SEC Catch-all Thread

LTtxfan

ILSU fan doesn’t like the corn dog moniker, but it’s not exactly fighting words. LSU fan trigger list in order: 

1) LSU has shitty academics

2) aggy is a better school 

3) Officiating when they play Bama

4) SEC Scheduling 

5) Flavor of the month SEC tinfoil hat conspiracies 

6) Being told they smell like a corn dog.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

ILSU fan doesn’t like the corn dog moniker, but it’s not exactly fighting words. LSU fan trigger list in order: 

1) LSU has shitty academics

2) aggy is a better school 

3) Officiating when they play Bama

4) SEC Scheduling - waaaaaa play Florida waaaaaaa

5) Flavor of the month SEC tinfoil hat conspiracies 

6) Being told they smell like a corn dog.

It's all true and they're pussies!

Spoiler

That have been fucked with a corndog

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know I need to learn a whole new language when it comes to talking shit about all the new teams in the sandbox. I'm way behind & I gotta start cramming. Where does the LSU Corndog thing come from?

Edited by wood
... because I can't type for shit

2 minutes ago, wood said:

OK, I know I need to learn a whole new language when it comes to talking shit about all the new teams in the sandbox. I'm way behind & I gotta start cramming. Where does the LSU Corndog thing come from?

Read as far as you can.

https://bamahammer.com/2011/10/31/the-corndog-story-lsus-nickname-explained/

• Haha 2

Thanks. LMFAO. That dude's funny AF. 

"Gee, I wonder if I took a bite of your finger, if you would taste just like a corn dog?”; or “Is this a real person or is it a giant corn dog trying to make me think it is a real person?” or “What did that giant corn dog just say?” or “Excuse me, Mister, why is it that you smell just exactly like corn dogs smell?” or, of course, after a silencer: “Madam, did you just let the corn dogs out?”

So, yeah. Corndog smell. Check. Now I'm off to find more SEC oddities and lore to stick in my brain. 

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This might fit in aggy thread too but leaving here... rumor is he's at minimum been suspended, very possible that he's been kicked off the team. That aggy class was nothing short of a disaster that cost a lot of boosters some serious wasted coin (in addition to still having to pay jimbo for it).

He’s gone

I'm not sure which thread we're supposed to talk Bama in, but it appears that while Bama might have been hoping that Simpson would take the job, he's struggled and hasn't done enough to win the job. They apparently gave true freshman Dylan Longergan (over Eli Holstein, surprisingly) some reps with the first team this week to see if he'd catch on, but it appears that it's trending towards Milroe winning the job, at least early in the season 

There's a decent chance we see a running game featuring a running QB to give them a +1 running constraint, with an RPO passing game tacked on to make it simple and hopefully give Milroe easy throws. 

Against our two deep quarters defense, it's unlikely they'd break many explosive plays, but with the +1 in the run game, they'd probably be able to get positive yardage and move the ball some, but what happens when they eventually run into negative plays or incompletes? How many long drives can they sustain? How many times can Milroe run it? This scenario is where Catalon is important. He's elite at triggering from depth in the run game. 

While Milroe is a good runner, I don't think he's a special one, and he was turnover prone last year

I think this approach makes sense if Simpson and the freshmen aren't ready yet. Run Milroe and Buckner a lot early in the season to give your offense some floor until one of the others is ready to take over to give your offense some ceiling 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Fud said:

I'm not sure which thread we're supposed to talk Bama in, but it appears that while Bama might have been hoping that Simpson would take the job, he's struggled and hasn't done enough to win the job. They apparently gave true freshman Dylan Longergan (over Eli Holstein, surprisingly) some reps with the first team this week to see if he'd catch on, but it appears that it's trending towards Milroe winning the job, at least early in the season 

There's a decent chance we see a running game featuring a running QB to give them a +1 running constraint, with an RPO passing game tacked on to make it simple and hopefully give Milroe easy throws. 

Against our two deep quarters defense, it's unlikely they'd break many explosive plays, but with the +1 in the run game, they'd probably be able to get positive yardage and move the ball some, but what happens when they eventually run into negative plays or incompletes? How many long drives can they sustain? How many times can Milroe run it? This scenario is where Catalon is important. He's elite at triggering from depth in the run game. 

While Milroe is a good runner, I don't think he's a special one, and he was turnover prone last year

I think this approach makes sense if Simpson and the freshmen aren't ready yet. Run Milroe and Buckner a lot early in the season to give your offense some floor until one of the others is ready to take over to give your offense some ceiling 

Yeah "Bully Ball" running game will definitely be part of bama gameplan vs Texas.

Don't be surprised to see bama passing game similar to what was used whem McElroy was Bama QB. 

Better cover the RBs and TEs off of play action...

Watched replay of LSU/Burrow vs Bama. Talking heads noted the Tigahs doing exactly what DC Aranda wanted: hit the QB early, hard, and often... later, he's not going to try - or be able - to scramble or run, and he won't be holding the ball for very long. As opposed to our D, for wayyyy too long, pressuring the QB, but not getting any meaningful hits at all. 

