2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

This is where I see the MLB divisions trending from this offseason.

Most Improved
1. NL East - Mets have spent enough, Phillies are spending again,
Braves have traded up, Marlins and Nats are in the celler

2. AL West - Rangers have some decent arms, Mariners added a little more firepower to their lineup, Astros held about the same overall, As are still weak, and Angels I suspect will actually hold together a bit better this year.

3. AL East - Yankees will have a good year with Bader and their new pitchers helping them win some games when Judge’s bad isn’t going, O’s will be steadily improving, Jays slightly improved, Red Sox are tanking, Rays are meh

Most regression
1. NL West - Shocker is how fast the Dodgers have been gutted, Padres are slightly better, the rest is meh.

2. AL Central - Guardians and Twins are about the same, Sox are going down to visit the Royals and Tigers

3. NL Central - Cubs are somewhat better and everyone else is about who they were this past season.

23 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You need to start drinking early if you didn’t know my post was tongue-in-cheek. 

Well Brown would make sense after his call up last season. Also I think Tucker is our best chance at MVP. The Dusty one was the only sketchy one.

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s a good group. The radio crew is damn outstanding 

Absolutely they are. Ford is really really good at describing the action without making it about him, and they have a great chemistry and are both informative and fun. 
I’ve never been more shocked in my life to find out someone was black than Robert Ford based upon what their voices sound like. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Absolutely they are. Ford is really really good at describing the action without making it about him, and they have a great chemistry and are both informative and fun. 
I’ve never been more shocked in my life to find out someone was black than Robert Ford based upon what their voices sound like. 

Fun fact:  Ford's dad was a producer for Kurtis Blow and co-produced the first rap song ever certified as a gold record - "Christmas Rappin'"

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/robert-ford-jr-hip-hop-pioneer-journalist-dies-9398545/

• Hook 'Em 2

I love Ford and Sparks like no other broadcast team in Astros history. Yes, it's likely a function of those two being in the booth for the greatest era of the franchise, but they really are a fantastic duo with great chemistry and each does his respective role exceptionally well. Ford really grew into his seat and into my regular listening routine. They run laps around the bland boreshow duo that preceded them. Dolan and that other dude sucked ass and you literally couldn't tell one from the other. 

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, texashorne said:

In this day and age, I always wonder how many people actually took that via radio, live. 

I did for the Chas catch and the Mancini snag. 

Listened in the parked car in the garage with the seat fully reclined taking deep breaths. It might have saved my life because I don't think I could have watched the tv and not had a heart attack. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I did for the Chas catch and the Mancini snag. 

Listened in the parked car in the garage with the seat fully reclined taking deep breaths. It might have saved my life because I don't think I could have watched the tv and not had a heart attack. 

Game 5 was the most stressful gut wrenching game of all of them, just like Game 5 in ‘17. 

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I love Ford and Sparks like no other broadcast team in Astros history. Yes, it's likely a function of those two being in the booth for the greatest era of the franchise, but they really are a fantastic duo with great chemistry and each does his respective role exceptionally well. Ford really grew into his seat and into my regular listening routine. They run laps around the bland boreshow duo that preceded them. Dolan and that other dude sucked ass and you literally couldn't tell one from the other. 

Well, I’ve always been partial to the duo of Gene Elston and Lowel Passe from my childhood memories, listening on a summer night back before every (any) games were on TV.

Of course, there were no championships back then. But, yeah, I agree with you, Ford and Sparks are pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1