USMNT 2023

ztejas

Just now, MisterP said:

Are Cowell or Vasquez good enough to start for the A team? Cowell too young? Thanks.

Presently, no. And probably not even close.

But Cowell is 19. He's fast, strong and makes some electrifying runs. His service and finishing are also questionable at best, but if he keeps putting in the work ...

With Pepi in form and Balogun having entered the mix, Vazquez might be entrenched on the B team. He's got a long ways to go if he hopes to displace either of them, imo. But he's perfect for this tournament.

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Are Cowell or Vasquez good enough to start for the A team? Cowell too young? Thanks.

Nah man. Cowell is a nice developmental piece - he's young and has some promise. 

Vasquez is older but potentially could be a part of the striker rotation moving forward. 

No one on this team has much of a chance of playing for the A squad save Turner. 

Also - don't listen to @Braff Zacklin he doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Edited by ztejas

Found it and sorry for being off topic.  I've been drinking and I'm heading to Vegas at 5AM.

Anyway, 2005 Gold Cup.  PKs against Panama.  My best friend and I had, at this point, traveled to several games to see the US play.  We're at a sports bar watching this game.  Go to 3:20.  In retrospect, one of the funniest PK takes I've ever seen.  It wasn't funny at the time.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I don't follow the USMNT closely enough to understand - why do we apparently (according to comments I've seen here) have so many B players on the roster in this tournament? Where are the A players and why aren't they playing? Is it because this is the off-season for the Euro leagues?

Yep.  Euro soccer is a grind.  The summer is usually considered a necessary break to recover.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I don't follow the USMNT closely enough to understand - why do we apparently (according to comments I've seen here) have so many B players on the roster in this tournament? Where are the A players and why aren't they playing? Is it because this is the off-season for the Euro leagues?

USMNT sent its A side to the previous tournament--the Nations League--which ended less than a week before this one started. Most of those players stayed home for this tournament, except for Turner, Zendejas and maybe one other guy I can't recall.

Canada kept most of its best players out of this tournament, as well.

Mexico was the only one of the "big 3" to send its A team to both tournaments. Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Because we have too many bullshit money grab tournaments this summer. Who really gives a fuck about nations league and gold cup especially when we are hosting in 26. These are about getting mid level guys exposure to make more money with clubs and move and sell tickets. 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Thanks for the heads up on Vasquez and Cowell. 

I think cowell will be on the A team eventually. The amount of minutes he gets will be debatable. But he's destined for Europe. 

BV is an injury and time in Germany away from being a 2026 senior team guy. He's the GERGG prototype for striker. Big in the air, holding forward, type player. 

My opinion is that both will be on the senior team in 2027, but possibly earlier based on development. Cowell needs a technical stint in Europe. He has amazing pace and work rate, but needs more than that to be a winger, esp winning 1v1s

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No one on this team has much of a chance of playing for the A squad save Turner. 

Also - don't listen to @Braff Zacklin he doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Miles Robinson would have been a first 11 guy in Qatar had he not gotten injured.

I also have really started to appreciate Sands. He'll get first team callups for sure. Thats a CDM GERGG bonertime alert.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Because we have too many bullshit money grab tournaments this summer. Who really gives a fuck about nations league and gold cup especially when we are hosting in 26. These are about getting mid level guys exposure to make more money with clubs and move. 

I don't see it that way.  I mean, we get summer tourneys every year in which our backups get PT and we get something to watch.  Yes, I get the money angle.  But WTF else is everyone going to do each summer.  I damn well rather watch a "B" league tourney over some random MLS games.  And I watch a lot of MLS games.  Plus, the money and exposure help a lot of less established teams.  If people are going to attend and watch, who cares if it's less important tourney?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Presently, no. And probably not even close.

But Cowell is 19. He's fast, strong and makes some electrifying runs. His service and finishing are also questionable at best, but if he keeps putting in the work ...

With Pepi in form and Balogun having entered the mix, Vazquez might be entrenched on the B team. He's got a long ways to go if he hopes to displace either of them, imo. But he's perfect for this tournament.

A tactician might decide to run a 3-5-2 and start Pepi and Vazquez and play for corners, and bring Balogun late.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Miles Robinson would have been a first 11 guy in Qatar had he not gotten injured.

I also have really started to appreciate Sands. He'll get first team callups for sure. Thats a CDM GERGG bonertime alert.

I want neither of those guys starting for us come 2026. 

Sorry - I want neither on the 2 deep come 2026.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I don't see it that way.  I mean, we get summer tourneys every year in which our backups get PT and we get something to watch.  Yes, I get the money angle.  But WTF else is everyone going to do each summer.  I damn well rather watch a "B" league tourney over some random MLS games.  And I watch a lot of MLS games.  Plus, the money and exposure help a lot of less established teams.  If people are going to attend and watch, who cares if it's less important tourney?

It's dumb to have Nations League AND the Gold Cup during the same summer. Just my $0.02.

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

A tactician might decide to run a 3-5-2 and start Pepi and Vazquez and play for corners, and bring Balogun late.

Well, if there's one thing Berhalter and his staff are known for, it's novel tactics.

Wait ...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Nations league and gold cup together was stupid. As a fan I love it because I’ll watch soccer at almost any level but convincing the A team guys was never gonna happen

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I wrong to think Cowell looks a lot like Matt Hoppe did that summer he got a ton of run with USMNT?  I remember liking that dude back them - lots of great runs, strong on ball, often can’t complete the play.  That’s not a knock on Cowell.  I remember really liking Hoppe that summer.  

