Jump to content

If You Were Booking An Act...


ROFL BOX
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

You could get David Allan Coe for a handle of Jack and a handful of percocets

Last I time I saw him was about 15 years ago, and at that point they basically carried him onstage and propped him up. I can't imagine he is sentient at all these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Last I time I saw him was about 15 years ago, and at that point they basically carried him onstage and propped him up. I can't imagine he is sentient at all these days.

I saw him about 15 years before that and it was pretty much the same. It was at Papa Blakely's Softball park and the dragged him out of some piece of shit RV, and he stammered his way through what could generously be called a medley of songs between bitter rants. Quite a scene 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I saw him about 15 years before that and it was pretty much the same. It was at Papa Blakely's Softball park and the dragged him out of some piece of shit RV, and he stammered his way through what could generously be called a medley of songs between bitter rants. Quite a scene 

Sounds about right. I saw him in a bar that was a converted Kmart outside Atlanta in the 90s, and while we were drinking 85 beers waiting for him, this tall dudes wanders out with a full length purple velour cape, Flyguy from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka hat, and confederate flag painted Gibson Explorer. Starts into the worst version of Eminems The Real Slim Shady I have ever heard which segues into the worst version of Cowboys From Hell I've ever heard. Took a good 5 minutes to realize it was DAC.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tx 3 putt said:


he’s great live 

He's great live and I doubt he'd even start discussions about a solo acoustic show for $25K.

With the production costs (PA, maybe a stage, maybe a generator) it's unlikely the budget could be met beyond "big" Austin acts like Shinyribs.  At least that's the sense I'm getting.  (They're in the $10K range.)  One plus would be not having to foot the bill for lodging, which I would assume would be paid for out of the booking costs for touring acts that don't live here.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My view is that a 4,500 seat indoor venue is pretty huge, unless we're talking about something like a basketball arena.

Yeah it is. That's why my initial thought was I'm not sure what kind of act fits the bill from the original criteria. I'm definitely curious to hear though, I probably shouldn't have assumed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll guess Memorial Day weekend will have several options all with similar types of concerts., all targeting the same demographic and chasing the same dollar 

get a Bollywood show going. Dancing, singers. Those shows sell out the Toyota center. It’s an under served demographic 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, G650 said:

Led Zeppelin of course.

 

 

I think the biggest hurdle will be getting a band in that price bracket who legitimately have good enough sound reinforcement for that size venue and their own soundman to run it. Is it possibly to contract out that part to a sound reinforcement operation?

Yes. Probably cost $3K-$4K.

Gary P. Nunn would be a possibility that should fit under that price tag. Happy to put you in touch with his manager, who worked with us on our Big Texas BBQ charity event at the Cotton Bowl last May. He's a good dude who now owns 10th Street Cowboy Bar (I think that's what it's called in Bandera now).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2022 at 8:59 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

What's Lyle Lovett getting these days? You're obviously not getting him & his Large Band for that price. The last time I saw him was in support of the brilliant "The Road to Ensenada." Ridiculously great album & shows.

I would bet Lyle is $50K minimum, probably closer to $100K -- if not more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yes. Probably cost $3K-$4K.

Gary P. Nunn would be a possibility that should fit under that price tag. Happy to put you in touch with his manager, who worked with us on our Big Texas BBQ charity event at the Cotton Bowl last May. He's a good dude who now owns 10th Street Cowboy Bar (I think that's what it's called in Bandera now).

I think you were trying to reply to @ROFL BOX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, G650 said:

I think you were trying to reply to @ROFL BOX

Actually, I was replying to your comment about having a separate sound guy handle that part of it, not the band. That's how we've done it with our bbq cook-off. We have a sound engineer who provides the equipment and set-up and he's charged us around $3K-$4K the past two years. They bring the equipment and run the quickie soundchecks for each of the bands in between sets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On another note, a buddy called me one night to practice for a one-off show for a children's hospital benefit.  I only knew one dude in the group.  After we practiced our one song and everyone left, I told my buddy, "That bass player was fuckin-AWESOME".  It was the bass player from .38 Special.  

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Actually, I was replying to your comment about having a separate sound guy handle that part of it, not the band. That's how we've done it with our bbq cook-off. We have a sound engineer who provides the equipment and set-up and he's charged us around $3K-$4K the past two years. They bring the equipment and run the quickie soundchecks for each of the bands in between sets.

Yeah that is what I would typically expect, which is why I asked him if it was an option given he was requesting the acts bring their own sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m just gonna get this on the record that I think .38 Special is awesome.

Always loved them and thought they were fantastic at what they did in their time.

Hold on loosely, Rockin into the night…. Sheeeeit. That was great stuff to my ears.

