USMNT 2023

ztejas

8 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Wanting GGG and defending the hire are two different things. I'll take the over. 

Enjoy being you.

Please explain to me how I'm defending the USSF's decision to retain Berhalter. 

I literally said up this page I would rather we have hired Marsch or Vieira.

I don't have a problem defending Berhalter's coaching ability - marginal as it may be - nor do I have a problem setting the record straight when posters get way off the mark of reality. 

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

nor do I have a problem setting the record straight when posters get way off the mark of reality. 

Unless you're the one making the absurd remarks, apparently, such as this gem from last night: 

• "Outside of the Reyna shit he's rarely been terrible with lineups."

Still can't believe anyone who claims to watch and support the USMNT could write that. It's as if you somehow forgot four years of case studies, i.e., Gergg leaving out key personnel in his camp callups, Gergg not calling up a balanced roster for camp, Gergg not starting his best XI, Gergg not using his best subs, Gergg not using those subs in a timely manner, Gergg playing MLS favorites (a la his pets), and on and on.

If you want to set the record straight, maybe start with yourself and the selective amnesia. This quasi-backpedal that you've been doing all day--all the while trying to maintain some self-appointed role as unofficial USMNT moderator--just makes you look bad and not particularly well informed.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Still can't believe anyone who claims to watch and support the USMNT could write that.

Dude give me a fucking break. I bleed for this team and I'm extremely critical of them.

Talk all of your shit. Just don't mischaracterize me along the way. Or do. Whatever. I'll still be here supporting these guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Who is defending the hire? Please educate us. @goatsaag is the biggest apologist here and I'm willing to bet he would have liked us to hire someone else. 

Keep yelling at the clouds. Over/under there's half a poster here that wanted Gerg.

Yeah, I think he's a solid coach who did well with the US but didn't do enough to be brought back for 4 more years. Would have preferred a change but bringing him back isn't the end of the world and does not doom the team to failure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It certainly doesn’t set them up for the most success either.

I'm calling it now, he doesn’t coach this team in the World Cup. No coach for the US has made it to the second World Cup since Arena and that was 2006. Everyone we extended since has flamed out. Being a much lesser coach, I expect Beerholder to do the same. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I saw Gregg spend zero time making tactical adjustments when teams prepared for his. That's easily my biggest issue, his completely inflexibility with his game plan and tactics.

stewart and mcbride made the decision to try the 433

the thinking was most of our euros in 2019 were playing in a 433 at club so they would be able to 'slot in' faster and the program would need less prep time and fewer big fixtures to get ready for full internationals

it's now clear that we need another 20 years and multiple generations of players to try it again

gergg had his moment

3 goals in 4 games and getting cut open by the dutch.......  nay, time to move on,, sir.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

wut?

Pepi was competing for one of three forward slots. His competition was Sargent, Haji, and Jesus (and Pefok). Morris was competing for a wing spot. His competition was Pulisic, Weah, Reyna, and Aaronson (with Arriola being the actual competition that he beat out).

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Ultimately this is what drives me nuts.

Artificially reducing the teams ceiling with a guy who is not good at the in game part of managing - strategy (see what they did with corners and FKS and crosses in the world cup), subs, in game adjustments, starting lineup, etc

This is already the most talented USMNT to play in a world cup. Instead of choosing a coach who does well with maximizing the players he has, puts them in a position to do well, and adjusts the system to the personnel he has...USSF picked a guy who isn't flexible, isn't good in game and do had not shown any interest in changing to get better.

It's the ultimate comfort hire.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Pepi was competing for one of three forward slots. His competition was Sargent, Haji, and Jesus (and Pefok). Morris was competing for a wing spot. His competition was Pulisic, Weah, Reyna, and Aaronson (with Arriola being the actual competition that he beat out).

I could just say ‘wut?’ like Hagbard, because you really don’t seem to know what you’re talking about.

You are seriously confusing positions.

First off, wingers ARE forwards.

Second, Aaronson is a midfielder.

