NCAA Clock-Rule Proposals

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So I got the hashmarks backwards, of all the differences, this one makes the least sense. What is it about the college game that requires less room to the sideline? The rest have their reasons for either, I just wish they would agree. I tend to prefer the college rule on pass interference, but I get why some might want a spot foul to prevent DBs from just tackling a guy once their beat to avoid the longer penalty. Down without contact, yeah why not? Defenses are supposed to make tackles not rely on turf monsters. The catch/no catch problem exists in both leagues, tinkering with the wording of rules hasn't seemed to make any difference. It's the same game, why such different rules?

It’s not the same game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, WBT said:

I wish they'd eliminate replay altogether in all sports.  The juice has never been worth the squeeze to me.  Bastardized compromise systems like the nfl where "the most important thing is we get it right" except only on some plays and not on others are the worst to me.

They won't, but replay ruins the game. Covering high school, it's great, cause a team scores a touchdown, no flag, everybody goes nuts cause it's a touchdown. College or pros, score a touchdown, wait for four minutes, then celebrate. 

17 hours ago, Treefidy said:

The icing the kicker rule in no way reduces the number of plays or makes it safer for the players.  Shorten a game by 1 minute for sure.  Does not affect the play clock or play count in any way.  

The icing the kicker rule is less about actually shortening the game, but about the perception of the game being longer. Kickers usually get iced on big kicks at the end of the game. It annoys people because they think they're going to see the play, and then, wham, wait a few minutes. It would be like watching a movie, and right at the climax, the movie stops for two minutes, and you just have to wait to see the end, for no particular reason. 

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

If all 4 pass it will make time outs more valuable. 
Probably take some of the 5yd penalties for delay of game rather than taking the TO.  
It will make the last drive to win the game harder with clock running on incompletions.  But as mentioned before it will be interesting to see how they deal with clocking the ball. 

Having the clock run on passing plays would tilt the game and change strategy dramatically. Currently, if the team with the lead has the ball, they have to strategically decide to run or pass. If the clock continues to run on passes, that important decision no longer matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

The icing the kicker rule is less about actually shortening the game, but about the perception of the game being longer. Kickers usually get iced on big kicks at the end of the game. It annoys people because they think they're going to see the play, and then, wham, wait a few minutes. It would be like watching a movie, and right at the climax, the movie stops for two minutes, and you just have to wait to see the end, for no particular reason. 

What you're describing sounds like edging.

Not all people are annoyed by that. There's at least some segment of America that's into it...... according to a friend of mine.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It’s not the same game. 

Exactly.  Some of us like the distinction between college football and the NFL...what little is left.

It's bad enough the schools are trying to ruin what makes college football distinct from the NFL (jumbotrons, commercials, less band playing and more canned music, etc.), let's not change some of the rules that also provide a uniqueness.  With the NIL and the Transfer Portal dramatically changing the makeup of the teams from one year to the next, the distinction in the rules is all we have left of the college football that we preferred over the NFL.

The only NFL thing I want the NCAA to adopt is the replay rules.  That's it.  

Why don't we have a 15 minute running clock for each quarter. No clock stopping for anything. Injuries included.

Commercials would mostly be split screen commercials during the pauses in the action like huddles, small injuries, or reviews.

For major injuries, turnovers, after a score, turnovers on down, and at half time you can have full commercials.

Then at the discretion of the head ref, a certain amount of 'extra time' can be added to each quarter. It'll mostly be like 5-7 minutes. Hell, maybe you start counting up from 0 instead of that counting down from 15 stuff.

We might be able to knock out a game in under 2 hrs if we're lucky.

Considering this is about speeding up the game and not about the final product, I can't see a better solution.

It's not like current fans enjoy the game they're watching. They just need to fill that inconvenient time between the last day of the work week and NFL Sunday.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Exactly.  Some of us like the distinction between college football and the NFL...what little is left.

It's bad enough the schools are trying to ruin what makes college football distinct from the NFL (jumbotrons, commercials, less band playing and more canned music, etc.), let's not change some of the rules that also provide a uniqueness.  With the NIL and the Transfer Portal dramatically changing the makeup of the teams from one year to the next, the distinction in the rules is all we have left of the college football that we preferred over the NFL.

The only NFL thing I want the NCAA to adopt is the replay rules.  That's it.  