He seemed to hit a wall fast given he’s stuck in non-Rangers/Celtic Scotland now. 

Am I wrong to think Cowell looks a lot like Matt Hoppe did that summer he got a ton of run with USMNT?  I remember liking that dude back them - lots of great runs, strong on ball, often can’t complete the play.  That’s not a knock on Cowell.  I remember really liking Hoppe that summer.  

He seemed to hit a wall fast given he’s stuck in non-Rangers/Celtic Scotland now. 

Yes, different players in different positions with different skill sets.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Yes, different players in different positions with different skill sets.

Are they not both tall, direct, left wingers?  I get Cowell played up top some in U-20 World Cup but he’s LW at San Hose and Hoppe played that spot just this last January for USMNT. 

In any event, they both seem good and strong on the ball but just lacking that last bit of skill our A team has.  Will be interested to see if Hoppe gets any run this year back at Middlesbrough or if he is stuck in Scotland again. 

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

In any event, they both seem good and strong on the ball but just lacking that last bit of skill our A team has.  Will be interested to see if Hoppe gets any run this year back at Middlesbrough or if he is stuck in Scotland again. 

For better or worse, Hoppe is headed back to Engerland.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-loanee-pens-emotional-goodbye-message-to-club-as-he-thanks-them-for-memories-4212357

The USMNT has somehow always had a great keeper despite our play on the rest of the pitch. So, I shouldn't be that surprised, that said...

Turner is fucking dominating this competition and letting everyone else know that he's the man to beat. 

I mean... surely we're competent enough to string enough shit together to help get this dude another domestic title.

This guy is playing like he wants a starting job in the EPL and I think we owe it to him to try and make his dreams come true.

I mean God fucking Damn Matt Turner what a performance and what a goalie through 4. 

Keep going. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Are they not both tall, direct, left wingers?  I get Cowell played up top some in U-20 World Cup but he’s LW at San Hose and Hoppe played that spot just this last January for USMNT. 

I see Hoppe as a only a #9 where Cowell is a #7 and thats the difference. Hope I'm wrong on Hoppe!

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Jesus saved our bacon.

Backbacon

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

World Cup in the middle of domestic seasons probably played a factor as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I think cowell will be on the A team eventually. The amount of minutes he gets will be debatable. But he's destined for Europe. 

BV is an injury and time in Germany away from being a 2026 senior team guy. He's the GERGG prototype for striker. Big in the air, holding forward, type player. 

My opinion is that both will be on the senior team in 2027, but possibly earlier based on development. Cowell needs a technical stint in Europe. He has amazing pace and work rate, but needs more than that to be a winger, esp winning 1v1s

6 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Cowell is that dude that tries extra hard at practice and scrimmages and annoys the fuck out of people. He is a workhorse and will have a spot in the A team definitely 

Agreed with both of these. Cowell has impressed me.  He clearly needs more experience, but he definitely has something worth watching.  He has a really interesting combination of speed and strength. 

Edited by TrashMaster G

Robinson was good in the Mexico game. But he was reckless last night and his passing was very poor with lofted balls. But the whole team is poor with balls in the air.  I didn’t see much of second half, but jones ball to Vazquez would be the exception to the poor quality.

Canada marked the midfielders tightly and we couldn’t pass well enough to break it often enough. 

Does what the “mls pro” Canadian guy did finally toss Long on the trash heap. Im not sure why McKenzie and Trusty aren’t playing in this tournament. Especially McKenzie since Trusty got a little play in the nations league. 

8 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Because we have too many bullshit money grab tournaments this summer. Who really gives a fuck about nations league and gold cup especially when we are hosting in 26. These are about getting mid level guys exposure to make more money with clubs and move and sell tickets. 

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's dumb to have Nations League AND the Gold Cup during the same summer. Just my $0.02.

Well, if there's one thing Berhalter and his staff are known for, it's novel tactics.

Wait ...

Nations league and gold cup together was stupid. As a fan I love it because I’ll watch soccer at almost any level but convincing the A team guys was never gonna happen

Having both the Nations League and Gold Cup in the same year is dumb. But the bigger issue wasn't that Nations League was a money grab, but the fact that CONCACAF has two Gold Cups between the World Cup (which was kind of done to give teams the chance to go to both the Gold Cup and the Copa):

Year 0 - World Cup
Year 1 - Gold Cup
Year 2 - ??? (didn't want to go H2H with Euros/Copa)
Year 3 - Gold Cup
Year 4 - World Cup

They made the Nations League to match the one put on by UEFA, which is every 2 years, between the World Cup and the Euros (Year 2 in the above chart), so it really makes the 2x Gold Cup look extra silly. Frankly we should go down to a single continental tournament and then make the Nations League an off year thing.

Cowell is that dude that tries extra hard at practice and scrimmages and annoys the fuck out of people. He is a workhorse and will have a spot in the A team definitely 

I think that's a little unfair to Cowell. The guy is talented. The issue is that he is playing behind guys that are next level from him. His top end talent is like 6-7 (out of 10) when the guys in front of him are 7-9s. He isn't busting his ass like Rudy. He's busting his ass to try to top out his talent, because he knows thats what it's going to take to get onto the A-squad.

7 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Watching this clip close the handbags start here (0:13) when these guys walk in and the Canadian player pushes the US player.

I can't tell who the US player is, but the Canadian looks like Vitoria (5), I can kind of make out his number at 0:16, right as Millar (11) turns around.

image.png.623698b5e289c0930cfef844be24053a.png