Third, nothing says you have to bring set number of players per position. We could bring 4 strikers/3 wingers or 3 strikers/4 wingers. You can bring 23 defenders if you wanted. 

But the bigger issue is that our team has a limited number of roster spots, regardless of position. So in the end, when you have 25 players and you’re picking the 26th and it’s between Morris and Pepi, they are competing from the same roster slot, it doesn’t matter if they  play different positions.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm calling it now, he doesn’t coach this team in the World Cup. No coach for the US has made it to the second World Cup since Arena and that was 2006. Everyone we extended since has flamed out. Being a much lesser coach, I expect Beerholder to do the same. 

We can only hope. 

I think he will, unfortunately. This roster is too good to make him look that bad. And it's not like he needs to yet us through qualifying. 

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I would agree if we had to go through qualifying.  But what is going to get him fired between now and then?  Looking bad in the Copa?  I just don't see it unfortunately.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Also given his inflexibility in scheme, Ggreg will show all his cards the first time he calls up Gio.

If he’s listed as a MF - 👍

If he’s listed as a Forward - 👎

This.   If Gio isn’t in the middle behind our 9 we are limiting this team.  The only excuse, and it’s still a bad one because it’s still on the coach, is if the rest of the team hates Gio   

It’s been said multiple times, but seeing Weah and Balogun on right in a two man game with Pulisic free on left and Gio running the show is the best version of this team.  By far.  I get that it was just one game against a shitty Mexico team but it still wasn’t Grenada and it should have been 5-0.  

Put Adams back there destroying shit like he did for Leeds, with McKennie, Aaronson, and De La Torre (who I really like) off the bench in MF and we are super deep.   If Pepe can become dangerous as well and not follow the Altidore path as most of our strikers seem to do and wow   

In next 3 years one or two of that ideal starting 11 will fall out of form/be hurt enough to not be playable. But then there are guys like Tillman and the guys on the under 20 team that will play themselves into spots.  It’s fucking exciting, but the first time I see Gio on bench or in the right or left I’m going to know we’ve learned nothing. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

of course it depends on the opponent, but the double pivot with yunus and mckennie with gio at the 10 was bonertime. i think adams might be a bench player at times when we need to press the gas, but gergg and his inflexibility would never know this. MMA all the way! .... to burning them out by the round of 16! MMG would have been the play vs Iran and we prolly wouldn't have had to shart out a 1:0 victory and preserved Adams for the netherlands who maybe keeps up with depay who shit all over our defense. GERGGOUT

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

of course it depends on the opponent, but the double pivot with yunus and mckennie with gio at the 10 was bonertime.

This is what blows my mind. We had this with our World Cup personnel. CP and Weah on the wings in front of that, I think the striker is a very flexible position. I mean it could almost be a poacher type role. I think Sargent would have flourished even more. Pepi could have destroyed (with inclusion).

That attack could have put 2 or 3 on Wales. And I’m afraid to think what Iran would have done to their team when they returned home after we were through with them. Honestly that lineup could have given fits to England.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I would agree if we had to go through qualifying.  But what is going to get him fired between now and then?  Looking bad in the Copa?  I just don't see it unfortunately.

Bradley was fired after a 4-2 loss in the Gold Cup final (we blew a 2-0 lead) the year after a good run in 2010.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, USC_TMB said:

I know I’ll get roasted for this, but having grown up in L.A. and attending numerous soccer games from the 80’s - 2000’s, this behavior is par for the course. I don’t claim to know how it is in other areas, but anytime a Mexican team played it was ummm an experience. We knew to sit up high and not cheer any action. I’ve seen fights, you-name-the-object being hurled, live fireworks tossed into opposing teams sections, and God help you if Americas played Chivas. As bad as it was then, it appears to have gotten way out of hand. Weren’t they on like double-secret probation by FIFA or CONCACAF?

Looks like they’ve been fined and had to play some qualifiers behind closed doors, but they’ve been awarded 10 World Cup matches. Insane! 

El Tree

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, NoName said:

I'll wipe the Gio stuff off - no blame there.