Free agency is what turned me off from the NFL (the strikes didn’t help). 

i have no problem with the players getting paid, I just couldn’t have imagined Staubach or Randy white playing for any other team.  

Dorsett going to Denver and Earl going to New Orleans were just wrong.   I would like to see transfer rules in college get scaled back but it’s not a 1:1 with free agency because college is so transient.  Players “careers” are only 3-5 years (except for guys named weeden or Martinez, or 5’3” RBs at Kansas state)  so you get used to the churn.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:26 AM, Uncle Nate said:

I'm talking number of plays, not necessarily length.

Worst thing about college football right now is the amount of time they spend reviewing plays.  I would like to see college football adopt the NFL's rules for reviewing plays instead of having the replay official buzz down whenever they feel like they need to interject themselves into the game.

Seriously. Put a time limit on reviews. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

i have no problem with the players getting paid, I just couldn’t have imagined Staubach or Randy white playing for any other team.  
Dorsett going to Denver and Earl going to New Orleans were just wrong.   I would like to see transfer rules in college get scaled back but it’s not a 1:1 with free agency because college is so transient.  Players “careers” are only 3-5 years (except for guys named weeden or Martinez, or 5’3” RBs at Kansas state)  so you get used to the churn.  

I don’t understand anyone thinking it’s a good thing for players to be chained to the whims of a team. Free agency is good for players and the league and the fans as it’s combined with a salary cap and slotted rookie cap.

Back then you had one way to fix your team : the draft. If you team sucked it could take years to fix a team. If you were an unfortunate fan of those teams you had little hope.

Free agency has led to a 12 month league. For us nFL geeks, we now have franchise tags started today. Next we have free agency then the draft then udfas, then OTAs and preseason. All of it controlled by the cap and manipulating the numbers to gain space, and using talent to add picks. What would I do vs what Jerry and Stephen will do? Either I applaud it or spew nails.

Free agency is less about the few big names that hit FA each year and more about the midtier players who have more say about their careers for the short time most play. Big names get big extensions, franchise tags, to stay with their original teams or they go to the open market or get traded.
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, bullet said:

The NFL does have untimed downs in the 1st and 3rd quarters, doesn't it?

If so, I don't see why the NCAA would change for something that happens so infrequently.

Because you have to pull shit out of your ass when you refuse to tackle the two biggest drivers for long games:

The ridiculous amount of tv time outs.

And the ungodly amount of time Refs take to review plays, on a tiny iPhone size TV, and a lot of time for plays that don’t matter.

Address those two things and the pace gets better without making the game different. But oh well. Better to make meaningless changes and / or the nature of the game rather than common sense solutions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

[1] Icing. Calling a single defensive time-out before a game-changing, end-of-half, longer-than-34-yard FG attempt has been found to decrease the likelihood of making the attempt. The new rule would only limit multiple TOs, which to my knowledge have not been shown to make any greater difference. I hate waiting for the end of a game when I know there is only a snap and kick remaining. This rule would not significantly reduce number of snaps or injuries, but it has little evidence to suggest it makes trouble, and I would certainly not cry if it were implemented.

[2] Untimed Downs. Removing the rare untimed down to end and odd-numbered quarter will do little to shorten the average game. It would likewise not necessarily affect the game negatively. Play could continue in the following quarter with the appropriate penalty applied. This doesn't remove any particular pet peeve of mine, but neither does it bother me.

[3] 1st Down Clock. This rule would significantly change the feel of CFB, shorten games, and reduce plays. Playing less football results in fewer football-related injuries. And in less football-watching enjoyment. Keeping the old rule in place in the final 2 minutes of halves preserves the greater comeback score potential of college ball somewhat. I am not a fan of the need to move the clock along, but I could see considering this if other options weren't available. First of all, we have decided injuries are an acceptable risk: we still play the game. Secondly, there are other ways to accommodate those who need the 2:30 game over by 5:55. See below. I'm against it but think it's coming anyway.

[4] Incompletions. This rule would likewise change the feel, shorten the games, and reduce plays. I like watching football and still prefer looking for alternatives that do not result in fewer snaps played. Even so, I can see a reasonableness to expecting an offense to be at the line ready to run a play when the ball is spotted or deal with the clock winding down. Teams get time-outs. In the end, I come down here as on [3]: I would go along more were this the only way to help manage routine game length in real time.

