2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Our starting pitching depth is little to none. Hopefully bielak can step in and hold the line 

Maybe Blanco will finally get some innings in combo start with Bielak. Neither is stretched out enough to go it alone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dubon is officially a below average hitter for 2023.  Does anyone want to take bets that his OPS will cross back above 100+ at any time this year?

I would have hoped that statistical milestone could remove that offensive millstone from the #1 spot in the lineup but alas, we have the mighty Meyers/Maldonado/Dubon bottom of the 3rd inning nut punch set up right now, so that's always nice.  

Bielak up I guess isn't a real surprise.  Wanted to see Whitley or France b/c they obviously have more upside, but if the Astros wanted to make sure they brought up a replacement level player that had been up before and wasn't likely to shit the bed they know they've got their guy in Bielak. I imagine he gets a playoff share along with his WS Ring for his role with the team- good for him.  I ain't mad about that move, it checks out and makes sense.  Just a little bummed.  

JOSE URQUIDY SP, HOUSTON ASTROS

Astros placed RHP José Urquidy on the 15-day injured list with right shoulder discomfort.

Urquidy was removed from Sunday's start against the Phillies after just 5 1/3 innings due to the shoulder issue, and now it sounds like he's going to be out of commission for a while. Bielak is expected to add length to the Astros' bullpen for the time being, but is not believed to be the rotation replacement for Urquidy -- so they'll need to find someone else to start against the Mariners in Seattle on Saturday.

this implies that bb will not start the next urquidy game.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

this implies that bb will not start the next urquidy game.

With the off day on Thursday, they really wouldn’t have to use a different starter until next Tuesday, if they chose to go that route.

Or not, should have finished typing sooner.