CFP must be reconsidered amid realignment, SEC commish says

Chris Low, ESPN    Aug 21st

As the winds of change continue to swirl in college athletics, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said more change is coming, particularly with regard to college football's postseason format, and reiterated that the SEC would not be reactionary to what the Big Ten or any other conference is doing.

"Right now, you put it in bold letters that things are going to change. Period," Sankey told ESPN in a recent interview. "And we're all going to have to be prepared to deal with that change. Period."

Sankey, one of 10 FBS commissioners who oversee the College Football Playoff along with Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, is convinced that the 12-team format, which he helped author and which was agreed upon for the 2024 season, needs to be reexamined. Per that format, the six highest-ranked conference champions by the playoff committee would make the playoff, along with the next six highest-ranked teams. The four highest-ranked conference champions would earn the top seeds and a first-round bye.

But with the Pac-12 soon down to four teams with Oregon and Washington heading to the Big Ten and Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado leaving for the Big 12, Sankey said "we need to rethink" the playoff model with college football's landscape changing so dramatically. There's also a push by some to get Cal and Stanford in the ACC, and Florida State's president has said the Seminoles will look to leave the ACC if they don't receive a larger portion of the revenue being generated in that league.

"The circumstances have changed, and we need to reconsider the format," Sankey said. "I'm not convinced we need to reconsider the number of teams, and I've been clear that I would have been OK with an eight-team playoff with no conference champion access. That wasn't, if you will, politically tenable within the group. So as we continued to look at the models, we came up with the six-and-six model. But, again, the circumstances have changed in a meaningful way, and my inclination is we need to reexamine the current format."

The FBS commissioners will meet next week in Dallas and then again in September in Chicago. The SEC is the only conference to have had a team in the playoff every year since its inception in the 2014 season.

Sankey emphasized that the SEC would have been OK had the four-team format with no automatic qualifiers remained in place, but also acknowledged a responsibility to be as inclusive as possible.

"We're adding Oklahoma and Texas, and we're not going to have fewer teams involved in the postseason with the addition of those two historic programs to our current 14," Sankey said. "We could stay at four and we could stay at the four best teams, and that is just a straightforward representation of our attitude.

"But the idea of 12 creates a balance. I think all of that's an indication of a willingness to support the game more broadly than just one conference's interests. If it was just one conference's interests, I could have been obstinate that we stay at four as long as we wanted and then let's go negotiate Year 13 [2026] and beyond as opposed to try and continue to grow the game and bring people into the national championship."

Mississippi State president Mark Keenum, who is the chair of the CFP board of managers, proposed a 12-team format with no automatic qualifiers last summer, but that proposal did not receive enough votes to pass.

"We spent a lot of time and discussion when we started down this path on how to get beyond four," Keenum told ESPN. "My position was that I wanted the top 12 teams. I understand there's great prestige being a major conference champion. At the end of the day, though, it depends on where they're ranked. We want to make sure we have the best teams competing in our nation's playoff to determine the champion.

"So, that's where I've been. But again, as you work through something like this, you have to be willing to make compromises. Now, we're going forward with all the shifting of schools among conferences, and I don't think any of us know what the playoff will look like from 2024 on."

As change comes to the playoff -- and whatever the model looks like -- Sankey is unconcerned about any lingering accusations that the committee has shown bias toward SEC schools.

"Well, it was 65-7 last year (Georgia beating TCU in the championship game), and the year before, we had two teams in the national championship, and I think there were two pretty decisive victories in the semifinals," Sankey said. "So at least from an SEC perspective, when we've had access, we've proven the wisdom of the selection committee."

Sankey said jokingly that he uses the old antiperspirant television commercial with his staff about "never let them see you sweat" whenever the changing landscape in college athletics is discussed in any detail. But that said, he's adamant that the SEC doesn't feel any pressure to expand just because the Big Ten or Big 12 have ventured out west.

"In the current circumstance, to be very direct, we don't feel pressure to go to some number, the notion of having a presence in all four time zones," Sankey said. "I mean, we are a presence in all four time zones. In fact, we go from time zone to time zone around the world and people have interest. I've had emails this week from the United Kingdom about accessing our games."

Asked directly whether other schools had reached out to the SEC during this recent wave of shuffling, Sankey said, "No, not really. I would not say that. I'm never one that puts out there what happens or who we might be or might not be hearing from. I'll answer it by saying I'm fully aware of what's happening around us."

In the past, Sankey said the SEC would always be willing to listen if there were schools available that created value. But he stressed that value goes far beyond dollars and cents.

"What we've done in the past is an education to the future, and that's add philosophically aligned universities that are committed to supporting national championship-caliber programs, both of which academically and athletically are of the highest levels in this country," Sankey said. "So we know who we are, and we're comfortable in that."

Sankey said he has watched with interest as the discussion has ramped up about the hardships teams will likely encounter when they start making cross-country trips to play games, especially the Olympic sports if they're traveling during the week.