[+1] Reviews. Reviews are frustrating because they ruin the rhythm of the game and because even with them, obviously or seemingly wrong calls (or non-calls) are left to stand with great frequency. The average game has 4 minutes waiting on review results. More camera angles (including always having goal-line and side-line cameras in place)   with officials watching every angle from the booth would allow rapid response when a review official sees something obviously contradicting the call on the field. If no official buzzes in before the next snap, play continues. If he does, the senior booth official has 30 seconds max to agree with the call or the booth objection.

[+2] Officials. If they are too out of shape to hustle running the ball back for the next snap, let them do something else on Saturdays. Proliferating cameras in the venues that host D1 games is a trivial expense compared to the revenue this sport generates and the cost of bringing in officials. Some calls such as out-of-bounds, offsides, false start, etc are easily seen by cameras and can even be automated like the dreaded tennis line alarm.

[+3] Injuries. Stopping play for an injury automatically uses a time-out. A team that has failed to preserve a time-out in case of injury is charged with unsportsmanlike conduct on the bench each time (with one "grace injury stoppage" per game) the officials must stop play anyway. The penalty is not applied if the injury is associated with a foul by the opposing team.

[+4] Dynamic rules. Some or all of the accelerated clock rules to be considered could be used only in the event that a game is running long. This would have the drawback of confusing people who barely keep up now, but the precedent is set in differing timing rules in the final 2 minutes already. Once, for example, 3 hours have elapsed since kick-off, rules [3] and [4] apply; 4 hours after kick-off, a running clock is initiated. While more susceptible to confusion, it would limit the effect of the new rules on games that otherwise were going to end on time anyway with the old rules.

TLDR : While more football causes more injuries, I reject this as a reason to eliminate plays. Carried to its logical conclusion, this rationale leads one to cancel the season. I do see the need to have some predictability for when games will end, and the game has changed a great deal in terms of what offenses do compared to the NCAA of the 20th century. We don't need another NFL, though. In the end, the networks are going to get what they want, so there is little point to our forming or stating opinions anyway.

• Drool 1

Because you have to pull shit out of your ass when you refuse to tackle the two biggest drivers for long games:
The ridiculous amount of tv time outs.
And the ungodly amount of time Refs take to review plays, on a tiny iPhone size TV, and a lot of time for plays that don’t matter.
Address those two things and the pace gets better without making the game different. But oh well. Better to make meaningless changes and / or the nature of the game rather than common sense solutions.

I may be wrong, but the ref isn’t reviewing anything. He’s just watching and talking to the actual replay official, who I can only assume is using at least an IPad sized screen.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:26 PM, Jimbob said:

Namath played his last season in LA

Craig Morton, NYG, Denver

Ken Stabler, hou, NO

Fran Tarkenton played for the giants for 5 years

high profile players want to have one final season... usually because they get paid big bucks for that last year

A lot of you need to find a doctor and get some ADHD meds.  If you can't sit through a game longer than 3 hours, that's a "you" problem.

3 and 4 make comebacks really difficult - like they are in the NFL.  

Generally, the sped-up time rules are the reason the NFL is so damn boring to me.  It feels like you're watching a badly-curated highlight reel.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Addressing the sub-complaint of games not fitting in the broadcast window, my sense has always been that NFL games almost always kick within a few minutes of the broadcast start. It seems like CFB games start 5 or 10 minutes later. Why not work on that. Same number of commercials, games finish earlier

No. 4 is growing on me, but I’d still hold off to see if 3 helps.  What’s the difference between an incomplete pass and a run for no gain? Both are failed plays. Why does the clock stop on the former and run on the latter? Best I can figure is that it takes more time to set the ball on an incomplete pass than a run (although it’s probably not a big difference these days since they swap the ball out so often). The long game times seem to have started when Leach was throwing the ball 60+ times a game and others followed. I think it would work to only stop the clock to reset the ball when it’s more than a few seconds.

A running clock like soccer doesn’t work because of the need to reset the ball every play, that’s not an issue in soccer. Also that most football injuries are real unlike the flailing morons in soccer, and some football injuries are serious and need extra time while most soccer injuries (when real) aren’t as serious since they’re not 250 lb monsters blowing each other up with padding as a semi-false protection mechanism and dragging each other down which strains the knees ankles etc.

