SEC Catch-all Thread

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Vertuzzi said:

3.5 minutes of my fucking life I’ll never get back. None of these SEC skits are funny. These people enjoy the same humour as a midwestern stay-at-home mom. Fucking brutal. Not looking forward to mingling with these Waffle House cunts, excluding Vanderbilt fans

you know how I know you dont watch college baseball?

1 hour ago, Vertuzzi said:

3.5 minutes of my fucking life I’ll never get back. None of these SEC skits are funny. These people enjoy the same humour as a midwestern stay-at-home mom. Fucking brutal. Not looking forward to mingling with these Waffle House cunts, excluding Vanderbilt fans. 

I bet you're fun at tailgates.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

SEC lands 4 coaches on ESPN's top-10 list for 2024 season

Grant Bricker | 17 hours ago

ESPN published a ranking of its top 10 head coaches for the 2024 season on Friday, and the SEC was very well represented.

The list was constructed by a vote from ESPN’s panel of college football experts. Kirby Smart, Kalen DeBoer, Steve Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin all made the cut. All of the current SEC coaches who made the list finished with at least 10 wins or more in 2023. DeBoer is new to the conference but reached the College Football Playoff final with Washington last season.

Kyle Whittingham, Dabo Swinney, Mike Norvell, Dan Lanning, Lance Leipold, and Ryan Day were the other coaches outside of the SEC who were on the list. Here’s where the SEC coaches inside the top 10 ranked:

Smart move putting Georgia’s coach at No. 1

Smart still claimed the top spot on the list despite a somewhat disappointing season in 2023. Georgia made it to the SEC Championship again only to have its dreams crushed by Nick Saban and Alabama in what would be his last season in Tuscaloosa.

The Bulldogs still finished at 13-1 and have lost just 2 games in the last 3 seasons. The program should be in good hands in 2024 in beyond with Smart still running the show, especially since veteran quarterback Carson Beck is returning for another season.

DeBoer entering Year 1 with high expectations

Coming in at No. 2 was DeBoer, and the expectations couldn’t be higher for the 1st-year head coach. Saban left a huge hole to fill at Alabama and DeBoer will have to follow a tough act.

One thing to give Alabama fans comfort is DeBoer’s resume. The former Washington head coach is a proven winner at multiple programs across the country. His most recent success was with the Huskies, where he only lost 3 games from 2022-2023.

Welcome to the SEC, Steve Sarkisian

The number of former Saban assistants in the SEC is set to grow with Sarkisian and the Longhorns joining the conference this fall.

Sarkisian came in at No. 7 after the Longhorns finally got over the hump in 2023 and won the Big 12. The team reached the College Football Playoff and lost in the semifinal to DeBoer and Washington. However, there is plenty to like about Texas with Quinn Ewers returning.

Sarkisian is 25-14 during his first 3 years as Texas’ head coach.

All aboard the Lane train

Kiffin was featured at No. 8 on ESPN’s list after Ole Miss’ 1st 11-win season in 2023. The question will be whether the team can finally challenge for an SEC title in 2024.

Kiffin prioritized the transfer portal and has a lot of returning talent coming back to Oxford in 2024, including quarterback Jaxson Dart. Ole Miss’ 2024 transfer class currently ranks No. 1 nationally, per 247Sports Composite rankings.

Kiffin has led Ole Miss to double-digit wins in 2 of its last 3 seasons.

Questionable snubs

The SEC coaches who were left off of the list raised some eyebrows as well. Missouri’s Eli Drinkwitz and LSU’s Brian Kelly didn’t make the cut despite their recent accolades.

Drinkwitz is coming off an 11-2 campaign and a Cotton Bowl victory over Ohio State. Kelly has produced great talents like Heisman winner Jayden Daniels, Biletnikoff finalist Malik Nabers, and Brian Thomas Jr. since coming to Baton Rouge in 2022.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39868452/ranking-top-10-coaches-college-football-2024

Edited by LTtxfan

In what game did one of our players throwing Horns to the crowd result in a taunting penalty? I don’t remember that ever happening.
I’m 57, BTW…
I thought it was after a couple of our players got flagged for doing the guns up at tortilla tech...but I've slept a few times (and untold gallons of alcohol) since then.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I thought we had gotten to 105K with the new SEZ renovation? Either way, whatever.

There's definitely a discrepancy.

image.png.8744252ae45eb14d7981b07c43cd56ac.png

image.thumb.png.5ee7321a3424aecc54c927ed45710e51.png

UT may not have published how many extra seats the SEZ added. 4500 were "expected." At the very least they didn't make it easy to locate the new capacity.

