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I am disappointed Auburn missed that 4th quarter field goal.

Same.  I wanted to at least tie the worst Mack/GDGD squat-to-pee result in the series and really hoped we would erase it from the record book altogether.  Maybe next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Atticus said:

Fuck the haters, Sark is that dude.

Reminds me of ESPN Getup where the only two valid opinions are the world is ending or the world is an eden. We beat a poorly coached team with a very good QB and the coaches have shown they are not going back to last year. I will rejoice in this all year but there is no way Sark has shown us enough of a turn around from his incompetence at Teas Tech to being the answer after two games. We are all rooting for him to somehow become a coach that can make adjustments when challenged. So far he has failed that test every time.

• Hook 'Em 2