2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I’d like to hear why y’all are saying this. If you’re talking about an extension before free agency, then maybe. He seems to want to maximize  But if the Astros match or exceed the best offer three years from now, he’d gladly take it. 

Nothing other than a feeling. Not in a “this guy is a malcontent way, just in a “this guy doesn’t seem  as connected to the fan base or city” as some of the other guys. 
That’s mot a bad thing. He’s from Florida. He didn’t choose to play here. It’s cool. Just my sense. 

5 minutes ago, Mstrat said:

Looking ahead at the FA class of 2024, there are no good options at catcher. The OF options aren’t so great either. This is the offseason to make those moves.

Yep. It’s why I wanted Contreras so badly.  They don’t have to solve 2024 OF this off-season.  A 1 year guy and wait and see on Leon or a couple of the other guys is just fine imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nothing other than a feeling. Not in a “this guy is a malcontent way, just in a “this guy doesn’t seem  as connected to the fan base or city” as some of the other guys. 
That’s mot a bad thing. He’s from Florida. He didn’t choose to play here. It’s cool. Just my sense. 

wanting to make a bunch of money isn't the same thing as wanting to be elsewhere. 

maybe he's really used to winning so he takes it for granted, but it doesn't happen everywhere.  he got drafted to a team where his brother already played and he seemed pretty excited about that.  he's performed well and seems like 'one of the guys' to me when they're celebrating or whatever.

he also seems a little reserved and his personality doesn't exactly scream la or nyc to me, so i don't think that's it.  he doesn't seem disconnected to the city or fanbase to me, but i would have no idea.  there's also a good chance we've offered him multiple buyout type deals, but typically you don't hear about those if they're not signed.

if he goes to free agency, he'll leave because we don't offer the types of deals he'll fetch from somewhere else.  not because he wants to be somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 4

45 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

wanting to make a bunch of money isn't the same thing as wanting to be elsewhere. 

maybe he's really used to winning so he takes it for granted, but it doesn't happen everywhere.  he got drafted to a team where his brother already played and he seemed pretty excited about that.  he's performed well and seems like 'one of the guys' to me when they're celebrating or whatever.

he also seems a little reserved and his personality doesn't exactly scream la or nyc to me, so i don't think that's it.  he doesn't seem disconnected to the city or fanbase to me, but i would have no idea.  there's also a good chance we've offered him multiple buyout type deals, but typically you don't hear about those if they're not signed.

if he goes to free agency, he'll leave because we don't offer the types of deals he'll fetch from somewhere else.  not because he wants to be somewhere else.

It could just be quiet or reserved personality and that’s what I’m seeing with a feeling that he’s not as all in as others. 
I know they talked extension with him last year but didn’t get particularly close. 
he’s the kind of guy you probably need to Lock up as a rookie if you are going to do it. He’s too young and too close to FA to feel compelled to sign now. It’s not like he’s a pitcher who could have his arm fall off. Pretty low risk for that dude. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. It’s why I wanted Contreras so badly.  They don’t have to solve 2024 OF this off-season.  A 1 year guy and wait and see on Leon or a couple of the other guys is just fine imo. 

Yep Contreras was actually a long play but I’m not upset we passed. Bigger bases, two throws may make defensive catchers even more valuable. Sign Vazquez. And sell Conforto on a two year deal with opt out after one to throw up big stats and win a World Series. Bat 7th, knock in 80+. Profit. Only OF rental available next July will be Ian Happ. If you get him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Yep Contreras was actually a long play but I’m not upset we passed. Bigger bases, two throws may make defensive catchers even more valuable. Sign Vazquez. And sell Conforto on a two year deal with opt out after one to throw up big stats and win a World Series. Bat 7th, knock in 80+. Profit. Only OF rental available next July will be Ian Happ. If you get him.  

Agreed on Conforto. I’m good with Vasquez if he’s going to be the playoff starter. I think achicago might be trying to win and that division sucks so maybe no of rental available.  
of course, if Yordan is going to be in LF most of the time that means we can go to best bat available. I will renew my call for Nelson Cruz to be DH against LHP. I think he’s only 45. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

There’s no telling who will be available in july

did anyone thing this time last year that Juan soto would be traded ?

Yep. That’s what I meant about rental going into FA. Every player is potentially available. That’s what pissed me off about Click last year. He said no OF was available but with pitching to offer I promise you someone was available. But depending on how teams play, who knows who will play themselves into availability.

From the Rosenthal article:

• Teams are making a renewed push in trade discussions for A’s catcher Sean Murphy, and the negotiations for free-agent catcher Christian Vázquez also appear to be gaining momentum.

The clubs pursuing Vázquez include the Twins, Padres, Cubs and Astros. Murphy obviously would be a fit for those teams as well. The Rays and Guardians also have shown interest in Murphy, who is under club control for three more seasons.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this is the most active offseason for catchers in recent memory.  the blue jays need to unload one as well.

we should end up with someone solid as the contreras consolation prize.

maybe we can offer chas for springer and their back up catcher ?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

maybe we can offer chas for springer and their back up catcher ?

When I tried to trade Chas for Springer said TOR wasn’t throwing in enough so maybe 😊
TOR wanted to sign JV. That would be the only reason for them to move off of money. Sprinter is projected to have $11M in surplus value over the course of his contract. If he was traded and they didn’t throw in money it would be A) because they are looking for a salary dump and B) they wouldn’t get much back. Like when Arenado got

traded for nothing and Col threw in money. 
allegedly they are open to trading Bryant and throwing in money to get off the deal. If that’s true HOU should look into that. 

I mean, I started talking about it in March or April last year and people mocked me. 

I don’t think I mocked you, but I definitely didn’t think he’d get moved with that much team control remaining. I guess I underestimated how bad Washington really was and how relatively crappy Soto was going to be last year. It shouldn’t have changed anyone’s minds, but I wonder what that trade would’ve looked like if he was having a typical Soto season. 

28 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don’t think I mocked you, but I definitely didn’t think he’d get moved with that much team control remaining. I guess I underestimated how bad Washington really was and how relatively crappy Soto was going to be last year. It shouldn’t have changed anyone’s minds, but I wonder what that trade would’ve looked like if he was having a typical Soto season. 

I don’t think it mattered at all what he was going to do. They were spending a ton of dead money and clearly more than 2 or 3 years away from being good again so that was the ONLY logical move for them once he turned down their very generous extension offer. Logic doesn’t always win out, but this time it did.

7 minutes ago, runthebone said:

All I know is that I was at a meaningless Nationals game this past year when Soto made the last out at third down 7, and I thought:  what a dumbass.  Maybe he should be an Astro.

It’s one of my FAVORITE ongoing gags with this team- how mad people get about the Tootblans. 

I don’t think it mattered at all what he was going to do. They were spending a ton of dead money and clearly more than 2 or 3 years away from being good again so that was the ONLY logical move for them once he turned down their very generous extension offer. Logic doesn’t always win out, but this time it did.

Oh I agree that they needed to move him; I just didn’t think they’d take a package like they ended up getting from SD. I figured it would take more. I was wrong. 

On 12/10/2022 at 6:13 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

What would your extension offers (max) be for the following: player/extension/portion that’s FA money 

Javier (7/100)- 4/80 FA years

Abreu (6/50) 3/38 FA years 

Framber (5/85) 2/45 FA years 

Garcia (7/70) 3/45 FA years 

Urquidy (6/45) 3/30 FA years 

Tucker- (10/250) 7/210 FA years  

Peña- (10/100) 5/70 FA years 

obviously if those guys keep it up they’d all outearn the FA offer here but I feel like that’s somewhere between 70-85% value for all fuys at least 3 years out  bigger discounts for spend and Garcia as they are 4/5 years out respectively  

I'm good with all those, but it's not my money.  Pena needs another good season or 2 before your start talking about a 10 year deal. 

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Whatever Correa gets, pena could be looking at 30% more when he hits the market 

Seriously bro- Peña will be 31. Carlos is 28. Peña for his career is 1% better than average offensively, Correa is ~30% better for his career. If Peña gets within 35% of Correas career earnings it will be a shock and it will only be because Peña got WAY better, which I’m here for. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

If we trade Brown or Javier I will lose my shit
Screenshot_2022-12-12-15-00-28-57_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.thumb.jpg.1fc6d85fe9fe0dfa7fc1a8ea61c65fe6.jpg

You DONT do trade deals without a GM. Fuck this speculation. I hope that was the ask and someone in Houston said GFY. I’d rather come up short next year in the playoffs than mortgage the ENTIRE reason we’re okay with letting Verlander walk.

Varsho will cost one of their starting pitchers (besides Urquidy) and then some.  Even then, I don't see how he's a big upgrade to what they have currently unless he can competently catch >700 innings a season, which he's only come close to once in his career in AA.  

Two of the Astros best prospects are catchers, with one of them having a bat good enough to play other positions.  Might as well get an economical compliment to Maldy and see if Lee or Diaz can develop into something.  

3 minutes ago, dr99 said:

We should throw in Pena and Tucker also

To be fair the Astros probably should trade Leon to anyone willing to give up anything for him.  Another season of mediocrity and he won't be worth anything.