In May 2019, Texas Athletics broke ground on a major expansion project in the south endzone od Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium with team moving into their new facility in August 2021. Fans began enjoying all of the amenities associated with it when the Longhorns kicked off against Louisiana on Sept. 4. The $175 million stadium expansion project includes more than a 106,000-square-foot training facility footprint that provides significant upgrades to the Football coaches and staff offices, team areas, strength and development center and athletic training/medical facilities. It also will enhance the fan experience greatly with an end zone seating area of more than 4,500 seats, including more than 1,300 student seats. It includes the Founders Lounge, Myers-Dodds Legacy Club, Living Room and Loge Boxes, as well as a Field Club area right near the action that accommodates more than 800 people. Atop it all is a 160-foot by 44-foot videoboard to visually celebrate all of the action. The total gross square footage of the entire project is more than 215,000-square feet.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/24/facilities_0724133148.aspx?id=205

Edited by Chopper

listening to a postgame show of the LSU spring game while coding..

apparently they are calling for them to grab everyone at DT/DE in the portal..because what they have out there is shit..

also think that they will face much better DLs in conference..however the DL won't ever face as good as a group as their OL.. ????  This sounds eerily similar to what we said after chuck beat ND in Austin.. which we all found out..there were much better OL we actually faced in that shitastic season..

• 1 month later...

Interesting that Texas OU wasn't among these announcements. Might mean we're getting another 11am game.

ABC has announced kickoff times and TV for six additional college football matchups in 2024, which includes two neutral-site games.

ESPN previously announced a slate of games for the first couple of weeks of the season that included five contests on ABC. That announcement was made on Tuesday.

Games announced today include four SEC matchups, one SEC-ACC neutral-site game, and the American Championship Game.

Below are the games announced today (all times Eastern):

Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024
South Carolina at Kentucky – 3:30pm, ABC
Tennessee vs. NC State (in Charlotte) – 7:30pm, ABC

Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024
Texas A&M at Florida – 3:30pm, ABC
Georgia at Kentucky – 7:30pm ABC

Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024
Georgia at Alabama* – 7:30pm, ABC

Saturday, Nov. 2, 2024
Florida vs. Georgia – 3:30pm, ABC

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Interesting that Texas OU wasn't among these announcements. Might mean we're getting another 11am game.

Maybe, maybe not. My guess is it goes in the slot that provides the most return on their investment.

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Interesting that Texas OU wasn't among these announcements. Might mean we're getting another 11am game

With the exception of Florida-Georgia, all of the games they've announced so far are September games.

• 2 weeks later...

So the article is basically saying that a chance for a 4th SEC team, for next year’s playoffs, relies on a week one game vs aggy? Don’t hold your breath SEC, as aggy is going to aggy that game.

Hook’em!!!
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I don’t think I could give less of a fuck. Oh noes, the sex conference might not get aggy in a playoff because aggy sucks!  Fuck right off with that sec bullshit. This is why I didn’t want to join this bullshit. Whatever.  Show me a fucking loss. 

We gonna run it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Also, the fuck with that last bullet point?  If ND beats almighty aggy they’ll be vaulted to the top of the playoff list?  Yes, the juggernaut that is aggy that went…checks notes…7-6 last year. 

5 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:
  • If Irish beat the Aggies, they'll emerge as a top playoff contender, thanks in part to a favorable schedule that some SEC teams would envy

Crap called and said Noter Dame's schedule is stinky and offensive

48 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Also, the fuck with that last bullet point?  If ND beats almighty aggy they’ll be vaulted to the top of the playoff list?  Yes, the juggernaut that is aggy that went…checks notes…7-6 last year. 

See, this isn’t actually about aggy, they just happen to be one of maybe 3 games ND will have to be up for. FSU and USC are the only other teams that really have a shot.

So it’s not about aggy making the playoffs, or any other bullshit. It’s a slight at how fucking weak that schedule is, and that if one of those teams (aggy just happens to be the opener) can’t put a dent in their record, it could cost the conference a spot, which translates to less money. 

41 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

See, this isn’t actually about aggy, they just happen to be one of maybe 3 games ND will have to be up for. FSU and USC are the only other teams that really have a shot.

So it’s not about aggy making the playoffs, or any other bullshit. It’s a slight at how fucking weak that schedule is, and that if one of those teams (aggy just happens to be the opener) can’t put a dent in their record, it could cost the conference a spot, which translates to less money. 

Again, fuck the conference.  Just because aggy opened the door for recruiting in Texas for the SEC doesn’t mean they belong anywhere among the top teams in the nation, even if just by adjacency. 