Just my $.02.

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’m just gonna get this on the record that I think .38 Special is awesome.

Always loved them and thought they were fantastic at what they did in their time.

Hold on loosely, Rockin into the night…. Sheeeeit. That was great stuff to my ears.

Just my $.02.

Do you listen before or after your Boston albums.

 

I keed. Though seriously I do think the have no good songs except Second Chance which is awesome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.38 Special straddled a weird line between southern rock and late 70s FM rock.  Some of their tunes fit right in with the Boston/REO/Styx/Kansas aesthetic (particularly "Hold On Loosely"), and others were a lot closer to Lynyrd Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet.  I celebrate their entire catalog.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I have to pick one band of that ilk, it's Blackfoot all the way. I saw them about 10 or 15 years ago, during one of the shows Rickey Medlocke showed up for, and they were as heavy as any band I've ever seen as a bunch of 60 year olds. I mean Train, Train was straight thermonuclear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I quite agree but where the hell did that come from lol.

LMAO, I totally read that as you being snarky and throwing the band Train under the bus, somehow elevating them beyond Blackfoot, not that you were referencing the Blackfoot song.

delete post, ban user.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@tbone_

Check out the solo on this version.   Always reminded me of the melodic style that Gary Richrath had before Cronin ruined him.   I really think it would have been cool to hear Ben Orr sing but as far as I know, he only song on the Cars' songs.

Bass:  Ben Orr
Double Cut:  Pat Travers
Strat:  Derek St. Holmes
Explorer:  Jeff Carlisi
Drums:  Liberty DeVito

 

Ben Orr has moved to Atlanta where Carlisi had a music school for kids.  Derek St. Holmes also lives here.  They originally had the drummer from some version of Skynyrd but he left and they picked up Billy Joel's drummer.   I saw them in a couple of small clubs and outdoor festivals.   I used to run in to Derek a lot and you could not meet a more humble dude.  As over-the-top as he can be on stage, just sitting at the bar, having a cocktail, he is friendly and humble and extremely nice.   I met him when a buddy introduced me.   I asked my buddy, "I know you know his name, but do you know who he actually is?"  He didn't, and Derek just grinned real big and told my buddy, "Don't listen to this guy".  Carlisi set up a school that is like School of Rock, but it was done before that movie/school actually started up.   He books a night at a local venue and lets all of the kids play.  

They were active right up until Ben Orr died.  

 

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2022 at 12:02 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure there's ever been a bigger waste of talent than Train.  I mean, that guy can sing, he's not stupid, he can write a hook, but holy Jesus his music is just insipid.

Train makes Matchbox 20 look like The Who.

Fucking Pat is a cool enough guy, but yeah, he's not great.  Check youtube for Stern's birthday show.  Train was the house band.  Pat is so timid.  Then Steven fucking Tyler comes out with Slash and shows everybody what motherfucking ROCK STARS look like. 

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They were only together for a little over a year. I saw them the first time in summer of 99, and Ben died in the fall/winter of 2000. He played with them right up until he died.

I almost forgot about those guys. I caught this set at Music Midtown just months before he died. Great show:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/big-people/2000/downtown-atlanta-atlanta-ga-53850fd1.html
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, hullabelew said:

@tbone_

Check out the solo on this version.   Always reminded me of the melodic style that Gary Richrath had before Cronin ruined him.   I really think it would have been cool to hear Ben Orr sing but as far as I know, he only song on the Cars' songs.

Bass:  Ben Orr
Double Cut:  Pat Travers
Strat:  Derek St. Holmes
Explorer:  Jeff Carlisi
Drums:  Liberty DeVito

 

Ben Orr has moved to Atlanta where Carlisi had a music school for kids.  Derek St. Holmes also lives here.  They originally had the drummer from some version of Skynyrd but he left and they picked up Billy Joel's drummer.   I saw them in a couple of small clubs and outdoor festivals.   I used to run in to Derek a lot and you could not meet a more humble dude.  As over-the-top as he can be on stage, just sitting at the bar, having a cocktail, he is friendly and humble and extremely nice.   I met him when a buddy introduced me.   I asked my buddy, "I know you know his name, but do you know who he actually is?"  He didn't, and Derek just grinned real big and told my buddy, "Don't listen to this guy".  Carlisi set up a school that is like School of Rock, but it was done before that movie/school actually started up.   He books a night at a local venue and lets all of the kids play.  

They were active right up until Ben Orr died.  

 

Nice hidden gem there! I loved Ben Orr’s voice….cars handed the mic off to Ocasek way too much for my liking.

Cliff Davies was in Atlanta too (suicide 2008). What a machine of a drummer with nugent and st holmes 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...