2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

48 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I thought the Abreu signing was fantastic.

I was ok with it but worried about his age/decline.  I wasn't as ready to tar and feather Keith Law about it as most of you all were.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Its early. He sucks every April. If you are going to give Bregman that excuse every season then give him the same
Also he is historically a beast in August. So get ready

Abreu is over 200 points below is average start in OPS. He sucks right now. Bregman at least is near MLB average, Abreu is 43 points below it.

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:
8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:
Abreu is over 200 points below is average start in OPS. He sucks right now. Bregman at least is near MLB average, Abreu is 43 points below it.

Cool. Bregman sucked 2 weeks ago and everyone was freaking out. Its what they do

Bregman isn't 36 years old. Abreu could mash the rest of the season, but this start is more worrisome than Bregman's.

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:
7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Cool. Bregman sucked 2 weeks ago and everyone was freaking out. Its what they do

Hopefully he can hit his first HR as an Astro soon. With over 240 career homeruns, it seems to be a big part of his game that he just hasn’t brought to Houston yet 

42 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Utterly ridiculous that Maldanado keeps catching.  Every game he catches our starters get one inning of bad pitch sequence. 
And that would be fine if he could hit his weight 

His salary is manageable enough to sit him. Last contract year didn’t work out. Things happen. It’s ok. 

Dubon down to 712 OPS which I assume is below league average now. 
I wonder if this means Sean Salisbury will stop asking questions of Dana Brown like, what do you do when Altuve comes back if Dubon is an all star?  
I’m happy for his hit streak and helping keep us afloat. He needs to be moved back down to 9th in the lineup (Maldy’s needs to sit) and then go back to being a once a week player once Altuve is back (with a big pat on the back for a job well done in April) 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Scraps said:

Nah, Bregman’s underlying data always looked fine. Even two weeks ago, he was hitting the ball as hard as always, striking out and walking as frequently as always, etc. It was clearly bad luck that was driving his poor outcomes and there was no reason at all to worry about him.

You can’t say that about Abreu. His contact quality is way down. His strikeouts are way up. We’ve reached a point in the season at which this data tends to stabilize. The Keith Law critique was based on signs that his bat speed was slowing down. That looks prescient right now.

I’m not saying he’s done, but there are real indicators that he could be in decline; he wouldn’t be the first guy whose skill and production fell off a cliff in the second half of his 30s.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s Abreu’s shelf life in the cleanup spot if he keeps this up? Another frustrating Dusty data point.He gives veterans 6 million chances to right the ship. 

He's been dropped to 6 lately...until today

Y’all dunking on @closetojumpinga week ago- anyone want to change their mind?
his hypothesis was “as long as Dusty continues 

to ___________” (in addition to the stuff about Dubon and Julks sucking) and looking at a lineup like today- after scoring 3 runs in the last 27 innings, I can’t say that Dusty isn’t engaged in match fixing. 
he is so frustrating. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn