2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

36 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

players need to start performing. that has an amazing effect 

My confidence is in a group that’s been to 4 WS in 6 years and don’t seem to panic. At some point we won’t win it all or get close but I don’t see it being this year this fast. I mean unless we just stay injured then it could happen, but august seems to be the time frame to bury a team.

Diaz with another HR, I think I’m falling in love. If he remains at catcher. At 1B or LF or DH he’s just a guy. At catcher he’s an all star. 
Really need to see him catching Brown again. See if it’s a fluke that’s Browns era is like 2 runs better with Brown than Maldy or not.

On podcast this week I try to make the case that this team isn’t lousy and maintain my optimism.  Andrew takes a rather more dim view. We then talk about the trade deadline and if the Astros should buy, sell or hold and what the future looks like. 

apple:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/breathing-orange-fire-a-houston-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000617659375

amazon:

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/852d9661-0b82-43da-8ae9-955d001c400b/episodes/fed8d4e7-3798-4cf8-b5dc-e029b72a98f1/breathing-orange-fire-a-houston-astros-podcast-episode-10-buy-sell-or-hold-at-the-deadline?ref=dm_sh_7cmgT7PRmMK4zFAOh1Zto8TSq

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Getting worked by the National League is a joke. We finally reached a point as a fan base where we weren’t forced to observe more braves, cubs and cardinals fans in the stands at MMP or the dome. If this crap keeps up next year will go back to bad old days.
Rant continued; Tired of seeing 27,28,29 year old rookies, it’s not fun watching career Minor leaguers figuring things out at the major league level. That’s not how it’s done. Mix in a young hot prospects to learn from winners, veterans still in their prime not salty ass bitter older dudes sore about contract extensions. Other teams go up against the Stros like they are  Clubber Lange hangry as hell and the Stros are the opulent fat cats polishing their rings, trophies. Training like a bunch of sissy boys.

Dusty thanks for the championship go enjoy retirement. Create a show where you go around the country showing us the other side of baseball.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Who are those prospects? How many are there?

Correct, they aren’t there. There are no Tucker, Bregman, Correa level prospects in the system right now…those guys were top-5 picks. Gilbert and a few others are promising, but the days of stacking high-end draft picks in the system ended 8 years ago. That’s the price of success. (Of course, losing your top two picks in consecutive seasons handicaps you that much more.)

I'm not optimistic about this season. The injuries have been too much and exposed a bit of a lack of depth. I just don’t (and haven’t, since the Urquidy and Garcia injuries) see a team that can flip a switch and turn it all around; I see a mediocre lineup (could turn it around to a degree when Yordan comes back, but it’s not going to be dominant) and a pretty-good pitching staff that has been over-performing and is probably due for some downward regression. 

That said, there is a path to resetting the roster on the fly (as opposed to a true, radical “rebuild”), but they have to be smart about it. @Wulaw Horn covers this really well on his podcast that he linked above ^^. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Correct, they aren’t there. There are no Tucker, Bregman, Correa level prospects in the system right now…those guys were top-5 picks. Gilbert and a few others are promising, but the days of stacking high-end draft picks in the system ended 8 years ago. That’s the price of success. (Of course, losing your top two picks in consecutive seasons handicaps you that much more.)

I'm not optimistic about this season. The injuries have been too much and exposed a bit of a lack of depth. I just don’t (and haven’t, since the Urquidy and Garcia injuries) see a team that can flip a switch and turn it all around; I see a mediocre lineup (could turn it around to a degree when Yordan comes back, but it’s not going to be dominant) and a pretty-good pitching staff that has been over-performing and is probably due for some downward regression. 

That said, there is a path to resetting the roster on the fly (as opposed to a true, radical “rebuild”), but they have to be smart about it. @Wulaw Horn covers this really well on his podcast that he linked above ^^. 

A and AA have some sharp looking prospects for sure. 2022 draft could end up being a good one 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Who are those prospects? How many are there?

Guys I think can be true difference makers for the Astros:

Whitley (1st ballot HOFer imo). Joking here obviously.

Ok- starting over:

Gilbert- CF- in AA- drafted from Tenn.  Going to be really good. I think his floor is Chas like production and his ceiling is Poor man's Jim Edmonds as far as value goes.  Really important prospect and needs to hit. Timeline of '24 I think. I'd have him up after I think super 2 is done. 

