2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ride it out until it needs to be changed. Have to hope for the best here 

when it happened, I knew it was the better move but I would have been much happier with yuli and a rookie Diaz backing him up. Wish we would have followed the heart strings on this one. 

It would be nice if they’d play Diaz at 1B now since they won’t play him at catcher.

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Winning is great, but we also just scored 10 runs in 3 games against a horrid A’s pitching staff.

I’m just saying it makes sense to arrange the lineup in a way that is more conducive to scoring runs. 

Crazy talk. We must hamstring ourselves and spit on all logic and reason to prove something. Not sure what. But something will be proven.  

Pena hits that hr another inch and we win 4-0. Is that good enough ?

The bats need to heat up for sure. What we have on the 40 man and in the system might have to do. Don’t see us trading Gilbert for a rental and he’s by far our shiniest piece. We can’t afford to lose any arms. 

I don’t think trading chas is a risk, if Gilbert is ready now (that’s a big if). The bigger risk/question is seeing what Lee can bring ?  I’m fine with another year of maldy and Diaz, it’d be worth it for the thread melt down alone 

I’m with putt.  Winning streaks like this don’t materialize out of thin air.  This is a really good team that is on the verge of great.   Doesn’t need to be an all-time great team every season.  

I understand where Hank and Wu are coming from, but the fact that they are focusing on one or two spots in the lineup is a rich people problem.   

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

We’re overly dependent on 3 rookie arms, and they’ve been lights out. They can only go one way 😭😭😭😭

If the third one you're referring to is Bielak, he's not a rookie. Maybe we swimg another trade with Detroit for Erod. He's basically a rental. 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

👀👀👀👀

triggered GIF

Bagwell as de facto GM is idiocy. Bagwell as hitting coach is awesome.  Remember when he was hitting coach for half a season before he got bored and we had shitty players and they all did really well, better with him than before or after?  I member. 

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

There's a pretty big difference between Bagwell acting as an extra hitting coach and serving as the de facto GM. 

beat me to it by 30 seconds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I still can't believe that we got Gilbert at the end of the 1st round.

This is going to be a fascinating one to watch.  He seemed like an underdraft to me where we got him. He's barely on top 100 lists (most not at all- those he's on very low). The Astros seem pretty excited about him and Astro watchers seem to really like him.  It feels like he's being treated like Alex Bregman coming up through the minors- who was a top 5 or top 10 prospect.  Someone is really wrong about Gilbert-either the industry or Houston/our fans.  Altuve says he's ready for the majors right now.  He hits the shit out of the ball.  Plays a good CF. Strong arm.  I see Chas level production as a floor and I see a lesser version of Jim Edmonds as a ceiling.  

Also- how they move him and how aggressive they are with him is going to say a ton about how we are managed going forward.  There is no spot for him in Houston.  There will not be a spot for him until Kyle Tucker inevitably moves on after the 2025 season, that isn't already being filled by someone either good to spectacular (when Dusty doesn't decide to play Julks that is). You don't bring Gilbert up to be a 4th OF and we already have all 3 spots capably filled with Yordan, Tucker and Chas/Jake Meyers.  And those guys are under contract for another 5 years, 2+ years and 3/4+ years.  
Fascinating.  

Assuming no Brantley, there's room this year if they get rid of Meyers.  I think he still has options.  Move Yordan back to mostly full time DH and then you can play Chas and Gilbert at the same time.  Gilbert has hit immediately at every level of the minors.  I am guessing scouts were worried he was maxed out and his size was held against him.

Just now, kevwun said:

Assuming no Brantley, there's room this year if they get rid of Meyers.  I think he still has options.  Move Yordan back to mostly full time DH and then you can play Chas and Gilbert at the same time.  Gilbert has hit immediately at every level of the minors.  I am guessing scouts were worried he was maxed out and his size was held against him.

Yordan likes being in the field 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is going to be a fascinating one to watch.  He seemed like an underdraft to me where we got him. He's barely on top 100 lists (most not at all- those he's on very low). The Astros seem pretty excited about him and Astro watchers seem to really like him.  It feels like he's being treated like Alex Bregman coming up through the minors- who was a top 5 or top 10 prospect.  Someone is really wrong about Gilbert-either the industry or Houston/our fans.  Altuve says he's ready for the majors right now.  He hits the shit out of the ball.  Plays a good CF. Strong arm.  I see Chas level production as a floor and I see a lesser version of Jim Edmonds as a ceiling.  

Also- how they move him and how aggressive they are with him is going to say a ton about how we are managed going forward.  There is no spot for him in Houston.  There will not be a spot for him until Kyle Tucker inevitably moves on after the 2025 season, that isn't already being filled by someone either good to spectacular (when Dusty doesn't decide to play Julks that is). You don't bring Gilbert up to be a 4th OF and we already have all 3 spots capably filled with Yordan, Tucker and Chas/Jake Meyers.  And those guys are under contract for another 5 years, 2+ years and 3/4+ years.  
Fascinating.  

