NCAA Clock-Rule Proposals

BurntOrange&White

If these things do nothing to reduce the time of the game then why on average are NFL games shorter? You sound like a boomer bitching about the pitch clock in baseball. 

Where did I say letting a clock run after first downs wouldn’t reduce the game time?

NFL has a shorter halftime. I don’t know for certain but I’d guess the NFL has shorter TV timeouts.

The NFL has fewer opportunities for replays.

I don’t need college to be like the NFL. I don’t even need the NFL games to be over in 3 hours. And I’d think less so if I took advantage of the privilege to spend thousands to attend in person.

The pitch count is a terrible example. It shortens the game by condensing the action not reducing the action.

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Where did I say letting a clock run after first downs wouldn’t reduce the game time?

NFL has a shorter halftime. I don’t know for certain but I’d guess the NFL has shorter TV timeouts.

The NFL has fewer opportunities for replays.

I don’t need college to be like the NFL. I don’t even need the NFL games to be over in 3 hours. And I’d think less so if I took advantage of the privilege to spend thousands to attend in person.

The pitch count is a terrible example. It shortens the game by condensing the action not reducing the action.

Here you go dumbass but carry on about it  

https://theathletic.com/3620084/2022/09/23/college-football-games-times/

• 1 month later...
Less football is never a good idea.
The college game pace is awful. This was a step in the right direction. No need for a clock stoppage after every first down.

But this is only a small piece of the slow pace. Go to the NFL way of challenges. The fact every single play can be reviewed is ridiculous. And there's no time limit on these reviews.

We aren't getting more actual football with college games. Just a ton of commercials and game stoppage.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

The college game pace is awful. This was a step in the right direction. No need for a clock stoppage after every first down.

But this is only a small piece of the slow pace. Go to the NFL way of challenges. The fact every single play can be reviewed is ridiculous. And there's no time limit on these reviews.

We aren't getting more actual football with college games. Just a ton of commercials and game stoppage.

I agree but these rules will mean less plays which means less football.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Go to the NFL way of challenges. The fact every single play can be reviewed is ridiculous. And there's no time limit on these reviews.

It should start and end here.  No need to tweak the actual playing rules...just fix the damn replay rules and you will shave a half hour off of the games.

• Like 1

Reviewing more than the NFL isn’t the issue, it’s the manner in which they are reviewed.

The vast majority of reviews should be resolved by someone in a both in less than 30 seconds. It’s honestly not that difficult 95% of the team but it somehow seems to take endless amounts of time no matter how straightforward the review should be.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fico said:

Reviewing more than the NFL isn’t the issue, it’s the manner in which they are reviewed.

The vast majority of reviews should be resolved by someone in a both in less than 30 seconds. It’s honestly not that difficult 95% of the team but it somehow seems to take endless amounts of time no matter how straightforward the review should be.

I will never understand why the ref on the field has to review the play. There should be a ref in the booth that can message down to the field and say, "Y'all got that pass completion wrong. The receiver's foot was on the line." Nice and easy and move onto the next play.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Funny how the majority of people complaining about the length of games are the working media.

I know there are some fans that complain too but I could not care less about the time it takes to play a football game.

if it is compelling I am all in.

To be fair those extra long games also make for a miserable in stadium experience. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, BB65 said:

Cut out some fucking commercials and the games will get shorter. 

my guess is the games will not get shorter because the networks will add more commercials. Not less time just less plays

They want them to fit within the time frame because advertisers lose money when they don’t. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

180 plays per game in college vs 155 in the NFL, so you are incorrect. 
The gap will close, unfortunately. The college game gets even more like the NFL.
How many of those extra plays are because of incomplete passes because the QBs aren't efficient and all the out of bounds rules with with the clock.

NFL is a much more efficient, pretty game to watch. College just drags on and on. Yes you might get more plays but that's a result of the rules and poor play.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

How many of those extra plays are because of incomplete passes because the QBs aren't efficient and all the out of bounds rules with with the clock.

NFL is a much more efficient, pretty game to watch. College just drags on and on. Yes you might get more plays but that's a result of the rules and poor play.

You're moving the goalpost to defend the NFL game, which you prefer.  Good for you.

I think the NFL sucks in comparison to college football and I despair that the college game is moving itself to be more like the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

You're moving the goalpost to defend the NFL game, which you prefer.  Good for you.

I think the NFL sucks in comparison to college football and I despair that the college game is moving itself to be more like the NFL.

Because the clock stops on first downs? Weird.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:29 PM, Vic Mackey said:

At least the college game has multiple types of offenses compared to the NFL where every team's offense is the same.

