2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Ichabod said:

Just to give y’all a heads up on Evan. Evan is actually one of my best friends and he is struggling right now with chronic kidney failure. He was in the hospital in Denver last week and had two chest stints installed in his right pectoral area for dialysis. Doctors said he’ll need two new kidneys eventually, sooner than later. Evan is not on drugs nor alcohol. As long as I’ve known him he’s always eaten clean and continued to exercise. His two main addictions in life after baseball are golf and skiing. I have no clue what caused the Twitter outburst, y’all please keep him in your prayers. 

damn, hope knows that a lot of fans are pulling for him 

So, for some of you who have been dooming about this team, after Sunday and Monday I came up with the following:

win 2 out of every 3 of Brown, Framber and Javier starts

Split the Urquidy and Garcia starts.

That's a 97 win season.  Conceptualizing it like that seems doable.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

OH lord- this lineup tonight. Blah.  

Meyers, Maldy and Dubon at the ass end. 

To be fair, Dubon has actually been hitting really well lately. I'd say continue to play him while he's hot (especially because he's going to play even if he's not, unfortunately).

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean he does nothing else above average, he's horrible at hitting, he's horrible at blocking pitches, he's ok at throwing runners out and he's an average pitch framer.

Below average pitch framer. This is part of why the astros are always on the wrong end of horsefuckery by the umps.  That can't happen if he's an average framer.  

Abreu's power numbers dropped down last year and it's continuing so far this year so if goes on much longer, it's just how it is.  Chas has the 3rd highest SLG on the team right now.  The Astros honestly can't afford to keep his bat out of the lineup.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Abreu's power numbers dropped down last year and it's continuing so far this year so if goes on much longer, it's just how it is.  Chas has the 3rd highest SLG on the team right now.  The Astros honestly can't afford to keep his bat out of the lineup.

Yeah but last year that crazy asshole in Chicago brought in a hitting instructor who wanted to make sure that the sox hit less HR for reasons, and Abreu's exit velo's and the like were all similar to career averages his launch angle was just down.  So, the hope was getting away from that nonsense he'd bounce back. IF he doesn't it's going to be a long 3 years on that contract. 

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean he does nothing else above average, he's horrible at hitting, he's horrible at blocking pitches, he's ok at throwing runners out and he's an average pitch framer.

Yeah, that's a great case for why he should be in the organization in an off the field role, not catching 100+ games.

56 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

MLB.com should have consulted the surly thread on that article 😂😂😂

It’s a ducking puff piece organizations have their mouthpieces put out because the player is catching heat. The fact that this article exists and was written is bad news for Maldonado.