I expect Brown to be aggressive in promoting him based on the Braves model. If he continues to crush, I wouldn't be surprised for him to be up this summer and to move one of McCormick/Meyers for prospects or a rental SP.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, formermav43 said:

I expect Brown to be aggressive in moving him based on the Braves model. If he continues to crush, I wouldn't be surprised for him to be up this summer and to move one of McCormick/Meyers for prospects or a rental SP.

if Abreu and Bregman continue to suck, I don’t think we Move chas. He’s proven / steady numbers 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

You can rotate the DH among those 3.  Yordan also needs to be rested regularly to minimize his injury chances.  He may not like it, but it's what is best for both him and the team.

Yordan, Chas, Meyers, Gilbert. One is likely to go?  Probably?  You can't play them all anywhere approaching every day.  If Gilbert comes up this early it's to play every day.  Yordan is playing every day.  Chas and Jake don't make an obvious platoon partnership. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

if Abreu and Bregman continue to suck, I don’t think we Move chas. He’s proven / steady numbers 

I would not move him, personally. I think he profiles as an excellent 4th OF who sill still get a ton of playing time between Alvarez DHing and giving other guys a day off.

I expect Meyers would be more likely to be traded, cashing in on his hot month and hoping that some other orgs are as high on him as Click was. He'd likely get a higher return in that scenario, and McCormick has already demonstrated he has a higher floor - it's probably the best for all parties.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I still can't believe that we got Gilbert at the end of the 1st round.

Dana was in Atlanta last year when they called up 21 yr old OF Michael Harris from AA on May 28. I’m not sure that means anything except he probably ain’t scared. 
Meyers and/or Chas could both be moved for pitching or another bat. If Gilbert is the future then both are expendable. Gilbert in center would help cost average Tuckers 35 mil a year in outfield costs going forward if we can sign him. I’ll keep saying it but Yordan should be as much a full time DH as possible. He’s just too important offensively, especially right now, to have him getting hurt in the outfield. I know he likes to play OF so throw him a bone now and then buy him hitting a wall or twisting a knee is not worth losing him at the plate.  But if we can put together packages to get another LF/dh/1b bat or pitching for Chas and Meyers then I’m all for it. I’m not counting on Brantley to take another at bat or Abreu to have any significant increase in hitting and I think that’s the only way to approach it. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Dana was in Atlanta last year when they called up 21 yr old OF Michael Harris from AA on May 28. I’m not sure that means anything except he probably ain’t scared. 
Meyers and/or Chas could both be moved for pitching or another bat. If Gilbert is the future then both are expendable. Gilbert in center would help cost average Tuckers 35 mil a year in outfield costs going forward if we can sign him. I’ll keep saying it but Yordan should be as much a full time DH as possible. He’s just too important offensively, especially right now, to have him getting hurt in the outfield. I know he likes to play OF so throw him a bone now and then buy him hitting a wall or twisting a knee is not worth losing him at the plate.  But if we can put together packages to get another LF/dh/1b bat or pitching for Chas and Meyers then I’m all for it. I’m not counting on Brantley to take another at bat or Abreu to have any significant increase in hitting and I think that’s the only way to approach it. 

One is expendable. Both aren't. Especially if you want to limit Alvarez's time in the field. 

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

One is expendable. Both aren't. Especially if you want to limit Alvarez's time in the field. 

And Yordan can't play anywhere other than left.  So you need Chas or Meyers.  Given how much Chas has been jerked around in regards to playing time and has still done pretty well, he would seem best suited for being the 4th outfielder.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fascinating.  

I'm interested to see how fangraphs rank him, his injury is probably the only thing holding him back, but FGs have lost some of their luster in my eyes, they have consistently under-rated the Astros prospects in the past few seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

It just too easy

85231b151147d6a48fe816aaa39d2333.jpg

I mean seriously what in the holy hell is the imbecile fucking manager doing? Fuck this bullshit. Professional fucking malpractice. Playing with a hand tied behind your back.

There is no justification for this lineup. None. No rationalization. This is straight-up idiotic if your objective is to attempt to win.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fascinating.  

I think the douche factor/bat flip shit knocked him down some. That stuff bugs the f** of baseball purists. 

Let’s say he continues to knock the cover off the ball in Corpus, could they promote him in September and keep him eligible for Super 2?

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the douche factor/bat flip shit knocked him down some. That stuff bugs the f** of baseball purists. 

Let’s say he continues to knock the cover off the ball in Corpus, could they promote him in September and keep him eligible for Super 2?

chas / Jake production will drive this decision, imo 

• Hook 'Em 1

They’re not bringing Gilbert up until all of these 3 things happen:

He gets to at least 150 pa in AA with continued good numbers (he’s at 50 pa now)

They know whether or not Brantley is coming back

one of Meyers or McCormick is either injured or slumps to the point their wRC+ dips below 90.

• Hook 'Em 1