2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I know that Brantley won’t benefit from the no-shift  as much as many other lefties but has anyone seen expected stats for him under the new rules vs the old?

I didn’t find the stats, sorry. But, I know for w fact I heard someone say Brantley was going to benefit way more than most. And it makes sense. He doesn’t hit the ball over peoples heads anymore and he doesn’t hit the ball oppo on the ground. Tucker is like #2 in all of baseball- Yordan is way up there and too 10, but Brantley is top 20 or thereabouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

you laugh, but he's 30, plays multiple positions, and is coming off a 28 homer season - the first full season he's played in a while.

wulaw can weigh in here, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see him get 4-6 years at $12-$14mm per.  4-52 or something.

he racked up stats in cincy's cracker jack box so who knows.   

3/40 if I’m guessing. I’d have told you 2/24 or something like that but everyone is getting an extra year and an extra 3-5M seemingly so final answer 3/40. 

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Is the MLB expecting the Rangers to be good this season?  2 Sunday night games sounds like a vote of confidence.  I don't see them passing the Mariners in this division at least, and I think they will be in a fight for the last Wild Card spot at best.

I think deGrom is gonna get hurt, Perez is gonna regress to being the guy he's always been, and they're gonna lose 90+ again.  Even if I'm wrong about those two things, I still think their ceiling is about 85 wins.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Is the MLB expecting the Rangers to be good this season?  2 Sunday night games sounds like a vote of confidence.  I don't see them passing the Mariners in this division at least, and I think they will be in a fight for the last Wild Card spot at best.

I think it's more that they're playing last year's pennant winners than anything about the Rangers.  And it's espn's call, not mlb's.

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hope he doesn’t have the HIV like Magic. 
can’t believe that dude is still alive 31 years later for a Gen X guy. Nobody would have believed that on that day. 

Amazingly, because of medical progress, they would probably be way less concerned about HIV than his back.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I don't see the Braves leading the league, that division is gonna be tough with the Mets gearing up like they are Germany in 1937.  Plus Philly is in that division and they should still be a solid 85 win team even with Harper out for a while. 

Rays and Yankees are in the same division, it's pretty rare for two top 5 win teams to be in the same division. Plus what did the Rays do to get 15+ wins better? Boston will be better with some of their new guys, and the AL East will be a dogfight all year. Definitely the toughest division in MLB.

The Dodgers obviously lost some capability, so I can see them dropping into NL Wild Card area if the Padres improve as expected, but still LAD is probably at least an 90 win team in what will likely be an average division. 

Cleveland can coast to 90 wins and comfortably win the division in what is the easiest in the league. It's good for business in a small market, so I can't blame them. 

Houston should have an easy division again. Seattle is the only competitor I see, as I don't think the Angels will ever figure it out. Maybe if Ohtani can learn to play a position of value, they can get some more wins, but a DH/Pitcher just isn't a huge difference maker in win totals IMO. Especially when you consider he's going to get 55m a year next year. I think they might trade him midseason for the biggest bounty in MLB history if they can't get him to sign longtime. 

Astros should be a 100 win team again, and with a little luck and good health, could be in the 107-112 win area. Maybe if they make 112 wins they can petition the MLB to scrap the playoffs and just award them the Pennant.

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 2