2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

Turning massive dirt on the practice facility.  And saw the foundation for Augie’s bust getting its final touches.  I assume the unveiling of the actual bust will be early season.  Dreary day for baseball but got quite excited going by DFF earlier today.  Counting down the days.  Just wish they’d post the damn gametimes!!!

Edited by Lobo

23 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

So, do any of you guys who are "in the know" have any ideas about who we'll be running out there against ULaLa?

Certainly not "in the know",  but here is the starts experience from a cursory look at the '18 stats. 

Fields - 2,  Bocchi - 4,  Stevens -2,  O'Donnell - 7,  Elder - 1,  Ridgeway - 1, Henley - 16

On LHN Longhorn Extra,  Pierce stated they would be initially searching for starters by giving opportunities to all,  including the newcomers.  

My guess is Fields, Bocchi, O'Donnell will likely be the frontrunners behind Henley.    I really like Elder - think he has potential if they will be patient with him (don't pull him if he walks a guy).  I like his movement/ delivery (Parker French style).   He could be the next Parker Joe Robinson.  

19 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

Based on the fall, I believe some people had pegged Coy Cobb as a potential starter.

Did you know his great grandfather invented the Cobb salad at the Brown Derby in Southern California?  

D1 Baseball (Kendall Rogers) predicted lineup (not batting order).     Kendall visited Fall Camp and does have good rapport with the coaches.   Not sure about DH and 1B.    Alumni game 2 Feb for preview. 

Full article has details (don't have subscription).

Pos. Name, Yr. AVG/OBP/SLG HR RBI SB
C DJ Petrinsky, Sr. .257/.340/452 9 29 1
1B Zach Zubia, R-So. .275/.407/.495 11 45 1
2B Lance Ford, Fr. Freshman--Kerrville, Texas (Tivy)
3B Ryan Reynolds, Jr. .247/.351/.370 4 37 1
SS Masen Hibbeler, Sr. .261/.357/.386 4 30 13
LF Tate Shaw, Sr. .252/.355/.364 0 22 5
CF Duke Ellis, Jr. .289/.398/.353 1 27 16
RF Austin Todd, Jr. .219/.352./.301 1 13 3
DH Eric Kennedy, Fr. Freshman--Tampa (Calvary Christian)
Pos. Name, Yr. W-L ERA IP SO BB SV
RHP Blair Henley, Jr. 6-7 3.32 86.2 64 37 1
RHP Cole Quintanilla, R-Fr. DNP--Injured in 2018
RHP Matteo Bocchi, Sr. 4-1 3.05 38.1 34 21 1
RP Kamron Fields, So. 1-0 1.82 24.2 19 22 0

https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2019top-25-breakdown-no-23-texas/

• Like 1

Here's hoping Todd and Reynolds put it together at the plate this year.  Petrinsky certainly showed signs over the last third of the season.

I imagine Ellis would be the best bet to lead off, followed by Hibbeler, with Zubia either 3rd or clean up.  Need Todd to show some pop.  Do the newcomers bring any power?

3 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Here's hoping Todd and Reynolds put it together at the plate this year.  Petrinsky certainly showed signs over the last third of the season.

I imagine Ellis would be the best bet to lead off, followed by Hibbeler, with Zubia either 3rd or clean up.  Need Todd to show some pop.  Do the newcomers bring any power?

Alec Carr led the state in home runs as a junior.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:33 PM, Fletch said:

0d3af68c53cb4734a0327ebcb8ba8e34.jpg

Saw this in the paper yesterday.  Huston's uncle, Sewell Street, and James' brother passed away here in Austin this past Monday.  Sewell pitched for one of the St.Louis Cardinal's minor league teams.  Not sure if he ever got into the big leagues.  I met him at a little league baseball practice when he came to watch James practice and pitch many years ago.  His obit is linked below:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=joseph-sewell-earl-street&pid=191334109

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can’t take another season of zero offense from 1b. Please, somebody take the job from McCann. 

Zubia actually learning to play the position would be ideal. One of Ford/Reagan isn’t going to get a spot so it would be nice to slide one of them into the DH spot, not to mention that we have a surplus of outfielders.