2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

Why wouldn't Vasquez want to come back? He seems like a cheap option to plug the hole. I thought he was great in the playoffs when he started. Catcher seems like a very good position to platoon if you can get 2 guys willing to share the load. You don't have to have a .300 hitter at every position, and catchers than can do that are fairly rare. 

I really liked Chas McCormick during the playoffs too. He plays good defense and is about an average hitter. He's a very cheap option to fill that hole for now. Unless that can get a significant guy like Nimmo, I don't see a problem starting the season with him in Center field. The 1-6 batters will carry the team, 7-9 can be kind of shitty until the deadline.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Sign Vazquez. 6 man rotation, 3 for Maldy, 3 for Vazquez. Profit. 

What I’d really like is a LF/1B/DH type to play left, backup Abreu and DH the times Yordan has to play left. I will never agree that it’s in the best interests of the Astros to have Yordan in the outfield 100-120 games 

Can I introduce you to Nimmo?  He plays CF but if a guy playing 120 games excites you, and doing it at a high level, he’s your guy!  
Give Chas a 1B glove and tell him that’s his version of having to sing for his supper 15 times a year- he can handle the other stuff at LF/DH etc. This organization really doesn’t appreciate the Chas Michael Michaels experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Can I introduce you to Nimmo?  He plays CF but if a guy playing 120 games excites you, and doing it at a high level, he’s your guy!  
Give Chas a 1B glove and tell him that’s his version of having to sing for his supper 15 times a year- he can handle the other stuff at LF/DH etc. This organization really doesn’t appreciate the Chas Michael Michaels experience. 

I like it. Chas would probably jump all over it. I know everyone wants Yuli for a backup 1B/Util/DH guy but I know we can get someone with a better bat and more versatility. But I won’t moan if that’s the way we go. As it stands the only 1B we have is Abreu and it will bring peace and harmony to the masses. 

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm going to have to see Chas make some tough catches before I stick him at first.

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is it possible that Crane is secretly cheap? 
he talks every trade deadline about how we will go way into the tax for the right deal but it never materialized. 
our biggest FA outlay ever is like 60M under him, right?

The Yordan extension was of the variety of “you can’t afford not to do this- and now we are letting the Cardinals drink our milkshake on our self appointed #1 target over an insignificant amount of money. 

i don’t actually think he’s really cheap- but I think he damn sure talks more like a big swinging dick than actually acting like one. Interesting dynamic to watch play out this off-season. If the off-season becomes nothing more than JV out, Montero retained, Abreu signed and Brantley maybe brought in during spring training while way behind I can’t say that we actually got better, can you? I don’t think that’s how it all plays out. I certainly hope not. But it would be disappointing with as much swag as they displayed while kicking Click out. 

Crane to Wulaw:

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I really liked Chas McCormick during the playoffs too. He plays good defense and is about an average hitter. He's a very cheap option to fill that hole for now. Unless that can get a significant guy like Nimmo, I don't see a problem starting the season with him in Center field. The 1-6 batters will carry the team, 7-9 can be kind of shitty until the deadline.

He’s actually an above average hitter. Has been both years, and improved his approach last season. This team doesn’t need a CF at all, it needs a bat who can play LF/1B/DH. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Hensley played a few games at 1B in college. Has he been groomed there at all in the minors? Not sure why they wouldn't try it. A 6-6 utility infielder presumably would have what it takes to become a serviceable backup at 1B. 

He’s played in 71 minor league games at first. 

12 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

He’s actually an above average hitter. Has been both years, and improved his approach last season. This team doesn’t need a CF at all, it needs a bat who can play LF/1B/DH. 

Agreed. IMO they are not looking to spend big FA money on an OF/DH type with this free agency class and will look to either guys like Yanier Diaz, Pedro Leon, or maybe even 2022 breakout Justin Dirden to fill that spot. Save that money and use it to sign Chris Bassitt. 

So let this sink in for a second - the Astros are the odds-on favorite to WIN the 2023 World Series RIGHT NOW. 

That means the roster as currently constructed is the best team in baseball.

With all of the money being thrown around by the stupid teams we are still the best. 

And we still have plenty of money to spend for the right player.

I'm kind of partial to standing pat (maybe re-sign Vasquez) and just rolling what we have until the ASB next year. Then go for it in a big trade if needed.

Goddam it's great to be an Astros fan right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

So let this sink in for a second - the Astros are the odds-on favorite to WIN the 2023 World Series RIGHT NOW. 

That means the roster as currently constructed is the best team in baseball.

With all of the money being thrown around by the stupid teams we are still the best. 

And we still have plenty of money to spend for the right player.

I'm kind of partial to standing pat (maybe re-sign Vasquez) and just rolling what we have until the ASB next year. Then go for it in a big trade if needed.

Goddam it's great to be an Astros fan right now. 

not mad at this. mostly because i know we’ll do what needs to be done in july. 

• Hook 'Em 1