2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That’s exactly what I thought his deal would be. Now get a backup catcher and LFG

His deal also has up to $4M in additional incentive money. So depending on what those are, it’s actually higher than I anticipated. I think Wulaw thought it should be half of that.  

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

If Brantley is healthy there will be almost zero holes in our lineup. Maldonado is really the only real weakness, and I'll sacrifice his bat for his defense

His defense is not as good as everyone thinks it is, and it's going to get worse. Now his ability to call a game is top notch, but thinking he's the only one that can handle this pitching staff is retarded.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

His deal also has up to $4M in additional incentive money. So depending on what those are, it’s actually higher than I anticipated. I think Wulaw thought it should be half of that.  

Originally I had 6 or 8. After everyone went crazy this year I’d had it up to 10 mentally. 12 is either an absurd overpay if he’s as broken as I think he likely is (IE- worthless basically) or a little bit of a bargain as if he comes back and it’s normal aging curve shit he should be between 1.5 and 2 and worth 15 or 20 in this market. 

I strongly suspect that the 4thbPF is going to get a ton of time. Brantley isn’t likely to play much LF and Incant imagine they actually want Yordan to play 130 games or anything out there. 
I could see Brantley, if he’s not playing (much) in the field, being almost strictly a platoon player. He starts at DH and Yordan in Lf against RHP and Yordan goes to DH and Jake or whoever plays LF against LHP. That means Yordan probably only plays 100 or so games in the field, Brantley plays 110 or so games total (100 for Yordan in Lf and 50 or so at DH- Brantley getting all the DH stuff when Yordan isn’t playing), and Jake or whoever plays 80 or 100 games- 60 at LF and 30 in CF and 10 or so in RF. 
Brantley had slightly better numbers last year against LHP than he previously had but it was small sample size. His numbers against LHP have been in decline for some time, he’s old and coming off an injury. Platooning makes too much sense. 

Love bringing Uncle Mike back.  

I mean, shit, we landed a .300 hitter to bat 7th, helping Abreu see better pitches and upgrading our defensive outfield.  And he's a great clubhouse guy.  Even if Houston did overpay by a few million compared to what Brantley would've gotten from the market, I think it could be argued that he's worth more to Houston than to most other teams.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I hope they give Chas the starting spot and don't screw around with the committee thing. But who am I kidding we all know what Dusty is going to do LOL. 

Yordan, Tucker, Chas, Brantley, Meyers, Dubon, and Hensley.. Throw in Pedro Leon and I think we are set on OF. 

Another name to keep on eye on for the OF mix is lefty hitter Justin Dirden. Dirden slashed .324/.411/.616 with 32 doubles and 20 home runs in 92 games with CC last year before getting promoted to AAA in August. Not surpisingly he struggled a bit with AAA pitching and slashed .242/.305/.398 with a higher K rate with 4 homers and 8 doubles in 32 games, but at 25 he is one of those players who could make an impression in spring training the way Hensley did last year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Career .252 hitter, 6 years / $110mil !!!!

you laugh, but he's 30, plays multiple positions, and is coming off a 28 homer season - the first full season he's played in a while.

wulaw can weigh in here, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see him get 4-6 years at $12-$14mm per.  4-52 or something.

he racked up stats in cincy's cracker jack box so who knows.   

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Brandon Drury.

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm actually surprised someone hasn't overpaid drury yet.

Yeah. The Astros are now about $20M under the CBT level. I damn sure don’t want to spend half of that (or more) on a utility guy. 

Edited by TonyTexas

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Flexibility at the trade deadline will be a very a huge asset 

maybe a rook steps up and we don’t need to make a move ?  

you think a rookie can just step into a team like this and play an important role on offense and defense during the season and potentially in the postseason, ultimately contributing to the team's success?

you dreamin.

• Haha 5