2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Can't believe this lineup only managed one run in this fucking abominable loss.  Fuck

Fucking Ted, why didn't he hit 3 HRs again?

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Hey I know. Let's throw someone with a 10+ era when we need to keep the deficit at 2 runs. JFC. 

Might as well if we think no one can throw 3 days in a row out of the pen.  This is already a loss either way.

Fuck. This stuff we’ve been trotting out there this season is not Astros standard.
The club should have thrown Dusty an extravagant surprise retirement party after last years parade. I still believe we can get busy but the road ahead is gonna be tough. We need to get healthy sooner than later.

Just now, Wishbone said:

Fuck. This stuff we’ve been trotting out there this season is not Astros standard.
The club should have thrown Dusty an extravagant surprise retirement party after last years parade. I still believe we can get busy but the road ahead is gonna be tough. We need to get healthy sooner than later.

Well it wouldn't have been a surprise retirement. He was out of contract.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

All things considered, it's amazing where we stand at this point in the season.

3 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

If you have to pinch hit for 3 hitter in a row you put a shit line up out.  Fuck you Dusty. 

“Dusty” has become more of an adjective than a noun with regard to our beloved manager. What in the hell is up with these decisions?

48 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

how would the roster be different ?

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Who has connections in San Fran, Chicago, Cincy or Washington to talk to about getting the Houston chapter of Dusty Anonymous off the ground? 

I need to hit a meeting pretty bad tonight

I was told that when he managed in Chicago, a veteran used to take a shit in the dugout where he sat every day. My best guess is Alou. He is ruining the bullpen the way he ruined Prior and Wood.

This was a Charlie Pallilo blog from a couple days ago: https://houston.sportsmap.com/houston-astros-maldonado-diaz-pena

Pena is a flat out offensive liability these days, who should be batting ninth with Maldonado out of the lineup. Pena is three for his last 32 at the plate, and before that, no one was confusing him with Bo Bichette. Counting the March 30 and 31 games as part of the season’s first month, Pena’s numbers have gotten worse every month this season. He hit one home run in June and has one thus far in July. His last double was June 9. Let me type that again. His last double was June 9. Since June 1 Pena’s OPS is a hideous .545. Maldonado’s OPS for the season is .539. It’s been a very disappointing follow-up campaign to date for the 2022 postseason superduperstar. So much so that Pena would not start for the majority of Major League teams right now.

Maldonado vs. Diaz truths

Slash line (batting avg, on-base %, slugging %): Diaz .267/.287/.487 Maldy .168/.244/.295

OPS: Diaz .774 Maldy .539

Pitchers’ ERA with catcher: Diaz 3.52 Maldy 3.83

Vs. base stealers: Diaz thrown out 9 of 24 (37.5%) Maldy thrown out 9 of 54 (16.7%)

Passed balls: Diaz 0 Maldy 7 (most in MLB)

Won-loss record in starts: Diaz 13-8 (.619) Maldy 38-33 (.535)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Prepping for trade value podcast on Monday- super excited. Think this will be the most fun POD of the year.  I've ranked 10 catergories- tell me who you've got where:

1) I'd cry and cry if we traded this guy- would have to be for a super star with lots of club control and probably not even then

2) It better be a pretty special offer- don't waste my time otherwise

3) I'm listening, but you better be talking about an all star coming back my way with at least 1.5 years of control left

4) Significant part of a package to get someone excellent back in a walk year, or good with multiple years of control left

5) I'm almost sure this guy is worth more to me than you

6) Pure rentals, very little value

7) Jags I'd rather keep than give away for nothing- not sure you why you want to offer me something interesting but I'm listening I guess
OR
Also- maybe someone meh in a walk year that fills a hole- the Rich Hill and Michael Lorenzen category

😎 I'd really rather not trade him- but I'm listening (all prospects in this catergory)

9) No- really- he's valuable and you should take him, but he's blocked here and I don't think he's special.  But you could use him.  Give me something good.

10) I will help him pack his car and drive him to the airport- he has negative value.

I have some prospects in tiers 2 & 4, tiers 8 & 9 are all prospects.  I dealt with 42 guys. 

I'd rather have Singleton up over Madris. Hell, give me any left-handed bat currently in AAA over Madris. I hope when Alvarez comes back, we just DFA Madris, even though we don't need a spot on the 40 to make the move.

If Pena was the worst hitter in the lineup, it would be ok, but he's struggling in a time when we need post-season Pena because you have Julks, Dubon, and Madris who are just as bad as he has been.

Since June 10th, Julks has 5 2Bs and 1 HR; Dubon 5 and 2; Pena 0 and 2.

That covers 351 PAs for those 3 batters. Just awful production.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Haha 1