On 4/22/2023 at 11:50 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Why does NFL suck to you exactly? I'd wager it has zero to do with the time clock. Objectively, the NFL pace of play and game flow from a broadcast perspective is superior to college.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• 4 months later...

I know I'm beating a dead horse, and I've said this eleventy-two times.

The only change we needed to stop the 4 hour games was to CHANGE THE DAMN INSTANT REPLAY RULES.  College football's biggest waste of time is instant replay.  Adopt the NFL replay rules verbatim and you fix everything.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:24 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

I will never understand why the ref on the field has to review the play. There should be a ref in the booth that can message down to the field and say, "Y'all got that pass completion wrong. The receiver's foot was on the line." Nice and easy and move onto the next play.

The ref on the field has never reviewed plays in college.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Which makes the length of the reviews even crazier

thats because the fucking review team are doing everything in their fucking power to find the most obscure variation and 3rd party view on every fucking reviewed play,  resulting in complete non-sensical overturns or, even better, letting a play stand pat.

My fav issue is unless its a reviewable option, if the fucking reviewers do spot something completely wrong (not counting PI here), they arent allowed to just solve the fucking problem by pointing out that #12 facemaked a guy, or horsecollared a guy, or something similar.   and thats how we end up getting the bullshit no safety penalty v Bama last year. 

of course my all-time fav review overturn was the OK State fucking in 2016 when their QB fumbled the ball, fell to the turf, trying to recover it, and managed to touch it with his left hand, while 4 longhorns (and no other OKSt) jumped on the ball immediately afterwards, and the review cunt claimed that somehow touching a fumbled ball for a fucking millisecond constituted posession, giving the ball back to those cunts.   never in the history of ever has that play been anything other than a clear fucking fumble, otherwise the moment anyone touches a fumble while on the ground themselves it would be a dead ball... and that is not the fucking rule. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

of course my all-time fav review overturn was the OK State fucking in 2016 when their QB fumbled the ball, fell to the turf, trying to recover it, and managed to touch it with his left hand, while 4 longhorns (and no other OKSt) jumped on the ball immediately afterwards, and the review cunt claimed that somehow touching a fumbled ball for a fucking millisecond constituted posession, giving the ball back to those cunts.   never in the history of ever has that play been anything other than a clear fucking fumble, otherwise the moment anyone touches a fumble while on the ground themselves it would be a dead ball... and that is not the fucking rule. 

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

Yeah, I can’t help but think there will be fewer comebacks now.

Heard ol Bobby Burton say that thus far there’s a 7% reduction in plays. Yet somehow I didn’t get a 7% reduction in ticket prices.

They should have tried creative advertising and efficient replay reviews first. If that didn’t work, then move to other options. There’s a number of things they could have done to save 15-20 minutes per game.

22 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah, I can’t help but think there will be fewer comebacks now.  Heard ol Bobby Burton say that thus far there’s a 7% reduction in plays. Yet somehow I didn’t get a 7% reduction in ticket prices. They should have tried creative advertising and efficient replay reviews first. If that didn’t work, then move to other options. There’s a number of things they could have done to save 15-20 minutes per game.

Yeah, read one discussion that says 2 to 3 possessions are gonna be lost per game with these new rules.

Adjust it to last 5 minutes of each half clock stops on first downs...

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I thought about it when gata was down by 21pts early in 4th qtr.   Under old rules where clocked stopped on 1st downs, we saw some teams come back to win last season.

Under new rules, it's gonna be a lot more difficult for large late game comebacks like that...

I'm only quoting you only because it's the most recent example of what I seem to keep hearing and seeing about 4th quarter comebacks down 21. I don't have any issue with your post, it is obviously true. I'm curious, and haven't been able to find the information, about how many 21+ point 4th quarter comebacks happen each season. I'm sure it happens and it's exciting. I'm also sure a lot of 21 point fourth quarter leads turn into 35 point wins that take forever to end. 

Hopefully, someone with better search skills than me can find some numbers on 21+ point 4th quarter comebacks to add some context. I haven't formed an opinion on the issue yet. But, it seems like there might be more "close" games due to fewer possessions. I'm not sure I'm going to mind more 31-21 games replacing some 56-21 games. Last night I didn't feel like I needed to see more Utah-UF or god forbid more offensive snaps from Nebraska or Minnesota.

• Haha 1

21-pt comebacks in the 4Q are maybe 1-2 per season.  You have basically 3 good possessions each team in the 4Q with maybe a 4th panic-mode possession, and a good enough running team can take one of those away.  So it takes perfect play or multiple big plays (turnover/onsides/ST score) to pull off.

Edited by JBJ