PIxar's next movie: Elemental

mdmost

Feels like the last several Pixar movies have been made for the grown up kids that they used to make movies for. Outside of Luca (which was just ok), every Pixar film since Onward had been a dud. 

They need to get back to making kid movies at heart, with winks to the parents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

a lot of these past few cartoons made by different studios are more for an audience of kids that are more in tune with their natural world.  Every generation is a little more aware than the previous.  You could even call them somewhat spiritual in their content.  Like this movie being about different elements and their interaction with each other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 12:42 AM, Yev Kassem said:

Feels like the last several Pixar movies have been made for the grown up kids that they used to make movies for. Outside of Luca (which was just ok), every Pixar film since Onward had been a dud. 

They need to get back to making kid movies at heart, with winks to the parents. 

To this point:

Disney’s animated movies keep bombing. Strange World registered one of the worst opening weekends for Disney in the modern era, and it’s on track to lose $100 million overall, according to Variety. Coming after Lightyear’s flop, the box-office bomb will draw the attention of newly installed CEO Bob Iger, who needs to figure out how to revive Disney’s once-vaunted animation lineup. (Fun fact: Strange World had the worst three-day opening for a Disney animated film since The Emperor’s New Groove in 2000

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

doesn't seem to be much effort at marketing.  i've barely heard of this thing.  i don't see ads for it.  i've got three kids, they've never said a word about it.

I wonder if that has something to do with the strategy and why chapek was fired and Iger is back?

I think that could be it. Feels like Chapek was only interested in streaming. I too didn't see anything on Strange World other than a couple spots and a billboard. Though given the reviews I've seen, perhaps they knew it was going to be a bad movie. 

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think that could be it. Feels like Chapek was only interested in streaming. I too didn't see anything on Strange World other than a couple spots and a billboard. Though given the reviews I've seen, perhaps they knew it was going to be a bad movie. 

I was reading that Iger is announcing layoffs in the name of creativity and storytelling. “It will be interesting to see if Iger double’s down on Disney IP for Disney+ and abandon more general purpose exclusive streaming, i.e. admit that the 21st Century Fox acquisition was a mistake”.

17 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

what the heck is strange world? 

even with the horrible box office- did it get decent ratings or reviews? or was it just bad all around?

Important context for anyone genuinely wanting to discuss this movie: The main character is gay and many folks have made it their mission to make sure this one bombed.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

I was reading that Iger is announcing layoffs in the name of creativity and storytelling. “It will be interesting to see if Iger double’s down on Disney IP for Disney+ and abandon more general purpose exclusive streaming, i.e. admit that the 21st Century Fox acquisition was a mistake”.

Once Avatar 2 loses about $1.5B (it needs $2B to break even), they’re gonna really regret buying Fox.

18 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Once Avatar 2 loses about $1.5B (it needs $2B to break even), they’re gonna really regret buying Fox.

I was wondering about this. 10 years ago when this movie was a smash hit I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now, but I wonder if our culture will show up for this movie. I can't imagine millions of people are just dying to see this movie, as if it's peak Marvel or Star Wars or something like that. But, like I said, I didn't get the love for the first one either so what do I know?

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think Avatar is much more appreciated overseas than here in the US. The foreign market was really what made it the highest grossing movie at the time. It almost did 2 billion worldwide compared to 750M here. That's till pretty impressive. I think it hit at the right time with the CGI and 3D. I don't feel audience are as into that now but we'll find out in under a month. 

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think Avatar is much more appreciated overseas than here in the US. The foreign market was really what made it the highest grossing movie at the time. It almost did 2 billion worldwide compared to 750M here. That's till pretty impressive. I think it hit at the right time with the CGI and 3D. I don't feel audience are as into that now but we'll find out in under a month. 

Having seen half the movie one time a decade ago, I was ambivalent about going on the Avatar ride in Animal Kingdom, but it was awesome. That's all I got.

