2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

The cap to one of the worst off seasons ever. GM….we don’t need no stinkin GM. It’s not even the moves they made, which 2 out of 3 were arguably bad from the jump. It’s the moves that weren’t made to shore up the OF, C and pitching insurance. It’s an uphill climb from here. We are about to see what kind of wizard Dana Brown is and his bag of tricks. 

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, Scraps said:

That doesn't sound like a setback at all

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Never going to play pro ball again

I'm sure if his last career ABs were with an Astros AAA affiliate, he would have preferred if they were as a Zamunda Lion

https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/02/08/grizzlies-to-play-as-zamunda-lions-for-coming-to-fresno-night/

56 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

The cap to one of the worst off seasons ever. GM….we don’t need no stinkin GM. It’s not even the moves they made, which 2 out of 3 were arguably bad from the jump. It’s the moves that weren’t made to shore up the OF, C and pitching insurance. It’s an uphill climb from here. We are about to see what kind of wizard Dana Brown is and his bag of tricks. 

My podcast co-host andrew is yelling at the computer saying- see- this is my point. No GM!  That was his biggest hate in our love/hate podcast. 

I can’t talk about how cruel it is to have an off day and then a rain out. Terrible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

What pitching move or moves would you have made?

Edited by rvm96

13 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

What pitching move or moves would you have made?

I’m afraid I don’t have time to really study it or devise plans to that degree but the one thing I think I would have done is try to create a package that included Stanek to get one of Arizonas outfielders when they openly were looking for bullpen help. He was never going to duplicate last years stats so you are trying to sell high and he’s down the pecking order in our pen so barring a ton of injuries he could be replaced and or not really missed. But standing pat depending on everyone to stay healthy and/or duplicate one off seasons is asking for disappointment. Should always be trying to build depth and from my limited view we didn’t try. I do realize saying to deal Stanek seems counterintuitive to what I was saying about depth but the return would have been significantly greater with an everyday player. Oh and my other reason for dealing Stanek is he is a free agent after this year. He’s probably gone anyway. 

Edited by Mitch Hedberg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Altuve warning track to straight center. Curiously, he wore no padding of any kind on his arms or legs. Doesn’t he usually wear an elbow/upper arm pad and shin guard? 
He hasn't been gone that long lol. He does not wear shin guards. Typically one elbow pad, but he has went without it too before like he did in the WBC
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Scraps said:
18 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:
Altuve warning track to straight center. Curiously, he wore no padding of any kind on his arms or legs. Doesn’t he usually wear an elbow/upper arm pad and shin guard? 

He hasn't been gone that long lol. He does not wear shin guards. Typically one elbow pad, but he has went without it too before like he did in the WBC

Lol He just looked so naked. Probably the weird uniform too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Bellinger or Yoshida would have been interesting pieces for the outfield with very different fees.

I was definitely interested in Yoshida. I haven’t looked how he’s doing so far. Houston just doesn’t seem to be on the radar for the Japanese players.

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Whatever he is doing is better than Brantley

Brantley has been more valuable to the Astros at 0.0 WAR than maldy, Abreu, Hensley, that shithead infielder that’s terrible and maybe one or two other guys. Lot of below replacement level guys so far on the team. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I was definitely interested in Yoshida. I haven’t looked how he’s doing so far. Houston just doesn’t seem to be on the radar for the Japanese players.

He had a terrible start and has batted I believe over .400 since.

• Hook 'Em 2