2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

It's December 2022 and I'm still coming down from the WS high with all y'all fuckstick chicken littles still bitching about not having a Realmuto behind the plate and a Springer in CF.

His name is Martin Maldonado and you best put some respect behind it. Goddamn.

We got Abreu already, we don't need to do shit and certainly don't need to make any trades unless they are obvious wins for us. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

This offseason has certainly taught me to wave goodbye to any chance of contract extension talks with Tucker to buy out a few years of free agency 

In hindsight, Yordan's extension seems almost as great a deal as swapping Fields for Alvarez to start with. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Wulaw horn you are an idiot. No way correa makes 400M in his career. 
As of today Correa will have guaranteed himself something like 412M. 
really happy for the guy. He got what he wanted and the Giants were my favorite team as a kid (lived in the Bay Area until I was 12) and my favorite cousins team, so feels like he’s still sort of in the family. 
I’m glad none of our best players went to division rivals. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'm happy for Correa.  I hope he leads the charge to knock the Dodgers off their perch in that division.

It’s still the NL, so 100+ win Mets and Dodgers will get knocked out by some 80-something win team regardless. Just hope CC makes it painful for LAD

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

It's amazing how the NL teams are spending right now. It feels like when Lebron was on the Heat and the East was super weak besides 1-2 other teams, while the West was super competitive and spending money like crazy. Maybe the Astros are just so good the rest of the East is giving up, save for a few teams. Plus that luxury tax fund share is gonna be huge next year, you know Oakland, Pittsburgh and KC are counting those dollars now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

This offseason has certainly taught me to wave goodbye to any chance of contract extension talks with Tucker to buy out a few years of free agency 

Tucker needs to be traded before his final season as an Astro. By then, Gilbert and Melton should both be ready and Clifford should be close.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Tucker needs to be traded before his final season as an Astro. By then, Gilbert and Melton should both be ready and Clifford should be close.

Depends on what you are doing with Bregman and Altuve in 2 years.  If they aren't coming back then yeah- trade Tucker in that final season.  Keep in mind- guys in their walk year don't usually fetch a kings ransom.  2 years from now Altuve and Bregman are up.  3 years from now it's Tucker, Javier, Urquidy, Framber.  4 years from now LMJ and Garcia.  Ideally you at least get 1 more year out of Bregman and Alutve but if not you could see a soft rebuild done with moving Tucker, Javier, Urquidy, Framber and Garcia.  I wouldn't imagine LMJ would have a ton of value then but who knows, maybe?  If you have faith in the kids then maybe you don't have to do a soft reset- but Brown, Pena and Yordan are all signed through 27/28 so a step back after 24 if we can't sign those guys and a look at trading some guys in their walk year makes sense.  
The key, imo, for the Astros to maintain their ability to compete without any kind of soft re-set (and my goodness- if they get to 28 without having to do that only the Braves of the 90's and the Dodgers of 2013 or 2014 until now can boast that-13 or 14 years in contention- and I would argue the Dodgers are doing a soft reset this offseason) would be to develop 3 more 4 WAR type players (at least one of whom probably needs to be a pitcher) between here and the end of 24.  So- really need to hit on Whitley and Diaz or Lee and hope Gilbert or Jake are good.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I am assuming that Bregman and Altuve both sign extensions to ensure they retire Astros. I think both will give the Astros discounts, because I don't think money and AAV is important to them as legacy winning. I could of course be wrong, but I see Altuve and Bregman retiring as Astros.

I have more faith in Altuve than Bregman retiring Astros lifers.  Bregman was smart.  He locked up a massive bag for himself so he couldn't have any downside of "how am I not generationally rich" and left himself a bit at FA at 30. IF he's really good the next 2 years I think he takes the biggest bite possible.  If you went to Altuve today and gave him a reasonable offer I'd bet he'd sign another 2 years.  If you wait until next offseason he might feel slighted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have more faith in Altuve than Bregman retiring Astros lifers.  Bregman was smart.  He locked up a massive bag for himself so he couldn't have any downside of "how am I not generationally rich" and left himself a bit at FA at 30. IF he's really good the next 2 years I think he takes the biggest bite possible.  If you went to Altuve today and gave him a reasonable offer I'd bet he'd sign another 2 years.  If you wait until next offseason he might feel slighted. 

Yeah Breggy is going to get some idiot team to pay him for 10 years. That isn't the Astros. Tuve will retire an Astro IMHO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So, Correa basically got the same contract as Judge.  I know the years are different but both of them have undoubtedly been signed to play out their entire useful economic life on this contract.  So, pretty simple and easy to compare the deals- total WAR between now and the end of the deal.

Who you got?  Do either make it to breakeven on the contract (WAR going for 10M per this offseason so 35 for Carlos and 36 for Judge) terms?  

The bet on Carlos is he is a HOF guy.  He got 40 WAR through 27 season, another 35 for the rest of his career gets him there.  That's what HOF guys do.  I bet Carlos gets there.  I think he likely has a monster quasi MVP level season in him somewhere between here and the end of his prime- 7 WAR (he's done that twice- finishing 5th in the MVP voting in 21), plus 4 seasons more or less as good as this past one (which wasn't awesome and amazing just solidly really really good) which came in at 5.4 WAR.  SO- 7 + 5x4 ='s 27 WAR in the next 5 years. That is his absolute Apex prime for 2 more years probably and 3 years of extended/late prime.  That would put him at 27 War, needing 8 more  WAR from age 33 on.  As a frame of reference Biggio had 14 WAR from age 33 on (would have been 16 if not for the negative 2.1 greaser he put up at age 41) Bagwell had 18 WAR from Age 33 on, Lance Berkman had 9 WAR from age 33 on and none of those guys were known as aging super gracefully or having an awesome tail end of their career.  

