2023 Texas High School Football

2 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

It's El Maton. El Maton is Spanish for the killer (or the bully...I guess context matters... however, in the case of the town, is the killer).

That's what I always thought, but...

This is confusing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmaton,_Texas#

I also found this: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/elmaton-tx

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That's what I always thought, but...

This is confusing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmaton,_Texas#

I also found this: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/elmaton-tx

I'm from there, bub... it's El Maton.

https://www.usgenwebsites.org/TXMatagorda/elmaton_info.htm

Edited by Lou_Sassle

3 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

I'm from there, bub... it's El Maton.

https://www.usgenwebsites.org/TXMatagorda/elmaton_info.htm

Yeah, I brought it up because I figured you would know.

Curious if Elmaton was a failed attempt to anglicize it for whatever reason...

"El Maton" just sounds South Texas; Elmaton sounds like it could be in Minnesota.

• Hook 'Em 1

Look for Brownsville to come out throwing it. PSJAN went into that game thinking run all the way and had no answer for when vets started chucking it around. Their QB Montoya has an arm kind of, and they have a very good WR in Gerry Gomez. Their TE Nick Tovar is huge and they’ll probably try to get him involved. 

They’re also a triple option team though, so you’ll probably see a lot of fumbled exchanges. They had 4 turnovers vs Miller and survived somehow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

You are correct. Aledo is much better than last year.

All their offensive skill positions from last year returned except WR Jalen Pope. Then they added Soph RB Ray Guillroy(sp?) and Kadon Finley became a starter and big contributor as a Sophomore WR.

Defensively they returned backfield starters except 1 safety and 1 LB.

I truly think next year will be the true test for how the program will stand after Buch and Wood’s departure. They are losing a lot due to graduation class of ‘24. If they’re 6A that district winning streak will be in jeopardy depending on where they land. Geographically I assume they’d land with North Crowley, Boswell, and Weatherford.

• Drool 1

Also, driving to Midlothian tomorrow night is going to be BALLS. if you’re coming from the West you’re driving in to the teeth of the construction that starts at 20/Witchita and doesn’t end until you’re fully on 287S. I’ll be looking for another route.

52 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

It's El Maton. El Maton is Spanish for the killer (or the bully...I guess context matters... however, in the case of the town, is the killer).

Absolutely in the middle of freaking nowhere...I can't imagine how there are even the 260 kids that go to that school within 25 miles of it. But they have been beating the living shit out of people 

Also, driving to Midlothian tomorrow night is going to be BALLS. if you’re coming from the West you’re driving in to the teeth of the construction that starts at 20/Witchita and doesn’t end until you’re fully on 287S. I’ll be looking for another route.

As someone that has to drive 20 entirely too often, if I were coming from Aledo area I would take 1187 all the way to 287 in Mansfield. That 820/297/20 interchange is an absolute shitshow of epic proportions
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Absolutely in the middle of freaking nowhere...I can't imagine how there are even the 260 kids that go to that school within 25 miles of it. But they have been beating the living shit out of people 

It's not just El Maton that comprises of Tidehaven. There's several small towns within Matagorda County that comprise of the school district. There's Blessing (pop. about 1000), Markham (also about 1000), Buckeye, Francitas, Clemville, Midfield (named that because it's about the midway point between Palacios, Bay City, El Campo and Edna) and Wilson Creek.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Galena Park North Shore (14-0) vs. Austin Westlake (14-0), 2 p.m. Saturday at Pflugerville's The Pfield
The rubber match of the third-time-in-4-years matchup!  NS just always seems to find a way to win, while Westlake’s way to win is always running little Jack Keyser and playing sound defense.  Westlake seems to have decided that their soph QB is better than the experienced one, but the bad news is that he’s not that good.  Meanwhile, NS QB Kaleb Bailey is a dude who can win games for you, and I think that gives them the significant edge.  

Okay, now you've triggered me again.

