Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

And he’ll probably overtake him. Doesn’t change the fact that he’s up there. I’m no checo superfan though I do support him as I’ve been a max fan since I started a mere 5 years or so ago. Do they replace midseason or before end of next season, I don’t think so.

1 hour ago, deft said:

And he’ll probably overtake him. Doesn’t change the fact that he’s up there. I’m no checo superfan though I do support him as I’ve been a max fan since I started a mere 5 years or so ago. Do they replace midseason or before end of next season, I don’t think so.

If other teams are able to close the gap next season, no way he finishes his contract. 

Pirelli decided 2 corners needed to be changed to get rid of the curbs that they were worried would cause tire problems.  They narrowed the corners to get rid of them and the drivers got a 10 minute practice session before the sprint shootout qualifying.

38 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Pirelli decided 2 corners needed to be changed to get rid of the curbs that they were worried would cause tire problems.  They narrowed the corners to get rid of them and the drivers got a 10 minute practice session before the sprint shootout qualifying.

Was one turn 13 they changed? The one that gave everyone fits?

I see a lot of black and white flags happening tomorrow if the winds stay up. Felt like that corner was just a crapshoot. 

16 hours ago, deft said:

With regards to Sergio, it's some combination of these two things:

1) The car isn't quite as leaps and bounds faster than the field as advertised. Max is just currently the best driver on the planet, and he's made it seem that way in a very fast car designed specifically around his preferred driving style. Sergio has done just fine remaining in 2nd in a car not best suited for him.

2) The car is the rocket ship that it appears to be, half the field would be able to finish 2nd in it, and Sergio's inconsistent performance and bad Saturdays have underperformed to the car's capabilities.

I'd assume that Red Bull--and their engineers--are more prone to lean towards the 2nd option. How important is it to them to absolutely maximize the cars' performance from both of their seats?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

With regards to Sergio, it's some combination of these two things:

1) The car isn't quite as leaps and bounds faster than the field as advertised. Max is just currently the best driver on the planet, and he's made it seem that way in a very fast car designed specifically around his preferred driving style. Sergio has done just fine remaining in 2nd in a car not best suited for him.

2) The car is the rocket ship that it appears to be, half the field would be able to finish 2nd in it, and Sergio's inconsistent performance and bad Saturdays have underperformed to the car's capabilities.

I'd assume that Red Bull--and their engineers--are more prone to lean towards the 2nd option. How important is it to them to absolutely maximize the cars' performance from both of their seats?

Checo is generally fast in the race, so it definitely leaks a lot more toward #2 than #1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That car is wicked fast and probably at 75% currently. Even in Singapore when they finally looked human, they were chewing through the field once they had the right tires on.

You could put Sargent in that car and he's a top 5 driver. Red Bull killed it this year.

This just in: Ocon is a dumbfuck.

6 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

What did Vowles do?  I always enjoy his interviews from the pits. 

Here's the part where I summarize Autosport stuff.

I know we (myself included in the we) love to give the Brits hell, especially the Brit F1 press, but apparently the Sky crew (Naomi, Karun, and Simon) stepped up and did some actual journalism yesterday. I still can't find the interview, but everyone's talking about it on Autosport. They had James Vowles on, talking about how Andretti shouldn't be allowed in, how 'we already have an American team, so why do we need another', how Williams and 'half the teams' are losing money & struggling etc. Apparently the 3 of them challenged him quite a bit, asked hard questions, and basically Naomi told him that "there's room on the grid and in the rules for more teams, and the FIA has approved Andretti, so what's your gotdamn problem?" I believe that's a paraphrase, not a quote. : )

On a side note, Sky also ran a poll that showed 86% of fans in favor of Andretti's entry. I would imagine that the vast majority of those responding are British. Same goes on the other board. Probably around 90% not only in favor of Andretti, but also pretty pissed off that this is even in doubt. They're ripping the hell outta Vowles and the rest, pointing out that if you can't stay in the black in current F1, with a cost cap, etc, then that's on you, not F1 or Andretti, etc. I mean seriously, when has F1 been in better shape financially than it's in now?

Seriously, Vowles says F1 isn't stable enough right now. When has F1 been in better shape financially than it's in now? I'm honestly surprised he didn't run out the silly "Not enough room in the garages" nonsense.

Every argument these, eh, disingenuous TPs throw out there is utterly laughable.Every argument these dipshits throw out there is utterly laughable.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Obtw, Rodin CEO David Dicker, as we've suspected all along, says the teams don't have a say.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rodin-f1-didnt-back-up-rhetoric-on-wanting-something-new-from-11th-team/10529252/

Reflecting on the entry process, Dicker explained that he was not entirely surprised that the current F1 teams offered resistance, but felt that their influence amounted to "lunatics running the asylum".

Asked if he expected the current F1 teams to be against an 11th member, Dicker replied: "Oh yeah, of course!"

"You know, it's a case of a little club and they don't want to rock the boat. Actually, they don't want anything to change.

"I mean, look, it's crazy that the actual teams would even have any input into the decision to bring in a new team. That's like the inmates are running the asylum.

"The Liberty guys, that's a decision for them, but it really hasn't got anything to do with the teams at all."

And the TPs' constant crying about Andretti is interesting imho. It seems like if they were confident that FOM would deny Andretti, they wouldn't be screaming from the mountaintops every chance they get that FOM shouldn't let them in. To me, it seems like they're not at all confident of their position and are lobbying FOM publicly.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

So not to go Cloak Room, but at what point do I throw in the towel on certain races? For instance, the statement from Qatar on the Israel attack:

Of course, geopolitics is messy -- especially in the Middle East. But it's pretty clear cut when you go and kidnap/murder civilians that you're in the wrong. 

I think I will like Lewis a lot more once he isn't racing

That wreck was absolutely on him.

Also Checo is absolutely broken, George's car is busted and he just passed Perez like it was nothing. Idk how they keep him next year, dude has under achieved Soooooo much and in so many different ways (new ways every week)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

holy crap so LeClerc gonna have to come in imminently because he didn't start on new tires.

Mandated tire laps. Everyone will have 3 stops. Being off-cycle may pay off itlr.

• Hook 'Em 2