Edited by 'stache

No. 4 is growing on me, but I’d still hold off to see if 3 helps.  What’s the difference between an incomplete pass and a run for no gain? Both are failed plays. Why does the clock stop on the former and run on the latter? Best I can figure is that it takes more time to set the ball on an incomplete pass than a run (although it’s probably not a big difference these days since they swap the ball out so often). The long game times seem to have started when Leach was throwing the ball 60+ times a game and others followed. I think it would work to only stop the clock to reset the ball when it’s more than a few seconds.
A running clock like soccer doesn’t work because of the need to reset the ball every play, that’s not an issue in soccer. Also that most football injuries are real unlike the flailing morons in soccer, and some football injuries are serious and need extra time while most soccer injuries (when real) aren’t as serious since they’re not 250 lb monsters blowing each other up with padding as a semi-false protection mechanism and dragging each other down which strains the knees ankles etc.

How much time would run off on a missed go route? The incomplete pass part of this is bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

#4 would completely change end-of-game scenarios. Now if have the ball and you're up by a score with a couple of minutes left, you can run or pass it. No worries about stopping the clock. I don't like it at all.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but we don't need any of these proposals to speed up the game.

Adopt the NFL replay rules and you will shed 30 minutes off of most CFB games.

It's such the obvious answer that it pisses me off the NCAA doesn't even have it on the table.  Instead, they rather look at these other options that will fundamentally change the game (not for the better) and will not have near the effect that simply changing the replay rules will have.

I feel like Scotty trying to talk sense to Dr. Evil.

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but we don't need any of these proposals to speed up the game.

It's such the obvious answer that it pisses me off the NCAA doesn't even have it on the table.  Instead, they rather look at these other options that will fundamentally change the game (not for the better) and will not have near the effect that simply changing the replay rules will have.

Agree, or maybe lessen the ad breaks and follow soccer's approach of branding on screen.   If they can run 45s with only a handful of subs and without a commercial break and make a bazillion dollars, so can football.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:21 PM, Dnaguy said:

Why don't we have a 15 minute running clock for each quarter. No clock stopping for anything. Injuries included.

Commercials would mostly be split screen commercials during the pauses in the action like huddles, small injuries, or reviews.

For major injuries, turnovers, after a score, turnovers on down, and at half time you can have full commercials.

Then at the discretion of the head ref, a certain amount of 'extra time' can be added to each quarter. It'll mostly be like 5-7 minutes. Hell, maybe you start counting up from 0 instead of that counting down from 15 stuff.

We might be able to knock out a game in under 2 hrs if we're lucky.

Considering this is about speeding up the game and not about the final product, I can't see a better solution.

It's not like current fans enjoy the game they're watching. They just need to fill that inconvenient time between the last day of the work week and NFL Sunday.

I’ve long thought they should run an ad banner across the bottom like they do in soccer, then have fewer commercials per break and/or fewer tv timeouts. That will shave 15-30 minutes off each game. 

It’s really strange how people don’t want college football to become the NFL (basically the fully grown adult form of college football’s college year young adult phase), considering a large number of these players will end up playing in the NFL, but it should instead resemble an entirely different sport that isn’t even as popular in the US as people online want to claim it is 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s really strange how people don’t want college football to become the NFL (basically the fully grown adult form of college football’s college year young adult phase), considering a large number of these players will end up playing in the NFL, but it should instead resemble an entirely different sport that isn’t even as popular in the US as people online want to claim it is 

Jack Daniels is more popular than Crown Royal Black.  Doesn't mean I want my Crown Royal Black to suddenly start tasting like Jack Daniels. 

Some of us like college football's distinctiveness from the NFL and don't want NFL 2.0.  

31 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

avatar checks out. Austin Powers International Man Of Mystery: Can I have a hug? - YouTube

• Haha 1

1) The referee doesn't review plays in college.

2) Hashmarks are probably the most significant rule difference in the sport and the college hashmarks are superior to NFL in pretty much every way.

