2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

25 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There's a twitter rumor that Yuli signed with Boston, but not seeing it anywhere else yet.

I got caught in that trap a few days ago. It came from a guy with just a few hundred followers. I think the Yuli to the Marlins rumor is more legitimate. 

There's a twitter rumor that Yuli signed with Boston, but not seeing it anywhere else yet.
Baerga put on his insta that it is rumored Yuli was going to sign 1 yr deal w Boston a couple days ago. Baerga knows shit so wouldn't be shocked if it happens. Also miami or AZ wouldn't shock me.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

If true, that’s an excellent person to fill a last roster spot. Instant clubhouse upgrade + leadership 

Red Sox need both of those 

Yeah they could surely do a lot worse. I'll always be a huge fan of La Pina.

• Hook 'Em 2

MLB Film completely glosses over: 

- McCullers pitch tipping. Gives all the credit to the Philly crowd. Skipped Harper giving instructions from the dugout. 
- No Mattress Mack confrontation. 
- Philly sports talk is of course degenerate Jersey Shore wannabes. 

Fuck those people. I’m glad we won and it beating the Yankees South makes it that much sweeter. 

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d go 6 man rotation again. Garcia really, really needs it.

Not to mention McCullers is coming off of TJ and has to figure some shit out. 

A 6man rotation makes so much sense to help alleviate injuries, but also to have some leeway if one of the starters does get injured. It provides a lot of flexibility at the cost of some utility fielder that bats .200 and rarely sees the field. Leave that 25th guy down in triple A, and get another arm in the rotation/pen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mstrat said:

Is this someone Crane was interested in as GM? Did he know he’d get reinstated?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35412262/ex-braves-gm-john-coppolella-life-ban-lifted-mlb

Did any of these guys amount to anything yet?

Because of that, MLB voided the contracts of nine players the Braves would have been ineligible to sign: Venezuelan infielder Kevin Maitan ($4.25 million signing bonus), Venezuelan catcher Abrahan Gutierrez ($3.53 million), Dominican shortstop Yunior Severino ($1.9 million), Dominican right-hander Juan Contreras ($1.2 million), Dominican shortstop Yenci Pena ($1.05 million), Dominican right-hander Yefri del Rosario ($1 million), Cuban outfielder Juan Carlos Negret ($1 million), Venezuelan shortstop Livan Soto ($1 million) and Colombian right-hander Guillermo Zuniga ($350,000).

Interesting how few people have had a permanent ban by the MLB: 

Coppolella, 39, did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press. He joined former Cincinnati manager Pete Rose (1989 agreement following investigation of his gambling), New York Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia (2016, third positive drug test) and former St. Louis employee Chris Correa (2017, hacking into Houston computer systems) on the permanently ineligible list.

He was forced to resign after his 11th season with the Braves and second full year as general manager. He began his time with the Braves in 2006 when he oversaw quantitative analysis and baseball information initiatives.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/21/braves-lose-9-international-players-in-mlb-sanctions/107917746/

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

What he did was much worse than anything Luhnow even thought about doing.  Par for the course for Manfred.

Hence the reason he was banned for over half a decade while Luhnow only had a 1-yr suspension.  Luhnow could have a job in an MLB FO tomorrow if he wanted it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Hence the reason he was banned for over half a decade while Luhnow only had a 1-yr suspension.  Luhnow could have a job in an MLB FO tomorrow if he wanted it.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  There are official suspensions and bans and there are unofficial understandings (a Gentleman's Agreement) as it were. I think Luhnow is on the unofficial shit list and I don't think teams could hire him without bringing down MLB against them.  Unless it's one of MLB's pets. 

This is all obviously conjecture and I could be completely wrong.  But I believe it to be true. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.  There are official suspensions and bans and there are unofficial understandings (a Gentleman's Agreement) as it were. I think Luhnow is on the unofficial shit list and I don't think teams could hire him without bringing down MLB against them.  Unless it's one of MLB's pets. 

This is all obviously conjecture and I could be completely wrong.  But I believe it to be true. 

I’m not sure if that’s from the top down or if it’s just the consensus of the owners, though. Luhnow was unconventional and arrogant, and-worst of all-he backed it up. There’s a lot of lingering resentment and just plain jealousy at work there, I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I’m not sure if that’s from the top down or if it’s just the consensus of the owners, though. Luhnow was unconventional and arrogant, and-worst of all-he backed it up. There’s a lot of lingering resentment and just plain jealousy at work there, I think.

Oh there’s a ton of that no doubt. But you’d have to think there are at least a couple of owners that would suck it up and give him the chance to build again if it wasn’t strongly discouraged. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had two interactions with him- 1 on radio and 1 in a meet and greet Q and A and he was really cool in both of them taking time to totally and at length answer my questions clearly as best as he could with in depth answers as to how they valued players, how they did multi year budgets and how they judged timing on when to get aggressive in pursuing players and improvements with increased spending. It was the opposite of arrogant or condescending. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I had two interactions with him- 1 on radio and 1 in a meet and greet Q and A and he was really cool in both of them taking time to totally and at length answer my questions clearly as best as he could with in depth answers as to how they valued players, how they did multi year budgets and how they judged timing on when to get aggressive in pursuing players and improvements with increased spending. It was the opposite of arrogant or condescending. 

I've talked to him a lot over the years through different events and channels.  He was never once even approaching arrogant or condescending. He didn't apologize for wanting to win, and I think he would overlook qualities in guys that were not the best of people, but he wasn't among them.  Guy was as honest, forthcoming and genuine as could be.  

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

i asked him for a pic at pluckers and he was cool as hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

I've talked to him a lot over the years through different events and channels.  He was never once even approaching arrogant or condescending. He didn't apologize for wanting to win, and I think he would overlook qualities in guys that were not the best of people, but he wasn't among them.  Guy was as honest, forthcoming and genuine as could be.  

Yeah- I had a buddy who isn’t even really a baseball fan that knew him through MIT connections and he really liked him too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, to be clear I don’t mean that I think he was personally arrogant, but that perception exists among other organizations because he had the audacity to not do things the “right” way. (So, ironically, it’s really more about the arrogance of owners.)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Yeah, to be clear I don’t mean that I think he was personally arrogant, but that perception exists among other organizations because he had the audacity to not do things the “right” way. (So, ironically, it’s really more about the arrogance of owners.)

Yeah I didn’t take it that you were saying that. It’s a common thing said about him.