My Bariatric Surgery Journey

Wulaw Horn

My mom had reduction surgery about 15 years ago. She does get drunk fast but also sobers up quick, so she has to keep drinking to maintain. She does not deal well with edibles, they come on very fast and strong and she's reduced to a laughing mess for 40 minutes while everyone else is waiting for them to kick in. 

It's been at least 13 years since I've had THC, but my go-to was a box of saltine crackers with hot sauce and several boxes of popsicles.

Wu, I'm definitely one of your fans and though I haven't needed surgery I was bought into the “low fat” SAD and was up to 260 when I hit my emotional food bottom at a subway sandwich place on a Sunday afternoon in 2014. I was eating a six-inch turkey sub with no mayo and baked lays after an hour on the elliptical wondering why I couldn't lose weight when I discovered keto on the internet and said fuck it, I'm in.

The day I hit “Onederland” was an accomplishment, and I've kept it right around there since then.

My wife’s love language is food and her very infrequent edible go to is OG Cheetos and a DQ blizzard.

Good on you both and I'm rooting for you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

278.8 today. 
didn’t make myself a shake. Tired of it. So I’m just eating the premade shakes. 
tried water again and it is just brutal for me to drink- sits so heavy on my stomach and makes me feel sick. I used to drink a gallon a day. Sucks. 

Got Some crystal light mix ins and bam- problem completely solved. So freaking weird. So- 4 store bought protein shakes today, two 30 minute walks, 80 OZ of crystal light and jello and going to have a cup of chicken broth later tonight. That gives me a little savory which is like manna from heaven when you consider how sweet everything I’ve eaten for the last 3 weeks is (basically just protein shakes, protein water, jello and Gatorade zero). 

278.8 again today.  

Drank 4 shakes yesterday.  Made myself a heavy milk today (holy shit it was gross) and will have 3 shakes today, maybe a Jello.

Going to San Antonio with the kids tomorrow for Spring break, so 3 more days of nothing but the pre made commercial protein shakes.  9 days and counting on my liquid (but not smoothie- just protein shakes and sugar free Jello, sugar free pudding and chicken broth) diet.  I'm so so so sick of this right now.  Just tough stuff to go 30 days without putting a bite of solid food in your mouth.  
One other things- this is really lonely.  Wife cooks for her and the kids and everyone digs in except for me- there I am making my shake in the blender or drinking my commercial shake. They've gone out to eat 3 or 4 times without me during this journey.  Really kind of sucks. I'm not mad at them or anything, and it's my deal I have to go through not theirs that they have to go through, but it is tough.

Finally- I keep seeing spots and blacking out whenever I get up.  I actually ended up literally on my ass one day as I decided that would be easier than continuing to stand while everything was going black.  Looked it up and it's completely no big deal.  Most seem to think it could be a sign of dehydration but in addition to my protein shakes I'm taking in 80-100 OZ of liquid so I should be good there.  Another cause can be rapid weight loss.  I've lost 44 pounds in 47 days, so I would think that qualifies.  Once I get on my feet and moving after the first 10 or so seconds of standing up I feel absolutely great.  Wife says my snoring is way down. I have apnea and wear a CPAP.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wulaw great job on your journal and decision to move ahead with this. I hope you’ve let go if your resentment with your wife on the Mexico thing. That’s a stupid thing to do with this surgery; take a real vacation when your wife and hou reach your goals.

I suggest counseling for you and the wife. You both have addictive behaviors that your relationship was built on and it gets dicey as time goes on and food, booze, and tobacco all have strong long arms especially when both spouses are involved. Divorce is common. Your surgery makes alcohol very bad and is best avoided forever. And too much food can stretch your stomach back out.

Are these shakes part of your doctors plan? You seem to be I taking massive amounts for a much smaller stomach. Stick to the diet and avoid carbonation like the plague: cokes, beer, fizzies all bad.

My mom gained a ton of weight from breast cancer treatment and had bypass at 75 and lost 120 pounds and kept it off. It added years to her life and mobility.

