SEC Catch-all Thread

LTtxfan

Aggy at #7 seems generous...

AL.com’s SEC football power rankings for Week 8 of 2023: League’s top teams sweat it out a bit

1. jawja
  2. bama
  3. lane's rebels
  4. bayou kitties
  5. puke orange vols
  6. mizzu
  7. aggy milkguys
  8. bourbon & horses land
  9. swamp gata's
  10. cocks
  11. awwburrnnn
  12. hawgs
  13. cowbell ringers
  14. vandy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/al-com-s-sec-football-power-rankings-for-week-8-of-2023-league-s-top-teams-sweat-it-out-a-bit/ar-AA1ii7bM

On 10/15/2023 at 1:15 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

So Florida played and won the last of the games they should win. I think they’re staring down the barrel of 5 game losing streak. Maybe it’s enough to pry Mack loose and keep Robinson away from Sunbelt Billy. 

It's gonna suck, but I think we win at least one more.   I think the bad news if you're hoping to poach recruits is that Florida is playing freshman everywhere.  While the W/Ls won't be awesome, Billy has proven he puts the best players out and PT is available...  along with the $$$ 

1 minute ago, locodos said:

It's gonna suck, but I think we win at least one more.   I think the bad news if you're hoping to poach recruits is that Florida is playing freshman everywhere.  While the W/Ls won't be awesome, Billy has proven he puts the best players out and PT is available...  along with the $$$ 

Jefferson hasn’t been good since the Texas game, and y’all are getting piggy at home. Probably a win.

Nick Saban indicates the SEC is about to make a huge mistake

A comment on his coach's show Thursday night indicates the SEC may be implementing a 7-1 scheduling model that reduce the importance of a number of historic rivalries.

ZACH BARNETT       OCT 13, 2023

With Texas and Oklahoma coming aboard next season and the divisional structure going away, the SEC has a decision to make: continue with an 8-game league schedule but say goodbye to many rivalry games being played on an annual basis, or move to a 9-game schedule, preserve every important rivalry, but in the process ensure eight SEC teams lose one more game per season.

So far, the conference has kicked the can down the road, this summer announcing an 8-game slate for the 2024 season, with a final decision for 2025 and beyond to come at some point between today and Aug. 30, 2025.

And if Nick Saban's comments are any indication, it seems the SEC is leaning toward the wrong decision -- at least in terms of staging the largest number of interesting games possible.

Now, the comment came nearly an hour into Saban's weekly coaches show, and it was a response to a question that wasn't even about the SEC's future scheduling format. Guest Dusty Dvoracek, an ESPN analyst and a former Oklahoma defensive lineman, asked Saban's opinion about the oncoming addition of the Red River rivals, and in turn Saban praised how the SEC has expanded by adding quality programs without changing its geographic footprint.

He then said this: 

"The way we're going to do our 7-team, 1-team fixed, you're going to play everybody every four years, so almost every guy at your school is going to get to play every team in your conference."

Again, this is far from official, official confirmation. But the way Saban speaks matter-of-factly, and the fact that he's likely to be kept informed of internal league deliberations, certainly indicates the SEC is leaning toward a 1-7 format, rather than 3-6.

In a 1-7 format, the following rivalries would not be played annually:

• Alabama-Tennessee
  • Florida-Tennessee
  • Auburn-Georgia
  • LSU-Ole Miss
  • Texas-Texas A&M
  • Texas-Arkansas

Ironic, considering preserving the Auburn-Georgia and Alabama-Tennessee rivalries are a large reason why the SEC employed a 6-1-1 format (six divisional games, one permanent inter-division game, one rotating inter-division game) from 2012 through this season. That format is responsible for the astounding fact that Georgia will somehow visit Texas, joining the SEC in 2024, before it visits Texas A&M, despite the Aggies joining the SEC in 2012.

(And, by the way: Each SEC team would still play the other 15 at least once in a 4-year period in a 3-6 format as well.)

The root of the issue, it seems, is a common one: money.

If the SEC were to move from an 8-game schedule to nine, some within the conference have argued they would like to be compensated for what they rightly believe is additional value for its television partner, ESPN. So far, ESPN has not indicated it would pay up for more SEC games.

