2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

4 years ago, before Correa started FA, I said he was going to make 400+ for his career. 

He’s made ~60M more or less since then. He needs to sign a 12/340M deal somewhere to take him to his age 40 season. Anyone want to definitely bet against him getting that in this market? 

Seriously after the shit bird rangers and Detroit Tigers both threw around huge contracts for inferior short stops, and what’s going on this year for FA SS, if Correa doesn’t get 10+ for 300+ the only logical explanation is because he’s hated by decision makers around the game for being the face of the scandal. 

Be interesting to see if Boston signs him. That’s a better bet for his HOF credentials than the Giants. If he does well up there the NE media will whitewash away 2017 and he will fly right into the HOF. He won’t get the same benefit of the doubt in SF. 

Arbitration filings are January 13th for teams leaving a little over a month to settle Tucker, Valdez and Javier. Valdez and Javier may sign by then, but I suspect Tucker will hit arbitration betting that with the shift rules change he will have much more leverage after 2023.

6 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Boegarts to SD for 280mm over 11 years!

Correa to the Dodgers is the only likely outcome now. 

Padres have already been my favorite NL team.  This only compounds it.

I agree with the others saying Correa to Dodgers is better if they over pay.  Money is money, but I'd much rather him go where he will be appreciated.  Fuck Dodger fans and their idiotic moral high horse.

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

unpopular opinion, I'm good resigning brantley and yuli to very friendly deals. we figure out needs at the trade deadline. 

vasquez would be a nice addition 

I don’t like gambling on Brantley’s health since we won’t know anything for months, but I understand the argument there to a degree, even if I think there are better options.

But I don’t even know what a “very friendly deal” for Gurriel looks like. He’s not going to be the 1B anymore. He’s doesn’t have the range to play all over the infield anymore. He looks washed as a hitter. Unless he wants to move into an off the field role where his leadership skills are still utilized-the only thing he offers of value at this point-it seems like a completely irrational, sentimental waste of a roster spot to me.

Maybe if he gets “hurt” in’s spring training and spends the whole year on the IL hanging around the clubhouse…

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, APMP said:

How do the Pads fit Machado, Tatis Jr., and Xander into the infield?

They move Tatis to the OF to protect his shoulder from diving, though Machado has 5 PO's after this season at $32M each, maybe he opts out, and then they can move Bogaerts to 3rd. Kim is their best defensive SS. 

Edited by HtownHorn

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In order that it hurt me as a fan

Springer

Correa

Morton

JV

Cole 

Move Morton above Correa and that's my list. Also, losing Cole did not hurt me at all. 

13 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Scott Servais is still doing the "I fucked around and found out" face. Lol

He is incapable of not looking like a cunt. 

• Like 2

I get that Varsho’s ability to play C and OF makes him a valuable piece. But he’s been an average hitter in his 3 seasons in MLB. I’d like to have him for his versatility, but not if they’re asking for a package that could get you, say, Bryan Reynolds. Thomas would be interesting too, but much less of a sure thing.

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I get that Varsho’s ability to play C and OF makes him a valuable piece. But he’s been an average hitter in his 3 seasons in MLB. I’d like to have him for his versatility, but not if they’re asking for a package that could get you, say, Bryan Reynolds. Thomas would be interesting too, but much less of a sure thing.

I’d take Varsho over Reynolds. He fits the 2 weakest spots on our roster. He fits the two hardest to fill spots on our roster. I just don’t like Reynolds all that much. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I'd really prefer to sign an OF than trade for one. 

Agree. We really don’t have the chips for a significant trade for a long term player. While we know that the Astros are good at developing players, particularly pitchers, the rest of league has a hard time identifying our valuable but non-ranked prospects. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d take Varsho over Reynolds. He fits the 2 weakest spots on our roster. He fits the two hardest to fill spots on our roster. I just don’t like Reynolds all that much. 

Varsho can also be an elite defensive CF; Reynolds is a league average LF.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just so y’all meanie heads know I plugged in my Chas McCormick for George Spronger trade into the trade value simulation and it rejected the trade because it said it was unfair to the Astros. So suck on that. 
it has Garcia as the most valuable Astros Trade asset, Chas #2 and Hunter Brown #3. I think that’s laughably dumb. Everyone knows Whitley is the best trade chip in the Astros organization. 

52 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just so y’all meanie heads know I plugged in my Chas McCormick for George Spronger trade into the trade value simulation and it rejected the trade because it said it was unfair to the Astros. So suck on that. 
it has Garcia as the most valuable Astros Trade asset, Chas #2 and Hunter Brown #3. I think that’s laughably dumb. Everyone knows Whitley is the best trade chip in the Astros organization. 

Bielak, Martinez, Paredes, Taylor, and Mushinski should be considered as expendable. I'd also consider Urquidy or Garcia, if we turned around and signed Bassit or Rodon.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bielak, Martinez, Paredes, Taylor, and Mushinski should be considered as expendable. I'd also consider Urquidy or Garcia, if we turned around and signed Bassit or Rodon.

I can’t imagine anyone trading for any of the first 5 guys you mentioned- not even as a tertiary piece. 
Trade value estimator loves them some Garcia. I don’t think he has real world value that highly coveted but with what mediocre to decent pitching is going for I guess a guy who will give you 4 years of average to above average pitching for something like 20 or 25M total does have a fair bit of imputed surplus value. The thing I would say about that is “who is going to view him as a missing piece to anything good/great?”  

3 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Angels still waiting by phone for that Whitley for Trout and angels pick half his remaining pay trade call.

I’d trade Trout for not much if he wanted out as the Angels. Too many health problems, not enough likely surplus value, no positive results when he was young and cheap and amazing. What’s the point?  They need a re-set. It’s criminal how they’ve wasted his career through their incompetence 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Varsho can also be an elite defensive CF; Reynolds is a league average LF.

Ok, can’t say I know much about his defensive ability in the OF (I live in a region where blackout rules apply to D-Backs and Rockies, so I can’t say I’ve ever actually seen him play).

If he’s an elite defender then I get it (though his K/BB ratio isn’t promising).  

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Ok, can’t say I know much about his defensive ability in the OF (I live in a region where blackout rules apply to D-Backs and Rockies, so I can’t say I’ve ever actually seen him play).

If he’s an elite defender then I get it (though his K/BB ratio isn’t promising).  

He looks good at all 3 OF positions according to both OAA and DRS. And he's serviceable at catcher.

47 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He was the most pull happy hitter in MLB last year. 

One point of note here though is that Varsho may be a big beneficiary of the elimination of infield shifts in 2023. When teams were shifted or in strategic alignment against  Varsho he had a .305 wOBA (Weighted on base average). When teams were in standard infield alignment that number jumped to .347 wOBA. (MLB average wOBA was .310 in 2022)