Tell me about icemakers

TwiceHorn

Or, more accurately, what to replace a built-in with.

I don't want a fucking icemaker.  I have one in a new house that's broken. And I understand that to be their usual state. And I sure as fuck don't want to pay $2500 for something I consider to be teats on a hog.

What should I replace it with?  There's a wine cooler next to it, so that's out.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Or, more accurately, what to replace a built-in with.

I don't want a fucking icemaker.  I have one in a new house that's broken. And I understand that to be their usual state. And I sure as fuck don't want to pay $2500 for something I consider to be teats on a hog.

What should I replace it with?  There's a wine cooler next to it, so that's out.

Trash compactor?  Kind of useless, but it doesn't make ice and you get to listen to your trash get crushed.  That's all I got.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a built in ice maker that makes sonic style ice. Four years old…no issues. Just yearly cleaning. Mrs. Tailgate doesn’t use any other ice.

If I were to replace it, I’d consider a pull out baking pan holder or since your wine fridge is there…you could do something cool with a trim carpenter that holds wine glasses. Or as mentioned above…you could double the wine space and use this side for reds/non-cooler wine. F it…just drop a kegerator in there.

Edited by Tailgate

7 hours ago, tigol said:

Twice is sober.  So, practical solutions are out of the window.

Correct, no real use for ice for adult beverages.  The wine cooler is going to be stocked with fizzy water.  Maybe the odd bottle of wine for guests.

And with cold bottles of water around, I have no real need for ice for any kind of beverages.

Our KitchenAid fridge's icemaker and door dispenser still works 12 years later, which probably is partly a testament to its underuse.

I originally figured we'd just replace it, thinking they might be a grand or so, I was shocked to see how expensive they are.

8 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Where is the ice maker?   Kitchen, bar???

If its in the kitchen, I'd replace it with a cabinet for my heavy ass Kitchenaid mixer or a small warming oven.  

It is a small bar facing the living room/den.  I might be able to get the existing one repaired at a reasonable cost.  Or, I guess just turn it into another cabinet.

The kitchen actually has great storage for things of that nature.  House isn't perfect, but it is one of the more thoughtful renos with a very useful kitchen (so many renos have glossy looking kitchens that really aren't that functional).

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Correct, no real use for ice for adult beverages.  The wine cooler is going to be stocked with fizzy water.  Maybe the odd bottle of wine for guests.

And with cold bottles of water around, I have no real need for ice for any kind of beverages.

Our KitchenAid fridge's icemaker and door dispenser still works 12 years later, which probably is partly a testament to its underuse.

I originally figured we'd just replace it, thinking they might be a grand or so, I was shocked to see how expensive they are.

Well, if you don't drink then maybe a small freezer maybe with 2 drawers instead of side by side. Put ice cream or whatever in them. Some you can choose the temp and do one fridge and the other freezer.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:36 PM, Tailgate said:

We have a built in ice maker that makes sonic style ice. Four years old…no issues. Just yearly cleaning. Mrs. Tailgate doesn’t use any other ice.

If I were to replace it, I’d consider a pull out baking pan holder or since your wine fridge is there…you could do something cool with a trim carpenter that holds wine glasses. Or as mentioned above…you could double the wine space and use this side for reds/non-cooler wine. F it…just drop a kegerator in there.

When she's at my place, she uses the big cubes on her nipples.

On 2/23/2023 at 6:21 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I was going to add one to my remodel until I got the quote from the appliance people.  Yeah, $5k for ice is a no for me, dog.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/24/2023 at 5:38 PM, Gil Bang said:

about 850 bucks, and works well; I installed one in GF's daughter's place a few years back. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Costway-15-in-80-lb-Built-in-Ice-Maker-Free-Standing-Under-Counter-Machine-in-Silver-FP10081US-SL/320566560?

That's a little more like it.  Still, the initial sticker shock caused me to completely reassess any need or desire for an icemaker.

Sober or not, having giant cocktail parties really isn't our thing and the convenience of not having to take a few steps to the kitchen for ice, or use an ice bucket or some such really makes the things seem pretty absurd, even at a halfway reasonable price.  I even tried to get excited about "nugget" ice, but no-go.

Would there be any utility in a warming drawer in that location?  

it can be used to keep food warm, to warm plates prior to serving, to prove dough if you bake. 

Also I haven’t looked so they may be the same cost as an ice maker so if it’s a function you don’t need it may not be a better choice.

Hate to be contrarian, but we had the big chunk ice machine and it was the tits.  We had a pool and lots of people around all the time and plenty of adult beverages in the hot OKC sun and used the hell out of it and I only realy maintained it about twice a year - dumped out the ice, added in an acid solution, let it run a few hours, hosed it all down.  Took about 30 minutes of effort.

It was the big chunky type - 1 was perfect for an Irish.  Cost about $3500

ice-for-the-purist.png

Edited by beer

3 hours ago, beer said:

Hate to be contrarian, but we had the big chunk ice machine and it was the tits.  We had a pool and lots of people around all the time and plenty of adult beverages in the hot OKC sun and used the hell out of it and I only realy maintained it about twice a year - dumped out the ice, added in an acid solution, let it run a few hours, hosed it all down.  Took about 30 minutes of effort.

It was the big chunky type - 1 was perfect for an Irish.  Cost about $3500

ice-for-the-purist.png

You're also buying a house in southern Spain.

Also, the house has a pool, yes, but the garage is right next to it and there will be two refrigerators in there. So people can get ice without coming in the house.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
On 2/24/2023 at 3:38 PM, Gil Bang said:
about 850 bucks, and works well; I installed one in GF's daughter's place a few years back. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Costway-15-in-80-lb-Built-in-Ice-Maker-Free-Standing-Under-Counter-Machine-in-Silver-FP10081US-SL/320566560?

Easy to clean?

not sure if serious, but yeah, tub pulls out to clean. 

On 3/5/2023 at 8:02 PM, Gil Bang said:

not sure if serious, but yeah, tub pulls out to clean. 

serious.  only the tub needs cleaning?  i've stayed away from these things bc i've seen the nastiest slime accumulate in the parts you can't reach.