I am diabetic and was considering weight loss surgery when I hit 320. My new Endocrenologist put me on Trulicity and I lost 60 pounds in 8 months. I laid off a bit and am starting back now. It’s a journey sir. Best of luck to you.

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

278.8 again today.  

Drank 4 shakes yesterday.  Made myself a heavy milk today (holy shit it was gross) and will have 3 shakes today, maybe a Jello.

Going to San Antonio with the kids tomorrow for Spring break, so 3 more days of nothing but the pre made commercial protein shakes.  9 days and counting on my liquid (but not smoothie- just protein shakes and sugar free Jello, sugar free pudding and chicken broth) diet.  I'm so so so sick of this right now.  Just tough stuff to go 30 days without putting a bite of solid food in your mouth.  
One other things- this is really lonely.  Wife cooks for her and the kids and everyone digs in except for me- there I am making my shake in the blender or drinking my commercial shake. They've gone out to eat 3 or 4 times without me during this journey.  Really kind of sucks. I'm not mad at them or anything, and it's my deal I have to go through not theirs that they have to go through, but it is tough.

Finally- I keep seeing spots and blacking out whenever I get up.  I actually ended up literally on my ass one day as I decided that would be easier than continuing to stand while everything was going black.  Looked it up and it's completely no big deal.  Most seem to think it could be a sign of dehydration but in addition to my protein shakes I'm taking in 80-100 OZ of liquid so I should be good there.  Another cause can be rapid weight loss.  I've lost 44 pounds in 47 days, so I would think that qualifies.  Once I get on my feet and moving after the first 10 or so seconds of standing up I feel absolutely great.  Wife says my snoring is way down. I have apnea and wear a CPAP.

Congratulations for getting the surgery. It's great watching your progress. Sadly my late brother was addicted to food like you were. He was an athlete growing up but began eating like crazy after college and put on the weight that he would never lose. Developed type two diabetes and eventually died of a heart attack at 53. I lost so much sleep over the years worrying about him, and I knew it would get him some day. You are a true inspiration. Keep on kicking butt.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Ask doc about low blood pressure. Might cause the spots and blacking out. 

This, especially if you are currently taking anything for HBP.  Could be time to start weaning off of it.  The blind staggers seem like no big deal until you end up with a skull fracture on the way down.

• Hook 'Em 1

I got off the blood pressure pills (they were only 5mg so very mild) the day after surgery. Said nope- doubt I need them.  
278.6 today. So I’ve plateaued the last 4 or 5 days. Super common on week 3. I have that in week 2. Yea. 
got in a ton of steps today taking kids to fiesta Texas. Only 1 ride was I too far to ride (and even that just barely- by like 1/2 and inch. Previously it was like 6 inches at least it seemed. So that was cool. 
Drinking my 4 protein shakes and nothing else while on road sucks. This was day 21 without a bite of food. I miss food. 1 more week.  Still not really hungry. Just crazy. 

• Like 1

Just finished up day 3 at SeaWorld and fiesta Texas. 
Only 1 ride is didn’t fit on and that by 1 inch- maybe 1/2 an inch. The seatbelt couldn’t quite get vertical but was there. Saw a couple guys do the walk of shame off the ride that I didn’t think were all that fat, got worried and then I made it with room to spare. Very happy. 
man- I’m so beat down with drinking nothing but protein shakes. 23 days without a bite of food. 5 more left. I’m so looking forward to it. 
watching the NCAA tournament with no booze or food will be fun. Time to rewire my brain I guess. 

