2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

The fact that y’all can get so excited about 1 HR and I get a suck it directed at me for a guy with an OPS that I believe still starts with a 4 is awesome. I actually mean that. I wish I could allow myself to feel that way. 
it was like Slorch with Yuli every time he got a hit last year into June. 
he’s got negative WAR people. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The fact that y’all can get so excited about 1 HR and I get a suck it directed at me for a guy with an OPS that I believe still starts with a 4 is awesome. I actually mean that. I wish I could allow myself to feel that way. 

It was more in reference to the game being over after 1 run and I like the machete gif.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

dude chill it's a joke

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

The sports pessimist is the easiest online space to occupy.  You get to say "see, I was right" when things aren't going well, and then be "pleasantly surprised" when things turn around.

I guess I don’t see it as pessimism? I’m saying that, objectively, half the lineup is made up of sub-average hitters and the rotation is two good starters, a promising rookie, and quad-A guys. That’s what mediocre teams look like. That’s reality, not pessimism.

For example - I have zero doubt that Alex Bregman is still good and will end up with a good season, because the data tell me that he’s been the same guy so far in 2023 that he’s always been. The results are likely to follow. On the other hand, the data tell us that Jose Abreu is not the same guy he’s always been, and thus I expect him to have a poor season, in line with what the data suggest he is now. There’s reason to believe that Yordan and Tucker will be even better than they’ve been. There’s no reason to believe that Meyers or Maldanado or Dubon or Bielak will. None of these forecasts are optimistic or pessimistic; they’re simply the most likely outcomes.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

dude chill it's a joke

I know. I’m not upset. I was being serious when I say I wish I was wired like that to get excited. Anything that’s not abjectly terrible just makes me think- oh that probably bought him 5 more starts and I know that’s counterproductive to be in the grand scheme of things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know. I’m not upset. I was being serious when I say I wish I was wired like that to get excited. Anything that’s not abjectly terrible just makes me think- oh that probably bought him 5 more starts and I know that’s counterproductive to be in the grand scheme of things. 

well fwiw I'm a Machete truther but even I think he needs to not be playing more than Diaz

Anyone else think that the team should do a code red on Abreu, shave the pubes off his chin, steal the gold chains and sew his jersey shut together?
you don’t get to look like a dickhead with a 500 OPS… it should be a rule.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 1

I had to go look, because I remembered Abreu actually being exactly what we would want him to be in Spring Training.  And yep, he was really good.  I just don't get it.  It's not like he's missing 99 MPH fastballs, he's getting a steady diet of 93-95 and just can't hit it.  Not even good fastballs a lot of the time

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

Y’all wanted dubon gone, now you get more Hensley 

I’m fine with that if Dubons gone for a long time and it means Dusty doesn’t try to play him 60% of the time once Altuve back. Feels like he should be back in 10 days since he got all the way ramped up for the WBC? 

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Game by game….

we need 8 from framber 

need runs, Abreu and bregman need to get going 

dubon needs to get back to working counts. He’s up their swinging too aggressive 

unpopular opinion, Diaz isn’t used to our bullpen yet. It’s showing, need to keep bringing along. 

1 out of 3 ain’t bad 

If they blow this for Framber, I’m going to lose my mind.

This ain’t exactly the ‘98 lineup and Ohtani’s catcher has single-handedly allowed 2 baserunners, but we may be witnessing one of the most dominating pitching performances since 25 years + 3 days ago.

Which pitcher were you speaking of??

2 minutes ago, Honeysucklerose said:

If they blow this for Framber, I’m going to lose my mind.

Which pitcher were you speaking of??

Kerry Wood? Unless you were referring to Framber being dominate instead of Shohei.

Edited by rvm96

Just like Sunday, win the last game to win the series. Had we won Sunday, we’d all be posting from a much better place. The same tomorrow. Win the series, leave on a high note, prevent the thread melt down on Thursday 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1