2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

30 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

No I will still dunk on him regarding Julks. 

Jury is still out on him. He can’t be effective if he doesn’t start to walk, unless he keeps babip-ing 350 or whatever it is which seems… unlikely. 

I’ve been super happy with his first month in the majors and if he can be an average player good for him and I hope they keep him around to be a platoon partner with Brantley. 

but, his general premise doesn’t scream- this dude is completely wrong even if some of the specifics do. Dusty is a menace with the lineup card in a way that isn’t fixed by Maldonado going 2-2 today with a double that went over the RF’s head bouncing on the warning track and a duck snort short of the CFer. Every hit, no matter how improbable is Manna from heaven, but the lineup today is just awful man. And it doesn’t have to be. Dubon and Julks are about to get the rest of the season worth of rest. Keep firing as their days of playing every day are nearly over. We have a catcher whose never lost as a catcher in the bigs and is still pulling splinters out of his ass… it’s bad man. He’s not wrong from a big picture standpoint about not optimizing lineups right now costing us. 
he undervalued our pitching some with the predicted outcome I think. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Jury is still out on him. He can’t be effective if he doesn’t start to walk, unless he flees babip-ing 350 or whatever it is which seems… unlikely. 

I’ve been super happy with his first month in the majors and if he can be an average player good for him and I hope they keep him around to be a platoon partner with Brantley. 

but, his general premise doesn’t scream- this dude is completely wrong even if some of the specifics do. Dusty is a menace with the lineup card in a way that isn’t fixed by Maldonado going 2-2 today with a double that went over the RF’s head bouncing on the warning track and a duck snort short of the CFer. Every hit, no matter how improbable is Manna from heaven, but the lineup today is just awful man. And it doesn’t have to be. Dubon and Julks are about to get the rest of the season worth of rest. Keep firing as their days of playing every day are nearly over. We have a catcher whose never lost as a catcher in the bigs and is still pulling splinters out of his ass… it’s bad man. He’s not wrong from a big picture standpoint about not optimizing lineups right now costing us. 
he undervalued our pitching some with the predicted outcome I think. 

Yeah I only argued with him about Julks. I left all the other stuff out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It feels like we really need this game. I’d run the relay race as I call it- when we hand the baton from Nerris to Montero to Abreu to Presley and only ask for 5 from the starter. 
shake Urquidy’s hand and be happy the 2 HR’s were solo shots and call it a day. 

1 minute ago, rvm96 said:

Fair enough. I’m not ready to declare you the winner on that one yet until I see some plate discipline- but his ability to hit the ball hard has been a really pleasant surprise. Really pleasant for a guy with no pedigree and without loud tools. 

Fair enough. I’m not ready to declare you the winner on that one yet until I see some plate discipline- but his ability to hit the ball hard has been a really pleasant surprise. Really pleasant for a guy with no pedigree and without loud tools. 

I call it a victory just because he said to send Julks back on a bus after like the first game. Also, the player he wanted instead (Dirden) is batting .192 right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

384 babip when I hand calculated. He’s hit the ball hard so maybe he can outperform 300 but nobody is a true 400 ish babip guy. He has like 1 walk in 76 plays appearances. It’s hard to be a plus offensive player without walking 1/12 or so times, or 1/15 at an absolute minimum. 
his minor league numbers suggest that’s not an unreasonable ask, but dicey with every game that goes by without him doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I call it a victory just because he said to send Julks back on a bus after like the first game. Also, the player he wanted instead (Dirden) is batting .192 right now. 

For the first month of the year?  Huge fucking victory. Just like Dubon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Jesus Fucking Christ

I’m about a month away from calling this the worst signing in Astros history. 
I was extremely happy about the signing. It’s hard to believe he lost the ability to play baseball when he was decent to really good last year and not injured, but here we are and and it’s scary time. 

I was extremely happy about the signing. It’s hard to believe he lost the ability to play baseball when he was decent to really good last year and not injured, but here we are and and it’s scary time. 

Tomorrow is a new month so I guess we're on the same page

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Great baserunning by Breggy there!

Yeah- it really was. Any hesitation with as slow as he is and he’s not getting home. Did everything right and a really good send by windmill considering where we are in the lineup. 

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Tomorrow is a new month so I guess we're on the same page

I meant June 1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Baseball being baseball, you really have to give it the entire season.

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

Abreu is in monumental slump.

When he gets it right, it's gonna be all the more rewarding.

He WILL get it right this season.

He's been too good for too long for me to give up hope.  But sometimes guys get old in a hurry.  I hope he's just in his head, trying to do too much for a new team.

I think we'll know if he finally gets off the homer schnide then hits a couple more in the next week.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Baseball being baseball, you really have to give it the entire season.

We signed him for 3/58 so yeah, he gets the entire season. I just more mean it in the sense I will treat it like Yuli last year and expect the worst and be happily surprised with anything better. 

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

FORREST WHITLEY TIME!!!!

6 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

Whitley spot start soon?

6 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Do I hear Forest Whitley's music?

*Bielak

^France