• Like 3

272.4. Officially down 50 pounds in the last 8 weeks and 30 pounds in the last 25 days (which is how long it’s been since I’ve had a bite of food) 

My wife brought home pizza, wings and beer for her and the kids (beer for her not kids obviously yesterday while I was watching the tournament and it bummed me out. 
I’m still not even sure I’m happy with having had the surgery and my experience has been a dream. Just the idea I won’t be able to eat/drink like that anymore bums me out. It’s not like I have a choice though, which is what I needed to do, and why nothing else ever worked. I wonder if it will get better when I can actually eat again instead of just shakes (and not even smoothies or  anything blended in, or if my brain will always be broken in this way.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Not necessarily food but any kind of compulsion. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

272.4. Officially down 50 pounds in the last 8 weeks and 30 pounds in the last 25 days (which is how long it’s been since I’ve had a bite of food) 

My wife brought home pizza, wings and beer for her and the kids (beer for her not kids obviously yesterday while I was watching the tournament and it bummed me out. 
I’m still not even sure I’m happy with having had the surgery and my experience has been a dream. Just the idea I won’t be able to eat/drink like that anymore bums me out. It’s not like I have a choice though, which is what I needed to do, and why nothing else ever worked. I wonder if it will get better when I can actually eat again instead of just shakes (and not even smoothies or  anything blended in, or if my brain will always be broken in this way.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Not necessarily food but any kind of compulsion. 

There’s a whole thread about alcoholism. It’s probably similar in many regards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

But those of us who have solid sobriety don’t miss drinking at all because we know we were just filling a void with the wrong thing which was going to end up killing us.

We found sufficient healthy substitutes.

Wu, when you do finally get to eat again you can have “pizza fix” which is crust-less pizza, all your favorite toppings baked together. And BW3 wings with dry rub have about a gram of carbs each. And papa John’s and BW3 will deliver that stuff on demand.

I refuse to feel like I’m missing out, and though keto is a little different than what you’re going through, there are similarities. For me my weight was just unacceptable anymore so I found a diet that was my favorite things in a different form. Pork rinds with queso. Fajitas with no tortilla. Shit that I LOVE just eaten a different way. A bowl of guacamole and a spoon.

My favorite desert is “whip” which is sugar free pudding mix, cream cheese, and heavy whipping cream all whipped up with a hand mixer. It’s amazing. My wife can make a keto cheesecake that will blow your mind.

You’re going to come to the realization that wheat was a major contributor to your isssues, and that they do wonders with almond flour and cauliflower. My neighborhood Italian joint has a cauliflower almond crust pizza that is indistinguishable from traditional crust.

My newest beverage obsession is this polar carbonated water that tastes like an orange vanilla creamsicle. I can’t slam beers anymore, and so I’ll slam topo chicos.

I gave an hour long AA talk tonight in front of about 50 people and driving home I so desperately wanted a large blizzard. I just kept driving, and when I got home a diet Pepsi on ice took care of the sugar craving.

Costco sells almond flour crackers that are better than wheat thins.

You’re just going to have to trick your mind into getting satisfaction from different things.

Read up on it. I suggest “wheat belly” and “salt sugar fat” which pulls back the curtain on how food in 2023 isn’t remotely close to what people ate 100 years ago.

It’s just going to take practice.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I’m no good at the maths but it looks like you have lost around 4 lbs. since Monday. Man, in my thinking that’s phenomenal. You had a short plateau but now you are losing again. I’m in awe of your success. I hope you feel some pride/hope/motivation from your successes.

• Hook 'Em 1

273 flat. Another little plateau. Think I’m retaining water bc I damn sure am not consuming too many calories 

I get to eat on Tuesday. First time in 29 days. Made my shopping list. Pulled my recipes. Going to the grocery store after church. Pretty excited. 
Started doing first body weight exercises yesterday. 30 lunges and 30 squats. Did those and 30 minutes later legs didn’t work. Had a hard time getting in 11k steps yesterday but still did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wu congrats on your progress. Your surgeon should have recommended some types of counseling for you as you must change your mental and emotional relationship with food. Based on your comments you sound like the drug addict in treatment who spends a month planning their relapse.

Most bariatric patients fail because they don’t change behaviors. The surgery is a short lived benefit if eating doesn’t change. The stomach heals and stretches back out.

Just remember when you start eating solids that your stomach is small holding about half a cup. Eat more and it will come back up.