3) #4 is better than #3 for three reasons: (1) Erode the difference between running and passing teams with regards to offensive pace and volume (and game length).  (2) Playcall diversity in 6-minute situations.  Not sure why people think it's exciting to watch a game where one team is runx3 and punt, and the other team throws it out of bounds 50% of snaps then waits ~45 secs for the next snap.  Most sports go into hyper drive at the end of time periods and football seems to slow way down (basketball bugs me in this regard as well).  (3) First downs are at least earned time stoppage whereas throws 10 yards out of bounds are not.

Edited by JBJ

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

1) The referee doesn't review plays in college.

2) Hashmarks are probably the most significant rule difference in the sport and the college hashmarks are superior to NFL in pretty much every way.

3) #4 is better than #3 for three reasons: (1) Erode the difference between running and passing teams with regards to offensive pace and volume.  (2) Playcall diversity in 6-minute situations.  Not sure why people think it's exciting to watch a game where one team is runx3 and punt, and the other team throws it out of bounds 50% of snaps then waits ~45 secs for the next snap.  Most sports go into hyper drive at the end of time periods and football seems to slow way down.  (3) First downs are at least earned time stoppage whereas throwing it 10 yards out of bounds are not.

Huh? Last-minute football drives when a team is down go pretty fast. Close basketball games turn into a foul-fest. Close baseball games slow down because the batter has to adjust his gloves after every pitch, pitchers have to take a stroll around the mound, managers have to replace the pitcher after every hitter, etc. I guess soccer and hockey go at a frantic pace near the end if a team is down by a goal. If the game is tied, both teams play for overtime.

3 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Huh? Last-minute football drives when a team is down go pretty fast. Close basketball games turn into a foul-fest. Close baseball games slow down because the batter has to adjust his gloves after every pitch, pitchers have to take a stroll around the mound, managers have to replace the pitcher after every hitter, etc. I guess soccer and hockey go at a frantic pace near the end if a team is down by a goal. If the game is tied, both teams play for overtime.

not sure when the last time you watched MLB... but they fixed that rule  back in 2019

43 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Agree, or maybe lessen the ad breaks and follow soccer's approach of branding on screen.   If they can run 45s with only a handful of subs and without a commercial break and make a bazillion dollars, so can football.

They might add on screen branding, but they won't reduce the amount of commercials unless they can't sell all the ads. Too much money is never enough. 

When cable TV first came in, one of the arguments was that if people paid for TV, the networks wouldn't have to sell ads. As soon as cable became the norm, the networks said..."Why shouldn't we sell ads AND charge a monthly fee?"

The official soft drink of the Longhorns. The official proctologist of the Longhorns. The official chiropractor of the Longhorns. $10 soft drinks. $75 polo shirts. How much do companies pay to get their ads on the Godzillatron? How many ads run on the ribbon boards? How much does a tailgate spot cost for the season? These are all revenue streams that didn't used to exist, and we all know what would happen if someone said, "Hey, we're making all this money from advertising and branding. Why don't we lower season ticket prices?" They'd get kicked out of the meeting. 

When our big SECSECSEC paycheck comes in, they're gonna stick the money in their pockets and look for the next revenue stream. 

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

They might add on screen branding, but they won't reduce the amount of commercials unless they can't sell all the ads. Too much money is never enough. 

When cable TV first came in, one of the arguments was that if people paid for TV, the networks wouldn't have to sell ads. As soon as cable became the norm, the networks said..."Why shouldn't we sell ads AND charge a monthly fee?"

The official soft drink of the Longhorns. The official proctologist of the Longhorns. The official chiropractor of the Longhorns. $10 soft drinks. $75 polo shirts. How much do companies pay to get their ads on the Godzillatron? How many ads run on the ribbon boards? How much does a tailgate spot cost for the season? These are all revenue streams that didn't used to exist, and we all know what would happen if someone said, "Hey, we're making all this money from advertising and branding. Why don't we lower season ticket prices?" They'd get kicked out of the meeting. 

When our big SECSECSEC paycheck comes in, they're gonna stick the money in their pockets and look for the next revenue stream. 

Yeah, I don't disagree.   Just meant from a game length standpoint, the EPL makes colossal money and the game only breaks at half.  So there is a way.

Upside being if you could get the game down to 2 hours instead of 3.5, you could fit 3 games in an afternoon instead of two.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

People are dumbasses.

Replays and commercials are why games run long to the detriment of fans. Excessive incompletions is more a detriment than stoppages are first downs. And halftimes. It’s an ass kicking to see the dude stand on the field and his clock reads 3-4 minutes until play resumes.