"I sit and I watch the commentary about all that, and it's almost like the 'Forrest Gump' lady, 'Hey, we're over here,'" Sankey said. "There was an article about the college basketball coaches saying, 'Hey, leave us alone in this thing, and why do we have to be lumped in with football and this geographical shift?'

"And I'm like, 'Hey, we're over here. Our deal works pretty darn well.' So, it's nice to see people talking about everybody else.'"

https://global.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38233367/cfp-reconsidered-amid-realignment-sec-commish-says

On 8/14/2023 at 8:44 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This might fit in aggy thread too but leaving here... rumor is he's at minimum been suspended, very possible that he's been kicked off the team. That aggy class was nothing short of a disaster that cost a lot of boosters some serious wasted coin (in addition to still having to pay jimbo for it).

So Harris returned to practice on Saturday, and Kelly hasn’t said shit about a suspension. Keep on keeping on LSU. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pete Jenkins age 82,  begins to work his magic for LSU

Story by Jeff Palermo     9 hrs ago

The 82-year-old Pete Jenkins would be the first to admit he might not have a ton of energy, but he has a lot of wisdom. It can’t hurt to have the legendary defensive line coach working with an LSU defense that needs help.

LSU hired Jenkins as an analyst on Sunday and defensive tackle Mekhi Wingo said on Tuesday night that’s he’s already dishing out his knowledge.

“Definitely just got to clean up our eyes and focusing on getting off the ball and crowding the ball more and really being disruptive in the backfield and making it easier for the linebackers that’s the emphasis this week and that’s what we plan on doing in this game,” said Wingo.

Coach Brian Kelly reached out to Jenkins on Monday after watching his defense allow a school record 706 yards in Saturday’s wild 55-49 loss to Ole Miss.

Going into the game, the Tigers were expected to exploit a struggling Rebels offensive line. Instead, Ole Miss kept knocking LSU’s defensive line back. Ole Miss ran 88 plays and the Bayou Bengals only had six tackles for a loss.

LSU can’t feel sorry for itself, because they are heading on the road again this Saturday to face an undefeated Missouri team that’s playing with confidence.

Mizzou is getting excellent play from its quarterback Brady Cook. The junior from St. Louis is completing 74% of his passes for 1,488 yards, 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions. In fact, he holds the SEC record for most passes without an interception, 326.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/pete-jenkins-begins-to-work-his-magic-for-lsu/ar-AA1hGpxu

-------------------------------------------

Point, Counterpoint: Missouri sees LSU's move, raises the stakes with esteemed veteran coach

The Tigers, off to their best start under Eli Drinkwitz, bringing in veteran J.B. Grimes

img_2213.webp

The Southeastern Conference's 'Clash of the Tigers' this week -- No. 23 LSU, already with two losses, at No. 21 and undefeated Missouri -- is bringing some interesting subplots.

Earlier this week, with his defensive coming off a school-record-worst performance, LSU coach Brian Kelly added veteran defensive assistant Pete Jenkins to the Tigers's staff to improve the Tigers defensive line play before their impending trip to Columbia, Missouri.

The host Tigers, 5-0 and already with an high-quality non-conference win against Kansas State, have made their countermove.

Missouri is bringing in veteran assistant coach J.B. Grimes to assist with the Tigers's offensive line.

In Grimes, Missouri and coach Eli Drinkwitz add an extremely well-regarded veteran presence with coaching stops at multiple SEC and Power 5 programs, including among them Auburn, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Virginia Tech.

Missouri quarterback Brady Cook is one of the nation's most efficient passers; he's dazzled this season by playing turnover-free football and just last month, Drinkwitz blasted fans of the Missouri program who had booed Cook amidst one of the team's wins.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:33 AM, msucolt45 said:

Uh - must have a small vocabulary, as there’s many different words to get your point across, without using profanity. This is one of the reasons I hate going to NFL games.

Know your “surroundings” and good on Ned Flanders.

Hook’em!!!

Actually, studies have shown that people who cuss tend to be more intelligent, asshole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bamachine said:

Instead of creating a thread for this, thought I would just drop it in here...Rick...

Thanks, Chine and well done, gents. Destin resembles Bobby Petrino too much to suit me, especially today. Was the Texas beat down a watershed like the 2010 Rose Bowl? Time will tell, brothers and sisters. Refreshing to see thoughtful words expressed on this topic. 

20 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

It’s a joke. Don’t believe everything you read on he internet. 

I figured there's some rowdy and some not like most everywhere else.  Texas and GT are on bye next week.  I'm hoping UGA-Vanderbilt tickets are cheap and the schedule is clear next week for a noon game.

19 hours ago, JBJ said:

I figured there's some rowdy and some not like most everywhere else.  Texas and GT are on bye next week.  I'm hoping UGA-Vanderbilt tickets are cheap and the schedule is clear next week for a noon game.

They’ll be cheap and it will be 90% UGA people. 

Nash is a fun trip.