2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

16 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Pretty good package for Arizona. Moreno is a young stud  

I literally cannot believe the BJ’s made that trade, and that they were the ones adding the sweetener. 
Moreno is a top 5 prospect who actually already made it to the majors even if briefly. I would have though he could get an all star or near all star on a good contract plus a couple prospects. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I literally cannot believe the BJ’s made that trade, and that they were the ones adding the sweetener. 
Moreno is a top 5 prospect who actually already made it to the majors even if briefly. I would have though he could get an all star or near all star on a good contract plus a couple prospects. 

Agreed. Varsho has a career .302 OBP and last season he outperformed his expected wOBA by a bit. I know he’s valuable defensively - I’m not suggesting he’s worthless or anything - but the Jays gave up a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agreed. Varsho has a career .302 OBP and last season he outperformed his expected wOBA by a bit. I know he’s valuable defensively - I’m not suggesting he’s worthless or anything - but the Jays gave up a lot. 

That’s the kind of package coming back in Moreno and Gurriel that, if they called me asking for Tucker I’d hold an all hands on deck meeting to figure out: 1) just how good is this catcher going to be, bc he’s on minimum wage for 3 years and then cheap for another 3 years and fills our hardest to fill hole in the lineup at Catxher with a potential all star type,

2) how far away the OFers are that we just drafted and how high are their upsides

3) is there any way we can sign Tucker to an extension- someone call his agent and see what the number would have to be to make him do it 

4) is there anything else we find to be a hole that we could ask for from Toronto. 

that’s a pretty monster package they sent out for a guy that’s sort of interesting as a curiosity more than as a guy that’s going to dominate for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And it was lil’ Guriel as the sweetener to Arizona. If all Toronto got back was Varsho, would they have accepted either Meyers or Chas plus some junk for Moreno? Another instance where we would benefit from a GM?

Are you asking if we could have gotten the best catching prospect in baseball for Jake Meyers and some junk?

48 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gurriel is a 2024 FA, and a salary dump even at only $5.4M. Let's be real about Lourdes, he had one good season and his power vanished, and is a below average OF with a strong arm, just like Alvarez. I get Montero is supposed to be good, but you always trade for MLB talent.

He has 2.2 WAR last year and 8 for his career of 5 years- that’s really more like 4 with COVID. 
5.8M ain’t a salary dump for a guy that’s a regular. 

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

If I’m trading a catching prospect that highly thought of, I’m getting a very good young pitcher 

current

But I guess the qualifiers of "very good" and "young" may no longer apply.

Damnit.  This guy went from being the next sure thing badass to major disappointment.  But hey, he's still first ballot Arizona Fall League Hall of Famer material.

If the Mets really back out, Correa will likely not make what the Astros offered him in his career. I am a little sad for Correa, because he was a great Astro that went all in on being the villain. Going to be interesting to see if these former Astros ever have the same level of team success. Springer, Correa, and now Verlander.

The Astros march on.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought Maton was tendered a contract. The other two are still on the market. I'd be ok with brining Mancini back on a team friendly deal since he can give Abreu and Brantley/Alvarez days off.  Hopefully winning the World Series and his defensive wizard plays at First Base plus a full season of Spring Training will get his mind right.

19 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

What a very very odd situation. Something or some dr is throwing up a red flag. I’ve never seen anything like this 

hope it works out for him 

It’s the reason that I thought the Astros offer to him last year was about right. I have no idea what is showing up in his physicals, but the dude had a variety of health issues - including back problems - in his early/mid-20s. That has to be a red flag.

I too hope it works out for him. And yes, I’d absolutely love it if we could somehow get him back on a short-term/high AAV deal. I doubt it, but would be great.