Stay strong wulaw and the benefits will become more evident.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

273 flat. Another little plateau.

I know you are weighing everyday, however you can't really compare yesterday to today or today to tomorrow.  I weigh everyday as well, but only really compare weight once a week.  There are days that I think, based on the previous day, that I'll go up a pound and don't and the reverse is also true.  Too many factors effect daily weight (water retention, bowels, etc.).  I say this because it is really easy to get discouraged with plateaus.  Keep up the good work.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Wu congrats on your progress. Your surgeon should have recommended some types of counseling for you as you must change your mental and emotional relationship with food. Based on your comments you sound like the drug addict in treatment who spends a month planning their relapse.

Most bariatric patients fail because they don’t change behaviors. The surgery is a short lived benefit if eating doesn’t change. The stomach heals and stretches back out.

Just remember when you start eating solids that your stomach is small holding about half a cup. Eat more and it will come back up.

Stay strong wulaw and the benefits will become more evident.

I know why you’d say that, bc it probably sounds like that, but I’m pretty disciplined. I’m not doing anything that’s not on the agenda and I don’t plan on it for a year. I’ve made a commitment and I keep those- so far 30 down 335 to go. 

My wife was like- you seem down. I was like I haven’t had a bite of food, a drop of alcohol, a cigarette or a boner in a month (had to get off my testosterone- I’m like a 140 which is super low-  everything works fine when it’s time to go but it’s just in general blah unless it’s time to go) and my job sort of sucks (only the worst time to be a mortgage guy in a generation). 

Yeah- I’m not walking around radiating sunshine out of my ass. I do have a plan and a schedule and I am sticking with it and I plan to stick with it going forward. Discipline not willpower, right?  There’s just not a lot of joy in it. And today my legs are killing me and I’m hobbling around because I did body weight exercises for the first time in… 5 years maybe?  First day back to the office tomorrow. First time to eat food Tuesday. Hopefully those are both a ray of sunshine. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I know you are weighing everyday, however you can't really compare yesterday to today or today to tomorrow.  I weigh everyday as well, but only really compare weight once a week.  There are days that I think, based on the previous day, that I'll go up a pound and don't and the reverse is also true.  Too many factors effect daily weight (water retention, bowels, etc.).  I say this because it is really easy to get discouraged with plateaus.  Keep up the good work.

I know. That’s how I think of it. It’s still annoying when you are up from 3 days ago and you know you’ve done everything you are supposed to. The body is weird. 

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Wat 

365 days in a year, right?  I committed to following the program for 1 year fanatically with no deviation and not trying to push the boundaries at all. I’ve got 30 days of the program down, I’ve got 335 more to follow it fanatically.  Most people don’t based upon experience I’ve seen, stuff I’ve heard, face book groups my wife is on etc. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

365 days in a year, right?  I committed to following the program for 1 year fanatically with no deviation and not trying to push the boundaries at all. I’ve got 30 days of the program down, I’ve got 335 more to follow it fanatically.  Most people don’t based upon experience I’ve seen, stuff I’ve heard, face book groups my wife is on etc. 

got it. I was thinking lbs 😳

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

got it. I was thinking lbs 😳

No. I’m on the very skinny side for this surgery I think. I was 292 after my liquid diet the day before the surgery. 322 is what I count as my fattest bc that’s where I was at when I decided to do this thing this year. 
Hope to lose 150 from that point. Would settle for 123 I guess. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I had what amounts to bariatric surgery when I had most of my esophagus and 1/3 of my stomach removed.  I will say it works.  I’m down 35 pounds.  But I wouldn’t have opted for it.  My relationship with food is forever changed.  I can only eat small amounts more frequently.  Just had lunch with some friends at a Mexican restaurant.  My previous m.o. would have been to smash a full basket of chips, or more, then crush a large burrito or big combo plate.  I had 3 chips, 3/4 of a single enchilada, and a few bites of rice and beans.  I was sad I couldn’t go hog wild.  But it turns out it was a necessity if I wanted to live.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I had what amounts to bariatric surgery when I had most of my esophagus and 1/3 of my stomach removed.  I will say it works.  I’m down 35 pounds.  But I wouldn’t have opted for it.  My relationship with food is forever changed.  I can only eat small amounts more frequently.  Just had lunch with some friends at a Mexican restaurant.  My previous m.o. would have been to smash a full basket of chips, or more, then crush a large burrito or big combo plate.  I had 3 chips, 3/4 of a single enchilada, and a few bites of rice and beans.  I was sad I couldn’t go hog wild.  But it turns out it was a necessity if I wanted to live.