Clifford- future at 1b?  Still playing corner OF.  Basically as high a floor prospect as there is in the system.  19 years old.  Not a great athlete but really good hitter- controls the strike zone. I think he ends up solving LF or 1b for us for 6 years (at least) starting in 2026 (right when Abreu's contract ends).

Spencer Arenghetti- P in AA.  Overall numbers are decent this year but he hasn't given up a run in 5 of his last 8 appearances, after getting absolutely shelled to the tune of an era of like 20 or 30 to start the year down there.  Really coming into his own. I don't know that he's an ace or Cy Young type guy, but he's going to be in the MOR for us starting in 24 or 25 I would think.  Pretty valuable player.

Melton- Looks like a 4th OF at worst.  Stealing everything in sight. I wonder, if you made the playoffs, if he might be worth rostering as a 14th player just as a PR.  College guy.  Timeline of '25 maybe?

There are a lot of other interesting guys that I'd just be throwing darts at a board with.  Not enough IF guys. Not enough Pitchers.  If these 4 guys above hit and we develop some other ones the future looks pretty decent.  Names that are kind of interesting to me: Loperfido, Wagner, Barber, Leon (super loud skills- doesn't hit the ball enough- if he puts it together maybe bigtime- most likely won't).  That's about it.  I could see those 8 guys I mentioned locking down 5 spots on the roster by 26 or so. If they are all above average that does a lot to help make us contenders in the back half of the decade.  

Really unbalanced system right now with all the talent more or less being in the OF.  

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Guys I think can be true difference makers for the Astros:

Whitley (1st ballot HOFer imo). Joking here obviously.

Ok- starting over:

Gilbert- CF- in AA- drafted from Tenn.  Going to be really good. I think his floor is Chas like production and his ceiling is Poor man's Jim Edmonds as far as value goes.  Really important prospect and needs to hit. Timeline of '24 I think. I'd have him up after I think super 2 is done. 

Clifford- future at 1b?  Still playing corner OF.  Basically as high a floor prospect as there is in the system.  19 years old.  Not a great athlete but really good hitter- controls the strike zone. I think he ends up solving LF or 1b for us for 6 years (at least) starting in 2026 (right when Abreu's contract ends).

Spencer Arenghetti- P in AA.  Overall numbers are decent this year but he hasn't given up a run in 5 of his last 8 appearances, after getting absolutely shelled to the tune of an era of like 20 or 30 to start the year down there.  Really coming into his own. I don't know that he's an ace or Cy Young type guy, but he's going to be in the MOR for us starting in 24 or 25 I would think.  Pretty valuable player.

Melton- Looks like a 4th OF at worst.  Stealing everything in sight. I wonder, if you made the playoffs, if he might be worth rostering as a 14th player just as a PR.  College guy.  Timeline of '25 maybe?

There are a lot of other interesting guys that I'd just be throwing darts at a board with.  Not enough IF guys. Not enough Pitchers.  If these 4 guys above hit and we develop some other ones the future looks pretty decent.  Names that are kind of interesting to me: Loperfido, Wagner, Barber, Leon (super loud skills- doesn't hit the ball enough- if he puts it together maybe bigtime- most likely won't).  That's about it.  I could see those 8 guys I mentioned locking down 5 spots on the roster by 26 or so. If they are all above average that does a lot to help make us contenders in the back half of the decade.  

Really unbalanced system right now with all the talent more or less being in the OF.  

Are there any viable replacements for Bregman and Altuve?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Are there any viable replacements for Bregman and Altuve?

Not that you'd be super happy about.  We've got a 3B Perez that might be league average if things really break his way.  
Will Wagner might be a little above average. Leon is an OF that they've been playing some at 2b. If he ever hits his ceiling (I find unlikely) he could be a star, so I guess there is that.  Loperfido might be able to play 2nd?   He could be an above average major league player if stuff broke right. 

Bregman and Altuve should both be able to be extended without costing you any more than their current salary so it's not like they aren't affordable.  If you decide to cut bait on either of them I think you need to get a star level replacement in one area and hope that one of the guys in the minors can be average at the other spot.  Or trade a current star for a future star at one of those positions.  
I'm not the worlds greatest prospector.  @Snake Diggity is really good at that stuff and he'd have some more informed takes. 

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Tucker for prospects might not be such a bad idea. 