“I may be saying more than Commissioner Sankey would want me to say, but obviously if you go to a nine-game schedule, you have to be compensated for going to a nine-game schedule,” Georgia President Jere Morehead said back in May. “There’s still some dynamics that have to play out with our media partners.”

Sankey has downplayed the financial significance of eight games versus nine. "Money will follow," he said around the same time. "It doesn't lead."

For what it's worth, Saban has been generally in favor of a 9-game format, but complained that Alabama's three proposed permanent rivals (Auburn, LSU, Tennessee) were unfairly difficult.

If his comments Thursday night were any indication, it seems Saban's complaints were heard.

Calling' out his players... good luck Shane 😋

South Carolina's Shane Beamer says Gamecocks' defense does not run the plays called

After loss to Florida, Shane Beamer says "We call pressures, and we don't run them"

JOHN BRICE          OCT 15, 2023

At home, with the Cockabooses presumably rocking pre-game and its season at something of a juncture point, South Carolina constructed a 10-point, fourth-quarter lead Saturday against visiting Florida. 

Then something happened on the way to what would have been a season-leveling win: Shane Beamer's South Carolina Gamecocks melted down.

Down 37-27 with less than five minutes to play, Florida rallied for an 41-39 victory that gave second-year Gators coach Billy Napier wins this season against key SEC Eastern Division foes South Carolina and Tennessee.

Beamer, meanwhile, had his record atop the Gamecocks in Year 3 downgraded to just 17-15 overall and a scuffling 2-4 on this season. South Carolina has just one win in 2023 against an Football Bowls Subdivision opponent.

By game's end, Beamer lamented his team's execution -- or the lack of it. 

"I saw the main problem, we call pressures and we don’t run them," Beamer bemoaned. "We play man coverage and didn’t do a great job of keeping leverage. Just in the first half alone, we ran a pressure where the corner came and for some reason he stopped. 

"And we gave up an explosive pass because we didn’t continue to run the pressure. We had another pressure call where we didn’t run it in the first half. We had a holding penalty in the secondary in the first half. We had another pressure on third down backed up where we were going to be off the field in the first half and we didn’t execute it properly."

Beamer only was getting cranked up after the Gamecocks were gashed for 494 yards, 28 first downs and let Florida's offense rest on field for almost 33 minutes. 

"We talk to our guys about not jumping around the quarterback; we jumped and got beat on a pump-fake," Beamer said. "We had an offsides in the first half. Just did not play clean football and then at the end of the day, we had some calls that were perfect calls. We ran an edge pressure; if somebody had said a team is getting ready to run a reverse, what would be the perfect call? You would bring both people off the edge. We had a perfect call sometimes and their guy made the play and we didn’t. 

"We got good kids in that room, they’re going to continue to make those plays. We’ve got to continue to do a better job coaching them and putting them in position."

This season, the Gamecocks are running out of time to make said plays. South Carolina still has road games left at Missouri and Texas A&M, as well as home dates against Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Clemson, as well as FBS-transition program Jacksonville State. 

Beamer breaks his own foot

“I broke my foot on Saturday, so I’d rather just get it out there and say it and not have you all speculating and then after the game on Saturday in Missouri you ask,” Beamer said with a smile. “I called [athletic director Ray Tanner], told him, made sure he was OK with it and he died laughing when I told him so obviously there’s not a lot of empathy from him.”

“It was after the game and certainly that was a gut-wrenching, emotional loss and I was frustrated and kicked something I shouldn’t have kicked and thought I was OK but the adrenaline from the game wore off and before anyone starts the narrative like, ‘the head football coach is frustrated and lost his poise and all that.’ No, I care. And I care about these kids and I was really upset on Saturday night because I didn’t do enough to help them get over the hump and win the football game. Don’t think I have to have surgery but there is a broken bone in my foot, it hurts like you-know-what but I’ve got to show toughness and fight through it. Been one of those years.”

• Haha 1

'Frustrated' Shane Beamer broke foot after South Carolina loss

Shane-Beamer3.png

Chris Low, ESPN   Oct 17, 2023

South Carolina coach Shane Beamer broke a bone in his right foot when he kicked something in frustration after his team squandered a 10-point, fourth-quarter lead Saturday and lost 41-39 at home to Florida.

