2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Mez2 said:

I got the wooden bat mug you can frink mieeelr Lites out of eith with Ws logos saying our ducks are much longer than the rest

Go us, we are better than yal bitchhes+

My buddy handed me a beer in a brand new one of these that just got delivered. Tasted like turpentine.  

Apparently

• Teams will also be incentivized to promote top prospects to the majors. If a prospect who was on the Opening Day roster finishes in the top three of Rookie of the Year voting or top five of MVP/Cy Young voting, their team will receive an additional draft pick.

Hunter Brown, no pressure

8 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Hold up so if Pena would have won ROY the Astros would have gotten another first round pick?? 

https://www.mlb.com/news/ways-mariners-can-improve-in-2023

I don’t think so.  In order to be eligible for the prospect promotion incentive the player had to be on multiple preseason Top 100 lists, and Pena was not.  I am also not sure every team would get a 1st rd pick; it may be similar to qualifying offer compensation, where the pick is determined by the teams revenue, in which case Houston would only get a 4th round pick.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I don’t think so.  In order to be eligible for the prospect promotion incentive the player had to be on multiple preseason Top 100 lists, and Pena was not.  I am also not sure every team would get a 1st rd pick; it may be similar to qualifying offer compensation, where the pick is determined by the teams revenue, in which case Houston would only get a 4th round pick.

The clause is probably written expressly to bar the Astros. 

• Haha 1

there have been several rule changes put in place over the past decade in response to the way the luhnow dynasty was built. 

I don’t remember where I read it, but there was an article 7-8 years ago that talked about how MLB saw the way the Astros were rebuilding and set about changing several rules in order to basically stop them from developing a dynasty. Makes me endlessly happy that they managed to build one anyway, despite MLB’s efforts.

If anyone has examples of what rule changes occurred, that’d be interesting to see how the Astros worked around them.

7 hours ago, Issiecol said:

I don’t remember where I read it, but there was an article 7-8 years ago that talked about how MLB saw the way the Astros were rebuilding and set about changing several rules in order to basically stop them from developing a dynasty. Makes me endlessly happy that they managed to build one anyway, despite MLB’s efforts.

If anyone has examples of what rule changes occurred, that’d be interesting to see how the Astros worked around them.

Not only that, but the Astros have weathered Hurricane Manfred with regard to disastrous attacks and impact on public perception, while becoming poised to continue this run even longer.

Fuck the haters, the manipulators, and the crybabies.

Edited by slorch

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35292245/ranking-all-30-mlb-teams-biggest-free-agents-signed

Doolittle wants a turn in the barrel looking like a dickhead projecting the Astros to only win 93 games and finish 6th in MLB and 7 games behind tampa. Sure thing fuckface. 
probably one of the 70% of “experts” who had someone other than the Astros winning the AL West last year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35292245/ranking-all-30-mlb-teams-biggest-free-agents-signed

Doolittle wants a turn in the barrel looking like a dickhead projecting the Astros to only win 93 games and finish 6th in MLB and 7 games behind tampa. Sure thing fuckface. 
probably one of the 70% of “experts” who had someone other than the Astros winning the AL West last year. 

Such garbage. They are projecting us to lose 13 more games. The only team they project for more are the Dodgers and that actually tracks. They lost 1/3 of their lineup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Can we take a moment and appreciate how fortunate we are that a prediction of 93 wins can (correctly) be viewed as a slap in the face?  I love this team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ah, I don’t have too much of a problem with this, as it’s based on simulations (not his “predictions” per se). His methodology may be flawed, but at least he explains the methodology. 

21 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

No way. Almost every sports book has the Astros as the favorite to the  2023 World Series. Their win total will open over 100. 

Maybe. That’s really aggressive though, and this is about the 4th or 5th dickhead I’ve seen projecting the Astros 5th-7th in total wins. That’s also about where we were projected last year I believe. 

10 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we fuck around during the regular season, win 95, then win 11 more when it matters.

There would have to be a lot go wrong for us to only win 95 IMO. It’s not an unreasonable proposition but I think it’s like a 30th or 40th percentile outcome. Which happens all the time, obviously. 

42 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Their win total will open over 100. 

Do you know how often this happens?  Not saying it can't happen, but it is very rare.  I think the only team opening over 100 in the past 6 years has been the Dodgers in 2021.  

I think 97 is probably closer to what they will open at, but who knows.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Scraps said:

Do you know how often this happens?  Not saying it can't happen, but it is very rare.  I think the only team opening over 100 in the past 6 years has been the Dodgers in 2021.  

I could see the Mets opening over 100. I think that’s it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Fair enough. But I think their preseason win total will be closer to 100 than 93

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I could see the Mets opening over 100. I think that’s it. 

7 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I agree they may be at or over 100 

That seems high given how tough the NL East looks even with the new, more balanced schedule. And perhaps without Correa on the roster.