Agreed…OF is probably the deepest position in the system, and we’re lacking any real IF solutions. Tucker is really good, but if he doesn’t want to sign an extension, you have a chance to cash him in for a couple of very good prospects and a few lottery tickets. He’s a 4-5 win player; Chas is a 3.5 win player, if you actually let him play every day. He probably gives you 75-80% of Tucker’s production. Then you have Meyers, Yordan, and by 2024 possibly Gilbert (and whoever may be targeted in FA). 

I’d try to extend Bregman again (I know he hasn’t been great this year but I think he’ll be fine because his underlying stats seem mostly fine, and his current deal ends after his age-30 season), as well as Altuve for a few more seasons (he needs to be retained, a la Biggio). I think Bregman will be a 3-5 WAR guy for several more years (he’ll always have a pretty high floor due him to his BB/K ratio. Altuve will be chasing 3,000, and he will steadily decline, but you keep him anyway. If you extend those guys the IF is mostly set for the next few seasons. 

2 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Why does the battling lineup seem to change drastically every game? Why the hell isn't the same guy leading off or batting cleanup nearly every game?

Happy Dusty Baker GIF by MLB

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Why does the battling lineup seem to change drastically every game? Why the hell isn't the same guy leading off or batting cleanup nearly every game?

because the manager is a fucking moron. Pena and Bregman excelled at 2 and 4 last year respectively, but neither bat there this year.

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If he passes on a legit offer, move him at some time before he leaves 

If you are going to move him before he leaves this deadline is the time to do it.  Tons of Buyers, no sellers- 3 years of playoff run instead of 2. He will never be more valuable than he is at 7/31/2023.  
To be clear- I'd offer him 10/300. IF he passes I'd trade him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

because the manager is a fucking moron. Pena and Bregman excelled at 2 and 4 last year respectively, but neither bat there this year.

pena hit .253 last year, he’s at .249 now. He tore it up in the post season, but .250 could be his slot 

Yes the bingo caller lineup is fucking stupid. Was just thinking this yesterday when I longed for the days where you knew pretty much 1-7 in order no change every fucking day.

Now we get B14, I23, O67, B5

Then next game B2, G47, N34

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, n64ra said:

I figured this picture was coming, but I don't recall Dusty doing this level of insanity last season or in '21. Am I right or did I forget because we won the AL both of those seasons?

Some of both. Fewer injuries to deal with last year, so it was a bit more stable. But we still had things like Tucker hitting 6th, Dubon hitting 2nd, etc. Also it seems like someone told him to cut the shit when the postseason arrived. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

pena hit .253 last year, he’s at .249 now. He tore it up in the post season, but .250 could be his slot 

Go look at his splits. Bregman too. There is more than enough sample size to justify batting both guys respectively in those spots. This organization used to pride itself on that type of number crunching, now Bagwell and Jackson have too much sway with Crane and the baseball operations.

And for the last fucking time, stop using BA as the key comparison. It is meaningless when discussing what a good offensive player is now.

Pena - .868 OPS when batting 2nd, the next closest OPS is .822 batting 8th.

Bregman - .985 OPS when batting 4th, the next closest OPS is .956 batting 7th.

So, either move them down to 7th and 8th by getting better hitters in those positions, or bat them where they have excelled in their careers.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Go look at his splits. Bregman too. There is more than enough sample size to justify batting both guys respectively in those spots. This organization used to pride itself on that type of number crunching, now Bagwell and Jackson have too much sway with Crane and the baseball operations.

And for the last fucking time, stop using BA as the key comparison. It is meaningless when discussing what a good offensive player is now.

Pena - .868 OPS when batting 2nd, the next closest OPS is .822 batting 8th.

Bregman - .985 OPS when batting 4th, the next closest OPS is .956 batting 7th.

So, either move them down to 7th and 8th by getting better hitters in those positions, or bat them where they have excelled in their careers.

thanks for pissing in my cheerios, that is enfuriating

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

6 in a row.

It's at least sort of close to the best lineup he could put out there, maybe?  Right now at this time.  Closer than he usually gets anyway.  I think the one I would roll with right now would be:

Altuve/Pena/Bregman/Tucker/Diaz/Chas/Abreu/Meyers/Dubon.  That's it. It's not great but it's got your 9 best hitters in there and optimal positioning.  That lineup should be league average or better.  When Yordan and Brantley replace Dubon and Meyers against RHP you've got a winner and a lineup that actually is pretty good. 

• Hook 'Em 1