2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Here's the rule. He never stepped out of the box. 

If the batter interferes with the catcher’s throw to retire a runner by stepping out of the batter’s box, the plate umpire shall call “Interference."

that wasn’t interference 

8 hours ago, Slacks said:

Hey everyone that is suffering through the annual April with teeth gnashing and nipe twisting, I have a treat for you!!! 

Tomorrow is May. 

As of April 29

2022 11-9.

2021 13-12.

Chill. 

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Win today, and it’s a winning month 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Let’s do this, a winning April would be huge 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Winning April !!!

Hat off to dusty and the staff. 

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

No Altuve, no Brantley, and no Abreu, and still went 15-13 for the month.  I'll take it.

black-smart.gif.00d5685f35f89ab3c1cb9936827ed8de.gifdanielle-thomas-with-gia.jpg.2a5db07f680e6d4e4e7d70d951a3f4c0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Interesting McTaggert thinks Gilbert plays the second half in Corpus.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-drew-gilbert-is-ready-for-the-moment

I mean- he could get called up to corpus today and it wouldn’t be a surprise and it would be warranted. I would like to think he gets called up in the next couple weeks and if he does well at corpus you could see him get his feet wet I. surer land for a couple weeks or a month.

3 months in corpus then 3 weeks in Sugar land,

setting up to start the year next year in Sugar Land and then get called up July 1 or something like Yordan was- so you go beyond super 2 and have him for 6.5 years hit only have to go through arbitration 3 times. 
That seems, to me, like the ideal progression for him if he’s really good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Chas needs to get called back first. Per brown today, he’s played in two game and feels 100% normal 

Dusty wants his rehab to last as long as his time out. You know- just to be sure. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 2

Predictions for May:

Astros go 18-9. End the month 33-22 in first place on pace for 97 wins. Altuve plays in the last 3 games of the month at home against the Twins. 

Bullpen is really good.

Pitcher of the month- Hinter Brown 

Hitter of the month- Alex Bregman. 

Maldonado gets scorching hot and has an OPS above 500 for the month. Diaz loses a game as the starting catcher. Dusty says- see- told you he ain’t sent- he needs to split Hunter Brown starts with Salazar- Maldy will continue to catch 80% of the time. 
Scraps will bitch every time Meyers starts over McCormick. 
Abreu will hit his first HR (hitting exactly 1)

Brantley will not hit a HR. 
Dubon will see his average drop down to 250 or so- OPS below 300, SlG below 350. People will continue to talk about his “hot streak”. 
Yordan, Tucker, Peña, McCormick and Bregman will all be above average hitters for the month

Meyers, Julks and Diaz will be average 

Maldy, Brantley and Dubon will be below average. 

Add Altuve at the end of May and those will be your 13 position players. 

Special bonus- Forest Whitley will throw his first pitch in MLB. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So the Rake and Chas platoon would be Chas against lefties, correct?

Both are better against left handed dudes. Brantley has zero business starting against a LHP. 
should be Chas always and forever and then Meyers or Julks depending upon who is worth keeping up. Yordan DH. Brantley on the bench. 
If Brantley really plays 1B you can keep Julks up here. 

Scraps will bitch every time Meyers starts over McCormick. 

I mean you will be wrong about alot, but you are already wrong about this. I don't care who starts between the two normally because they are both just guys, would rather have Chas of course, but that is low on the totem pole of things to bitch about

Now if Hensley is starting over Chas for some reason as DH or something then you would have a better shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

I mean you will be wrong about alot, but you are already wrong about this. I don't care who starts between the two normally because they are both just guys.

Now if Hensley is starting over Chas for some reason as DH or something then you would have a better shot.

I thought you absolutely hated Meyers and were indifferent toward Chas. My mistake. 
and of course I will be wrong about a lot. if I got half that stuff right it would be pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought you absolutely hated Meyers and were indifferent toward Chas. My mistake. 
and of course I will be wrong about a lot. if I got half that stuff right it would be pretty good. 

No I hate Hensley.

Meyers is what he is.  I do hate his rag ass arm.    

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

I don't care who starts between the two normally because they are both just guys, would rather have Chas of course, but that is low on the totem pole of things to bitch about

In 238 games, Chas has a 113 wRC+ and 4.9 fWAR (so, around 3.3 per 160 games). That’s not prime George Springer or anything, but it is significantly better than “just a guy.” Though, in fairness, he is “just a guy” against righties…but an all-star against lefties. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In 238 games, Chas has a 113 wRC+ and 4.9 fWAR (so, around 3.3 per 160 games). That’s not prime George Springer or anything, but it is significantly better than “just a guy.” Though, in fairness, he is “just a guy” against righties…but an all-star against lefties. 
Just a guy as in neither make my dick tingle
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

No I hate Hensley.

Can never hate Hensley. He was the spark plug with a key at bat leading to Yordan’s magic moment in G1 ALDS.

That said… dude has had a lot of chances this year and has shown squat.  We have much better options right now.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, i've also noticed a problem with his hands and head.  and shoulders and feet and swing.  otherwise he looks fucking solid.

He's doing pretty good for a guy that can't see the ball at all

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, that's the thing about the question asked earlier about a platoon with Meyers. Obviously, McCormick *has* to play vs. lefties. But even against righties, for all his supposed struggles, he's basically league average for his career, still significantly better than Meyers.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

If he didn't find something wrong with his hands and his head he damn sure better have told him that he did just so he can think he "solved" a problem and re-set mentally.  I know these things- I played golf at a decently high level and all coaches and caddy's would rather make something up to try to boost your mental game than pronounce there as "nothing wrong". 

48 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yo @Wulaw Horn who got the f-minus-minus-minus-minus-minus-minus?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/36305183/mlb-2023-season-first-month-grades-all-30-teams

I gotta assume it's the Cardinals only other candidate might be the White Sox but I don't think anyone expected them to be much better than middle of the road....

Oakland. 

CHisox got an F- and the shit birds got a D or D-

Astros

Houston Astros: C

They had a slow start, going 3-6 in their first nine games as some members of the rotation started off slow and the bullpen lost a couple of games, but the Astros have played better of late to avoid a disastrous April World Series hangover. Framber Valdez and Cristian Javier are back in form, and Hunter Brown is an early Rookie of the Year favorite with a 2.37 ERA and no home runs allowed through five starts. The concerns are on offense, where they're getting nothing from catcher Martin Maldonado and first baseman Jose Abreu and have missed Jose Altuve. Meanwhile, Yordan Alvarez returned Saturday after missing nearly a week with neck tightness. Maybe the Astros don't cruise to 106 wins and an easy division title again, but they remain the favorites in the AL West despite the so-so start.

34 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Yeah, that's the thing about the question asked earlier about a platoon with Meyers. Obviously, McCormick *has* to play vs. lefties. But even against righties, for all his supposed struggles, he's basically league average for his career, still significantly better than Meyers.

Brantley needs to be someone's platoon partner against RHP.  It could be Meyers or it could be Julks.  Either way is fine.  Chas plays against all handedness as he eats first as the best player, imo.