Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

In case anyone is wondering, the staff is yearning, YEARNING for one more guard of high quality to enter the portal. Every day that goes by makes that look less likely. Holland really fucked them with his bullshit. Fuck that guy and his team.

Bigger guy?  Other than being a little undersized (which isn’t a big deal in college outside of a few matchups then can become a killer) feels like they are ok. 

In case anyone is wondering, the staff is yearning, YEARNING for one more guard of high quality to enter the portal. Every day that goes by makes that look less likely. Holland really fucked them with his bullshit. Fuck that guy and his team.

Fucking Duncanville. It’s a complete swamp.

Once you realize that, it’s not so surprising.

19 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Fucking Duncanville. It’s a complete swamp.

Once you realize that, it’s not so surprising.

Not sure how Holland stiffing us affects needing a guard.  Can someone explain that to me?

Edited by cochamps

Just now, closetojumping said:

The other guy then. Whichever one is the guard, fuck that guy. But fuck Holland too.

Yeah, Arterio Morris was the guard from Kimball.  Holland is more of an inside player.  But you are correct: fuck those guys.

11 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Yeah, Arterio Morris was the guard from Kimball.  Holland is more of an inside player.  But you are correct: fuck those guys.

He's talking about AJ Johnson, presumably 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's talking about AJ Johnson, presumably 

Yeah, that's who I meant. I was too lazy to look it up and Holland's name was ready in my head.

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

With only 3 guards on the roster, they just need to add the best player available whether it’s a bigger wing, a PG, whatever.   Our front court players aren’t ball handlers, so just one injury to a guard puts us in a tight spot with the current roster.  

Ideally we’d add two more guards.  There are real minutes to be had for one more, and then the second could just be a less heralded rental for depth (and so people stop including Perryman in their projections of our rotation). 

They are hoping for a legitimate playmaker and there are apparently a few targets but it doesn't sound like it's looking good right now. That could still change though. They'll take a guy that can eat some minutes if they have to do so.

On 6/13/2023 at 10:17 AM, closetojumping said:

https://247sports.com/player/chris-johnson-46104194/

Not sure if you were alluding to anyone or just in general, but here’s your available guard. Good size, meh shooter. Definitely not replacing Holland’s scoring volume. 

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

From ON3's top 150 update article re: Nic Codie

https://www.on3.com/news/spring-live-evaluations-lead-up-to-a-2024-on3-150-update/

Nic Codie is a 6-foot-8 forward who carries a 7-foot-2 wing span. That frame naturally intrigues when attached to a 16-year-old. He is also the son of former Pittsburgh Steeler safety Nakia Codie. The No. 39 player in the 2024 On3 150 update is excellent in the paint with a quick release off the catch. He can also knock down threes and affect the play on the defensive end. The upside here is very intriguing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

Keenan Womack basically told me on Twitter that he was coming. Nice to get some actual HS talent that we can develop. Maybe RT won't run him off after two months like he did Tyson. 

Tyson transferred from us a year before Beard got arrested.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NTVTXN said:

One of these things is not like the others.
Someone pls help me understand UW.  They didn’t even make the tournament last year. 
NIL? Old HS or AAU Coach on the staff?

No idea if this has any connection, but they're an Adidas school now. That's always a red flag to me when something is out of sorts. However, there's probably some personal connection.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

No idea if this has any connection, but they're an Adidas school now. That's always a red flag to me when something is out of sorts. However, there's probably some personal connection.

Was Johnson on an Adidas AAU team?

Arkansas fans don't think it's them due to have like 5-6 guards on their roster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Great point and one that I actually should’ve thought of, as I’ve been in the athletic footwear industry my entire career.😅

I have no idea what the kid’s AAU Team wears, Adi, Nike, UA, etc…but this is as viable a reason as any for UDub to be included. We all know money talks.

8 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

One of these things is not like the others.
Someone pls help me understand UW.  They didn’t even make the tournament last year. 
NIL? Old HS or AAU Coach on the staff?

They just added Larry Brown to staff. Rep and one of the biggest cheats in college basketball.

So there's your answer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Chris Jonson is choosing between Texas/Arkansas who are rumored to have big-time NIL foundations in place and Washington who just added Larry Brown historically known for buying players. 

It's pretty obvious what's winning this recruitment.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 

That can't be.  His original pick was KU, uh, never mind.

• Haha 1