2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

All 3 of those guys will be there come October. Sevy is as talented a pitcher as there is, Tanaka turns it up in crunch time, and you can never count out veteran presents. And Cashman isn’t done making moves, genius. He’ll get another starter before the playoffs. Granted the trade market for starters is embarrassingly bad this year but he’ll find a serviceable one.

b6bcbd0247ddf732a91aae3d4256fde6.jpg

85408fd842b013540447dbd27c2e9620.jpg

7ef2a4ea28f1c931a5014fbe2c611bc8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

All 3 of those guys will be there come October. Sevy is as talented a pitcher as there is, Tanaka turns it up in crunch time, and you can never count out veteran presents. And Cashman isn’t done making moves, genius. He’ll get another starter before the playoffs. Granted the trade market for starters is embarrassingly bad this year but he’ll find a serviceable one.

Sevy will be pitching in the wild card game, and then if you win that you get to go up against boston or houston with Tanaka and CC starting on the road. Good luck.

18 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Sevy will be pitching in the wild card game, and then if you win that you get to go up against boston or houston with Tanaka and CC starting on the road. Good luck.

The Yankees have owned Houston & Boston this year. It’s the fluky one game wild card anything can happen shit that is concerning if it gets to that.

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

God I love everything about this team except staying up past midnight to watch their inevitable comebacks. That and the fact we're somehow still only third in the division.

BP has Oakland at a 50% chance to make the playoffs; Mariners at 42%. 

All respect to MC Fresh Breath, but this A's team is fucking fun right now. 

Also, the NL WC race could be a doozy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

An OBP greater than SLG is something special.

Someone wrote an article about this last week.  IIRC, DD is the first guy to do it in several years.  It used to happen more often.  It motivated me to look up Lance Blankenship.

Tocci is awful but he really should be in AA. The rangers for whatever reason want to see what he becomes in 2-3 years, but they have to keep at MLB level cause of the whole rule 5 thing. 

I cant recall the last time a team purposely kept someone so bad at the MLB level just because he was a rule 5 pick. Any others?

53 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

DD is a 4th/5th OF on a decent MLB team, but Tocci is a joke.  Shows how incredibly thin the Rangers are that they are dead set on keeping that dude around.  

I looked up Tocci and he's at .143/.234/.190 so now I see you're point.  I didn't get why you would be upset about DDJ being sent down but...yikes.

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

The Yankees have owned Houston & Boston this year. It’s the fluky one game wild card anything can happen shit that is concerning if it gets to that.

yes, regular season means totally everything all the time awesome.

the real question is whether aaron boone has the stones to start tanaka in the wc game, knowing full well he won't win the alds without severino going twice.

with the trade deadline coming up, i thought this was an interesting read (not sure if posted) on the most valuable contracts in mlb:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-trade-value-1-to-10/

looks like the top al teams are gonna be on top for a while, considering most of the top 10 comes from the 4 best teams in the league.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Depends on how he conducts himself, but Boston expects a maestro performance and thinks they can get The Four Seasons out of Eovaldi.

I assume this is a really good joke that went over my head because I'm a cultural boob?

if they were smart, they would go ahead and trade degrom.  they'd get a really nice return and he likely won't pitch a single important game for the mets ever.  i hope they don't, because he'll end up going to the red sox, yankees, or dodgers, but that's gotta be the move.  no reason to keep him.  although they're the mets, so they likely don't consider reasons when making decisions.

It’s an example of why you shouldn’t build your team around young pitching. Sure you might make a good run for a season or 2, but long term it’s a poor strategy. Pitchers are more apt to get hurt or stop performing. Meanwhile the Cubs, Astros, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc. built around young hitters and are all well positioned for multi-year success. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

if they were smart, they would go ahead and trade degrom.  they'd get a really nice return and he likely won't pitch a single important game for the mets ever.  i hope they don't, because he'll end up going to the red sox, yankees, or dodgers, but that's gotta be the move.  no reason to keep him.  although they're the mets, so they likely don't consider reasons when making decisions.

I think the problem with trading him is that they won't be able to get the value they think he is worth from any team. You look at what the Yankees got for both Miller and Chapman, and Degrom is worth the package for both combined. Or what the Cubs gave up for Quintana and have to double it. Its just too hard to find a match to even make the trade. 

The New York Yankees have acquired former All-Star reliever Zach Britton from the Baltimore Orioles for three minor league pitchers in a trade announced Tuesday night.

The deal sends right-handed starter Dillon Tate, left-handed starter Josh Rogers and righty reliever Cody Carroll to Baltimore.

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

It’s an example of why you shouldn’t build your team around young pitching. Sure you might make a good run for a season or 2, but long term it’s a poor strategy. Pitchers are more apt to get hurt or stop performing. Meanwhile the Cubs, Astros, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc. built around young hitters and are all well positioned for multi-year success. 

That doesn’t even make sense especially when that starting pitching is on team friendly contracts. The Mets have done a horrible job with free agents and the draft. They should have been able to put a team around that staff and then they could weather the injuries that inevitably came up.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, spystud13 said:

Can’t remember if I posted this last week, but the “Only in Hollywood” episode that replays on MLB Net @ 9:00 tonight is worth a record. 

Thank you for the heads up.

Holy shit that was great.