It's been a year since that event occurred. FYI, we DEFEATED North Shore last year and we will defeat them again. I know we did, because I was at the game, and I saw it with my own eyes! Why doesn't anyone ever believe me? And then there was that unfortunate incident where I went to JerryWorld and our team and fans never showed up, except for me. That made me really angry and feeling betrayed. And during that ugly little scene with the police (which was completely uncalled for, btw, I only struck the officers in self-defense), I realized what was really going on. It was all about keeping me down. That's what this is all about. They sense my power, and they want to defeat me because they know that only I can keep them from controlling us all. You will see and then I will triumph. 

• Prepare your anus 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

14 miles from Bay City. 17 to Palacios.

Your definition of isolation is way the fuck different from mine.

BTW.  Tolar has punched their ticket to JerryWorld.  Albany is most likely going in 2A-DII with a 27-14 lead over Sunray in the 4th.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Seems crazy that Tidehaven is 3A and Refugio is 2A.

The Brock-Malakoff game was amazing.   Brock jumped on them right away and had them on the ropes.  They got a pick-6 opening possession to make it 10-0 and were easily driving when they fumbled and Malakoff ran it back for a TD.  Malakoff's QB ran one 52 yards for a TD, and that was literally almost their whole offense for the game.  But Brock had a punt blocked inside their own 10 and then after a FG, had the ensuing kickoff stripped and run in for a TD to give Malakoff a 31-24 lead.  Brock tied it, but with 1:29 left, the Malakoff NT grabbed an INT (fumble?) and ran it back to the 14.  Malakoff punched it in a minute later for the win.  

Brock has to just be sick about it.  They dominated play, but (at least?) 4 turnovers and blocked punt gave the game away.

Ganado was up 21-7 on Timpson, but Bussey scored 4 TDs in a row for the win.

Daingerfield nearly pulled out a miracle with a flea flicker Hail Mary on the last play of regulation:

That's Dobbs #5, and I think Hampton threw the pass.  Daingerfield kind of contained Dobbs from what I saw, but Tidehaven's QB really stepped up and made plays.  Tidehaven is going to state for the first time since 1980, when they tied Pilot Point 0-0.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Tidehaven won in OT 20-14.  We were just leaving for the game and got called off.  Old time family friend suffered a med emergency and we went to hospital.

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The Brock-Malakoff game was amazing.   Brock jumped on them right away and had them on the ropes.  They got a pick-6 opening possession to make it 10-0 and were easily driving when they fumbled and Malakoff ran it back for a TD.  Malakoff's QB ran one 52 yards for a TD, and that was literally almost their whole offense for the game.  But Brock had a punt blocked inside their own 10 and then after a FG, had the ensuing kickoff stripped and run in for a TD to give Malakoff a 31-24 lead.  Brock tied it, but with 1:29 left, the Malakoff NT grabbed an INT (fumble?) and ran it back to the 14.  Malakoff punched it in a minute later for the win.  

Brock has to just be sick about it.  They dominated play, but (at least?) 4 turnovers and blocked punt gave the game away.

Ganado was up 21-7 on Timpson, but Bussey scored 4 TDs in a row for the win.

Daingerfield nearly pulled out a miracle with a flea flicker Hail Mary on the last play of regulation:

That's Dobbs #5, and I think Hampton threw the pass.  Daingerfield kind of contained Dobbs from what I saw, but Tidehaven's QB really stepped up and made plays.  Tidehaven is going to state for the first time since 1980, when they tied Pilot Point 0-0.  

