Jordan Whittington appreciation thread

TexArcher

• 5 months later...

Nice article about Whitt which makes one appreciate his journey,  the way he has matured,  and the hope for continued injury free success.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/football/2023/04/09/texas-wide-receiver-jordan-whittington-savoring-his-final-season/70092808007/

Excerpts:

“I think there's different ways of leading,” Whittington said. “You're going to have the vocal ones, and then you're going to have the guys that, you know, they're not necessarily vocal, but they do what they need to do, and you can watch them. That's a form of leading, too, and I think we're getting every single person on the team to move in that direction.”

Few experiences have matched graduation, when Whittington received his degree from Texas.

“It was amazing,” he said. “You never really think about how cool it is until you actually get up there. I'm going to be a Texas Ex, and I'm so glad I could just say that and put it in my bio. It felt just like winning the state championship in high school.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Take away the AD Mitchell transfer, Neyor on track for Fall camp and the addition of two highly rated Freshman, and Whittington announcing his return isn't a mere luxury, it's imperative. Happy he decided to give it one more go, our WR room is stacked for what seems like the first time in forever.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really impressed with that young man.  Putting your fears out there is brave.  Also, great PR for for UT and the growth he's experiencing off the field as well.  I'll certainly be rooting for him.  Always loved his fire.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Haven't had a chance to read his players tribune thing yet but came here to say he's probably the most underrated returning player on offense for this coming season. Now that we have a (presumably) healthy Neyor and X along with AD Mitchell stretching the defense...having a slot receiver who catches the ball no matter how off target then runs it forward like a tailback is going to be deadly for opposing defenses this coming season. That is all.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, ousux said:

Haven't had a chance to read his players tribune thing yet but came here to say he's probably the most underrated returning player on offense for this coming season. Now that we have a (presumably) healthy Neyor and X along with AD Mitchell stretching the defense...having a slot receiver who catches the ball no matter how off target then runs it forward like a tailback is going to be deadly for opposing defenses this coming season. That is all.

He's gon kill errbody this year.

JW was so approachable with us. My Dad mentioned watching him in HS and was excited about his future back then. We’re all so appreciative of his leadership for the Horns, in him coming back for one more season.

All the best for JW - we’re all rooting for him!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I caught a little bit of the Baylor re-run last night on LHN. I didn't remember seeing this before, but Whittington was absolutely rocked on a quick screen. Ewers led him upfield on the throw and there was absolutely no one in front to break the momentum of the BU corner. Had it been "live" I would have held my breath and begun praying. But, he hung on to the ball and bounced right up.

I am excited about J.Witt having one hell of a season and hopefully getting a chance to make a check in the NFL.  Mainly I am praying that the young man can remain healthy for an entire season.  I think the little bit of weight loss helps his speed a hair, and you can never fault the kid in his tenacity in getting those yards after catch.  Really, really hoping that he can actually have a fantastic time and simply enjoy his last season at UT.  Instead of worrying about rehab and recovery as has been a key part of his his focus most seasons.

Rooting for you!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Whitt has been looking like megabux for four years, only to suffer from idiot HC and/or position coaches, winding up injured or ignored. 

I hope this is his year to avoid the injury bugs, have his coaches use him correctly, and just generally shine. He's fast, strong, smart, he seems to run routes well, and he can catch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - but of course “gravity” has taken its toll on my Dad (now 81), but he was an OL/DL in the early ‘60s. He still wears his “T Ring” daily, which is on his left hand with J Whit. JW was more excited that my Dad had seen him play in HS and that’s what they talked about pre/post picture- Dad knew he’d be a Home Run for the Horns!!

We’re all rooting for a great last season with him and hope he can really break through and go get it the NFL!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

My Dad loves him some TX HS FB playoffs! He still goes all around greater-Houston during the first 2-3 rounds of the playoffs, as long as it doesn’t conflict with watching his Katy Tigers. He’ll go watch a half of one game, then drive to watch the 2nd of another. He works the press box for Katy ISD during the regular season, but he’s done when the playoffs start. He will even drive to Beaumont to watch a playoff game.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of biggest 4th qtr plays was JWitt's below   (Stealing video, Thx @Katfid54 )

Here’s the situation.  27-24, Texas is leading.  But Bama has Texas backed up at 2nd and 15 in the shadow of their own goalposts. 

li8tH5.gif

Bama rushes three and drops 8—a look that Quinn struggled mightily against last year.  But Quinn stays cool, and the call is (or at least appears to be) 4 verts—a perfect beater for this coverage that just asks folks to run down the field and get open.

Whittington “gets open,” Quinn finds him, and Whittington fights his ass off for extra yards.

5B47tZ.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, LTtxfan said:

One of biggest 4th qtr plays was JWitt's below   (Stealing video, Thx @Katfid54 )

Here’s the situation.  27-24, Texas is leading.  But Bama has Texas backed up at 2nd and 15 in the shadow of their own goalposts. 

li8tH5.gif

Bama rushes three and drops 8—a look that Quinn struggled mightily against last year.  But Quinn stays cool, and the call is (or at least appears to be) 4 verts—a perfect beater for this coverage that just asks folks to run down the field and get open.

Whittington “gets open,” Quinn finds him, and Whittington fights his ass off for extra yards.

5B47tZ.gif

Huge play...that extra yardage after the cut was crucial 

On 9/11/2023 at 5:11 PM, USNALonghorn said:

Dude looks fucking yoked, too

You should see his brother