This is my sadness. It might have been necessary if I wanted to live and then again it might not have- I will never know. Yeah- I’m going thru that sadness now.  Yours was obviously a no brainer. Glad you are doing well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Wu, I admire your transparency here and courage to make a change that you judge to be necessary for your personal health and wellbeing. I often have a similar admiration in the alcoholics thread.

It’s my hope that we can collectively reach the point where all transitioning people are honored and respected, including trans folk. Overweight people are no strangers to being culturally vilified either.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Wu, I admire your transparency here and courage to make a change that you judge to be necessary for your personal health and wellbeing. I often have a similar admiration in the alcoholics thread.

It’s my hope that we can collectively reach the point where all transitioning people are honored and respected, including trans folk. Overweight people are no strangers to being culturally vilified either.

I mean I have 2 schools of thought on the “cultural vilification” personally as a fat guy and think both sides get it wrong. 
I mentioned on here that It sucks that I wear around the worst thing about me for the entire world to see. Most don’t have to do that. Any many are mean about fat people. They talk about them in a way they never would someone struggling with something like alcohol, or infidelity or drug abuse or a lot of other stuff. Also, they say stuff like “why don’t you just quit eating” that might be easy for them but feels almost impossible for a fat guy. I don’t have w problem stopping drinking. Or working 80 hours a week. Or saving money. Or doing a lot of things that you (the guy making fun of me) might have a problem with but this thing that’s really easy for you is almost impossible for me. And guess what- I know I’m fat and it isn’t good for me. If you have to send an emotion my way it’s a lot more humane if it’s sadness as opposed to anger or shame. 
BUT, this new thing healthy at any size and glamorizing fat people is awful and needs to stop. We don’t need 275 pound women swimsuit models or 350 pound women doing yoga commercials on the super bowl with “healthy at any size.”  You aren’t. You might be ok right now (I was) but you are a ticking time bomb and nobody should be making the argument that this is ok or something that should be promote or accepted in society. 
Just my 2 cents on obesity going through it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

273.2. Still up a pound from Friday (I know don’t weigh everyday) body is weird- how it’s up weight after 2000 calories total over the course of 3 days filled with walking and exercise I don’t comprehend. First day back at work. Will have to bring my homemade shakes with me. Last day to not eat regular food hopefully of my life. Day 28 without food. Wouldn’t wish that on anyone. 

I was 272.4 on Thursday. It’s been 5 days and I’m up 2/10’s of a pound and nothing but 640 calories of shakes a day has entered my mouth over those 5 days. So fucking frustrating. That’s not about daily weighing because we are at Day 5 of this bullshit. I’m actually only down 8 pounds over the last 2 weeks which might sound like a lot until you consider I’ve been on a liquid fucking diet of roughly 600 calories during that time, I started out fat, and I’ve been walking roughly 5 miles a day per my Fitbit and even doing some body weight shit the last  week. I should be at a 3500-4000 calorie daily deficit according to my Fitbit and according to just what I’ve read online, I’ve deprived myself of all food and the response is fucking shit. 
I know it will pass- I’m just venting right now. I wanted and expected to be under 250 by end of school and it’s not looking likely at all right now. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I was 272.4 on Thursday. It’s been 5 days and I’m up 2/10’s of a pound and nothing but 640 calories of shakes a day has entered my mouth over those 5 days. So fucking frustrating. That’s not about daily weighing because we are at Day 5 of this bullshit. I’m actually only down 8 pounds over the last 2 weeks which might sound like a lot until you consider I’ve been on a liquid fucking diet of roughly 600 calories during that time, I started out fat, and I’ve been walking roughly 5 miles a day per my Fitbit and even doing some body weight shit the last  week. I should be at a 3500-4000 calorie daily deficit according to my Fitbit and according to just what I’ve read online, I’ve deprived myself of all food and the response is fucking shit. 
I know it will pass- I’m just venting right now. I wanted and expected to be under 250 by end of school and it’s not looking likely at all right now. 

You've got 2 more months to lose 20 lbs, that is eminently doable. I've tracked calories and workouts and swear I've spent a month at a 500 a day calorie deficit and lost jack shit. As you've said before, and remains true, the body is weird. It gets stubborn and wants to retain fat, and right now your body is probably feeling like it's under a siege of changes. It'll pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You've got 2 more months to lose 20 lbs, that is eminently doable. I've tracked calories and workouts and swear I've spent a month at a 500 a day calorie deficit and lost jack shit. As you've said before, and remains true, the body is weird. It gets stubborn and wants to retain fat, and right now your body is probably feeling like it's under a siege of changes. It'll pass. 

Easy to say, hard to deal with.  The good thing about this surgery is, fuck your feelings, I still ain't overeating b/c I physically can't overeat, so will just keep on keeping on with what I'm doing.  In the past that might have been a good trigger after a month (or 3 or 4 I think at 50 lbs was the most I ever lost) to go eat out for lunch and then half ass dinner routine, get back on the wagon for a day or two, cheat again- eat pizza and beer while I watch the tournament- promise I will get back square on Monday- then it's opening day and I'm at the Astros game that Thursday and before you know it there is no on track anymore and I'm right on my way to gaining back those 50 pounds.  
This- I can't do all that with this.

Today I ate a scrambled egg and cottage cheese. I brought tuna salad to work, I bought curried chicken salad to work (no sandwiches no bread- just the innards) and I brought black bean refried beans (all of above foods containing protein powder) while making myself slow cooked bar b q chicken in the slow cooker.  So- that's my food for the week except I will have a shrimp cocktail salad made on Wednesday and then I'm making crab cakes on Friday.  All this shit is bariatric cookbook and low cal/healthy (like 150-225 calories per serving and 20+ grams of protein for most of it.  

Was nice to make and eat a meal with my 7 year old this morning (she helped me make the eggs and the slow cooker stuff). The food wasn't as tasty as I'd normally make it b/c it was missing a boat load of cheese and it was skim milk cottage cheese, but the ritual and custom of eating and doing something with my daughter was fun and lifted my spirits somewhat. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My fitbit stats from the week:  Pay no attention to how much it's up from last week- I think I only wore it the last 4 days of next week.  But, as you can see I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. The average calories is low likely b/c 2 days I didn't wear it to bed and you should, at my size- burn 1,000+ calories over a full nights sleep.  So, calorie burn on average is north of 4,000. But you can see I'm going over 5 miles a day on average, I'm doing my activities and all that stuff.  

Progress_Track_star.eee0f48b094cdde6dd5a Progress_Track_best_day.44023868937acb19 Progress_Track_star.eee0f48b094cdde6dd5a Progress_Track_star.eee0f48b094cdde6dd5a Progress_Track_star.eee0f48b094cdde6dd5a Progress_Track_star.eee0f48b094cdde6dd5a Progress_Track_55.11966274e1b077fbf4e184
spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7. spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7. spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7. spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7. spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7. spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7. spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7.
Mon. Best Day! 13,992 Wed. Thurs. Fri. Sat. Sun.
spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7.
footprints.5413deb0f4d204cd34dd587028d9b
75,101 total steps
Avg. 10,729 steps per day. spacer.2efb200ffaa61c74c12f3d26924f6bf7. 31,258 more than last week
total miles
total miles
 14.79 miles over last week
avg. daily calorie burn
avg. daily calorie burn
 615 cals. over last week
total active zone minutes
total active zone minutes
 37 min since last week
exercising this week
6 of  5 days
exercising this week
 2 days since last week
avg. restful sleep
6 hrs 45 min
avg. restful sleep
 0 hrs 21 min over last week
avg. hrs with 250+ steps
9 of  9 hrs
avg. hrs with 250+ steps
 4 hrs over last week
avg. resting heart rate
75 bpm
avg. resting heart rate
 3 bpm since last week
weight change
0.0 lb
no weight change
same as previous week
  • Hook 'Em 4