Little known fact from 1980 about Bay City 4A, Van Vleck 3A, and Tidehaven 2A football teams.  All of them are from Matagorda County.  Bay City lost in the Semi's the week before the state games.  VV would go on to lose to Pittsburg and Tidehaven would tie with Pilot Point.  Not bad for a bunch of country kids.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

Rough week for the town of Edna. 16yo cheerleader found murdered in her bedroom on Tuesday 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/amp/edna-high-school-cheerleader-killed-student-death-investigation-teen-found-dead-in-home/14151732/

Football season ended last night 52-14 at the hands of Franklin

Man that is awful.  The needle is too good for whatever piece of shit did that

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

Rough week for the town of Edna. 16yo cheerleader found murdered in her bedroom on Tuesday 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/amp/edna-high-school-cheerleader-killed-student-death-investigation-teen-found-dead-in-home/14151732/

What a nightmare. That poor girl. Most murders are done by someone who knows the victim.

"As of Thursday, they haven't released details about Lizbeth's manner of death and whether there are any suspects in the case."

Considering that this a small town, I am sure they already know who did this.

On 12/7/2023 at 11:38 AM, Boss Hogg said:

Davenport is from the area in 4A D1. No clue about their opponent Tyler Chapel Hill other than they beat favored Kilgore. Looking forward to it. 

Speaking of, never been to McLane stadium in Waco. Any good places to eat close by that won't take forever before the game?

I have a fairly decent amount of familiarity with that part of the state and Chapel Hill will match up athletically and be better in more spots than Davenport is used to. I will still take the Wolves by 7-10, but the score is going to be 40 plus for each team if the Wolves do not limit the ground game. If Davenport had more size up front I would take them by two TD’s, but the lack of size makes things very hard on them defensively.

19 minutes ago, Burt said:

Damn, I know I've been gone from Texas for a long time, but Dripping Springs is 6A (which didn't even exist the last time I lived there)??  I think they were still 2A when I left.

My fr/so year of HS Hutto was 2a, my jr/sr year they were in our district, the year or so after I graduated they were 4a.

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Football season ended last night 52-14 at the hands of Franklin

I saw that also about the cheerleader.  Sad news, I'll bet this doesn't stay unsolved very long.  There aren't many places to hide there.

Edna, Tx home to Stone Cold Steve Austin.  

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My fr/so year of HS Hutto was 2a, my jr/sr year they were in our district, the year or so after I graduated they were 4a.

Just curious, but is that around the time the UIL started the 6A classification?

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Damn, I know I've been gone from Texas for a long time, but Dripping Springs is 6A (which didn't even exist the last time I lived there)??  I think they were still 2A when I left.

When I moved to Wimberley in '99, our big rivals were Dripping and Lake Travis.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, slorch said:

14 miles from Bay City. 17 to Palacios.

Your definition of isolation is way the fuck different from mine.

BTW.  Tolar has punched their ticket to JerryWorld.  Albany is most likely going in 2A-DII with a 27-14 lead over Sunray in the 4th.

We both probably have far different definitions of middle of nowhere. I lived once before in the middle of nowhere, but it was a blast to me to get to do it where I was. Most of West Texas can also be classified as that with the sparseness of people. 

28 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Will the alignments and districts be posted soon?

Not officially until February.   I like the sneak peeks, but that was always a fun sports day perusing both the districts and who dropped or barely got pushed into the next bigger classification.

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

Not officially until February.   I like the sneak peeks, but that was always a fun sports day perusing both the districts and who dropped or barely got pushed into the next bigger classification.

There are going to be teams petitioning to be bumped down too or is all that over by now?

13 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

There are going to be teams petitioning to be bumped down too or is all that over by now?

You can only petition to go up an class, usually for geography reasons or from 6-man to 2A.   Sometimes schools will have a beef with their actual District and request to be moved to a different one.  That one isn’t granted very often. 

Can’t remember anyone ever getting moved down, or everyone just above  the cutoff would be making that change.

Edited by slorch

You can only petition to go up an class, usually for geography reasons or from 6-man to 2A.   Sometimes schools will have a beef with their actual District and request to be moved to a different one.  That one isn’t granted very often. 

Can’t remember anyone ever getting moved down, or everyone just above  the cutoff would be making that change.
How easy is it to fudge the enrollment numbers to move down or not move up a classification?