Go to commercial immediately on replay. Same on injury delays.

And again if you watch at home, don’t be a dumbass. Record it. Start watching it late. Fast forward thru shit. Boom you’re done in 3 hours if that’s your objective. And if you watch football all day, there’s no problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Had Enough said:

People are dumbasses.

Replays and commercials are why games run long to the detriment of fans. Excessive incompletions is more a detriment than stoppages are first downs. And halftimes. It’s an ass kicking to see the dude stand on the field and his clock reads 3-4 minutes until play resumes.

And again if you watch at home, don’t be a dumbass. Record it. Start watching it late. Fast forward thru shit. Boom you’re done in 3 hours if that’s your objective. And if you watch football all day, there’s no problem.

preach GIF by Shalita Grant

21 hours ago, Had Enough said:

People are dumbasses.

except you know, if you watch another fucking game, they have a score ticker going underneath, which, may, you know, fucking spoil that plan since its now telling you a score has happened that you havent seen.

even if you did something like physically hide the bottom inch of the TV, almost every game broadcast will randomly tell you, hey, heres the scores, as they put them up on the whole screen, virtually impossible to ignore,  or, since we are Texas, anytime we are behind, other channels gleefully report that information at random times.

your plan only works if you only watch that channel,  go out and do yard chores, or house chores, and then come back about 90 mins later and start skipping the rest of the stuff (which there are several folks on here who have said they do that).

Hell, Ive tried watching some other sport entirely (baseball or early basketball) and even on those broadcasts they will still give the football scores. 

• Like 1

except you know, if you watch another fucking game, they have a score ticker going underneath, which, may, you know, fucking spoil that plan since its now telling you a score has happened that you havent seen.
even if you did something like physically hide the bottom inch of the TV, almost every game broadcast will randomly tell you, hey, heres the scores, as they put them up on the whole screen, virtually impossible to ignore,  or, since we are Texas, anytime we are behind, other channels gleefully report that information at random times.

your plan only works if you only watch that channel,  go out and do yard chores, or house chores, and then come back about 90 mins later and start skipping the rest of the stuff (which there are several folks on here who have said they do that).

Hell, Ive tried watching some other sport entirely (baseball or early basketball) and even on those broadcasts they will still give the football scores. 
Agreed. It's so hard these days to keep an outcome of a game secret. You have to completely disconnect from everything because scores are everywhere these days.

Are you serious?

If you care enough to be done in 3 hours or close to it, then you’re not planning on watching football. If you’re watching all day, why would you give a shit if it lasts 4 hours? I’m recording our games and flipping channels.

There’s plenty of shit you can do for 30 minutes if it’s that critical and avoid hearing the score.

I’ll say it again. I attend games. I watch them all one way or another. Every play of every game. Four hours is probably too long. Three hours is for damn sure too short. Travel time to and from is then greater than the actual game. My cost isn’t going down. My travel Time doesn’t decrease. My actual game action does.

I figure out a way. And damn near have for 30 years.

All this discussion because we’re trying to reduce game times. So now we get rules changes that have significant potential impact to games and will likely do nothing for the real reasons causing the delays.

Army games will have fewer plays but may last just as long as they squeeze out every ad dollar they can.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:49 PM, Had Enough said:

Are you serious?

If you care enough to be done in 3 hours or close to it, then you’re not planning on watching football. If you’re watching all day, why would you give a shit if it lasts 4 hours? I’m recording our games and flipping channels.

There’s plenty of shit you can do for 30 minutes if it’s that critical and avoid hearing the score.

I’ll say it again. I attend games. I watch them all one way or another. Every play of every game. Four hours is probably too long. Three hours is for damn sure too short. Travel time to and from is then greater than the actual game. My cost isn’t going down. My travel Time doesn’t decrease. My actual game action does.

I figure out a way. And damn near have for 30 years.

All this discussion because we’re trying to reduce game times. So now we get rules changes that have significant potential impact to games and will likely do nothing for the real reasons causing the delays.

Army games will have fewer plays but may last just as long as they squeeze out every ad dollar they can.

If these things do nothing to reduce the time of the game then why on average are NFL games shorter? You sound like a boomer bitching about the pitch clock in baseball.