Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

2 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You should sleep between sessions, though. Staying up like that is unhealthy. 

FP2 prob the only session with a legit reason to skip.  So far I find myself fascinated to see how far these drivers try to stretch the limits...someone is going to end up in one of these walls with a pretty major impact.

I tuned in just to catch a glimpse of cars coming down the strip - didn't realize I'd see a water valve cover go through the floor of a Ferrari! Holy shit what a close call for that driver though - if the cover had punched the engine instead of empty air that would be a bad time

Cracked the chassis and broke the suspension!

There was a yellow flag just before the incident, the sky sports people are speculating that the cover had worked its way up and become proud after just a few laps

I don’t follow F1 really, but I spend a LOT of time in Vegas for work. The construction and setup for this race has pissed off just about every local I have spoken to, specifically I spoke to 5 different people that were near apoplexy over F1 cutting down trees in front of Bellagio. Everyone has some experience with being frustrated with construction projects that snarl traffic for months on end, but this is uniquely fucked and entertaining to watch from afar. 

Insane to me after all the money, planning, and physical work that has gone into the project, they never bothered to check if those drain covers could be a problem. Infuriating for the drivers/teams and I’m sure massively frustrating for the true fans. 

afbedfe7fd29fb8bd1e7609ad44a6690.jpg

I’m sure it’s while it sets? Unless this photo is shopped, which nowadays you never know.

I’ve seen/worked with that sort of patch job during my internship days with TxDot for ever ago, lol…so I don’t remember at what point it can be flattened a little more or what.

I don’t follow F1 really, but I spend a LOT of time in Vegas for work. The construction and setup for this race has pissed off just about every local I have spoken to, specifically I spoke to 5 different people that were near apoplexy over F1 cutting down trees in front of Bellagio. Everyone has some experience with being frustrated with construction projects that snarl traffic for months on end, but this is uniquely fucked and entertaining to watch from afar. 

Insane to me after all the money, planning, and physical work that has gone into the project, they never bothered to check if those drain covers could be a problem. Infuriating for the drivers/teams and I’m sure massively frustrating for the true fans. 

I’ve had similar feedback from locals in my last couple trips. And been caught in that construction traffic. It absolutely sucked.

I wonder if they didn’t understand downforce. It’s my understanding that those cars suck themselves to the track using the aero, and that could have pulled the cover off.

5 minutes ago, texas08 said:

afbedfe7fd29fb8bd1e7609ad44a6690.jpg

I’m sure it’s while it sets? Unless this photo is shopped, which nowadays you never know.

I’ve seen/worked with that sort of patch job during my internship days with TxDot for ever ago, lol…so I don’t remember at what point it can be flattened a little more or what.

That looks like cold lay asphalt. It can be compacted any time, but it's not going to hold up to F1 traffic. More suitable for driveway patching. That shit will fly out of there like popcorn.