Beamer limped into his weekly news conference Tuesday but doesn't expect to have surgery.

"It was after the game, and certainly that was a gut-wrenching and emotional loss," Beamer told reporters. "I was frustrated and kicked something I shouldn't have kicked and thought I was OK, and then the adrenaline of the game wore off."

The Gamecocks (2-4, 1-3 in the SEC), who have been beset with injuries, are off to their worst start since Beamer arrived in 2021.

"Before anyone starts the narrative like the head football coach is frustrated and lost his poise and all that -- no, I care. I care about these kids, and I was really upset on Saturday night because I didn't do enough to help them get over the hump and win the football game," said Beamer, who guided the Gamecocks to winning records in each of his first two seasons.

"It hurts like you-know-what, but I've got to show toughness and fight through it. Been one of those years."

Beamer, never shy about showing emotion or passion, said his athletic director, Ray Tanner, "died laughing" when Beamer told Tanner he had broken his foot.

"It's like I told the players. I don't condone it and not saying it's OK to kick things after the game. I feel bad as a dad. My kids saw me, and they were like, 'What the heck?' So, lesson learned. Stupid on my part."

In keeping with the injury theme on the team this season, Beamer joked that he was "very probable" for Saturday's game at Missouri.

"The problem will be not being on any kind of pain medication ... because I'll be loopy if I'm on pain medication," said Beamer, adding that he needs to be focused to make the calls.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...

Ohio State usually rules the ratings. I know their waste of a game against Rutgers beat our game against TCU in the same window on OTA channels. I think games for Ohio State and Michigan with the new teams like USC will do well. Fox really was smart in making 11am a huge window where there's not a lot of competition. I'm sure the fan bases hate it but it was a smart move. I'm sure ABC will follow suit next year with making more competitive games be at that window. 

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

Ohio State usually rules the ratings. I know their waste of a game against Rutgers beat our game against TCU in the same window on OTA channels. I think games for Ohio State and Michigan with the new teams like USC will do well. Fox really was smart in making 11am a huge window where there's not a lot of competition. I'm sure the fan bases hate it but it was a smart move. I'm sure ABC will follow suit next year with making more competitive games be at that window. 

Ohio State and Michigan are a class onto themselves. They can play Rutgers and pull 4 million OTA almost without fail.

Cowherd acting like Oregon, Washington, or even USC will do that now just because they are Big Ten is dumb. Yes, the big games will get bigger but ultimately nobody watches bad West Coast football and that not going to change because they swap Arizona schools for Indiana ones not named Notre Dame.

If they Big Ten truly schedules OSU/USC, Michigan/UCLA, Penn State/Oregon, and Nebraska/Washington all on a single day they absolutely would dominate that day in the ratings, but you can’t pull that off every week. The goal of setting the schedule will be to get 2-3 quality matchups for their OTA partners FOX/CBS/NBC but that’s not going to be possible every week. Someone will get stuck with Iowa/Michigan State or Wisconsin/Purdue.

Until the Big Ten gets Notre Dame, the SEC still has the advantage. Adding ND would give them 3 bonafide bluebloods that can draw in a every window every week plus plenty of second tier options that could fill a 4th OTA spot and a late night kick.

Still I think the quality will hold up well enough for the SEC. The SEC has 8 teams that have won BCS/CFP titles, the Big Ten even with 18 doesn’t even have 8 different  teams that have made the CFP/BCSNCG.

Adding Texas/OU is also going to have a compounding effect on SEC ratings, Far more of our fans will now watch a game like UGA/Mizzou or Bama/UK than ever have before. They got a taste of the Texas market with aggy/LSU/Arkansas, but now they’ll get a lot more (and Texas/OU’s rating will likely see a bump as well).

The Big Ten may be better positioned with OTA slots and media markets, but the SEC has the better recruiting and football success. I don’t think either conference will fail so I think Cowherd’s take is relatively meaningless.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some time today looking the 2024 conference schedule. Mizzou and Georgia not playing each other is a bit of a head scratcher. A rematch at Misery would have been a really good top 10 matchup next year. 

I’m pretty happy with how our schedule right now. Georgia and OU might be the only ranked teams next year. 

