2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If we sweep Seattle, they are eliminated? I guess technically they could still beat out Toronto, but we sweep we clinch a playoff spot. The way this team plays on the road, getting 4 or 5 playoff road games to start would probably be better.

The announcers said last night (assuming they know wtf they are talking about) that a sweep by either team would not mathematically eliminate the swept team.

51 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If we sweep Seattle, they are eliminated? I guess technically they could still beat out Toronto, but we sweep we clinch a playoff spot. The way this team plays on the road, getting 4 or 5 playoff road games to start would probably be better.

No. We are 3.5 up on Seattle if they sweep. If they win their last 4 and we lose our last 3 we end up tied and they have tie breaker in hand on us and will go before us. 

If we can't win the division, I'd rather stay right where we are and play Minnesota instead of the Rays.  If we beat Minnesota, then we'd open the ALDS at the Rangers on October 7.  If that was a night game, that would make for a helluva day in Dallas.  There would be a game on Sunday at the Rangers too, and Monday is a holiday.

Edited by cabowabo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The only discernible pattern to our play is that we seem to feel way less pressure on the road against good teams than at home against bad ones. If makes no sense, but perhaps it now ends up working in our favor.

For Seattle, meanwhile, the collar could be getting a bit snug. They went from out of it to leading the division to letting it slip away here at the end. And now they have to figure it out in another high-pressure situation against their nemesis. I hope they continue to handle it poorly and that Javier's high heat is moving the way JV's was. 

25 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

If we can't win the division, I'd rather stay right where we are and play Minnesota instead of the Rays.  If we beat Minnesota, then we'd open the ALDS at the Rangers on October 7.  If that was a night game, that would make for a helluva day in Dallas.  There would be a game on Sunday at the Rangers too, and Monday is a holiday.

No human liver could survive that day

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Just fucking do what we did last night and make it moot.  

Jesus, we YET AGAIN only play like contenders on the road against playoff caliber teams. Otherwise, we play like a Tom Herman coached team against Maryland. 

Thankfully the royals won’t be in the playoffs and all we would face is playoff teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Maybe my worst sports day was starting out October 12, 2019 in Austin, driving to Dallas for 11am kickoff, watching horns lose 34-27, then driving to Houston for 7pm ALCS Game 1 vs Yankees and watching the Astros lose 7-0.

Hmmmm... So either you're due or you're a jinx.

If it were me, I'd just eliminate the jinx opp.