• 3 months later...

my absolute trust and faith in Pixar has been shaken in recent years.  I'll probably still see this, but the trailer looks shows a story that looks annoyingly derivative, albeit with the typical Pixar look and feel (which does count for something).  

They've had some clunkers over the last 5 years or so, but I think Soul is a fantastic film. But it probably didn't kill it in the box office because it's not for younger kids. 

Elemental looks ok. I'll probably take my kids to see it. Looking forward to Inside Out 2, but that's pretty far off.

Strange World was not a Pixar film. That was a straight up Walt Disney Animation film. 

3 minutes ago, someguy said:

typical Pixar look and feel (which does count for something)

The character animation/rendering in the preview feels really uninspired to me.  Perhaps it is a technological triumph to animate water/fire...etc, IDK.

Just a personal reaction, may be appealing to others.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 8:29 AM, irishtexan said:

They've had some clunkers over the last 5 years or so, but I think Soul is a fantastic film. But it probably didn't kill it in the box office because it's not for younger kids. 

Totally agree about Soul... loved that film. It didn't do well in theatres because it didn't play there (I believe).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/25/2023 at 2:08 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Solid movie. The last scene had me cutting onions

pretty simple why pixar and disney etc arent getting the returns they used to. Its the same problem the superhero movies have: fatigue

These studios need to slow down and release only like one of these movies a year

Just saw this with my kids (6, 2.5, 2.5). I thought it was really solid film, and the kids had a blast at the theater (essentially empty). 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/25/2023 at 9:47 PM, NWBuck said:

Totally agree about Soul... loved that film. It didn't do well in theatres because it didn't play there (I believe).

Soul was fantastic. I think it’s one of those that the critics (and parents) loved but audiences (kids/tweens) generally didn’t. 

Edited by HonkeyVape

My kids liked it. It's fine. Beautiful animation, of course. Plot is pretty by-the-book. Much more of a love story element than any other Pixar movie I can remember. They really hit you over the head with the message of the film, not subtle at all.

Strangest thing to me was that it's not funny. A few small chuckles here and there, mostly targeted toward parents, not kids. There's no comic sidekick or anything like that.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

My kids liked it. It's fine. Beautiful animation, of course. Plot is pretty by-the-book. Much more of a love story element than any other Pixar movie I can remember. They really hit you over the head with the message of the film, not subtle at all.

Strangest thing to me was that it's not funny. A few small chuckles here and there, mostly targeted toward parents, not kids. There's no comic sidekick or anything like that.

I've heard the same: A Rom-Com but for kids and light on the "com" part of the Rom-Com equation.

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2023 at 9:00 PM, Chuckie Finster said:

Every single person involved in the marketing of this movie needs to be fired.

I had absolutely no interest in this movie based on the advertising/buzz yet it ended up being one of my favorite animated movies in years.

Even got my kiddo emotional, which was… unexpected.  Highly recommend.

Yeah the marketing sucked. I had no idea what this was even about. Come to find out it’s a first generation immigrant story. And it was great 

Saw it was on Disney+ this weekend so plan to watch this with the little kids.

My initial reaction to the little marketing I've seen (interactive billboards over the summer and brief trailer spots), it feels reductive. It feels like a personification of intangible ideas and putting them in a world we know (e.g. Fire world and their problems, Water and their unique issues, assuming an earth and a wind makes an appearance), which makes me think isn't that what Inside Out was? Do we need another Inside Out-like movie?

4 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

Saw it was on Disney+ this weekend so plan to watch this with the little kids.

My initial reaction to the little marketing I've seen (interactive billboards over the summer and brief trailer spots), it feels reductive. It feels like a personification of intangible ideas and putting them in a world we know (e.g. Fire world and their problems, Water and their unique issues, assuming an earth and a wind makes an appearance), which makes me think isn't that what Inside Out was? Do we need another Inside Out-like movie?

I don't blame you for having this impression based on the incredibly poor marketing campaign, but the story is much more nuanced and the elements are merely a conduit used to help tell this story.