Looking at the ND schedule, I count at least 3-4 teams that should put up as good of a fight as aggy. And that schedule blows. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fyi...  Bobby Burton is attending

Screenshot_20240527-133446_kindlephoto-18036164.png.8bd85415dc7e756c33345de5876161ae.png

image.png.0c588d6a4e25d9ee8879b8bf54e50f00.png

The new league year in the NFL starts in March when free agency agreements can be officially announced by organizations. College football operates differently. High school and transfer additions have been announced by schools, but a new year doesn’t really start until spring meetings take place. That is the sign that rosters are set and conferences are now looking ahead to the upcoming fall sports schedule.

The SEC will have their own fun in the sun this week in Destin.

Commissioner Greg Sankey, university presidents, athletic directors, head football coaches, head men’s basketball coaches, and more will all be on the scene throughout the week. In this year’s edition, there appears to be a lot to cover on the docket.

What storylines could emerge down on the beach this week? KSR is taking a closer look at some of the potential talking points we could see Sankey and some of the other members of the conference discuss once out of the board rooms.

House v. NCAA

Expect the settlement just reached in House v. NCAA to take up most of the oxygen this week. Major changes are coming to college athletics as the amateurism model officially died last week. But what does that look like?

Title IX, revenue-sharing, collectives, and scholarship limits will all be major talking points this week. How does the SEC plan to split the money between men’s and women’s sports? Where do athletic departments plan to get the revenue-sharing money, and how will the $20-22 million projected be spent? Where do collectives sit in all of this? With House v. NCAA calling for scholarship limits to be eliminated, does that mean there will no longer be walk-ons? Do we now have roster caps?

There is a ton to go over, and we might not get many clear answers this week, but the SEC and the other power conferences need to work quickly. A new structure will likely need to be in place come fall 2025. The new world is coming sooner rather than later.

Welcoming Oklahoma and Texas

The moves do not become official until July, but both schools will be represented by administrators and coaches this week. Greg Sankey’s first big expansion move is now a reality with Oklahoma and Texas joining the Southeastern Conference.

Expect the Sooners and Longhorns to get a ton of attention this week as the two massive college brands enter a new league with high expectations. Steve Sarkisian and Brent Venables will now get to sit in on their first in-person head coach meetings this week.

The Jaden Rashada lawsuit

Last week, a Georgia quarterback sued Florida’s head coach. Yes, you read that right. House v. NCAA will not be the only legal matter worth discussing this week.

Arizona State transfer Jaden Rashada committed to Georgia on April 25 and the former Florida signee filed a lawsuit less than a month later in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida claiming the Gators lied to get Rashada to flip his commitment from Miami.

Florida head coach Billy Napier, former Florida director of NIL and player engagement Marcus Castro-Walker, and booster Hugh Hathcock were named as defendants. The lawsuit will generate some buzz in Destin this week.

Expect Greg Sankey and members from Georgia and Florida to all be asked about Rashada’s suit this week. This feels like one of the most SEC stories of all time.

Future football schedules

Last year at the SEC Spring Meetings, discussions surrounding the future schedule were the No. 1 topic. The 8-game vs. 9-game battle got drug out into the summer after the members and SEC office could not come to an agreement. With ESPN not willing to add more money to the current media rights deal, the league decided to roll with a two-year plan that includes eight games with a rotating schedule and no divisions.

But changes are likely coming in 2026 with the College Football Playoff expanding to 14 teams. The revenue-sharing variable could also bring up the scheduling format.

An additional conference game could bring more revenue to everyone in the conference. There will also be more wiggle room for teams to get into the postseason once the playoff field expands to 14 teams. All current signs tell us that the SEC is heading to a nine-game conference schedule sooner rather than later.

Future schedule talk will not have spotlight coverage, but it will be an important part of this week. The conference needs to get a permanent schedule model locked in starting in 2026.

John Calipari at Arkansas

The SEC Spring Meetings are a football-driven event with much of the discourse surrounding what will happen on the gridiron, but that is not the only sport getting work done this week. The men’s basketball coaches will also make the trip to Destin and that will include some of the recent hires.

Mark Pope, Porter Moser (Oklahoma), Rodney Terry (Texas), and Mark Byington (Vanderbilt) will all make the trip to Destin for the first time. John Calipari will be making the same trip but with a different school logo on his polo.

The new Arkansas head coach will be representing a new team and that will bring a certain level of shock after a long run at Kentucky. These conference meetings will be yet another reality check moment for the Big Blue Nation and the individuals who cover the SEC. Calipari really left Kentucky for another school in the conference.