So- for Correa to make good he needs 1 quasi MVP type season (think 21), 4 all star/quasi all star type seasons (think 2022) and then be playable for 3 or 4 years after all that's done.  The last 4 years he could be completely out of the league or a utility guy/veteran presence and still have made good on his contract.  This contract makes sense and he will get there if he stays healthy- which with him is a monumentally huge risk. 

Judge man- that one I can't imagine working out.  The number of guys as big as he is that didn't fall off a cliff in baseball history is essentially zero.  I get why the Yanks felt like they had to make that deal but it is a baaaaaad deal for them I'd be almost positive.   

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Judge man- that one I can't imagine working out.  The number of guys as big as he is that didn't fall off a cliff in baseball history is essentially zero.  I get why the Yanks felt like they had to make that deal but it is a baaaaaad deal for them I'd be almost positive.   

Dave Winfield. That’s basically the list. And he was obviously a much better athlete than Judge.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Probably will have to address catcher at the deadline. And that’s okay.  

or could have simply retained Vasquez.  Hard to find a C that hits .270 and calls a no hitter.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Nope, he's going to be Game 3 of the WS Lance from here on out.

sadly, this is a real possibility. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

or could have simply retained Vasquez.  Hard to find a C that hits .270 and calls a no hitter.

sadly, this is a real possibility. 

I wonder why some of you even watch sports.    Can’t even enjoy a championship for six weeks before turning negative Nelly.  Miserable.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

I wonder why some of you even watch sports.    Can’t even enjoy a championship for six weeks before turning negative Nelly.  Miserable.  

that tile was last year, new season in front of us and everyone is chasing one team 

but raising the new flag on opening day will be wonderful 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, Correa basically got the same contract as Judge.  I know the years are different but both of them have undoubtedly been signed to play out their entire useful economic life on this contract.  So, pretty simple and easy to compare the deals- total WAR between now and the end of the deal.

Who you got?  Do either make it to breakeven on the contract (WAR going for 10M per this offseason so 35 for Carlos and 36 for Judge) terms?  

The bet on Carlos is he is a HOF guy.  He got 40 WAR through 27 season, another 35 for the rest of his career gets him there.  That's what HOF guys do.  I bet Carlos gets there.  I think he likely has a monster quasi MVP level season in him somewhere between here and the end of his prime- 7 WAR (he's done that twice- finishing 5th in the MVP voting in 21), plus 4 seasons more or less as good as this past one (which wasn't awesome and amazing just solidly really really good) which came in at 5.4 WAR.  SO- 7 + 5x4 ='s 27 WAR in the next 5 years. That is his absolute Apex prime for 2 more years probably and 3 years of extended/late prime.  That would put him at 27 War, needing 8 more  WAR from age 33 on.  As a frame of reference Biggio had 14 WAR from age 33 on (would have been 16 if not for the negative 2.1 greaser he put up at age 41) Bagwell had 18 WAR from Age 33 on, Lance Berkman had 9 WAR from age 33 on and none of those guys were known as aging super gracefully or having an awesome tail end of their career.  

So- for Correa to make good he needs 1 quasi MVP type season (think 21), 4 all star/quasi all star type seasons (think 2022) and then be playable for 3 or 4 years after all that's done.  The last 4 years he could be completely out of the league or a utility guy/veteran presence and still have made good on his contract.  This contract makes sense and he will get there if he stays healthy- which with him is a monumentally huge risk. 

Now that Carlos has his guaranteed contract, I wonder how many seasons he will get to 500 at-bats. In his 2 back-to-back contract years, he hit that mark and had the stats to match. When he’s in the line-up, he will put up HOF numbers.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I am pretty sure the Giants will not be happy with the back half of that contract

I don’t think that many expect the players getting these long term deals to be big contributors or even active in the back end of their contracts. It’s simply a way to keep their AAVs down for CBT purposes. Essentially deferred money. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t think that many expect the players getting these long term deals to be big contributors or even active in the back end of their contracts. It’s simply a way to keep their AAVs down for CBT purposes. Essentially deferred money. 

Has there been a team that won the world series with any of those contracts on the books from previous years?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

correa is still a guy who's never hit 30 homers or driven in 100.  that's what mvp's do.  that's what middle of the lineup guys are expected to do.  and that's what the other huge contract shortstops have done.  he's also not gonna hit .330 or swipe 40 bases like a trea turner.  he was an mvp candidate because he was the best defensive ss and one of the best overall defenders in baseball.

he'll need to continue that at the hardest position to do so (especially for a big guy) because i don't see his offensive numbers spiking in that lineup or that stadium.

glad he got his money.  glad he's in the nl.  but this contract is not going to be a good one.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I expect the Mets to join the list. Surely they’ll win a title between now and 2035, when the Bonilla payments end. 

I should have excluded the Bonilla rule I mean 1mm dollars isn't much to the Mets today season by season.  I'm talking about the JuanGone, Pujols, Cabrera, and now insert about 10 new massive deals after this off-season level.