2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Worth a shot in Houston?

After Conforto, benintendi, or a trade. Absolutely. I'd take him over Brantley, because of his ability to be a + defender anywhere in the OF. I think the Astros can afford one 3 true outcome guy that bats 7th-9th in the lineup.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I actually think Gallo will greatly benefit from the no shift rules. He can play all 3 OF spots.

Have to make contact for any of that to matter- but yeah- if we brought him in for 6 or 8M on a 1 year deal I'd be in favor of it. If he sucks you can cut him.  That's about what dickhead Click paid the dickhead Dodger reliever to throw 6 shitty innings for us over 2 years.

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

After Conforto, benintendi, or a trade. Absolutely. I'd take him over Brantley, because of his ability to be a + defender anywhere in the OF. I think the Astros can afford ine 3 true outcome guy that bats 7th-9th in the lineup.

Exactly my thought process.  And the exact order I'd have it in to.  Conforto, Trade, BennyNintendo, Gallo then Brantley. 

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Have to make contact for any of that to matter- but yeah- if we brought him in for 6 or 8M on a 1 year deal I'd be in favor of it. If he sucks you can cut him.  That's about what dickhead Click paid the dickhead Dodger reliever to throw 6 shitty innings for us over 2 years.

I mean if he can be a reasonable facsimile of his Texas 2021 season, you take that and celebrate. 

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

2636517F-E3B6-48BF-976E-71F340CCCEDA.thumb.jpeg.f42b439d1c9f757dd283cccba45b78c2.jpeg

For Houston to be this hard up on catchers makes me think they don’t believe Diaz/Lee are ready. We don’t have much farm, so Vasquez for 3 years makes sense.

With LF/DH I have to think beyond just 2023. RF if we keep Tucker is 7-8 years 300 million at this rate. If they can’t tie him up in time before arbitration, we need to be looking to replace Tucker somewhere in the lineup. Maybe Benintendi (if still available) starts looking like a super great deal.

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Because they wanted him to stick at catcher, but he's not up to their standards defensively or at handling a pitching staff.  His bat is good enough to move positions though.

Poor defensive catchers will be thrown a lifeline in 2024 with the introduction of robot umps.  He may be a guy who catches 1/5th of the time in that scenario..

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s a Tucker contract look like? I’d offer him 5 years $150 million yesterday. 

Not even close.  He’s 3 years away from $300M+.  And he’s gotten big money from the draft and from this seasons new bonus; he doesn’t need the money.

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He might, might think about it for 200.

Yep.

• Hook 'Em 1

^^^

You guys are nuts. Tucker is under team control for 3 years where he’ll make around $35M. So y’all are proposing paying him an additional $115M- $165M for 2 free agent years. Extend the term of an extension to at least 7 years and you might be in the ballpark. 

Edited by TonyTexas

21 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^

You guys are nuts. Tucker is under team control for 3 years where he’ll make around $35M. So y’all are proposing paying him an additional $115M- $165M for 2 free agent years. Extend the term of an extension to at least 7 years and you might be in the ballpark. 

All of this is true, but he is irreparably harmed if he signs a 5 year extension, because then he can’t sell any years to FA pursuers as “prime” years. He’d likely be better off being un-encumbered and selling himself entering his age 29 season (he turns 26 in January) as a 10 year guy with 2 or 3 years of absolute prime left than he would as an about to turn 31 rear old with all of his best baseball behind him (not that he won’t still be really good, but your best year is almost always in your 20’s, absent pharma help). To make him whole there you probably have to give him more than 50M a year to make up for it. 
All our efforts should be focused on Abreu, Javier, Urquidy, Garcia and Framber.  Those guys didn’t make big bonuses so they aren’t currently flush with cash, and they come from a culture that appreciates the idea of generational wealth being guaranteed more than being concerned with making sure they maximize every last cent of their career plays out to its upside. 
note- this isn’t some sort of thinly veiled racism. If I was a ballplayer I’d be a lot more like the Latin guys that sign 8 or 10 year deals for 9 figures than I would be interested in maximizing my bag 6 years from now. Anything can happen. Guarantee me the big bucks right away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Javier should be the primary target for an extension.  Abreu and Pena would be next although likely harder to gauge.  It’s a shame Meyers didn’t take charge of CF last season because he’d also be a prime extension candidate.

What would your extension offers (max) be for the following: player/extension/portion that’s FA money 

Javier (7/100)- 4/80 FA years

Abreu (6/50) 3/38 FA years 

Framber (5/85) 2/45 FA years 

Garcia (7/70) 3/45 FA years 

Urquidy (6/45) 3/30 FA years 

Tucker- (10/250) 7/210 FA years  

Peña- (10/100) 5/70 FA years 

obviously if those guys keep it up they’d all outearn the FA offer here but I feel like that’s somewhere between 70-85% value for all fuys at least 3 years out  bigger discounts for spend and Garcia as they are 4/5 years out respectively  

57 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Abreu has logged a lot of innings as a starter 

I’d love to see them give him a shot there next year. He could be a dominant closer but if he could be a live arm that throws 150 inning at 3.0 or less that’s just way more valuable than a leverage reliever, and we have enough leverage relievers. If it goes poorly in the first half you can transition him back with no problem.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d love to see them give him a shot there next year. He could be a dominant closer but if he could be a live arm that throws 150 inning at 3.0 or less that’s just way more valuable than a leverage reliever, and we have enough leverage relievers. If it goes poorly in the first half you can transition him back with no problem.  

Knock on wood,

we’re going to have a ton of flexibility with our BP and starters 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s got closer written all over him and should take over once Pressly leaves.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Presley is signed for 3 more years?  Or is it 4?  They should try him at starter next year. We’ve got enough guys to try. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/ryan-pressly-12173/

According to Spotrac it's 2 more years with the third year being a vesting option. If he doesn't get hurt for an extended period the option will happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What would your extension offers (max) be for the following: player/extension/portion that’s FA money 

Javier (7/100)- 4/80 FA years

Abreu (6/50) 3/38 FA years 

Framber (5/85) 2/45 FA years 

Garcia (7/70) 3/45 FA years 

Urquidy (6/45) 3/30 FA years 

Tucker- (10/250) 7/210 FA years  

Peña- (10/100) 5/70 FA years 

obviously if those guys keep it up they’d all outearn the FA offer here but I feel like that’s somewhere between 70-85% value for all fuys at least 3 years out  bigger discounts for spend and Garcia as they are 4/5 years out respectively  

Javier and Abreu look fair to me.  I would not make that offer to Garcia or Framber or Urquidy although they look reasonable.  Tucker’s looks reasonable but I don’t think he would accept.  The Pena offer is way too low, add at least $50M.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Mstrat said:

There is no reasonable or somewhat unreasonable offer for Tucker the Astros could make. I’m convinced he wants to be somewhere else.

51 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t doubt this for a minute. 

I’d like to hear why y’all are saying this. If you’re talking about an extension before free agency, then maybe. He seems to want to maximize  But if the Astros match or exceed the best offer three years from now, he’d gladly take it. 

• Like 1