Do not be surprised to see Calipari on “The Paul Finebaum Show” discussing his new gig with Arkansas while also being asked a ton of questions about Kentucky.

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Again, fuck the conference.  Just because aggy opened the door for recruiting in Texas for the SEC doesn’t mean they belong anywhere among the top teams in the nation, even if just by adjacency. 

Looking at the ND schedule, I count at least 3-4 teams that should put up as good of a fight as aggy. And that schedule blows. 

I never said I agree with their statement. Simply explaining to those who couldn’t comprehend it.

The rest of what you said is also what I said. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

ESPN negotiating ploy or the league genuinely can’t get an unanimous vote? I’d guess the latter. aggy and the bottom half of the conference seem pretty dug in on maximizing cupcakes, home games and bowl eligibility. 

IIRC correctly the vote was…

Wanted 8: Bama, Aub, Ole Miss, Miss St, UK, Vandy, SC, Ark

Wanted 9: aggy, Mizzou, UF, UGA, LSU, Tenn + UT, OU who didn’t get a vote until July 2024.

With Alabama reportedly flipping to support the 9 games schedule and with Texas and Oklahoma having their votes counted the 9 game would have passed if it was on the docket. The SEC made a political move the extend the 8 game for a second season BEFORE UT/OU could vote to appease the members wishing to remain at 8, to see how this next season with the 12 team playoff plays out, and to try to push ESPN to pay out more money.

As much as I like shitting on aggy, they were actually one of the biggest supporters of a 9 game conference schedule as they knew if Texas only had a single rival it could play annually it would be Oklahoma. Similarly Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee’s vote were based on who they would or wouldn’t play in the 9 game schedule as well.

27 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

IIRC correctly the vote was…

Wanted 8: Bama, Aub, Ole Miss, Miss St, UK, Vandy, SC, Ark

Wanted 9: aggy, Mizzou, UF, UGA, LSU, Tenn + UT, OU who didn’t get a vote until July 2024.

With Alabama reportedly flipping to support the 9 games schedule and with Texas and Oklahoma having their votes counted the 9 game would have passed if it was on the docket. The SEC made a political move the extend the 8 game for a second season BEFORE UT/OU could vote to appease the members wishing to remain at 8, to see how this next season with the 12 team playoff plays out, and to try to push ESPN to pay out more money.

As much as I like shitting on aggy, they were actually one of the biggest supporters of a 9 game conference schedule as they knew if Texas only had a single rival it could play annually it would be Oklahoma. Similarly Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee’s vote were based on who they would or wouldn’t play in the 9 game schedule as well.

I don’t believe aggy’s public statements supporting 9 games for one GD second. They’d potentially get to duck an annual game with Texas, load up on cupcakes, and guarantee at least 8 home games every year. 

If aggy was really in support and Bama truly flipped, they could have pushed 9 games through in a vote. 

I get waiting until Texas and OU could vote it on it. It’s a pretty big decision, and important for every school to vote. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t believe aggy’s public statements supporting 9 games for one GD second. They’d potentially get to duck an annual game with Texas, load up on cupcakes, and guarantee at least 8 home games every year. 

If aggy was really in support and Bama truly flipped, they could have pushed 9 games through in a vote. 

I get waiting until Texas and OU could vote it on it. It’s a pretty big decision, and important for every school to vote. 

They couldn’t wait until July 2024 for the vote on 2024’s schedule. They could have waited on 2025 but again that was a political move.

According to Chris Low at ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/37773646/sec-schedule-eight-games-2024

Which schools were pushing for eight and which were pushing for nine?

Low: Texas A&M was the school most aggressively pushing to play nine games. Florida, Georgia, LSU and Missouri also publicly favored nine games, while some schools remained on the fence. Alabama's Nick Saban had long been a proponent for playing nine games but wasn't on board with the Tide having to play Auburn, LSU and Tennessee every year because he felt that would create an uneven playing field if other teams' permanent foes weren't as strong. Kentucky and South Carolina were among the teams in favor of eight. Kentucky cited having to already play rival Louisville every year out of conference, and South Carolina's concerns were similar. The Gamecocks face Clemson every year out of conference.

8 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

They couldn’t wait until July 2024 for the vote on 2024’s schedule. They could have waited on 2025 but again that was a political move.

According to Chris Low at ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/37773646/sec-schedule-eight-games-2024

Chris Low is usually pretty solid, I get it. But I’ll reserve the right to think aggy is full of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1