At 3500 calories to lose a pound I'm at a loss of about 16,000 calories over the last 5 days.  I'm up 2/10's when I should be down 5.  I will stop bitching about it now, b/c that's counter productive, but it's possible that there's more to all this then straight calories in and calories out and it's not all a math equation... which is what some people reduce it to when acting particularly dismissive about fat people.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

At 3500 calories to lose a pound I'm at a loss of about 16,000 calories over the last 5 days.  I'm up 2/10's when I should be down 5.  I will stop bitching about it now, b/c that's counter productive, but it's possible that there's more to all this then straight calories in and calories out and it's not all a math equation... which is what some people reduce it to when acting particularly dismissive about fat people.  

It'll come.  Once your body starts really using the fat as energy, it will keep doing it if you're running on a calorie deficit.  And then it can get roling.

As for gaining it back, my thoracic surgeon said it is very, very difficult to gain any weight.  I'm now at a point where I am forcing calories into me to avoid losing more.  My situation is a little different in that the location of my stomach is now in my chest instead of where it was, so there's little to no room to stretch out what I have left.  My quantity restriction will be permanent.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It'll come.  Once your body starts really using the fat as energy, it will keep doing it if you're running on a calorie deficit.  And then it can get roling.

As for gaining it back, my thoracic surgeon said it is very, very difficult to gain any weight.  I'm now at a point where I am forcing calories into me to avoid losing more.  My situation is a little different in that the location of my stomach is now in my chest instead of where it was, so there's little to no room to stretch out what I have left.  My quantity restriction will be permanent.

I'm really sorry to hear that for you.  Were you overweight before the cancer?  By a little?  By a lot?  Your story and many others make this seem proper size in it's perspective for me. Thanks for all you've shared. 

56 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm really sorry to hear that for you.  Were you overweight before the cancer?  By a little?  By a lot?  Your story and many others make this seem proper size in it's perspective for me. Thanks for all you've shared. 

Yeah, I was probably +/- 25 lbs overweight.  Not anymore.  And my ass has completely fallen off my backside.  I'm starting to look like I have old mass ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

271 even this morning, finally going the right way

my lunch and portions (it was a struggle to finish it all and took 30 minutes each meal- 2.5 hours apart- tuna at 10:30 and refried black beans and curry chicken salad at 1:00  was a roughly 750 calorie day with my breakfast and dinner considered- what you are looking at per my cookbook was roughly 250 calories and 40g of protein (whey protein mixed in) 

D097F8BD-3E85-4415-AB90-CE23420C120B.jpeg

81936C40-E644-416A-9082-719A9E4D5C63.jpeg

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Wu, throw your scale away for 2 weeks. I’m serious. Calories in/calories out is BULLSHIT of the highest order because it neglects hormonal changes. Calories in/out bro is literally a mouthbreathing okie humming boomer soooner and eating a bag of dicks. Hell, even zero cal sweeteners can throw your insulin levels into confusion.

Pretty soon your body chemistry will change and realize that it’s ok to shed weight, that you’re not in desert island super starvation mode. But it just takes time. Possibly up to 45-60 days. Speaking from experience here.

Way too many other biochemical variables. And you’re obsessing.

Eat your plan and have faith. IT WILL HAPPEN and you’ll laugh your ass off and tell me I was right. I’ve lost more weight while NOT exercising.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1