On 11/24/2023 at 7:48 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I spent some time today looking the 2024 conference schedule. Mizzou and Georgia not playing each other is a bit of a head scratcher. A rematch at Misery would have been a really good top 10 matchup next year. 

I’m pretty happy with how our schedule right now. Georgia and OU might be the only ranked teams next year. 

Is Mizzou supposed to be good next year?

I thought they were top loaded with super seniors this season, though i really haven't looked in depth at who they bring back.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@gatormarc what happened with UF and Raymond? Yes the UF defense is terrible, but Raymond appears to still have his fastball in recruiting. 

Not sure exactly. It's not who I thought would be first on the chopping block.

Defense definitely struggled but we had a lot of really young guys out there and they were usually in the right place, just not making the plays. Then injuries made things a lot worse.

Gonna make it a lot harder to hold onto Filsaime on ESD too.

39 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm still trying to figure out what CBS was thinking by letting the SEC go away over what's probably the 2nd or 3rd best Big 10 matchup every week.

I believe in 2016 the SEC approached CBS and asked them to rework their deal. I believe CBS was paying $7 million for every 230 game. CBS declined.

The SEC responded by telling CBS they wouldn’t consider their bid when the current deal expired. 

ESPN wisely didn’t bid against themselves and got a pretty good deal. 

45 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm still trying to figure out what CBS was thinking by letting the SEC go away over what's probably the 2nd or 3rd best Big 10 matchup every week.

It had to do with CBS owning more stations in Big Ten areas versus SEC areas, but yes still seems like they fucked up here.

edit: found the report

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-the-bitter-split-between-the-sec-and-cbs-they-just-dug-their-heels-in-they-would-not-move-144745854.html?guccounter=1

CBS stands to earn more revenue on the deal with the Big Ten, he said, because the network has more owned and operated stations in that league’s footprint, such as Chicago, Detroit and Minneapolis.

Edited by TKthunder2

On 12/1/2023 at 3:16 PM, TKthunder2 said:

It had to do with CBS owning more stations in Big Ten areas versus SEC areas, but yes still seems like they fucked up here.

edit: found the report

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-the-bitter-split-between-the-sec-and-cbs-they-just-dug-their-heels-in-they-would-not-move-144745854.html?guccounter=1

Plus B10 has more large TV markets in three time zones so financially it makes some sense.

• New York
  • Chicago
  • LA
  • Seattle
  • Detroit
  • San Francisco & San Diego (they watch usc/ucla and wash/oregon)

Georgia gets a bye after they play us, not before...which is nice.

2024 Georgia Football Schedule

• 08/31 – Clemson (in Atlanta)
  • 09/07 – Tennessee Tech
  • 09/14 – at Kentucky*
  • 09/21 – OFF
  • 09/28 – at Alabama*
  • 10/05 – Auburn*
  • 10/12 – Mississippi State*
  • 10/19 – at Texas*
  • 10/26 – OFF
  • 11/02 – Florida* (in Jacksonville)
  • 11/09 – at Ole Miss*
  • 11/16 – Tennessee*
  • 11/23 – UMass
  • 11/30 – Georgia Tech

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Georgia gets a bye after they play us, not before...which is nice.

2024 Georgia Football Schedule

• 08/31 – Clemson (in Atlanta)
  • 09/07 – Tennessee Tech
  • 09/14 – at Kentucky*
  • 09/21 – OFF
  • 09/28 – at Alabama*
  • 10/05 – Auburn*
  • 10/12 – Mississippi State*
  • 10/19 – at Texas*
  • 10/26 – OFF
  • 11/02 – Florida* (in Jacksonville)
  • 11/09 – at Ole Miss*
  • 11/16 – Tennessee*
  • 11/23 – UMass
  • 11/30 – Georgia Tech

8 straight conference games for jawja

4 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

Well, yeah, but two byes sprinkled in there.  Clemson and GT as OOC opponents looks better on paper than it will likely be next year.

So are ucf and miami. If Travis doesn’t return, fsu won’t be good. 

Clempson will be preseason top 15 if not 10. Tech will be much better and may be ranked by the time we play them. Our schedule is just as tough as UF’s. 

If not tougher.