But he should have reached out to Steffen and Pepi if he was hoping to get the gig back, at the least so if he was asked he could say he reached out.

We can all agree: fuck the USSF

the thinking as of this afternoon (and it is still in flux) is that the tweet by marsch's agent on thursday that "Jesse will not be named" means that he was VERY far down the path, they were at contracts, and there was something there that caused the fed to punt, some clause, guarantee term, something, that they could just not get across, and after supposedly having talked to 10 candidates, they then had to have a crash program on earlier in the week that led to a TEN-HOUR interview with gergg

more to come

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Fuck GGG. And fuck anyone try to defend this hire even if it's just a tired old contraian bullshit. This is about as bad as we could have done. Period. 

the meme starting to spin out of vegas this morning is that they struck out with TEN candidates and then getting down to 1 of 1 with no stalking horse, when they decided to pass on marsch they told themselves they were "making the safe choice" as the least bad of the options that they passed on

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

i would argue that juergen did not flame out - he followed up a world cup where we played our 2 best games back to back since 1930 - with a copa (yes on home soil) where he won 3 tournament full internationals in a row, which, excluding meaningless and valueless non-major orocopas, is the longest streak in US history

the surprise start to the 18 hex was a setup by our bullshit confedration - away tico - home tri - when tri hadn't take anything from a us-soil full international in 7 years, and were due.

our fed made a knee-jerk decision and our failure to qualify for russia proved the decision was flawed

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the meme starting to spin out of vegas this morning is that they struck out with TEN candidates and then getting down to 1 of 1 with no stalking horse, when they decided to pass on marsch they told themselves they were "making the safe choice" as the least bad of the options that they passed on

When a search firm brings you ten dudes, and you go 0/10...you don't just go make a comfort hire. You bump the search firm, find a new one or adjust the guidelines you gave them and then start over.

They think it sounds better that they stuck out ten times in a row and ended up with GGG? Yikes. Obviously some of those are fine - you are going to ask Pep. You are going to ask Zidane. But 0/10 means you screwed up with your list of choices (maybe on purpose) - not that you just go hire the next guy who will say yes to a job offer.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:41 PM, Zepol87 said:

Jesus Christ this shit is going on? Tactical manager is a dumb fuck fyi

He’s not dumb, he’s just 28 and has all of the knowledge and experience of someone who has followed the USMNT since 2010.

I don’t always agree with Max Bretos, but he’s been getting paid to cover soccer since the 1990s. So if you don’t have your own perspective from decades of analysis, at least pay attention to some journalists who have watched and/of covered the USMNT for decades.

On 6/16/2023 at 10:53 PM, Captain Ron said:

Gregg Berbalter will have to have a stroke, a fatal heart attack, or suffer drastic permanent physical damage to be removed from his position.

17 hours ago, The Dog said:

I’m going to go with “a part” rather than “apart”, because the tweeter followed it with “of” rather than “from” 

Prior three posts all explain why this hire was indefensible 6 months in. You want to do it in February after Reyna stuff cooled down?  Id bedisappointed but can live with it.  Rehiring him now now is just dumb. 

Yeah some players are backing him but they were clearly ok moving on as well, or there would have been more of a groundswell immediately after the Reyna fiasco.  

We are stuck with, now, though. Maybe Gregg grows from this and he doesn’t get in the way over the next cycle.  

Beat Canada.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I get that you may strike out on the big names but Marsch was sitting right in front of them twiddling his thumbs and they went back to Gerg. I read they couldn't work a contract out with him? What the fuck does that even mean? Just pay him what he wants. This isn't Ecuador. 

I can't imagine TA or BA had a problem with him. I guess it's possible. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I get that you may strike out on the big names but Marsch was sitting right in front of them twiddling his thumbs and they went back to Gerg. I read they couldn't work a contract out with him? What the fuck does that even mean? Just pay him what he wants. This isn't Ecuador. 

I can't imagine TA or BA had a problem with him. I guess it's possible. 

lebron-jr-smith-cropped.jpg?quality=85&s