2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

28 minutes ago, The Dog said:

"sub optimal" in a vacuum.

let's say we roll with that.

Who wins the AL?

I mean- if everything goes well and everyone stays healthy we are probably the 1 seed, maybe 2 at worst. If things go bad with a couple injuries, or Abreu is old all of a sudden or whatever then you have very little margin for error. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- if everything goes well and everyone stays healthy we are probably the 1 seed, maybe 2 at worst. If things go bad with a couple injuries, or Abreu is old all of a sudden or whatever then you have very little margin for error. 

Nobody has the "margin for error" to lose significant players and still expect to win it all (except we somehow almost did in 2021 without JV and LMJ). 

16 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Nobody has the "margin for error" to lose significant players and still expect to win it all (except we somehow almost did in 2021 without JV and LMJ). 

I mean, sure they do. If we had signed Contreras and Benitendi for example we could have Bregman and Tucker get hurt as a for example and still probably be a 95-100 win team. Maybe not WS favorites but still likely favored for a bye. If we go in there with 2 holes and then 2 more develop then you might be talking about 88-91 wins and scraping into the playoffs. Redundancies are a thing for a reason. 

38 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

What's the temperature in the room on bringing Mancini back?  Back-up to Abreu and can play LF/DH.  I think he will be better this year.  Does he do a 2/$18M deal (honestly have no clue on his market value).

I’d bring Mancini back at 1/10. Which is funny because I know both sides declined that offer, but it feels like it’s pretty close to good. 
I mean, if you want to get him and Brantley for 20M combined, or could get Gallo for that,and make that a platoon at DH/LF whatever Yordans not doing I guess I don’t hate that idea as much as Benitendi for 5/90 or whatever he’s going to get or rolling out a Y Diaz/JJM platoon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Gallo is intriguing. I'd ask the eggheads to crunch the numbers and determine if banning the shift helps him or if he's just bad. 

Banning the shift will help everyone or they wouldn’t be shifted in the first place. Obviously the less contact you make the less your benefit from the removal of the ban, but I wonder if the extreme shift doesn’t get in some dudes heads and we won’t see them do better without the world loaded up against them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Gallo is intriguing. I'd ask the eggheads to crunch the numbers and determine if banning the shift helps him or if he's just bad. 

I don’t think the positive effect of no-shift will be immediate for him. It totally got in his head and fucked up his approach. It might take a while to get rid of bad habits but if he can and his team shows some patience , he could be a force. 

Edit: Lulz at Wulaw’s simultaneous post.  Great minds think alike. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Banning the shift will help everyone all lefties or they wouldn’t be shifted in the first place. Obviously the less contact you make the less your benefit from the removal of the ban, but I wonder if the extreme shift doesn’t get in some dudes heads and we won’t see them do better without the world loaded up against them. 

FIFY.  The disparate impact against LHBs is the whole reason for the rule change.

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If the plan was to avoid the FA market and trade a SP for bats, wouldn't the smart move have been to pay JV (you aren't using the money anyway) and then trade from your SP depth for a guy like Varsho? Not spending money and trading away a SP after losing JV seems like the least optimal move. 

There are still SPs out there you could sign if you decide to trade Garcia for Varsho. Like a pitcher that grew up in Alvin, and has shown to be a fucking stud in the playoffs when not overused by his manager.

56 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It helps him tremendously. No more MIs playing the rover soft ball position against him. No more playing a MI as the 4th OF like Hinch did.

46 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

losing Vasquez is a massive damn loss.  Not getting Contreras, fine, keep CV and Maldo.  Left with nothing but an old catcher and with enlarged bases, his machete becomes useless.  We're dead at C.  Really really dead.  Wow, disaster offseason. 

start the 2024 off season thread !!!

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Scraps said:
48 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:
losing Vasquez is a massive damn loss.  Not getting Contreras, fine, keep CV and Maldo.  Left with nothing but an old catcher and with enlarged bases, his machete becomes useless.  We're dead at C.  Really really dead.  Wow, disaster offseason. 

Calm down helobious

i'm rarely wrong. 

• Fuck You 1